Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Capacitive touch keyboard w/ a synth module attached? Music easel clone if I ever saw one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

volca

volca

volca

volca

volca

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

inferis posted:

He also posted this in response to criticism

Is this volca

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
if I run a KORG app on my iPhone, does it become a Volca?

what if I run a MOOG app

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
While they are obviously not Volcas, they are also being heavily inspired by some design ideas from Volcas like the options accessed through the keyboard. The organization and visual design are literally the same

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 7, 2022

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Flinger posted:

Is this volca

No, it lacks a capacitive touch keyboard. See guide above posted by Ok Comboomer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
are we human, or are we Volca?

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I’m buying the behringer dfam the second its available and maybe a bolca or two and then post about them on gearslutz or whatever and hope people get hella mad.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

While they are obviously not Volcas, they are also being heavily inspired by some design ideas from Volcas like the options accessed through the keyboard. The organization and visual design are literally the same

big volca

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I found a handy 0 hp sine wave generator :science:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

j.peeba posted:

I found a handy 0 hp sine wave generator :science:

slap some buttons and a capacitive touchpad on that sucker and you got yourself a volca baby

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

running around with a plucked chicken yelling behold a volca

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Honestly the biggest thing about the capacitive keyboard on the Obviously Not A Volca is that I feel like the big chonky body with the super thin keyboard looks like it would be super easy to accidentally just snap right off. The Microfreak at least doesn't have that massive of a step down (or at least, doesn't look like it.)

Other than that, while it has one specific design element that looks similar (the font choice on the keys), it's actually definitely not a Volca. poo poo like that is what I *actually* want to see from Behringer. That, the Deepmind, the Neutron and now Proton, that poo poo is cool and interesting. The obvious and clear ripoffs, less neat. I'll even give them some leeway on the Model D because it's doing something the Minimoog didn't: incorporation into the Euro standard.

So to recap: cool new poo poo from Uli - kickin rad; evolutions of old/existing poo poo - pretty okay; complete ripoffs - gently caress off Uli.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I know you posted this as a joke, but here is what I meant for those who couldn't see it

watho
Aug 2, 2013

okay yeah that’s really blatant

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Unlike some other Behringer products, I wouldn't call the Soul line knockoffs, but it's quite clear they are acknowledging the Volca's influence over these new toys. More like a homage.

e: but it's also obviously to compete with Korg because Uli's strategy seems to be to starve other manufacturers with cheaper toys, and that's bad and not healthy competition.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 7, 2022

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Anyway, I found a used Roland Volca DJ-505 on VolcaBay for a couple hundred under VSRP. Can't wait to let it collect dust on my Volca stand.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Well-Tempered Volca, by Johann Sebastian Bach

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
So is :thejoke: that everyone forgot about the monotribe?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Clavavisage posted:

So is :thejoke: that everyone forgot about the monotribe?

?

Ok Comboomer posted:

The Hirotribe press makes it sound like KORG didn’t want to do a Monotribe 2, and also the Monotribe 1 is discontinued, so I don’t necessarily see this as Uli stealing from KORG’s chicken coop.

The joke is pretending the new Behringer Soul synths aren't blatantly trying to be Bolcas when they clearly are.

They still look cool though (but ugly) and at least they are original.
e: lol just noticed even the 4 screws on the front panels are exact copies of the ones on the volcas

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 7, 2022

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

The guitar pedal industry is saturated with companies that thrive despite selling rehashes of 30 to 50 year old circuits for five to ten times more than budget companies like Behringer do. As long as people don't have to do a double take to tell something's not the original with a triangle sticker slapped on (like with the Keystep clone), then they're probably not hurting any other company too badly. No one who picks up a Behringer knockoff was ever going to buy a MOOG and doubly so for anything discontinued.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ugh I just got reminded that I want one of these.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Let me show you my furry volca

His name is Peter Parker, and he loves synths too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the font is also ripped from the monotribe is it not

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

B33rChiller posted:

Let me show you my furry volca

His name is Peter Parker, and he loves synths too.

SYNTH CATS.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
man wait till some of you guys peep a Yamaha Pacifica

you’d have a loving rage stroke

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

e: lol just noticed even the 4 screws on the front panels are exact copies of the ones on the volcas

idk the more I look the more I'm seeing Roland Boutique. the joystick (obvious D-50 rip), the sliders on the Saturn, the color schemes (that Oberheim is awfully close to the Juno)... That minimoog looking one is clearly based on the SE-02

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ok Comboomer posted:

man wait till some of you guys peep a Yamaha Pacifica

you’d have a loving rage stroke

Nah because those are actually cool and interesting lol

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Just earlier today I saw a thread at Mod Wiggler where a guy was missing a surface-mount diode on a Behringer Pro-one and was trying to figure out how to replace it. Either it was never soldered on, or it was done so poorly that it fell off.

My dive into eurorack started because of their Arp 2500 modules, but I never bought any of them and I’m just going to continue to keep my distance from all things Behringer. I think their clones of vintage, discontinued gear are a great idea, but I don’t like it when they clone contemporary and available stuff.

The Neutron helped me learn about patching and ultimately got me into eurorack, and it's still in regular use in my setup, but I'm glad I got it used. Really, if I want something Behringer, at this point I'm just going to buy it used rather than giving money directly to Uli.

Considering how much some fairly basic things cost in eurorack, though, the Neutron is an insanely powerful piece of kit for the $250 I paid for it.

I just bought a spring reverb kit off of Thonk and I can't wait to see what weird things I can do by interacting directly with the spring.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Rolo posted:

Ugh I just got reminded that I want one of these.

i have a paid remix gig coming up in a bit and i was planning on using that to buy a new interface because focusrite really hates windows but man i’m really tempted to pick one of these up instead… decisions decisions

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

idk the more I look the more I'm seeing Roland Boutique. the joystick (obvious D-50 rip), the sliders on the Saturn, the color schemes (that Oberheim is awfully close to the Juno)... That minimoog looking one is clearly based on the SE-02

wait, so did the Juno rip off an Oberheim or did the Oberheim rip off the Juno? (it’s the Oberheim Matrix/DSX livery, for the record)

Also lol at the joystick being an “obvious D-50 rip” when it’s clearly a Prophet VS clone. Or do you think that the gajillion synths that have shipped with a similar joystick are aping the D-50?

Do you even know what synths these are aiming to clone?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 7, 2022

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

RocketMermaid posted:

Considering how much some fairly basic things cost in eurorack, though, the Neutron is an insanely powerful piece of kit for the $250 I paid for it.

The crave in particular makes me feel bad because it is so unbelievably bad rear end and I payed less than 200 for it. I don't think I would ever have considered buying a mother 32 though.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Every VST is guilty

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

net work error posted:

Every VST is guilty

They're up to something, I'll grant you that.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I feel like Behringer has some new analog modelling framework they’re looking to turn into products, just like the Roland Botiques.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

snorch posted:

I feel like Behringer has some new analog modelling framework they’re looking to turn into products, just like the Roland Botiques.

I’m pretty sure these Behringers are using actual hardware circuits tho

I’ll leave it up to actual users as to whether ‘physical hardware for way less money in a smaller chassis’ is a win or loss for Uli Coyote vs Roland Boutique

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
drat yeah the moog and oberheim ones are analog. Someone is guaranteed to inevitably put together a $400 8-voice.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

They aren't copying the same synths inspiring the volca products (DX7 for the FM, MS-20 for the kick, ...) they are copying the format.

The Behringer Soul synths are of course based on other synths, but the format looks nothing like the Boutiques and everything like the Volcas. Anyway I'm not trying to convince anyone, if someone doesn't see that the picture below shows they are almost a 1:1 reproduction of a Volca Keys keyboard interface, it's not going to change anything anyway

I owned 5 Volcas and still own a SE-02 so I believe it's great Behringer is making more cheap toys with great, iconic sounds. I'm not making any judgement here. Just stating the obvious that these are clearly Bolcas, and it's very likely that it was done on purpose because it makes people like you and me talk about them for pages, and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

snorch posted:

drat yeah the moog and oberheim ones are analog. Someone is guaranteed to inevitably put together a $400 8-voice.

The Saturn has 3 voices for $99....if they’re chainable that’s 6 voices for $200 and so forth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

snorch posted:

Lol like me since that was exactly the first thing I thought of the moment I saw that Behringer clone.