Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

moonmazed posted:

she was frozen

Too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Breetai posted:

From the third time it happened each subsequent iteration got a louder and louder laugh of derision from the audience.

I wish I had seen it with your audience. Before it happened on maybe the third time, I said out loud "if he peels his face off, I am going to be really loving pissed off", and sure enough he did. Instead of the audience laughing, there was a theater wide gasp of surprise. Punctuated by my "loving hell!"

I am getting angry all over again, and that was 22 years ago.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I wish I had seen it with your audience. Before it happened on maybe the third time, I said out loud "if he peels his face off, I am going to be really loving pissed off", and sure enough he did. Instead of the audience laughing, there was a theater wide gasp of surprise. Punctuated by my "loving hell!"

I am getting angry all over again, and that was 22 years ago.

i cant believe nobody stood up and clapped. what has the world come to :(

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
To be fair I have been to enough movies that I have seen a joke or two get s solid full theater laugh. I can't remember what movie I was in but I remember the theater was packed and a trailer for The Happening came on and some dude in the back bellowed "IT'S THE TREES!!!!" in full drunk in theater voice and it got drat near a standing ovation from a random group of like 30 that I doubt knew much about the movie. It's rare as hell though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I accidentally got a crowd to laugh during the preroll one time. They played an ad for a new laptop that went through all the specs and features and then, like they were building up to some huge revolution in personal computing, folded out a dinky little three inch secondary display from the side of the screen. I wasn't trying to be funny, I just blurted out "Oh, now what's the point of that?" a little too loud and everybody else in the theatre must have been thinking the same thing because that got a bigger laugh than anything in the actual movie that night

It was not a comedy, but still

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Mission Impossible 2. I can't even remember which of my friends dragged me to it. What at a steaming heap. But it had 2 of my most hated movie issues.

1) The overuse of a gimmick. By the third or fourth time time they used the peel off face with voice chip I was ready to rub popcorn salt in my eyes.

2) Did you pay your continuity editing team with crack? The scene that finally made me walk out was during the big motorcycle chase, you could see everyone was on road bikes of some sort. But when they went onto some dirt, the bikes magically change into motocross bikes. loving hell, you even got a close up shot of the deep knobby tires.

I walked out right then, making all kinds of irrational old man noises.
This movie is number 3 on my most hated list, right behind K-9 and Louis Male's Damage.

Also, gently caress John Woo. Everything he makes is poo poo. I have no idea why he is worshipped as some sort of action movie director god.

Apparently Woo's original cut was 3 1/2 hours. I wish there was some way to see it, even though I doubt it would the movie any better.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hard Target is loving great.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Woo was fine when he was young vigorous and poor.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I give Mission Impossible 2 credit for killing usage of the mask in the series. Every sequel after has rarely used them.

Also speaking of Mission Impossible and irritating moments, I always mention that I hate in MI:III when Cruise is running from a car that explodes behind him, and he flies to the right.

(At the 4 min 45 sec mark in video if the time stamp doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQQ0MXzChcg

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They used the masks pretty well in the most recent M:I sequel. They do a fun gag with it at the beginning and then it's also used for a pretty effective twist later on.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Face/Off is one of the dumbest, best movies ever made.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Monkey posted:

Although it does that thing I hate in movies and TV where two guys with guns both have them pointed at each other and neither shoots the other.

Like...you were both wildly shooting the last five minutes, but now that you have what is a clear shot, you stop to talk. It's not like a sword fight where if you go first you might accidentally leave an opening, or something, for the other. Just loving shoot.

It ALMOST makes sense for whichever one was the cop at the time (Travolta?) to not shoot because he's the "good guy" and shoot arrest Cage, not kill him...but there's no reason for Cage's character to not pull a Frank Reynolds and start blastin'.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Mierenneuker posted:

Apparently Woo's original cut was 3 1/2 hours. I wish there was some way to see it, even though I doubt it would the movie any better.

New thread title. :You should have seen the director's cut!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
The entire Vatican break-in in M:I3 revolves around Tom Cruise wearing a Philip Seymour Hoffman mask.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Also the villain uses one of the masks in Ghost Protocol. I think 5 is the only one that doesn't have the mask in it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i mean the 80s tv series had a mask guy (i guess that was a remake too but i never saw the original so idk if it was a thing there too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=najnclm0F50

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Mar 4, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Carthag Tuek posted:

(i guess that was a remake too but i never saw the original)

You should, it's really good. Every episode is a classic 60s heist movie, but without the boring part where they spend an hour getting the team together and introducing everything

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flavor.flv posted:

You should, it's really good. Every episode is a classic 60s heist movie, but without the boring part where they spend an hour getting the team together and introducing everything

hell yeah im into that

question: are there masks?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh yes, dozens of them. The show invented the slow mask pull-off scene. But they're always treated as a big deal that requires a professional to make and apply, and nobody ever just pulls one out of their pocket

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Gaunab posted:

I give Mission Impossible 2 credit for killing usage of the mask in the series. Every sequel after has rarely used them.

Also speaking of Mission Impossible and irritating moments, I always mention that I hate in MI:III when Cruise is running from a car that explodes behind him, and he flies to the right.

(At the 4 min 45 sec mark in video if the time stamp doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQQ0MXzChcg

That was a GREAT wire pull, so what if it was in the wrong direction?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
MI topped itself as a movie franchise when Henry Cavill reloaded his arms during the bathroom fight in the last one.

Also, the game Stranglehold was the best John woo movie ever.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

flavor.flv posted:

I accidentally got a crowd to laugh during the preroll one time. They played an ad for a new laptop that went through all the specs and features and then, like they were building up to some huge revolution in personal computing, folded out a dinky little three inch secondary display from the side of the screen. I wasn't trying to be funny, I just blurted out "Oh, now what's the point of that?" a little too loud and everybody else in the theatre must have been thinking the same thing because that got a bigger laugh than anything in the actual movie that night

It was not a comedy, but still

That's my Fantastic 4 (2016) experience; after they rolled credits and were like "5,000 people worked on this project," I just grumbled "5,000 people made a turd," which somehow people in the front heard.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flavor.flv posted:

Oh yes, dozens of them. The show invented the slow mask pull-off scene. But they're always treated as a big deal that requires a professional to make and apply, and nobody ever just pulls one out of their pocket

2nd hell yeah!

looking for linux isos now

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Torquemada posted:

Woo was fine when he was young vigorous and poor.

I was looking at Wikipedia trying to figure which non-english Woo films I'd seen, and I have a theory that when people say they like Woo, what they mean is that they like Chow Yun-Fat.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Elissimpark posted:

I was looking at Wikipedia trying to figure which non-english Woo films I'd seen, and I have a theory that when people say they like Woo, what they mean is that they like Chow Yun-Fat.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
CYF is dope as hell of course, but once again Hard Target.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Elissimpark posted:

It's like how some people say they like Mel Brooks movies but they actually like Gene Wilder movies.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also Red Cliff.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Breetai posted:

It's like how some people say they like Mel Brooks movies but they actually like Gene Wilder movies.

History of the World Part I and Spaceballs are my favorite Mel Brooks movies and I think there's a distinct lack of Gene Wilder in both of them.

Unless he was a hidden driver of an ambulance leaving a hospital

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I too enjoy JCVD films...

Patrick Spens posted:

Also Red Cliff.

...and Tony Leung films. That's why Hard Boiled is so good, it has Tony Leung and CYF.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

History of the World Part I and Spaceballs are my favorite Mel Brooks movies and I think there's a distinct lack of Gene Wilder in both of them.

I like History of the World Part I as much as anyone, but to like it more than Young Frankenstein is crazy. That film is almost perfect.

(Blazing Saddles is still great, but it doesn't stick the landing.)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Captain Monkey posted:

face off has some amazing scenes but actually watching the movie is very tedious

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It needs to be like 20 minutes shorter

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
A couple years before the Rona I went to see Face/Off in a theater full of people very excited to see Face/Off. That's probably the best environment to watch it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

MI topped itself as a movie franchise when Henry Cavill reloaded his arms during the bathroom fight in the last one.

He also summons a pocket onto his shirt. And I've no idea how something like that happens.

Edit:turns out the pocket is there all along, its just not very obvious.

Strom Cuzewon has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Mar 6, 2022

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

His beard also grows in a 2 second span

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

oldpainless posted:

His beard also grows in a 2 second span

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

DrBouvenstein posted:

Although it does that thing I hate in movies and TV where two guys with guns both have them pointed at each other and neither shoots the other.

Like...you were both wildly shooting the last five minutes, but now that you have what is a clear shot, you stop to talk. It's not like a sword fight where if you go first you might accidentally leave an opening, or something, for the other. Just loving shoot.

It ALMOST makes sense for whichever one was the cop at the time (Travolta?) to not shoot because he's the "good guy" and shoot arrest Cage, not kill him...but there's no reason for Cage's character to not pull a Frank Reynolds and start blastin'.

Have you seen The Way of the Gun? This sweet scene might change your mind about that trope.

https://youtu.be/BovXzH36M0I

That escape tactic looks very effective because if you shoot someone that has a gun already pointing at you, you will probably get shot too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Saw Fast and Furious 9. Might be the dumbest movie I've ever watched (while still being quite entertaining). My complaint is that Roman's existential crisis doesn't get enough time and also while what he is saying is wild, the fact that he has bullet holes in his jacket and yet is unharmed does warrant questioning (I remember seeing him in a rpevious scene with those bullwthples and wondering how they got there without him being hurt).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Any time in any action movie an actor lands from some height in, you know, that pose. Where they have like one knee on the ground and they're looking down but then look up real dramatically. It's like a loving knock-knock joke, or a meme; it's like a reference to something so loving lost to time that it's just referencing the reference, or just doing it because we all don't loving know how not to do it anymore.