Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

The art's about what you'd expect form a 90s licensed comic, mostly on-model, one issue however:

It's like they didn't know when to stop drawing it

Laying the groundwork for a robocop crossover that never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jedit posted:

Yes, it was. At the end of To Dream In The City of Sorrows Catherine disappears into a time rift created by the Great Machine. It's unknown exactly what happened to her after that, but it's believed that Sinclair used the Triluminary to convert her into a Minbari and that she is the wife of Valen mentioned in 4X09 Atonement.
I was just reading up on this. JMS said that when Delenn stated that Valen's family left Minbar "to escape those who would persecute them." it may have been due to a scandal surrounding Valen's wife.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gnome de plume posted:

The art's about what you'd expect form a 90s licensed comic, mostly on-model, one issue however:

To be fair Garibaldi's forehead never stopped.

The B5 comic was mostly illustrated by John Ridgway, the original artist on Hellblazer. His heads always looked slightly odd to me - I think he had a tendency to enlarge them a little bit to allow more detail in the facial expressions - but he was a very good artist, particularly when he wasn't colourised. He learned the comics trade in the 1950s from Frank Bellamy, the original artist on Dan Dare, and probably got the habit from him.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Souls are like farts.
They're not you, but are a part of you.
And once one escapes your body, you can never put them back.

Therefore doc was right.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wasn't there a subplot in Legend of the Rangers about a haunted Ranger ship? And the Minbari second in command was psychic and could see the ghosts? It's been a while since I last saw it so the details are hazy.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Wasn't there a subplot in Legend of the Rangers about a haunted Ranger ship? And the Minbari second in command was psychic and could see the ghosts? It's been a while since I last saw it so the details are hazy.

Yes, the Liandra supposedly was haunted. It’s also implied that the ghosts were upset because someone betrayed them and that traitor was back on board. (My money is on the otherwise forgettable doctor character.) But that could be a telepath picking up the residue of psychic trauma, or even receiving spill-over from the mind of the traitor.

Odds are we’ll never know.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

There are a LOT of long-term plots that need to get wrapped up one way or another. I'm certainly not expecting a storybook happy ending for all of it, but I do still think that most of it will end well. Of course, there's still a LONG way to go, with plenty of time for our protagonists to get dragged through the gates of Hell. I just don't expect those gates to slam shut on them. :)

I'll go way out on a limb and make few actual predictions, both medium- and long-range. Note that I don't have much faith in any of these:
  • The redemption of Londo, probably on the last of the three "chances" that Majel Barrett told him about a couple episodes ago.
  • The bad guys (eventually) get their comeuppance, particularly Morden, Bester, and President Clark.
  • Justice for the Narns.
  • The newly-independent Babylon 5 becomes the nucleus/capital of a new "nation" of various groups all over the galaxy, of multiple species, who are willing to tell their assholish governments what to go do with themselves and fight on the side of good.
  • Earth (Earthgov, at least) will be one of the main bad guys, perhaps openly allied with the Shadows.
  • Londo and G'Kar do actually die with their hands on each other's throats, but with some kind of clever circumstances that make it not what you would presume at first glance.
  • Commander Sinclair will play an important part, although I don't know if he'll return in person, given the actor's real-world health issues.
  • Also, Babylon 4 will be back -- I imagine a cool scene of the two space stations side by side, blasting the hell out of an enemy (Shadow?) fleet between them.
  • There's more of a connection between the Shadows and the Vorlons than has been let on. (Maybe they're the same species, but with different philosophies?)
  • Sheridan and Delenn are totally going to hook up. Ivanova and Marcus too.

I feel like all of this is dead-on except for Bester getting bested.

I guess Londo doesn't so much redeem himself as he just manages to move past it and keep doing the best he can. I guess I never really understood the prophecy's turning points all that well. Possibly the story didn't really get to happen the way it was planned?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ivanova and Marcus never did get together.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess Londo doesn't so much redeem himself as he just manages to move past it and keep doing the best he can. I guess I never really understood the prophecy's turning points all that well. Possibly the story didn't really get to happen the way it was planned?

My interpretation was always:

"You still have three opportunities to avoid the fire that waits for you at the end of your journey. You have already wasted two others.

You must save the eye that does not see."

Become friends with G'Kar.

"You must not kill the one who is already dead."

Don't kill Sheridan.

"And at the last, you must surrender yourself to your greatest fear, knowing that it will destroy you. Now, if you have failed all the others, that is your final chance for redemption."

Accept the keeper, sacrificing himself to eventually save Centauri Prime.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

Ivanova and Marcus never did get together.

Well, their life energies did, yadda yadda alien punishment/healing device.

Grand Fromage posted:

You must save the eye that does not see."

Become friends with G'Kar.

I disagree. This would have been him standing up for G'Kar when Cartagia was going to pluck his eye out and preventing that from happening. G'Kar's original eye is the one that did not see.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I disagree. This would have been him standing up for G'Kar when Cartagia was going to pluck his eye out and preventing that from happening. G'Kar's original eye is the one that did not see.

Oh yeah, with that bit he says later about how he sees more now. That makes sense.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grand Fromage posted:

"And at the last, you must surrender yourself to your greatest fear, knowing that it will destroy you. Now, if you have failed all the others, that is your final chance for redemption."

Accept the keeper, sacrificing himself to eventually save Centauri Prime.

I always interpreted that as allowing G'Kar to kill him.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Grand Fromage posted:

"You must not kill the one who is already dead."

Don't kill Sheridan.

I always thought that was Morden, and Londo screwed up by destroying the Shadow ships on Centauri Prime when they would've left on their own in a bit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of Morden, this might have come up in the past, but I think everybody who asked anything from him got what they wanted, even if they didn't make a deal with the Shadows, including the exact form of his own death, right?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
yeah, the one who is already dead is morden (morden even basically spells it out in that scene). surrendering to his greatest fear is either the keeper or g'kar's hands around his throat. londo's chances are in sequential order and has londo not killed sheridan he wouldn't need to surrender himself to his greatest fear. londo has three remaining off-ramps and he ends up needing to take the final one.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Speaking of Morden, this might have come up in the past, but I think everybody who asked anything from him got what they wanted, even if they didn't make a deal with the Shadows, including the exact form of his own death, right?

Londo asks him to go away and he doesn’t exactly do that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, season 4 seems like it has 3 seasons' worth of material.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, their life energies did, yadda yadda alien punishment/healing device.

I'm not sure what that would accomplish, and how exactly Londo would do it. He wasn't even there when Cartagia made the decision. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyGAamLPbt0

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gnome de plume posted:

Babylon Fivehead.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

ultrafilter posted:

I always thought that was Morden, and Londo screwed up by destroying the Shadow ships on Centauri Prime when they would've left on their own in a bit.

Londo couldn't just let them go because the Vorlons might still think there were Shadows still had influence over Centauri Republic. Killing Morden and destroying the ships was the only way Londo could show that the Shadows held no sway over them.

edit: I always that the eye that does not see was that Centauri treasure?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

It is, and it isn't. The fate Londo wishes to avoid is killing and being killed by G'Kar. If Londo saves G'Kar from Cartagia, Cartagia has him killed for treachery and he avoids that fate. If Londo doesn't kill Morden - who must be "the one who is already dead" because Londo doesn't kill Sheridan - then the Vorlons destroy Centauri Prime and he avoids his fate. And if Londo surrenders to his Keeper, it stops his plan to have G'Kar kill him but Sheridan is killed instead and Centauri Prime is lost forever.

What Londo doesn't understand about his vision is that G'Kar isn't murdering him. He's doing what Londo wants and needs him to do, and the only reason Londo is fighting back is because his Keeper is compelling him.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

JMS posted:

There's another way to look at this...
I.
Eye.

We never actually saw how she spelled or meant this.

Given Londo's background, one could almost make the case that the discussion was about him. Not saying that's it, but it's a possibility and a subtext.

The goal was to redeem himself. Sparing Sheridan was part of that. Then he had to surrender himself to his greatest fear: his death at the hands of G'Kar.

Straczynski's explanation has its own issues, but thinking about prophecy makes you dumb; don't worry about it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

It is, and it isn't. The fate Londo wishes to avoid is killing and being killed by G'Kar. If Londo saves G'Kar from Cartagia, Cartagia has him killed for treachery and he avoids that fate. If Londo doesn't kill Morden - who must be "the one who is already dead" because Londo doesn't kill Sheridan - then the Vorlons destroy Centauri Prime and he avoids his fate. And if Londo surrenders to his Keeper, it stops his plan to have G'Kar kill him but Sheridan is killed instead and Centauri Prime is lost forever.

What Londo doesn't understand about his vision is that G'Kar isn't murdering him. He's doing what Londo wants and needs him to do, and the only reason Londo is fighting back is because his Keeper is compelling him.

Not killing Morden would make no difference: the Vorlons were still going to destroy Centauri Prime, and they didn’t because they got called in as reinforcements for the Coriana 6 battle. The difference would have come later, with the Drahk not coming to Centauri Prime as an act of revenge.

mossyfisk posted:

Straczynski's explanation has its own issues, but thinking about prophecy makes you dumb; don't worry about it.

He’s also on record elsewhere saying that maybe Londo should have done something to save G’Kar’s eye “that did not see Cartagia’s glory.”

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Narsham posted:

He’s also on record elsewhere saying that maybe Londo should have done something to save G’Kar’s eye “that did not see Cartagia’s glory.”

And just because Londo wasn't there in person when Cartagia had the eye plucked out doesn't mean he couldn't have done something about it; Londo's decisions to associate with the Shadows directly lead to the entire reconquest of the Narn that included G'Kar's torture, which was symbolic of the torture of the whole Narn people. When it comes to prophecies and portents, everything that goes around comes around.

mossyfisk posted:

Sure, but that's just the right kind of dumb. "I am no man", etc.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

McSpanky posted:

And just because Londo wasn't there in person when Cartagia had the eye plucked out doesn't mean he couldn't have done something about it; Londo's decisions to associate with the Shadows directly lead to the entire reconquest of the Narn that included G'Kar's torture, which was symbolic of the torture of the whole Narn people. When it comes to prophecies and portents, everything that goes around comes around.

Sure, but that's just the right kind of dumb. "I am no man", etc.

Yeah, the point is to be thinking about the range of possibilities which the prophecies open up, not to lock them down.

In fiction, at least. Especially with an author who mapped things out as far ahead as JMS did. Don't hand your life savings to someone IRL on that basis; it's a framework through which to reflect on events as they happen, or at best, an opportunity to plan for possible futures, not an exchange where you hand someone money and they give you a future. A portent doesn't mean anything until afterward, it just holds the potentiality of significance.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In the Season 5 episode "The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari" Dream G'Kar is pretty explicit in his accusation, I think.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like it would be fun to watch Lodge 49 with this B5 crowd.

B5:Man of La Mancha :: Lodge 49: Don Quixote.

I prefer Man of La Mancha to Don Quixote but they are both very good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, after the serious, tense drama of the assassination of Cartagia and then the culmination of the Shadow War, the return to the terran civil war is incredibly upbeat. The joke Londo had when he returned to the station was great, and then right after him and Bester when Zack says there can't be any more interesting visitors, and then a bunch of Elvis (and probably some other rockstars that I can't recognize) impersonators come in right after him. It was great. This is also pushing further into the territory where I remember less of the show.

The fake news report in Illusion of Truth seems downright prophetic for slanted news of today, although it's pretty obvious what it draws influence from. The later part of it goes on too long and is less prophetic, since while I'm sure either Fox or some worse news source covers impossible conspiracy theories with very obviously edited clips, but I don't think it'd be presented like that. I don't think the fact that they discovered and publicized the kidnapped shadow psychics is ever relevant either.

I wonder what Dukat did to become the best, and most respected of the Minbari. Was it just growing a beard?

There was somebody on the blind watch thread that said Delenn and Lennier had some kind of dom/sub relationship, and honestly, if Minbari actually got some kind of arousal from doing their duty or ritual, it'd add some extra dimension to their actions.

So did Delenn marry her great, great grandpa in season 1?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder what Dukat did to become the best, and most respected of the Minbari. Was it just growing a beard?

It was having the mellifluous, dulcet voice of Reiner Schöne. He immediately commanded the respect of the Minbari.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

When they say he was the greatest of all Minbari, they're being completely literal - he's the tallest Minbari we ever see!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dukhat was considered the greatest Minbari leader since Valen because he brought the three castes together and was respected by them all. He was pushing Minbar out of its reclusion and encouraging his people to look forward rather than back. His death reversed all of that, pushing the castes apart again and returning them to insularity. Delenn probably got the B5 position pretty much for the same reason Londo did - nobody else wanted it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Dukhat was considered the greatest Minbari leader since Valen because he brought the three castes together and was respected by them all. He was pushing Minbar out of its reclusion and encouraging his people to look forward rather than back.
And he also grew a beard.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So was OG Draal also highly respected for his beard?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

So did Delenn marry her great, great grandpa in season 1?

If you mean Sinclair, Valen was active about a thousand years before Delenn was born; if the average Minbari lifespan is roughly a hundred human years, it'd be the equivalent of meeting your ancestor from what, about 700 years ago? It gets a bit fuzzy, but for example pretty much everyone of European descent living today has the same ancestors from a thousand years ago, so either everything is incest, or it's meaningless.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Dukhat was also the first Minbari leader to institute a “looking up” policy. Previous administrations had suffered total collapse as a result of aides forever bumping into things.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Given that Sinclair/Valen brought facial hair into the Minbari genome, it could literally be his rockin' beard that earned him (and Draal) respect.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

McSpanky posted:

Given that Sinclair/Valen brought facial hair into the Minbari genome, it could literally be his rockin' beard that earned him (and Draal) respect.

Or maybe they only grow facial hair at a very advanced age? Like when human ear/nose hair starts getting seriously unwieldy?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Or maybe they only grow facial hair at a very advanced age? Like when human ear/nose hair starts getting seriously unwieldy?

JMS once said that originally Minbari just didn't do facial hair but Louis Turenne didn't want to shave his beard when he played older Draal, so JMS changed it to "older Minbari who choose to break with tradition and custom", so Draal, Dukhat, and Lenonn (the old Ranger leader from In the Beginning) had facial hair. It's another case of the show adapting to the realities of filming changing the original intent.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
"Did you notice the peach fuzz on that acolyte? Keep an eye on them, there's a born rebel if I ever saw one."

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

jng2058 posted:

JMS once said that originally Minbari just didn't do facial hair but Louis Turenne didn't want to shave his beard when he played older Draal, so JMS changed it to "older Minbari who choose to break with tradition and custom", so Draal, Dukhat, and Lenonn (the old Ranger leader from In the Beginning) had facial hair. It's another case of the show adapting to the realities of filming changing the original intent.

There's also Neroon's friend who was too wimpy to die in the wheel of fire, episode 414:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Importing a comment from the blind watch thread:

Powered Descent posted:

[*] So the White Star has Vorlon biological technology and grows and strengthens and adapts. And no one thought to tell the Captain (or the audience) about this until literally in the middle of a battle?

i really hate it every time someone surprises Sheridan with relevant information about the capabilities of the force he's commanding. What kind of officer takes command and doesn't get a thorough briefing? JMS really struggles to capture military logic sometimes.