Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Franks Happy Place posted:

Nobody cares what that tiny island of racist non-EU TERFs thinks about a single thing, Boris is less relevant to this conversation than the PM of Cyprus.

Shut up and let the real countries like Poland deal with this, that's what you wanted wasn't it?

Nice meltdown but maybe don't reduce the population of a country to it's worst elements when Putin is literally doing that with Ukraine right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

the popes toes posted:

3. The West. The Russian ruling elite believed its own propaganda that Pres. Biden is mentally inept. They also thought the EU was weak because of how toothless their sanctions were in 2014. And then the U.S. botched its withdrawal from Afghanistan, solidifying this narrative.

It would be funny if he went into Ukraine expecting to encounter the kind of on-paper military the U.S. built in Afghanistan only to find out his military was the one on paper.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shut up and let the real countries like Poland deal with this, that's what you wanted wasn't it?

I think that the idea of "real" nations is a little spurious, particularly in this thread. Alongside that, perhaps consider that Poland is not a "less racist" nation. All present nation states are deeply racist in practice even when they are not de jure.

England sucks, I should know I live there, but the desire to scream about the vileness of a nation state and its inhabitants because you deem it less helpful is understanable but not great.

Keep safe!

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Scapegoat posted:

The can dictate all they want. The west isn't going to drop sanctions just because they bullied the hell out of Ukraine.
Sanctions or no, that seems like an extremely lovely outcome from the Ukrainian perspective.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

I think that the idea of "real" nations is a little spurious, particularly in this thread. Alongside that, perhaps consider that Poland is not a "less racist" nation. All present nation states are deeply racist in practice even when they are not de jure.

England sucks, I should know I live there, but the desire to scream about the vileness of a nation state and its inhabitants because you deem it less helpful is understanable but not great.

Keep safe!

This. If England were invaded by a foreign power (g*d forbid, knock on wood, etc.) I would support it with 100% of the energy and empathy that I use to support the brave people of Ukraine. I'd like to think that you all would do the same.

Keep safe, Josef and other UK posters.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Theory regarding the lack of jamming/EW tech use by Russia in this war: they sold it all and/or sold all their own EW resistant tech
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1500624922321768449?t=wwUg4ukWf3dwcPCQa7TAeg&s=19

The quoted tweet:
https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1500622929897345028?t=DcJflyM8YF4_C3_hTLhfqw&s=19

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sir John Falstaff posted:

It would be funny if he went into Ukraine expecting to encounter the kind of on-paper military the U.S. built in Afghanistan only to find out his military was the one on paper.

Part of the problem seems to be that the army was being expected and required to live up to its on-paper specs, resulting in vehicles running out of fuel and breaking down after units were pushed beyond their actual capabilities. The russian army as-it-exists is still moderately scary and could have conquered Ukraine (over a longer time period) if given orders appropriate to what it can actually do, but nobody was in a position to safely say "this is all bullshit, these orders are impossible with what we have."

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Nobody cares what that tiny island of racist non-EU TERFs thinks about a single thing, Boris is less relevant to this conversation than the PM of Cyprus.

I've got some bad news for you re the Polish governments opinions on racism or LGBT people or the EU.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Lone Badger posted:

Part of the problem seems to be that the army was being expected and required to live up to its on-paper specs, resulting in vehicles running out of fuel and breaking down after units were pushed beyond their actual capabilities. The russian army as-it-exists is still moderately scary and could have conquered Ukraine (over a longer time period) if given orders appropriate to what it can actually do, but nobody was in a position to safely say "this is all bullshit, these orders are impossible with what we have."

So is Ukraine "winning" so far? I haven't really kept up with everything

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I'm glad that after hundreds of pages of burned corpses, refugee children, and demolished apartment buildings, that goons could still care about the important stuff.
Defending the British from some mild ribbing.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Its complicated, but they're certainly exceeding expectations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They're losing much slower than anyone expected, and Russia is paying a much higher price for it than they expected.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Regarding Britain they are doing stuff, they took in whole 50 total refugees and everything.

Here's a celebratory BBC article about it: BBC News - Ukraine war: UK grants 50 Ukrainian refugee visas so far

e: They did help a bunch with the military side of things to be fair.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 7, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

No, not creepy at all. And why are you saying "reminiscent"?

https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1500536068273229834?cxt=HHwWlMCyodPm_NIpAAAA

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

They're moving on from giving Russia a bloody nose and starting on a broken jaw and/or other limbs at this point.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The correct term for britain is "Miserable Island full of TERFs."
We'll also accept "paedo Island" or "knife crime island"

I very much hope our entire government eats poo poo after the Russian economy collapses since they're all funded by them.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

I was shocked that that dude is in his 20's.

Also, he lost to a Ukrainian.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

And now the anthem of the Russian Olympic Committee.
*Tomorrow Belongs to Me starts playing*

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

I was shocked that that dude is in his 20's.

Also, he lost to a Ukrainian.

Ah, a loser, like all of those who wear the Z.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Random Integer posted:

I've got some bad news for you re the Polish governments opinions on racism or LGBT people or the EU.

I have to imagine whatever country they come from is a paradise with no unsavory element whatsoever

KitConstantine posted:

Theory regarding the lack of jamming/EW tech use by Russia in this war: they sold it all and/or sold all their own EW resistant tech
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1500624922321768449?t=wwUg4ukWf3dwcPCQa7TAeg&s=19

The quoted tweet:
https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1500622929897345028?t=DcJflyM8YF4_C3_hTLhfqw&s=19

It's all pretty amazing. I'm curious if this complete ineptitude by the Russian military combined with their really subpar equipment in places comes as a shock to Western intelligence. In some reality where Russian didn't have Nukes it feels like Nato could fairly easily roll the Russians over. I imagine the general feeling in Russia was that they were still competing with the West in that respect but this is such a embarrassment that must be fairly shattered now.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 7, 2022

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Mebh posted:

I very much hope our entire government eats poo poo after the Russian economy collapses since they're all funded by them.

lol this guy gets it

You'll catch me dead before you find me defending the existence of Canada

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I understand the concept of selling off your military equipment for vodka money, but who are you selling them to? What is the market for military grade Russian GPS receivers?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

He did it during the award ceremony, where 1st place went to his Ukrainian competitor. Sore losers always come off as pretty pathetic, but that's really taking it to a new level.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

OrthoTrot posted:

I really don't get what this argument is supposed to be. I mean, an armed insurrection created the United States but that doesn't mean it's legal to have one there now does it? Just on a logical level you're comparing apples and ford cortinas.

And with regards to the second point, the argument you're responding to was about the Soviet Union, not Russia currently. And even still, as numerous others have pointed out, things can be legal on paper in Russia while the state has complete power to shut down whatever they like.

I’m…not making an argument? Just responding to a question about history.:confused:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Upgrade posted:

I understand the concept of selling off your military equipment for vodka money, but who are you selling them to? What is the market for military grade Russian GPS receivers?

Not selling exactly. They go on the books as being purchased. Instead those funds are spread out among the gang. Which is ok in any other Russian sector, but they may have been a little too enthusiastic about that particular cash cow. Putin's probably pissed with them too by now.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bremen posted:

He did it during the award ceremony, where 1st place went to his Ukrainian competitor. Sore losers always come off as pretty pathetic, but that's really taking it to a new level.

That's unbelievably petty, my goodness.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Bremen posted:

That’s a pretty lovely gesture. On the bright side, gymnasts have short careers and since Russian athletes have basically been banned from international competition (apart from this specific one, which the gymnasts were already participating in) this guy probably is never going to compete again outside of Russia.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Just Chamber posted:

I have to imagine whatever country they come from is a paradise with no unsavory element whatsoever

It's all pretty amazing. I'm curious if this complete ineptitude by the Russian military combined with their really subpar equipment in places comes as a shock to Western intelligence. In some reality where Russian didn't have Nukes it feels like Nato could fairly easily roll the Russians over. I imagine the general feeling in Russia was that they were still competing with the West in that respect but this is such a embarrassment that must be fairly shattered now.

west point actually had a panel discussion intended for its cadets about the ukraine invasion that assessed the economic and military aspects of the war from some people who are actually experts. the assessment from the russian expert in the group was that they were very surprised russia did not use its known ew and air assets during the war and that russia was largely not following its own doctrines for conducting an invasion like this. and they believed it was probably politically-driven decision-making to not deploy assets they "wouldn't need" rather than one based on their actual military need, especially given the need for secrecy that led many units to have no idea they were going to invade ukraine until essentially the attack was ordered. a lot in there won't be new to you if you obsessively follow this thread, but i did think it was interesting insight from people who presumably know what they are talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXEvbVoDiU0

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Upgrade posted:

Is there any real black market for GLONASS receivers?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Kith posted:

That's unbelievably petty, my goodness.

lol look at this absolute bitch

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Upgrade posted:

I think the consensus here is that most likely, whatever rich oligarch got the contract for those, bought cheap Chinese knock-offs and pocketed the difference.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

It makes me wonder the condition of the GLONASS system, their alternative to GPS, right now and it looks like they're not even using it, in favor for a terrestrial GNSS.

https://www.gpsworld.com/russia-expected-to-ditch-glonass-for-loran-in-ukraine-invasion/

Mebh posted:

Waiting for the date that Kompromat.zip drops because it'll be like a loving wave.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 7, 2022

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Grape posted:

I mean, he does look like a bottom, yes.

Supposedly Russian and Belarusian gymnasts are being banned but I guess this event was prior to that kicking in.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

What do you mean?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Young Freud posted:

It makes me wonder the condition of the GLONASS system, their alternative to GPS, right now and it looks like they're not even using it, in favor for a terrestrial GNSS.

https://www.gpsworld.com/russia-expected-to-ditch-glonass-for-loran-in-ukraine-invasion/

Isn’t LORAN like a WWII era technology? Presumably some aspects of it have been improved upon but all the same, lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grape posted:

Absolutely baby backed, as the saying goes.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I refuse to believe they are using LORAN-C

lmaooooo

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Grape posted:

Nationalism is such a weirdly toxic brain poison

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

What is this, Ancient Rome? No shame in having a preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grape posted:

Powerful Joffrey Baratheon energy.