Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As illegal and illegitimate as the Crimean annexation was, it would definitely be a huge mistake to try to take it back by force. Ruskies would go completely mental. Plus with all the propaganda and population movement it's probably full of vatniks by now anyway. Best case IMO would be pre-war status quo and continuing EU integration, so hopefully in a few years Crimeans will want to be part of a free and reforming nation and not an authoritarian autocracy failed petrostate. No way would Russia let that happen lol.

E: lol I was just listening to some motivational music and:

quote:

See my chariot run to your ships
I'll drive you back in the sea
You came here for gold
The wall will not hold
This day was promised to me
The Gods are my shield
My fate has been sealed
Lightning and javelins fly
Soon many will fall
We are storming the wall

Stones fall snow from the sky
We will pay with our glory
In the fire of battle
Zeus today is mine
Killing all in my way
Like sheep and like cattle
Smashing skulls of all who defy
I spare not the hammer
I spare not the sword
This day will ring with my name
None have to chase me
Let he who will face me
Kill me or die by the sword

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Der Kyhe posted:

Except for the part that Crimea is still considered by UN resolution and majority of countries to be part of Ukraine, only occupied by Russia.

Exactly the same as with Northern Cyprus and Turkey, or the other Putin-created satellite states in Georgia, Moldova or Ukraine. Saying that it's theirs does not make it theirs.

Yes and if Turkey, the UN or Kevin Feige himself polled the population of Northern Cyprus 2317093870192873 times every nanosecond before, during and after the occupation, incorrectly, somewhat correctly and correctly, on paper, online and by show of hands, it still doesn't change the fact that it's occupied by Turkey but doesn't belong to Turkey.

The same applies to Crimea.

This kind of "Let's annex everything where we have a majority of people who are culturally and ethnically aligned with our country militarily or through phony referendums" is also why Eastern European countries expelled the German population after WWII.

I realize that Ukraine can't take back Crimea right now or in the foreseeable future, but that doesn't change anything.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

As illegal and illegitimate as the Crimean annexation was, it would definitely be a huge mistake to try to take it back by force. Ruskies would go completely mental. Plus with all the propaganda and population movement it's probably full of vatniks by now anyway. Best case IMO would be pre-war status quo and continuing EU integration, so hopefully in a few years Crimeans will want to be part of a free and reforming nation and not an authoritarian autocracy.

E: lol I was just listening to some motivational music and:

It was already full of vatniks because it was famously a retirement spot for the military, security services and politicians so the most privileged and chauvinistic russians were settled there through all of USSR's lifetime

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I guess I need to clarify: the only way Crimea is returning to Ukraine is a collapse of the Russian Federation.

Crimea is de facto Russian territory and threatening its integrity is a red line. This is the point where they'd bust out their NBC arsenal - and if necessary threaten its deployment against major urban centers - because this is very much the use-it-or-lose-it moment for a nation with such capabilities.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

William Bear posted:

From the New York Times:

Some things never change in Europe.

Let me just chime in on this one, as I went there to help. I'm not trying to justify what is happening there, just want to give a clearer picture in how hosed up the situation in my country is.

As these humanitarian groups are giving out free food and drinks to the refugees, a lot of homeless started to show up at the train station to also get some free food. Sometimes it got to the point that people grabbed bags full of sandwiches or clothes brought to the refugees, and just ran off. Yes, my country is so hosed up that we have people stealing bags of sandwiches from refugees. So they started to filter out people by simply asking which town they are from, I haven't seen police specifically going to everyone and asking for their documents. Only saw one specific case when they asked for the documents of a guy who was just standing at the door of the hall where all the stuff was given out, and he took a sandwich from time to time as they passed through the door on trays etc. (I'm pretty sure our police is just as racist as most of the country tho.)

Now why all the religious organizations are refusing to feed the homeless I have no idea. I despise all religions.

As a side note when this war started Orban announced that we will take the refugees, while for the past 5 or so years he's been campaigning against refugees. He said "the difference between Eastern and Ukrainian refugees should be visible to everyone" I WONDER WHAT HE MEANT. So it was really "funny" to see at the train station that 70% of the refugees were African students, 10% Indian students, 10% Zakarpattian roma and about 10% Ukranians. Viktor's nightmare. (Apparently a rumor spread in Ukraine that Poland is not allowing anyone through the border who is "not white", so a lot of foreign students from Ukranian universities headed for Hungary.)

Edit: Oh by the way, I heard that most of the arriving student's tickets have been paid by a single Indian businessman. That's really awesome!

with a rebel yell she QQd fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 7, 2022

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Crimea is a done deal, the only reason not to recognise it as part of Russia is so that it can be used as a carrot in the peace negotiations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Yep but with what is going on and the Caucasus inevitably lightning up soon Russia's territorial integrity will stop being a holy untouchable cow in some way. The empire is likely to start falling apart.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn breaks in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

I always look forward to this. :cheersbird:

:ukraine:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Conspiratiorist posted:

I guess I need to clarify: the only way Crimea is returning to Ukraine is a collapse of the Russian Federation.

Crimea is de facto Russian territory and threatening its integrity is a red line. This is the point where they'd bust out their NBC arsenal - and if necessary threaten its deployment against major urban centers - because this is very much the use-it-or-lose-it moment for a nation with such capabilities.

I thought the latest red line out of Russia was that the NATO has to remove all troops from central and eastern europe along with removing membership from anyone joining after 1997.

What I'm saying is that phrase clearly isn't something with any concrete meaning anymore.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Anubis posted:

The bigger issue is that fertilizer is imported in from Russia and that's obviously not going to be available.

It is being sent, just in ~80kg 180cm bags.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Or at least a collapse of the Putin regime, which I don't think should be considered equivalent to the Russian Federation, but which I do hope happens.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

I have honestly been surprised by the scale of protesting the war in Ukraine in Russia given how draconian the crack down on it has been

More than 4,300 people were detained at anti-war protests across Russia on Sunday, rights groups and Russian authorities say.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60640204

If the war in Ukraine continues to go badly for Russia and the Russian people start to feel and/or worry about the effects of the sanctions taking hold, what are the chances of the protests snowballing into something that would lead to a tangible change?

What would it take for something to give in Russian society do you think? What would that look like?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1500786876172713986

quote:

Russia has approved a list of foreign states commit unfriendly actions against Russia, including:

Australia, UK, EU countries, Iceland, Canada, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, SKorea, San Marino, Singapore, USA, Taiwan, Ukraine, Montenegro, Switzerland, Japan

— RIA

China will appreciate Russia's recognition of Taiwan as a foreign state.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
San Marino better watch their rear end

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ukraine committing the unfriendly act of resisting invasion. Outrageous.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Macron is such a drama bitch drat

https://twitter.com/ElHuffPost/status/1500741812310482949

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Probably angry cause Zelenskyi is getting all attention and sexy grandmas.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I can hear the photographer now. "C'mon work it Macron, look even sadder. Think about your grandma getting served cold onion soup on her birthday, or a corked Chateau Margeaux, you got this."

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

South Korea and Japan will probably be a really complex one: pretty much the only international car maker that has no desire to stop manufacturing in Russia is Hyundai/Kia and Toyota. Of course other car makers stopped manufacturing due to logistical and financial issues (good luck paying for parts from EU, or even receiving shipments).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Captain Kosmos posted:

Probably angry cause Zelenskyi is getting all attention and sexy grandmas.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FishMcCool posted:

Did the Twitter person just not bother to list it, or did Germany manage to avoid that list.
Also lol that the Ukraine is randomly wedged in there between Taiwan and Montenegro. I really wonder if Putin considers those contries/regions to be on the same level of significance.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 7, 2022

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Xerxes17 posted:

It is being sent, just in ~80kg 180cm bags.

:drat:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Looks like his pet hamster died. I feel the pain, I felt the same ♥️♥️♥️

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did the Twitter person just not bother to list it, or did Germany manage to avoid that list.
Also lol that the Ukraine is randomly listed between Taiwan and Montenegro there. I wonder what they did to provoke that.

"EU countries"

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Also lol that the Ukraine is randomly listed between Taiwan and Montenegro there. I wonder what they did to provoke that.

Part of EU countries I guess.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

I am guessing they grouped Germany in the EU countries
edit: too slow

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

alex314 posted:

"EU countries"

That character limit comes at you hard

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Also lol that the Ukraine is randomly wedged in there between Taiwan and Montenegro. I really wonder if Putin considers those contries/regions to be on the same level of significance.

"EU Countries" hth

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

FishMcCool posted:

Quote from country nuked: what are you gonna do, nuke us?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Russia has finally revealed their plan to come back from these sanctions: tweeting the name of each country next to a frowny face emoji.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Chalks posted:

Russia has finally revealed their plan to come back from these sanctions: tweeting the name of each country next to a frowny face emoji.

Okay this is ridiculous: give them some more loving respect than that

...it's the country's name next to a poop emoji

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Re: the alleged attack on the airfield. A band of merry marines with rifles and hand grenades could wreck absolute havoc if they got through security. Just look at the attack on Camp Bastion in 2012. 15 taliban, 6 harriers and a C-130 destroyed.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Trump posted:

Re: the alleged attack on the airfield. A band of merry marines with rifles and hand grenades could wreck absolute havoc if they got through security. Just look at the attack on Camp Bastion in 2012. 15 taliban, 6 harriers and a C-130 destroyed.

If that Kherson airfield attack is remotely true why the gently caress would you move that much aircraft into a hostile warzone and not protect it properly? :psyduck:

The modern Russian Army's tactics are just too Special Operations for me man

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

...it's the country's name next to a poop emoji

No clancychat!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

If that Kherson airfield attack is remotely true why the gently caress would you move that much aircraft into a hostile warzone and not protect it properly? :psyduck:

The plan said do it, so they did it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The new putty skins are wild, Lord Zedd steppin’ up his game

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Adam Tooze ha been writing good analyses of the economic side. The tl;dr seems to be that since Iran managed to adapt to sanctions, Russia might too. Gas & oil sanctions would be important. The EU is working to prepare for them, which won't be easy for some countries.

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartbook-93-russias-720m-per-day

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Third round of peace talks, I guess they are taking the dead guy along

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1500792966725742594

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

TulliusCicero posted:

This is Russia we’re talking about here. The same superpower sending troops into combat in civilian cars.

Speaking of which, how well would a Hilux go in the mud? Are technicals there answer to Russia’s woes? It would certainly bookend their descent into a third world country.