Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

My biggest gripe about Elden Rings UX (and generally most FromSoft games) is that there is information that is left vague in the UI but not in a way that actually advances the experience. I have a status page, and I have little icons showing my buffs. Why wouldn't the status page have a rundown of what those buffs are doing or at the very least what they mean?
:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lid posted:

Why does it feel like literally every website has the spirit summons ranked differently? Ancestral Follower is all over the place, though it seems most places haven't realised that his power is that he heals on kill making him ideal for camps as he won't be worn down via attrition. Some of the elite summons have been godlike on one ranking and the next thing says its F-tier.

Ancestral follower is gold and has been my companion through many trying occassions

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
drat dude, I think I have three ending options available to me already and I legit don't know which I fancy but guess I can go forward a bit still before choosing.

First, dollwitch's questline was cool but I am not really sure where she's trying to go with things. I like stars, though and a good ol' usurping of a cyclical order is always cool.

Second, Fia slept with this big mermaid of death and wants me to do some poo poo to make the elden ring all pro-death or something? I'm level 100, of course I am pro-death.

Third, chaos! Well poo poo, chaos is always good too, the universe wants more entropy, it just does.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man

Fister Roboto posted:

I found a giant loving hammer. The 2-hand R2 is amazing. You do a somersault over it and then flip it over your head.

Gonna be rocking this bad boy as soon as I can get the 40 strength I need just to 2-hand it :shepface:

That hammer and the Bloodhound Knight armor is a pretty slick look. Too bad I'm a scrub and my shield reliance ruins the profile.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If it ain't Ancestral Follower or Jelly bby or occasionally the lone rangers wolves

Then buddy I want no part of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

I refuse to believe this double boss in Redmane castle is beatable. It's insane. I'm at 8+ weapon upgrade but it might as well be nothing because I'm dealing 2 hyper aggressive bosses.

Should I just explore Altus instead?

You should explore some more mines and farm some upgrade materials, more like. non-uniques go up to +25, so if you're at +8 in the midgame then you could stand to upgrade some more for sure.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

huh posted:

2 things:

* Hoarfrost Stomp is certain death for those being invaded. Sorry, dudes.

* Triangle + d-pad is a game changer for flasks. Thanks for whoever suggested that.

Dang, putting one or both flasks in your quickpouch to eliminate frantically cycling through all your items or even having to wait for the hold dpad down trick is a really good idea. Right now I've got horse and a couple of summons but they can definitely go in with regular items.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Gonna use the time honoured method of complaining about a boss so I can succeed next time: the Caelid shardbearer is some hilarious, jaw-dropping bullshit. I can make it through the first phase pretty consistently by hanging back and chucking spears while my buddies get slaughtered, but then the goddamn meterorite wipes them all out and I get to run around resummoning them 2 at a time until he decides to do his undodgeable floating rock attack and just end me.

(I've got enough to survive most of his attacks so I know I'm not underleveled, which leaves the inescapable conclusion that I just need to git gud)

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
what the gently caress is this 15 armed piece of poo poo in the shaded castle and why is it harder than every other shardbearer combined

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Glimpse posted:

Oh god, the Bloodborne belt lantern is such a qol improvement. Remember when all we had was skull-lamps or head maggots? Miyazaki is getting soft.

That's the Dragon's Dogma belt lantern. :colbert:

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

JBP posted:

I know everyone posts the quest log thing as a funny joke and I do like jokes but I also found it very hard to remember how many eagles I had collected and it made me pretty angry tbh

You need to go to Jefan the Mute. After you hand him 3 pieces of fresh dung that you can find in Omicron the Unbeatable’s secret latrine of despair, he will offer to tally thine eagles from your bag of birdslaying. Make sure you picked the latrine key as your starting gift!

He will however only use gestures to communicate his answer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The torch lights up 4x the space and is more fun imo. I thought the belt lantern was rad when I bought it and used it for 2 minutes and forgot about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also more often than not R3 is my lantern

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You should explore some more mines and farm some upgrade materials, more like. non-uniques go up to +25, so if you're at +8 in the midgame then you could stand to upgrade some more for sure.

Thanks. I've been saving up my somberstones because I havent found a fun looking heavy weapon yet but my broadsword is really not doing anything at these upgrades. I'm going back to west part of the map and see if I can get some good upgrades before returning to Caelid.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

I refuse to believe this double boss in Redmane castle is beatable. It's insane. I'm at 8+ weapon upgrade but it might as well be nothing because I'm dealing 2 hyper aggressive bosses.

Should I just explore Altus instead?

If you can, beat down the first one, then run to the left and jump up on the stage. You can then kite attacks on the second boss from there. It takes a long time but it's how I beat it after 112 tries.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

look for tunnels north of the castle (they look like little red buttholes on the map) and you should be able to get a bunch of 3-4-5 smithing stones.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

My biggest gripe with torches is that you can't swap out the weapon art on the Ghostflame torch, it's cool as hell and would use it if it had an even remotely useful skill.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

Is there anything more to Redmane than the courtyard and like one room from the outside ladder? I can see an item through a door but couldn't find a way up to the roof.

Go back outside and cross the bridge instead of teleporting inside the castle. Castle has two states, and the non-festival one has a different boss. I did it post-festival myself, so you shouldn't be locked out of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I kind of hope they nerf these op weapon arts asap. I just stumbled on bloody slash in my inventory 2 hours before I quit playing for the night and spent the evening one shotting every enemy and killing bosses in 5 hits. At the same time I am too weak willed to not to keep exploiting it and mulching everything in my path. Just want to go back to normal times but a new addiction has presented itself.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Flytrap posted:

what the gently caress is this 15 armed piece of poo poo in the shaded castle and why is it harder than every other shardbearer combined
Easy strategy spoiler: casting Heal in its vicinity does loads of damage and poise breaks it. I have no idea how the hell someone figured that out, or whether it applies to any other enemy

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I've been using the skeleton militiaman summons ever since I got them and they haven't failed me yet (besides bodyblocking my dodge rolls :shakefist:). They're so good at drawing attention while I attack the target's squishy, vulnerable backside with impunity.

That said, good loving lord gently caress Starscourge Radahn. The amount of difficult to dodge instant kill attacks that boss can pull out of its rear end out of nowhere is infuriating. I can get to the second phase 90% of the time now, so that's something, but the amount of rock-related horseshit he gets up to after that just puts a right stop to anything.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Filthy Haiku posted:

Beat the boss of the capital and... that's it? Really? I'm not trying to brag but I burned it down with my Mimic ashes before he could really uh, do anything. I've been underwhelmed by all the rune bearers but Godrick and Radhan so far.

You're basically using the game's built in easy mode then shocked when the game is too easy. I'm convinced this ash spirit is what From added instead of a menu toggle. They even have it consume HP instead of FP, so any build can use it.

Of course nothing wrong with with using the easy mode! I used it for the last couple bosses. Should just understand what it is.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I deeply appreciate ballista existing, giving strength builds a ranged option that doesn't suck.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Khanstant posted:

drat dude, I think I have three ending options available to me already and I legit don't know which I fancy but guess I can go forward a bit still before choosing.

First, dollwitch's questline was cool but I am not really sure where she's trying to go with things. I like stars, though and a good ol' usurping of a cyclical order is always cool.

Second, Fia slept with this big mermaid of death and wants me to do some poo poo to make the elden ring all pro-death or something? I'm level 100, of course I am pro-death.

Third, chaos! Well poo poo, chaos is always good too, the universe wants more entropy, it just does.

There are two other endings. You may have been locked out of one (not sure, I assume you have to talk to the people involved to progress) and the other requires you to co-operate with a real piece of poo poo

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Gato posted:

I get to run around resummoning them

I've put 20 hours into this game thinking I can't resummon in the same encounter because I just didn't refill my mana.

Wow.

EDIT: Okay, I'm not a complete fool.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 7, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Devorum posted:

I've put 20 hours into this game thinking I can't resummon in the same encounter because I just didn't refill my mana.

Wow.

Just that specific encounter you can resummon the gold signs on the floor in the boss arena

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Gato posted:

Easy strategy spoiler: casting Heal in its vicinity does loads of damage and poise breaks it. I have no idea how the hell someone figured that out, or whether it applies to any other enemy

That you very much, that was incredibly effective and satisfying even if it seems to have been a waste of time. I figured he was gonna drop something but nope, just some a spirit upgrade flower I think.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jasoneatspizza posted:

You're basically using the game's built in easy mode then shocked when the game is too easy. I'm convinced this ash spirit is what From added instead of a menu toggle. They even have it consume HP instead of FP, so any build can use it.

Of course nothing wrong with with using the easy mode! I used it for the last couple bosses. Should just understand what it is.

I mean, nothing I'm hearing makes it sounds like choosing not to take the 'easy' mode is remotely fun. It's just running into the same wall again trying to get perfect timing dodge or parries every time while trying to slowly chip away at massive yet insanely fast bosses with 2nd phases that absolutely wreck your poo poo.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
This might get the Civvie award for worst sewer level in a game because gently caress this place wow. Just offensively aggravating in a way I can't really articulate.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Filthy Haiku posted:

This might get the Civvie award for worst sewer level in a game because gently caress this place wow. Just offensively aggravating in a way I can't really articulate.

Which one?

And unrelated but just rampant future content speculation I don't want to double post about : There are like three giant colosseum style buildings with no way in. One in Limgrave with a ghost outside desperately wanting in, one in Caelid with the big jar out front, and one in Leyndell. They're big enough to be drawn on the map, there's no way they're just not going to be nothing, right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

I mean, nothing I'm hearing makes it sounds like choosing not to take the 'easy' mode is remotely fun. It's just running into the same wall again trying to get perfect timing dodge or parries every time while trying to slowly chip away at massive yet insanely fast bosses with 2nd phases that absolutely wreck your poo poo.

Eh. Most bosses can be done perfectly fine without summons, I beat a huge chunk of the game (quite literally 4 major zones and 2 shard bearers) before I learned how they worked. They're absolutely an intended part of the loop this time, as from controls when and where you can use them, so not using them is just making the game harder than intended but never impossible.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

pentyne posted:

I mean, yeah. I think what they've done is given the player more control over how they want to have fun. Difficulty options without being explicit about it. Regular spirit summons are like normal mode. No spirit summons hard mode. Mimic is easy mode. I'm FOR this. It's a good thing that people of varying skill levels can enjoy the game. And From has given players a way that isn't simply lowering or raising enemy hit points.

What I think is weird is complaining about easy mode being too easy, or hard mode too hard. You can adjust the difficulty to your taste.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
It took me over an hour of farming the War-Dead Catacombs mobs, but I finally got the Cleanrot set (plus two Cleanrot Spears for when I feel like powerstancing)
it's very stylish

unfortunately i had to dump like 10 more levels into endurance to actually wear it with my greatsword, but it was worth it.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 7, 2022

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

i've been using and abusing the poo poo out of mimic tear once i realized what it did and how well it does it

i dont consider it a built-in "easy mode" or anything, i think it's simply just overpowered (and you bet your rear end im using every dirty trick available in a souls game)

a +10 mimic tear is straight up broken though let me tell you. it seems to have more health than the boss sometimes

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What kind of vitality levels are people aiming for? I'm about level 40, put almost all points into vitality and str, so about 27 str 32 vitality. Doing the festival and getting wrecked. What's a normal level for that?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Has anyone heavily used the various dragon rite abilities? Curious how viable they are

The dragon communion incantations? most of them seem very fp-expensive for what they do, although the rot breath is excellent for bosses and usable with a pretty low stat investment.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pentyne posted:

I’ve been playing the game mostly without summons for like 65 hours now and have been having a blast.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

redreader posted:

What kind of vitality levels are people aiming for? I'm about level 40, put almost all points into vitality and str, so about 27 str 32 vitality. Doing the festival and getting wrecked. What's a normal level for that?

You're between 10 and 20 levels too low for what people would recommend.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Barudak posted:

I mean, she is also The gloam eyed queen which, hey, honey, can you call off your apostles?

What? No. You are DEEPLY confused.

The Gloam Eyed Queen is a prehistoric Empyrean killed by Marika and Maliketh to steal and seal Destined Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my biggest gripe with elden ring is that there are too many characters in the lore that have very similar names to each other and it is very confusing