Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pasting this into the corner of unrelated photos would be good meme material.

If only I could make that image the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If only I could make that image the thread title

Triangle Strategy: Serenoa's Convictions Have Been Strengthened.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Not lying, I was tempted to change the thread title to that even before it was brought up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I reached what I assume is the big major choice in the game as it even tells you to save before it.

For those who may have reached it what did you pick. Big spoilers ahead.

1. Roland wants to just give everything to Hyzante. If the land is united under it, then everyone will have equal and better lives, including the citizens of Glennbrook and Asefrost. Minus the Roselle things will continue to suck for them. Roland views losing his Kingdom and the Roselle’s oppression as a small price to pay for everyone else having better lives.

2. Benedict wants to team up with Asefrost against Hyzante as we can’t beat Hyzante without them. Doing so will end Hyzantes monopoly and should also allow Wollfort to take leadership of Glenbrook. The issue is teaming up with Gustadolph who started this whole mess and killed tons of friends and family, also we will be betraying Roland.

3. Frederica wants to free the Roselle imprisoned in the source. As this will make big enemies of Hyzante and Asefrost will to take advantage of our weaknesses after what will be a tough mission, she also thinks we should ditch our lands to travel to uncharted lands in search of a mythical place that may not exist anymore.

I am currently leaning 1 because as a member of the Saintly 7 Seranoa can improve the lives of the Roselle in the Source

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

MonsterEnvy posted:

I reached what I assume is the big major choice in the game as it even tells you to save before it.

For those who may have reached it what did you pick. Big spoilers ahead.

1. Roland wants to just give everything to Hyzante. If the land is united under it, then everyone will have equal and better lives, including the citizens of Glennbrook and Asefrost. Minus the Roselle things will continue to suck for them. Roland views losing his Kingdom and the Roselle’s oppression as a small price to pay for everyone else having better lives.

2. Benedict wants to team up with Asefrost against Hyzante as we can’t beat Hyzante without them. Doing so will end Hyzantes monopoly and should also allow Wollfort to take leadership of Glenbrook. The issue is teaming up with Gustadolph who started this whole mess and killed tons of friends and family, also we will be betraying Roland.

3. Frederica wants to free the Roselle imprisoned in the source. As this will make big enemies of Hyzante and Asefrost will to take advantage of our weaknesses after what will be a tough mission, she also thinks we should ditch our lands to travel to uncharted lands in search of a mythical place that may not exist anymore.

I am currently leaning 1 because as a member of the Saintly 7 Seranoa can improve the lives of the Roselle in the Source

I am leaning towards 3 because gently caress yeah i'm going to be salt moses

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Zerilan posted:

How's the story writing in this game? Kinda on the fence about it and waiting to hear thoughts from people far in/near the end, since Octopath gave me a real strong first impression but I fell off on it midway.

The "political intrigue" part of the story is all very straightforward and obvious. There is very little subtlety to most of it, though granted I have not gotten the True Ending. The characters are all pretty 1 dimensional and nothing special. I expected to come into this game enjoy the story more than the gameplay but it is the opposite. The story isn't bad but it doesn't really do anything new or unexpected. I feel it vastly pales in comparison to like FFT or TO's story, but that is setting the bar pretty high as far as SRPGs go. If you look at it as a standard "lower-fantasy medieval" story it is perfectly fine. Just christ, the VA does the story no favors.

There are some v cool aspects to the gameplay though so I do still recommend the game, just with tempered writing expectations.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Also disclaimer that I am like 75% through a playthrough so maybe it pops off super hard in the very last portion, but that is still a while to get there

also disclaimer disclaimer: after playing the second demo I was 100% down on the game but that has changed. I still have story/character issues but it doesn't necessarily detract heavily from the game rather than highlight how much more it could have been with some more "political intrigue" oriented writing (which is kind of a nebulous criticism but it makes sense in my head, ok)

MotU fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 6, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I literally do not see how the political intrigue is one dimensional and obvious on my playthrough.

This could just be story variation but at this point I think I'm mired in a five+ faction conflict and I have no idea where it's going to go.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a lot of the political moves get heavily telegraphed, but that is intentional in those cases so i don't think they're expecting us to be surprised. though personally I think I would enjoy it more if it was a bit subtler.

but i agree there still are some unexpected developments and I don't fully know where this is going

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will but I feel like if I got to climb as many ladders or pet as many cats as serenoa does, my convictions would be strengthened too

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

my experience thus far

(cat courtesy twitter.com/caglecats)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
To be honest, after years of Fire Emblem games where politics are pushed to the side in favor of Divine Weapon Vs Evil Dragon slapfights it's interesting to see a world where magic is a thing but the whole plot stays grounded and realistic, for the most part

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Junpei posted:

To be honest, after years of Fire Emblem games where politics are pushed to the side in favor of Divine Weapon Vs Evil Dragon slapfights it's interesting to see a world where magic is a thing but the whole plot stays grounded and realistic, for the most part

It’s a bit refreshing one of the primary conflicts is over plain old salt. Wars have been fought over Salt in history after all.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
What difficulty is everyone playing on? I did the demo and the first battle after it on Hard. But I'm finding that despite having done all the imaginary battles, I'm underleveled for the next chapter. And that on Hard, being underleveled means even my tankiest melee units get killed in about 2-3 hits.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Playing on Normal because I was unfamiliar with FFT going in. I'm pretty consistently underleveled as well but largely the missions have been fine. Although I can imagine that if you don't employ the right tactics they can become overwhelming quickly.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Playing on hard, and yeah, enemies do a ton of damage - experience has been you really need to focus down units wherever you can (In Tandem puts in a lot of work) and be willing to pull your line back to avoid the same thing happening to you. Generally between doing each mind battle a few times for resources/trying out new recruits and the XP that builds up across retreats to try and figure out a good strategy for each map, I don't think I've really had issues with being underleveled though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think the difference here is the doing mental battles more than once to bring your forces in line.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The real problem is your party members aren't strengthening their convictions enough.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

Not lying, I was tempted to change the thread title to that even before it was brought up.

I guess it’s better than my fetuses one.

But seriously, I wish I had played the demo before I can up with that thread title because I absolutely would have made it that. I had that pop up after Serenoa’s turn in an imaginary battle with one enemy left, maybe because I could have moved him over and killed the last guy but I didn’t? It legitimately doesn’t make sense.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I'm going to laugh if the game can detect when you are artificially grinding and gives you utilitarian points for it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just sharing the important fact that weapon upgrades aren't just stat buffs-some have full passives that add to your skillset. Serenoa gets one that restores some HP on a kill. Geela gets one that raises the range of all her abilities.

Some also get TP cost reductions on certain skills. Julio gets one for his "give all 1 TP and buff their attack" skill.

And then of course everyone has an ultimate skill unlocked through that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there are straight up new abilities further down too

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Subject: I am the last disciple of Grandante and I need you

To: Serenoa Wolfort

Hello! I am the grandson of the great archmage Grandante! I am also his last disciple! He left me a priceless, magical treasure and I have decided that I want to give it to you! All I need is your full name, address, social security number, bank account number and routing number. Please send me 10,000 coins via bird mail and I will send you back 100,000 coins and the priceless treasure.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The actual game definitely feels way harder than the demo. In the demo I was able to beat the version of chapter where you defend Roland with no casualties and no houses burned with minimal trouble but I'm getting absolutley washed at that chapter in the real game

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Scrap Dragon posted:

The actual game definitely feels way harder than the demo. In the demo I was able to beat the version of chapter where you defend Roland with no casualties and no houses burned with minimal trouble but I'm getting absolutley washed at that chapter in the real game

There are some battles that defy normal tactics and are definitely way harder, but yeah the game does seem to have more teeth than the demo for me. Leaving any character exposed can be a death sentence. I had a map in Chapter 11? 12? Where I h ad the perfect high ground, had all my archers and trappers ready to defend it but didn't realize I had a suicidal NPC in my ranks that completely blew all that out of the water. Thankfully I realized about halfway through I had the Quietus that allows you to teleport a friendly unit up to 8 squares away. I used it to dump him behind a building on the back side of the map and it took him about 10 turns to come back out thankfully.

I'm having to train myself to use the Quietus tbh. Some of them are really good and as far as I can tell they are also the only way to revive downed units once you get the ones that do.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Quite a lot of convictions being strengthened, but the most satisfying conviction this far was Sorsley's.

rot in hell, Sand Quark

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Another refreshing thing coming from Fire Emblem is that all of the archers kick rear end-Hughette is a great disabler who can just immediately get to a high position, and Archibald kick serious rear end, he does so much damage at such ludicrous ranges.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Junpei posted:

Another refreshing thing coming from Fire Emblem is that all of the archers kick rear end-Hughette is a great disabler who can just immediately get to a high position, and Archibald kick serious rear end, he does so much damage at such ludicrous ranges.

Rudolph is no slouch either if you have him. His traps are awesome utility on tougher maps, but he has an ability called Straight Shot which fucks. He can also put enemies to sleep with high damage arrow shots after promotion. I haven't messed with Archibald much unfortunately because his movement is so low. But since his shots do more damage at range he's kind of amazing if you can get him into position with the Quietus that lets you move anywhere within like 8 squares.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Archibald fell off for me past the midgame while Hughette and another route specific archer (not Rudolph) scaled way better. His range is too short on his actives/non-normals also he has low MOV and HP.

Nearing the end of my first run in chapter 18 right now

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Levantine posted:

I'm having to train myself to use the Quietus tbh. Some of them are really good and as far as I can tell they are also the only way to revive downed units once you get the ones that do.

I have serona running around with an accessory that provides a full hp revive. It's kinda nuts, so I play way riskier with him now.

Rudolph is really good. I wasn't expecting to use him or circus kid as much as I do, they both have great toolkits.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 7, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Medina is S tier once she gets enough levels for TP Physick. She becomes a better TP battery than Julio while having long range chemist capabilities including giving an ally an extra turn like Benedict's "Now!"

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 7, 2022

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just picked up another tank (chapter 13 spoilers) Who rides a hawk! Not sure he's a great choice to draw damage since archers would eat him up but he has some interesting stuff. Not sure if I'll be able to fit him in or not but he's got a cool voice and sprite.

I'm just kind of running around willy nilly trusting my gut for choices but some of them have played out differently than I thought from how they were described. I'll probably do at least one more playthrough to fill out the chart. I think there are something like 4 endings.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Flanagan is more of a bruiser/disrupter for dive bombing into the backlines. Their taunt is single target and doesn't always land.

Erador is THE tank, but Groma has a good taunt and can act as an evasion/counter off tank.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

Flanagan is more of a bruiser/disrupter for dive bombing into the backlines. Their taunt is single target and doesn't always land.

Erador is THE tank, but Groma has a good taunt and can act as an evasion/counter off tank.

Erador's is hit or miss for me too, but at least it's AoE. On maps with any elevation at all he tends to be a pusherbot to send folks to their deaths. Provoke has been the best possible way to lock down mages though (when it lands).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Chapter 14, bridge path
Welp, roland you actually became the gently caress up you worried you were lmao

e: oh yo (late game recruit I got at chapter 15) da freakin dawnspear is back

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 7, 2022

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Snooze Cruise posted:

Chapter 14, bridge path
Welp, roland you actually became the gently caress up you worried you were lmao

lol yeah, Honestly I feel like a lot of that tension would be resolved by him revealing himself to be roland when the battle was won but lmao nope. He had to go and stab his sister.

The actual music & first fight was rad as gently caress, tho. It was great owning the two failchildren with frederica

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arrrthritis posted:

lol yeah, Honestly I feel like a lot of that tension would be resolved by him revealing himself to be roland when the battle was won but lmao nope. He had to go and stab his sister.

The actual music & first fight was rad as gently caress, tho. It was great owning the two failchildren with frederica

and yet still somehow not the worst sibling in the game still despite threatening to kill his sister's crush and stabbing her

I love characterization you get when you kill em. thalas is upset if you kill erika first, erika gives no shits if you kill thalas first lmao.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Levantine posted:

Rudolph is no slouch either if you have him. His traps are awesome utility on tougher maps, but he has an ability called Straight Shot which fucks. He can also put enemies to sleep with high damage arrow shots after promotion. I haven't messed with Archibald much unfortunately because his movement is so low. But since his shots do more damage at range he's kind of amazing if you can get him into position with the Quietus that lets you move anywhere within like 8 squares.
I was on the fence with Rudolph but then I figured out that his traps do %-based damage, as they were absolutely wrecking Avlora and Rufus when most of my attacks were just denting them.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is there a New Game + and if so do you start with your levels or gear or any carryover stuff?

Don't think I want to maintain branching saves if it's not strictly necessary but I also don't know how much I'd want to replay early battles.

It'd be nice if they did that visual novel thing where you could just warp to a decision point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Is there a New Game + and if so do you start with your levels or gear or any carryover stuff?

Don't think I want to maintain branching saves if it's not strictly necessary but I also don't know how much I'd want to replay early battles.

It'd be nice if they did that visual novel thing where you could just warp to a decision point.

I don’t think you can warp to decision points, but according to the internet you keep all of your units, items, upgrades (not exp levels, I don’t think), information and notes. Also, battles become more difficult to match the fact that you already have upgrades. Apparently it also shows you which conviction each dialogue choice corresponds to and lets you track how many points you put into each conviction. There are also new, harder mock battles.