Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I feel like Legend has burnt himself out, which is the unfortunate effect of content creation. He relies on this series to make his living, but that means he's played it so loving much that it's now something he's not enjoying. So it's this paradox of "I have to play the game to support myself, but I hate the game because all I do is play it".

I think is how it's manifesting for him. I can understand where he's coming from, but I also disagree with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Never let your hobby become your job, said a guy whose job is still way better than mine

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

I found the game had enough other problems that this wasn't helpful for me but you should check out the modding discord. There are already mods you can download and use that remove the chaos realm, add new win conditions, and fix the disbanded Lord upkeep bug.

Sounds like a good plan, thanks.

smug jeebus posted:

I don't even think they need to 'fix' the awful chaos campaign. Once IE drops everyone who doesn't like it will just play that, the same they did in WH2.

I think this doesn't work because IE is going to take months rather than weeks to come out, meaning the poo poo fit the community's having is just going to continue to fester if they don't offer an official fix of some sort before then. Plus DLC with win conditions only pertaining to the realm of chaos map will make people want to play there, but if it continues to rely so heavily on the portals mechanic without offering any official options to tweak them, I think that'll hinder a lot of people's enjoyment even of future content. Of course people can and should mod parts of the game they don't enjoy, but I think this is something leading to enough widespread discontent that they'd be well served to offer players options on how or even if the portals manifest in their game, and sooner rather than later. Just giving people an option to turn them off entirely would be extremely easy, so imo they should do that to tide people over until IE since that doesn't seem to be coming any time soon. Unless they really don't mind if people go away for a while until they have the game ready for a big marketed relaunch down the line.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Just found out you can drag the reinforcement icon around the edge of the map to set where reinforcements actually arrive. Love it!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Alamoduh posted:

Just found out you can drag the reinforcement icon around the edge of the map to set where reinforcements actually arrive. Love it!

Note that the farther you drag it from its original position, the longer the reinforcements will take to come in.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
CA stuck with Rome 2 and that was way more busted at launch and probably had a lot less riding on it.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Mordja posted:

Lol this is pure conspiracy brain. At its most cutthroat level CA is beholden to GW and there's no way GW wants them to cut and run on their money printer.

Yeah man the conspicuously long gap in communication in response to a controversial launch isn't a sign of things to come at all. How long was it before we had mod support after launch for the last game again? They're investing less in what was supposed to be a flagship title than the previous game, what do you think is going to motivate them to invest more?

Sinteres posted:

I think this doesn't work because IE is going to take months rather than weeks to come out, meaning the poo poo fit the community's having is just going to continue to fester if they don't offer an official fix of some sort before then. Plus DLC with win conditions only pertaining to the realm of chaos map will make people want to play there, but if it continues to rely so heavily on the portals mechanic without offering any official options to tweak them, I think that'll hinder a lot of people's enjoyment even of future content.

This is also what I'm talking about, there are plenty of people saying the base game isn't great but they'll come back for IE, which CA has said won't be coming out for 'months' while also declining to put out an actual timeline. If IE doesn't come out until mid-summer to early fall, how many people are actually going to come back, vs moving onto something else in that time? I know the playerbase for TWW2 uniquely grew over the game's lifecycle, but that also came on the back of consistent content and communication from the devs. Not exactly what we're seeing now, only weeks after launch.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think you need to step away for a bit and reconsider why you think a company is acting maliciously because they haven't miraculously produced ironclad promises of future content to an acceptable deadline(note: that the fanbase would absolutely go apeshit over if those were delayed or missed by even a minute) after announcing, openly, that they have to put major bugs and hardware fixes first and there is a nearly 100% chance they'll get back to us about the guaranteed additional toys later. Or that somehow they're willfully and cynically holding back the full might of their dev team to deliver these promises faster because they were able to do so in the past on a simpler title during non-pandemic work conditions.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They might not have learned any lessons about version control from Norsca, but they absolutely did learn that providing deadlines that you aren't 1000% certain you can meet is a very easy way to rile your audience into a screw-brained frenzy. I don't really blame them for not having a set of hard and fast dates to provide for when they can muddle through all of the technical problems without blowing the game up.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
What gap in communication? They posted a dev diary talking about upcoming patches and content updates three days ago. The pitch of desperation in here two weeks after release is ridiculous, and doesn't make me excited to wait out the next couple months. Will people play a game they already bought when a huge free DLC comes out ~3 months after release? Of course they will. Get ahold of yourself.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I have to say that CA's communication is actually quite good for a company of their size. The fact that they're openly recognizing issues and have said that they're working on them is more than you'd ever get from most AAAs. Can you imagine anyone at an Activision or EA developer saying anything like that? Bungie shipped both Andromeda and Anthem, which were varying degrees of hosed up, and then... basically never spoke about either because of how poorly they were received.

The standard line from companies of this size is usually radio silence. CA put out a dev diary three or four days ago now, detailing what they want to do. If anyone was expecting a hard and fast deadline I don't know what to tell them. CA could have easily just stopped talking and left us all in the dark until they dropped a patch out of the blue.

The technical problems (including people outright not being able to actually play the game despite meeting the system requirements) are obviously more important than modding or the big map. Stability is a huge and complex issue; performance is the same. Doomsaying about the future with no evidence of to back it up without vague assumptions based on 3K and Troy (both of which have had significantly less staying power than the Warhammer games, and were thus less lucrative for DLC sales) and applying that idea to WH3 is just hyperbolic. Both CA and GW have said this game is going to have a looooooong tail. WH2 was supported for five years. This is the last game in the trilogy and I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to support it, unless the DLC sales drop off.

CA and GW are well aware that they have a cash cow here. Is the game perfect? Of course not. Does that mean that it failed and will wither on the vine? Not really, no. I mean it COULD, but it's unlikely. CA has every incentive to get this poo poo straightened out so that they can start the content marketing hype train and make even more money. If you're expecting that to happen instanteously with detailed plans, hard deadlines, and 100% transparency... then you're being more than a little unrealistic. Companies don't work like that. Software development doesn't work like that.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm pretty bored of the game and will take a break until Immortal Empires comes out but even so I recognize that this is actually a good foundation to build upon. I just don't like doing the campaign much in this one so I'll wait until there are options

Oh and I actually finished like 3 campaigns by now so I've put quite a lot of hours into it already, so definitely got my moneys worth. But yeah, with no mods and none of the other factions it gets dull rather fast

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Angrymantium posted:

Yeah man the conspicuously long gap in communication in response to a controversial launch isn't a sign of things to come at all. How long was it before we had mod support after launch for the last game again? They're investing less in what was supposed to be a flagship title than the previous game, what do you think is going to motivate them to invest more?

They've literally posted an update every week since release, explainin why they are focusing on what they are focusing on and when things are planned to be released. It's lol that for a game thats apparently so incredibly critically flawed you are having to make up complaints.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Even if CA were to make the incredibly dumb decision of dropping WH3 early (they won't) it would still be AFTER the release of Immortal Empires, Chaos Dwarfs and probably at least a few lord packs. That's the absolute worst-case scenario. We would still be left with the best strategy game in the last 20 years or more.

Both GW and CA aren't that stupid, however. They know Warhammer prints money and they will almost certainly be eager to make as much DLC as possible for WH3.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CancerCakes posted:

Yes they can, they could just run a poll "what game should I play next"

The game is decent, I've put 30 hours into it and I am happy. Seems like there are people here who have put 100 hours into a game in 3 weeks and hate it because it doesn't have the thing the Devs specifically said wouldn't be released for free in a couple of weeks, which is nuts to me. Most AAA games are like 30 hours and done except for multiplayer!

Ya I never understood that. Most games have only so much, Legend has played like 10 campaigns already? You will probably get burned out of any game if you play that much that fast that long. Only multiplayer games don't get stale that quickly and even then you get burn out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mordja posted:

CA stuck with Rome 2 and that was way more busted at launch and probably had a lot less riding on it.

We are still playing rome 2 right now, it is just called warhammer 3.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Third World Reagan posted:

i''m slowly forming this family sitcom in my head where all the kids are the demon LLSs and I'm gonna go walk the dog

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

:goonsay: ackshually, "imperium" is just latin for "power" so it's an appropriate name for the popups you get as you gain power. :goonsay:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The other part in that picture is the family relationship type table which is probably not referenced but does include poo poo like this

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The other part in that picture is the family relationship type table which is probably not referenced but does include poo poo like this

That's obviously for the intricately detailed Dragon dynasty rework that we are getting for Cathay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would probably have more goodwill if the consistent trend with CA wasn't apparently to push busted poo poo out the door all the time and then "apologise" for the state of the thing they knowingly released and try to sell you a bunch of DLC for it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

At least corruption is no longer governed by the religion tables.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

I do sometimes miss the family tree from Rome. It's funny the almost vestigial systems that are still kinda in the game, like the confident attacker and similar trait spectrums, from older games. It doesn't really fit with warhammer so well, but a man can dream.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Due to bad parallel development, it took them a long time to add them to warhammer 2 since they had to modify everything. They were developed for game 1 and couldn't easily port to game 2.

Them having limited cities is just fine though, it is a different playstyle.

They also got neglected after the move to change basic infantry to the major town settlement building. Since they had norscan large, norscan small, elven ruins, coastal towns, and a version for every enemy capital, you got in strange situations where they could recruit marauder champions but not basic spearmen. This took about 2-3 years to fix and still isn't fully fixed.

I know people hate on SFO, but the Norsca campaign in SFO seems to be rather well done? The very basic Lvl 1 settlement building gives you a rather large garrison (like 8 units) and then you can easily boost it to a pretty decent full army with a few buildings. I'm playing a Throgg campaign right now and having fun with it - holding territory is tough but your garrisons can often handle a rebellion, so just let the enemy run wild. As Throgg you get special techs for winning X battles vs various factions so it all helps.

The Norscan Confederation rules in which you can bash someone's faction leader and then instantly confederate is cool. Got an ice dragon on Turn 2 and am having fun just running hordes of marauders with troll backups.

I'm one of those weirdos who pre-ordered Warhams 3 and then hasn't played it at all since I am waiting for the blood patch and modding.

I think every Total War game is practically broken on launch, it's kind of a tradition. It is always best just to assume the Real Launch is a few months after.

I realize the Chaos Realm Race is a pain in the rear end, but .... can you not just ignore it? If the AI wins the campaign, can you just keep playing? If you want to just play sandbox and paint the map you can go for it. In Vortex campaign I often just ignore the whole Vortex thing and just do what I want anyway. The Mortal Empires victory conditions are often ridiculous so I'll just play til I feel like I've 'won' and then start a new one, even if I didn't occupy some far-flung capitol city.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Did people actually like the WH2 campaign? It wasn't as bad as WH3 Chaos (plus never ending minor settlement sieges) but... I personally basically didn't play until ME.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Did people actually like the WH2 campaign? It wasn't as bad as WH3 Chaos (plus never ending minor settlement sieges) but... I personally basically didn't play until ME.
Somewhat. I like WH3's more to be honest. Vortex wasnt too bad though. My main problem with it is that it doesn't really matter at all.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I did not actually like the Vortex race, but I loved the map, and even playing an original race, the race is entirely optional (aside from getting a victory screen but who cares about that.) If I never hit the ritual button I can just play the kind of campaign I want without it forcing me to do it.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

When two came out everyone was enamored with the quality of life changes and I personally couldn't get enough of dinosaurs riding dinosaurs. I don't think I ever completed the Vortex until years later. I think my computer at the time barely kept up and when I was playing the final battle it crashed and I just never bothered to reload it. I was having a blast with the game, I just never really felt a need to bring the whole thing to completion and with the Vortex you could essentially ignore it entirely. I remember the thread discussing the Norsca issue, making fun of melt downs about it, and then being increasingly annoyed at the delays for mortal empires. It was less that ME was deemed essential to our happiness, it was more we knew it would just be a better game that also gave us all the first game's races too. What's the point of having rat man armies and dinosaurs riding dinosaurs and fancy chaps in fancy hats if you can't watch the rats go at the dinos and then the fancy chaps and now let's have the dinos and chaps go at it, etc. Variety is better I'm sure we can all agree. I'm enjoying three, but I'm already gaming the race to keep it from operating properly. When a mod comes out to take the race aspect away from it, I'll be down. I can safely say I've already gotten my money's worth and I am now I am eagerly awaiting any and all expansions.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, Vortex was fine, but as soon as ME dropped I never went back to Vortex at all. I suspect the same is going to happen here. If/when a mod drops that basically shuts down the soul race, I'll grab that and enjoy the sandbox until the big map drops, at which point I'll probably spend a few hundred hours on that.

I've already (somehow) blown 50 hours on this, according to Steam. So I can say that I've got my money's worth already.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I liked vortex as long as I was playing a race that didn't have anything to do with the summoning rituals.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I appreciated the way that the race gave you a range of objectives. Do you try to raze Vaul's Anvil to slow Tyrion down, or try to keep it for yourself? Or just grab a ritual resource site from a minor faction? Do you have enough armies to protect your territory from the next chaos wave, or just your ritual sites? It fell apart when you learned how to break it, but then, what doesn't. And the final map was cathartic. And, as stated, the campaign map felt way better, especially if you're doing anything in the far South or West.

It really does feel like the WH3 campaign is just Vortex but worse in every way. Chaos invasions you can't time or ignore, a "race" where it's almost impossible to affect other contestants' progress, and these big climactic battles where your incredible "ability" is just... more units.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I found Vortex more than fine ... for a single playthrough. As I did Forge of Souls. In fact I found Forge better for that playthrough.

The big difference is that after that playthrough I could still play on the Vortex map but tell the Vortex Campaign itself to take a long walk off a short pier in a way that's much harder in the Forge of Souls campaign because I need to run round closing all those portals. That said my "Soulless Skarbrand Smash" campaign is pretty fun. Not even slightly interested in Ursun - instead Skarbrand rift-surfs and beats up anyone to go into the Realm of Khorne before leaving to go fight somewhere else.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

I found Vortex more than fine ... for a single playthrough. As I did Forge of Souls. In fact I found Forge better for that playthrough.

The big difference is that after that playthrough I could still play on the Vortex map but tell the Vortex Campaign itself to take a long walk off a short pier in a way that's much harder in the Forge of Souls campaign because I need to run round closing all those portals. That said my "Soulless Skarbrand Smash" campaign is pretty fun. Not even slightly interested in Ursun - instead Skarbrand rift-surfs and beats up anyone to go into the Realm of Khorne before leaving to go fight somewhere else.

Hell yeah just want to make sure you know you can get all four khorne weapons if you swap it off your lord before hitting the next one happy skulls!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Chakan posted:

I do sometimes miss the family tree from Rome. It's funny the almost vestigial systems that are still kinda in the game, like the confident attacker and similar trait spectrums, from older games. It doesn't really fit with warhammer so well, but a man can dream.

the trait spectrum is one my favorite systems from the older games, I always loved seeing those little bars being filled as your guy went from complete wet noodle to gigantic badass. wish there was more of it in the modern games

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Man I spent 55 turns ignoring the great wall mechanic and then six stacks pop up out of the blue and push my poo poo in. Made some bad movements with the response force and now I'm down to a stack and a half nowhere near the wall. This might get interesting. Having fun with it though, it's nice to have the AI actually present a serious challenge.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I know people hate on SFO, but the Norsca campaign in SFO seems to be rather well done? The very basic Lvl 1 settlement building gives you a rather large garrison (like 8 units) and then you can easily boost it to a pretty decent full army with a few buildings. I'm playing a Throgg campaign right now and having fun with it - holding territory is tough but your garrisons can often handle a rebellion, so just let the enemy run wild. As Throgg you get special techs for winning X battles vs various factions so it all helps.

SFO isn't bad. It is the fans that are bad. It is grimhammer.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
In the end it does feel like they could of pushed the release date further back for 3-6 months and just kept some minor hype rolling and DLC sales in the leadup to the release.

Feb was a pretty big month for game releases and WH3 probably would of been received better if it released with immortal empires and access to all the older content out of the gate instead of them going back to their old mistake of making lots of mini-campaigns nobody very much liked over a big sandbox.

It is sounding like it is Norsca issues 2.0 happening all over again and it'll take most of the year just to update every old faction to WH3 systems and figure out what the end map will look like.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I bought the game and I don't like it at the moment but that's ok because I know it's going to get a lot better. I'm happy to wait.

Legend's big explanation post is laughable and suggests he thinks he deserves to be a developer, talking about how he "made himself available" to CA in any capacity they wanted, but all he got was early access. What did he expect?

Turin has actually gone out of his way to create a multiplayer website to operate as a community hub for the game and is actively involved in organising community made maps for domination mode etc.

On that note, I wonder why the other races haven't been turned on for multiplayer yet, seeing as many of them are actually in the campaign already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Something that has made the portal race more fun for me is the fact that some rounds you can just go on attack mode instead of even bothering with a soul.

For example, Greasus had two souls and was leading the race so I took an army through a portal straight into his territory and started razing his poo poo. Next round he wasn't around with an army capable of taking a soul anymore :3:

You can take a portal and go straight to the enemy capitals if you want. It's pretty crazy if you bother with it

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 7, 2022