Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Really like how Elida is basically "now make sure you don't break her, I want to savor her fall, bwahahaha!" While her keeper is like "well, actually..." Then stops when she realizes she's not listening.

Meanwhile,

The novices are out preparing her meals for her and calling her mother, accepted are going to her for advice and comfort, and even Aes Sedai are starting to ignore her refusal to give them the courtesies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Really like how Elida is basically "now make sure you don't break her, I want to savor her fall, bwahahaha!" While her keeper is like "well, actually..." Then stops when she realizes she's not listening.

Meanwhile,

The novices are out preparing her meals for her and calling her mother, accepted are going to her for advice and comfort, and even Aes Sedai are starting to ignore her refusal to give them the courtesies.

Elaida really is the Trump school of leadership.

Doesn't even register to her that she might be stupid and clueless. She is the Protagagonist of Reality and you are lucky to be in her presence. Why check to see how your plan is going? It's going fine, it's your plan, a perfect one from the beginning!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I forgot Juilin was banging Amathera :dong:

No monarch left behind :toot:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Re: Samitsu, Sumeko and Nynaeve

Samitsu is probably the best healer in the world at the Aes Sedai standard version of healing, aka Age of Legends battlefield healing. She's really good at it and has spent basically forever mastering it. She's probably better than Nynaeve at specifically that version of healing.

The healing that Sumeko and Nynaeve do is fundamentally different to regular Aes Sedai healing and they're both unbelievably talented at it. It's also a much more effective version of healing as well. Basically the the only person they'd be arguably second to in that would be Semirhage.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 5, 2022

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IIRC, Flinn is right up there with Samitsu/Nynaeve/Sumeko, too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Khizan posted:

IIRC, Flinn is right up there with Samitsu/Nynaeve/Sumeko, too.

Definitely. Not an Aes Sedai though, technically.

They both independently figured out how to heal stilling, so that alone should have them be considered the finest healers of the Age.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just knew there was more than one and also the talent vs. Talent distinction

And lmao at the ones who thought they were the bestest because Cadsuane said so

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hexel posted:

I just knew there was more than one and also the talent vs. Talent distinction

And lmao at the ones who thought they were the bestest because Cadsuane said so

She even thinks to herself that she knows she's just stoking Samitsu's ego to get her to take ahold of herself, if I recall a later chapter right.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

A thought I had on Galina, since she showed up again in KoD: it seems clear that RJ is using her to test the reader's limits on what constitutes acceptable revenge. We're meant to hate her, she put our boy in a box and beat him, and is Black Ajah to boot. We probably all felt satisfaction when she first got snapped up by the Shaido. But the increasingly brutal treatment Therava inflicts on her feels like RJ using the reader as a vessel to ask: at what point does the punishment outweigh the crime, however heinous?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm listening through Fires of Heaven again and noticed that after Nynaeve and Elayne escape Ronde Macura they use forkroot to dose her and her apprentice, and then later on forkroot only affects channelers.

What the heck, RJ. Fix this glaring oversight!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pleads posted:

I'm listening through Fires of Heaven again and noticed that after Nynaeve and Elayne escape Ronde Macura they use forkroot to dose her and her apprentice, and then later on forkroot only affects channelers.

When does forkroot not make a non-channeler sleepy?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

When does forkroot not make a non-channeler sleepy?

I think it does make non-channelers sleepy, just much less effectively and only at much higher doses even then.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Pulling up old stuff to respond to again (I'm pretty much caught up with this thread-history now...)

th3t00t posted:

Bunch of disjointed thoughts below. Apologies
RE: Nerdy Nightly

I like how they were upset that random MacGuffins were added in episode 8 with no prior introduction. The Horn of V and the Sa-angreal.

And they hated the "she has a tell" and the "defense" of Fal Dara, just like this thread hated them.

In their review of the book they liked that the horn had been mentioned like 100 times by the time they even made it to Shadar Logoth.

This right here was a major gripe of mine in the finale....they find the MacGuffin and it's like "oh they found a MacGuffin and the bad guy took it I guess...what else is going on?" In comparison, I distinctly remember reading the analogous scene in the books when I read it for the first time in 1991 when I was 15 because it was that memorable. "They found the Horn of VALERE?! :vince:"

And it felt like that because you said they mentioned the horn...what, "like 100 times by the time they even made it to Shadar Logoth?

So I did some text searches in The Eye of the World. In 800 pages, the word "Valere" appears 5 times (one of which when they actually found it), and the phrase "Great Hunt" appears 6 times, 4 of which are in chapter 26, when we learn that Illian has called up a new Great Hunt and we get the most background on what it is. I really think the show could have given finding the Horn a similar emotional weight by mentioning 2-3 times during the season. I could even suggest a few brief seconds of dialog in existing scenes:

When the Grinwell girl offers Mat her Birgitte doll: "I can't take your doll. Birgitte will need you to help her find the Horn of Valere and save the world."

When Maigan is info-dumping world events on Moiraine in the bathroom: "...And in Illian, they've called for a Great Hunt for the Horn, so all the fools and would-be heroes in the world are caught up in the dream of finding the Horn of Valere and blowing it to summon the Heroes of the Ages to fight the Last Battle. You can imagine the chaos."

You don't need much to really build this kind of detail into the world, and the Horn is one example of the show kind of dropping the ball on that.

The Heron-marked sword is another. The only time anybody even mentions it is in the last episode when Ishamael asks him where he got one of those, without explaining what it signifies. Before that, I'm not sure how anybody's supposed to guess that it even is significant beyond just "Tam's sword has this mark on it! Look, see he had the same sword at the Blood Snow". How much set-up for season 2 stuff could they have built into a scene where Rand and Mat run into some whitecloaks from Geofram Bornhad's crew on the road to Tar Valon (now separated from Valda), and one of them notices and goes "Heron-mark, be careful men" and they just back off after taking a look at it. Especially if they'd included a short bit of explanation with Lan in episode 2 of what it takes to earn a heron-mark sword, and how much training Rand's going to have to do to be worthy of it.

quote:

They were upset the book prologue was cut. They liked that it started to explain what's at stake, as the show hasn't really attempted to explain the stakes at all and is a major weakness.

And they made a point that turning the show into the mystery of "who is the dragon?" kind of comes at the expense of developing what makes the non-dragon characters special. And they were mad the show just withheld the information to figure out Rand was the Dragon all along.

I think the biggest problem with the adaptation, and also with comparisons to Game of Thrones, comes down to the structure of the story. Wheel of Time as a whole seems like it would inspire a great TV series adaptation in the same way A Song of Ice and Fire did (at least for the early seasons), because it's got a huge ensemble cast of memorable characters inhabiting a well-developed and richly detailed imaginary world. However, unlike Game of Thrones (the book) Eye of the World is very conspicuously NOT that. It's got the richly imagined world, but the story is ALL about Rand, and the rest of the cast is just there to support him and his adventure tale. That's kind of incompatible with how they need to cast (and pay for the cast) for a show like this if they're serious about getting past the first season. They really did need to tear the story apart and put it back together to make room for the rest of the ensemble to shine as much as Rand for this season, and I understand why they made choices they did in this context, but I think they went too far in basically cutting out ALL of Rand's story and character development to make room for the remaining cast. If they were able to make the "Who is the Dragon" mystery pay off better it might have worked, but they really didn't. When they finally made the reveal it wasn't "oh, this is how all the clues from the rest of the season piece together" it was "yeah, we just didn't show you this massively character-founding scene in episode 1 that was supposed to inform basically everything Rand did or thought about for the whole season until now." And they don't just drop that scene, they almost completely erased the constant struggle with his identity and wondering who his father is. The only scene of his that even touches on it is when Loial calls Rand an Aielman in episode 5, and he just seems kind of bemused brushes the comment aside as if it has no significance instead of being distraught at another reminder that he might not actually know who he is or where he really comes from. There's the other bit where Thom tells Mat some things about Aiel and how red hair is kind of their thing, but Rand's not in that scene, so even if we're supposed to associate him with that we don't get to see him react to it.

That said, I think episode 5 was the best of the lot. I LOVED the world-building and future-plotting of Lan's and Moiraine's stories through the lens of what Stepin was going through. Episode 4 was the second-best. Logain was amazing. Nynaeve was stellar throughout the whole show, as were Moiraine and Lan. Sad about Mat because he was fantastic too. Perrin was good, but I don't think his story was adapted as well as it could have been. In the books he's kind of a nothing-burger before the party splits and he meets the wolves and kills the whitecloaks, and really starts wrestling with controlling his violent side, so I agree with moving that violent outburst for him to struggle with to earlier to give him interest for the first few episodes, but I agree with what Sanderson said about making it wife to fridge was going too far, and they should have had him accidentally kill Master Luhan or something similar. I didn't care for the relationship angst with Egwene either, although I can see how that can be read in the book (I had a slightly different take on their dynamic, but I can definitely see why anyone might think he was holding a candle for her, in the Tinker camp chapters).

At any rate, this makes me a little concerned for season 2 because The Great Hunt is ALSO all about Rand, albeit with a substantial B-plot of "what's going on with Rand's girlfriends". It's not really until book 3 that the Ensemble really starts breathing on its own without him (and he's almost completely absent from that book). Combining books 2 and 3 will possibly help.

My big prediction for Season 2 by the way, is that we're going to need to coin the term Caem-rhien, because I can think of a lot of production and budget and audience-comprehension reasons to combine the major story beats from both of those cities into one or the other and basically no back-breaking story reasons from the books not to. I don't know which city they'll pick, but Rand will get there in Season 2 to meet Elayne, reunite with Thom, and get indoctrinated in the Great Game before heading out west to Falme.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 6, 2022

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

goethe.cx posted:

A thought I had on Galina, since she showed up again in KoD: it seems clear that RJ is using her to test the reader's limits on what constitutes acceptable revenge. We're meant to hate her, she put our boy in a box and beat him, and is Black Ajah to boot. We probably all felt satisfaction when she first got snapped up by the Shaido. But the increasingly brutal treatment Therava inflicts on her feels like RJ using the reader as a vessel to ask: at what point does the punishment outweigh the crime, however heinous?

I don't know, we're privy to Galina's internal monologue and she never shows any remorse for her sins or desire to be anything other than a hateful, despicable tyrant. Every time we check in on her she's not merely begging for relief from her punishment, but conniving to put herself back in the position of power so that she can be the one inflicting pain and suffering on others. Even when Faile and co show kindness and mercy toward her by putting their necks on the line to steal Therava's oath rod and help her escape her situation, instead of repaying the kindness, she instantly betrays them. IMO she rejected every opportunity for redemption she was ever presented with and therefore deserved exactly what she got, and the only thing I wished for when her arc ended, was that she had gotten it sooner.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 6, 2022

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Pleads posted:

Entirely reasonable that both women were able to learn to channel, and thus susceptible to the forkroot.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

silvergoose posted:

On the other hand, in her mind she probably wasn't betraying the dark one in that moment? Just removing an oath, she could still remain loyal.

Then of course it was off, and she could do whatever she wanted.

If the sisters are questioning her and she refuses to remove the oaths, she could very well believe it's the hour of her death.

goethe.cx posted:

The difference between the real world and this world is that Galina was pledged to actual, real, Satan

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 6, 2022

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

IMO, she's not on my mood board for Cadsuane, but she'd be a perfect Renaille or Harine.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

St0rmD posted:

IMO, she's not on my mood board for Cadsuane, but she'd be a perfect Renaille or Harine.

In the reread I did last year she was my mental casting for Sorilea, I think she would do well in that role

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

CainsDescendant posted:

In the reread I did last year she was my mental casting for Sorilea, I think she would do well in that role

That's one I imagined her in when that tweet popped up last year. I always imagined Sorilea with that gravely voice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly she would have to be a big name character, not interchangeable Aes Sedai #312. Plus the ageless face thing.

So my money would be on a Wise One

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

gently caress Galina

No one puts Rand in a box :colbert:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Honestly she would have to be a big name character, not interchangeable Aes Sedai #312. Plus the ageless face thing.

For 70 years old she seems active as gently caress and kinda in demand with another series in post production right now, currently filming a movie, and another thing in pre-production.

Here's to hoping she materializes in WoT season 3 or 4.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

St0rmD posted:

Pulling up old stuff to respond to again (I'm pretty much caught up with this thread-history now...)

This right here was a major gripe of mine in the finale....they find the MacGuffin and it's like "oh they found a MacGuffin and the bad guy took it I guess...what else is going on?" In comparison, I distinctly remember reading the analogous scene in the books when I read it for the first time in 1991 when I was 15 because it was that memorable. "They found the Horn of VALERE?! :vince:"

And it felt like that because you said they mentioned the horn...what, "like 100 times by the time they even made it to Shadar Logoth?

So I did some text searches in The Eye of the World. In 800 pages, the word "Valere" appears 5 times (one of which when they actually found it), and the phrase "Great Hunt" appears 6 times, 4 of which are in chapter 26, when we learn that Illian has called up a new Great Hunt and we get the most background on what it is. I really think the show could have given finding the Horn a similar emotional weight by mentioning 2-3 times during the season. I could even suggest a few brief seconds of dialog in existing scenes:

When the Grinwell girl offers Mat her Birgitte doll: "I can't take your doll. Birgitte will need you to help her find the Horn of Valere and save the world."

When Maigan is info-dumping world events on Moiraine in the bathroom: "...And in Illian, they've called for a Great Hunt for the Horn, so all the fools and would-be heroes in the world are caught up in the dream of finding the Horn of Valere and blowing it to summon the Heroes of the Ages to fight the Last Battle. You can imagine the chaos."

You don't need much to really build this kind of detail into the world, and the Horn is one example of the show kind of dropping the ball on that.

The Heron-marked sword is another. The only time anybody even mentions it is in the last episode when Ishamael asks him where he got one of those, without explaining what it signifies. Before that, I'm not sure how anybody's supposed to guess that it even is significant beyond just "Tam's sword has this mark on it! Look, see he had the same sword at the Blood Snow". How much set-up for season 2 stuff could they have built into a scene where Rand and Mat run into some whitecloaks from Geofram Bornhad's crew on the road to Tar Valon (now separated from Valda), and one of them notices and goes "Heron-mark, be careful men" and they just back off after taking a look at it. Especially if they'd included a short bit of explanation with Lan in episode 2 of what it takes to earn a heron-mark sword, and how much training Rand's going to have to do to be worthy of it.

I think the biggest problem with the adaptation, and also with comparisons to Game of Thrones, comes down to the structure of the story. Wheel of Time as a whole seems like it would inspire a great TV series adaptation in the same way A Song of Ice and Fire did (at least for the early seasons), because it's got a huge ensemble cast of memorable characters inhabiting a well-developed and richly detailed imaginary world. However, unlike Game of Thrones (the book) Eye of the World is very conspicuously NOT that. It's got the richly imagined world, but the story is ALL about Rand, and the rest of the cast is just there to support him and his adventure tale. That's kind of incompatible with how they need to cast (and pay for the cast) for a show like this if they're serious about getting past the first season. They really did need to tear the story apart and put it back together to make room for the rest of the ensemble to shine as much as Rand for this season, and I understand why they made choices they did in this context, but I think they went too far in basically cutting out ALL of Rand's story and character development to make room for the remaining cast. If they were able to make the "Who is the Dragon" mystery pay off better it might have worked, but they really didn't. When they finally made the reveal it wasn't "oh, this is how all the clues from the rest of the season piece together" it was "yeah, we just didn't show you this massively character-founding scene in episode 1 that was supposed to inform basically everything Rand did or thought about for the whole season until now." And they don't just drop that scene, they almost completely erased the constant struggle with his identity and wondering who his father is. The only scene of his that even touches on it is when Loial calls Rand an Aielman in episode 5, and he just seems kind of bemused brushes the comment aside as if it has no significance instead of being distraught at another reminder that he might not actually know who he is or where he really comes from. There's the other bit where Thom tells Mat some things about Aiel and how red hair is kind of their thing, but Rand's not in that scene, so even if we're supposed to associate him with that we don't get to see him react to it.

That said, I think episode 5 was the best of the lot. I LOVED the world-building and future-plotting of Lan's and Moiraine's stories through the lens of what Stepin was going through. Episode 4 was the second-best. Logain was amazing. Nynaeve was stellar throughout the whole show, as were Moiraine and Lan. Sad about Mat because he was fantastic too. Perrin was good, but I don't think his story was adapted as well as it could have been. In the books he's kind of a nothing-burger before the party splits and he meets the wolves and kills the whitecloaks, and really starts wrestling with controlling his violent side, so I agree with moving that violent outburst for him to struggle with to earlier to give him interest for the first few episodes, but I agree with what Sanderson said about making it wife to fridge was going too far, and they should have had him accidentally kill Master Luhan or something similar. I didn't care for the relationship angst with Egwene either, although I can see how that can be read in the book (I had a slightly different take on their dynamic, but I can definitely see why anyone might think he was holding a candle for her, in the Tinker camp chapters).

At any rate, this makes me a little concerned for season 2 because The Great Hunt is ALSO all about Rand, albeit with a substantial B-plot of "what's going on with Rand's girlfriends". It's not really until book 3 that the Ensemble really starts breathing on its own without him (and he's almost completely absent from that book). Combining books 2 and 3 will possibly help.

My big prediction for Season 2 by the way, is that we're going to need to coin the term Caem-rhien, because I can think of a lot of production and budget and audience-comprehension reasons to combine the major story beats from both of those cities into one or the other and basically no back-breaking story reasons from the books not to. I don't know which city they'll pick, but Rand will get there in Season 2 to meet Elayne, reunite with Thom, and get indoctrinated in the Great Game before heading out west to Falme.

I agree that they needed to make it more of an ensemble story than the Book version of Eye... but I feel they did a terrible job of that. They didn't just cut from Rand, they cut from the entire EF5 to add more to Moiraine and Lan and supporting characters.

The Stepin stuff was fine and would have been better received in like a 10- 13 episode season. But at 8 episodes it felt gratuitous.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ultimately, Rafe was right....they needed more than eight episodes. The compromises they had to make to squeeze it all down to eight really hurt them. Here's hoping that Amazon will loving listen to the man for future seasons and give the show the time to breathe it needs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Data Graham posted:

It would be neat to see her playing a Forsaken though.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

calandryll posted:

That's one I imagined her in when that tweet popped up last year. I always imagined Sorilea with that gravely voice.

I totally have pictured Sorilea with a gravely voice too. That tweet between Rafe and s.a. seems a little more tongue in cheek to me that they already have had talks going. Either way ill be happy with her in the series.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So here I am mired in a Perrin pov in CoT constantly fretting about Faile in his internal dialogue and I had a realization. Perrin is a douche.

He’s spoken about as reliable by all. He is considered consistent and caring and dutiful.

Aram demonstrates that everything we are lead to believe about Perrin is a lie. He does not take responsibility or do his duty. He shrugs Aram off and treats him badly leading to his corruption and death. He doesn't want to lead or care and constantly affirms this internally. He selfishly pursues his own wants and needs. He sets aside Rand’s mission the second Faile got kidnapped and tolerates Masema’s marauding because he needs his men against the Shaido.

Contrast this to Mat. The unreliable, gambling drunkard. The man who everyone knows shirks responsibility at all times and definitely would never do his duty.

He finds Olver by chance on the side of the road and adopts him. Looks after him, teaches him. He gives Olver everything a child should have albeit in the Mat way.

Olver and Aram serve as a fantastic window into who both Perrin and Mat truly are.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 7, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hexel posted:

So here I am mired in a Perrin pov in CoT constantly fretting about Faile in his internal dialogue and I had a realization. Perrin is a douche.

He’s spoken about as reliable by all. He is considered consistent and caring and dutiful.

Aram demonstrates that everything we are lead to believe about Perrin is a lie. He does not take responsibility or do his duty. He shrugs Aram off and treats him badly leading to his corruption and death. He doesn't want to lead or care and constantly affirms this internally. He selfishly pursues his own wants and needs. He sets aside Rand’s mission the second Faile got kidnapped and tolerates Masema’s marauding because he needs his men against the Shaido.

Contrast this to Mat. The unreliable, gambling drunkard. The man who everyone knows shirks responsibility at all times and definitely would never do his duty.

He finds Olver by chance on the side of the road and adopts him. Looks after him, teaches him. He gives Olver everything a child should have albeit in the Mat way.

Olver and Aram serve as a fantastic window into who both Perrin and Mat truly are.

I don't think Aram and Olver are really a fair comparison because Olver is a child and Aram is the same age as Perrin. Perrin definitely fails Aram in some ways, but uh he also doesn't have nearly the same responsibilities towards him.

Notably this stuff is also really tenuously connected to your first paragraph because Mat also totally shirks a ton of his responsibilities, raises an extra-legal military organization that he abandons for months (it is a miracle the Band didn't end up like Masema's group) and constantly pursues his own personal goals while thinking how much he hates responsibility. And even with Olver most of his interactions are fobbing him off onto other people and teaching him some questionable things.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
aram is also fuvking insane

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Natty Ninefingers posted:

aram is also fuvking insane

He was alright until he met Masema.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

He was alright until he met Masema.

I mean he was burying himself in violence to cover his anguish at losing everyone he cares about

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean he was burying himself in violence to cover his anguish at losing everyone he cares about

That last part isn't entirely true, Raen and Ila are still alive and they despair over what Aram has chosen to do. Still it's clear that the Trolloc and Whitecloak attacks have radicalized Aram against the Way of the Leaf

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

goethe.cx posted:

That last part isn't entirely true, Raen and Ila are still alive and they despair over what Aram has chosen to do. Still it's clear that the Trolloc and Whitecloak attacks have radicalized Aram against the Way of the Leaf

They disowned him to his face. They might still be alive, but their relationship isn't.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

What happened to Aram is spelled out directly by Elyas. When he picked up the sword, it was a rejection of everything he believed in. He lost his religion, his family, and his entire culture all in one decision. In their place, he got the sword, and Perrin. That wasn't enough to fill the void within him, and that made him extremely vulnerable to Maesema's manipulations.

Perrin knew full well that something was wrong with Aram. He just didn't have the faintest clue how to fix it. Probably because nobody could have fixed it for Aram - the only thing that would have saved him was him to find a real replacement for what he'd lost.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If his family didn't pretend he was dead maybe he wouldn't have went insane idk

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Folks in here acting like Perrin should be a licensed therapist specialized in cult deprogramming.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Devorum posted:

Folks in here acting like Perrin should be a licensed therapist specialized in cult deprogramming.

TA'VEREN!!!!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Perrin rarely has the critical capacity to think through why people are feeling the emotions they are even when his nose tells them the exact emotions that flare up in response to his words. He doesn’t have time for people when his nose is like “idk dude that guy’s crazy as hell”

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is it ever stated why the Seanchan Ogier gardeners don't suffer from the longing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Gnoman posted:

What happened to Aram is spelled out directly by Elyas. When he picked up the sword, it was a rejection of everything he believed in. He lost his religion, his family, and his entire culture all in one decision. In their place, he got the sword, and Perrin. That wasn't enough to fill the void within him, and that made him extremely vulnerable to Maesema's manipulations.

Perrin knew full well that something was wrong with Aram. He just didn't have the faintest clue how to fix it. Probably because nobody could have fixed it for Aram - the only thing that would have saved him was him to find a real replacement for what he'd lost.

I always thought that was a lovely thing. I mean they try and recruit people who do violence all the time, but if one of their own "falls off the wagon" even once, there's no way back for him. Why?

At least they seemed to realize it in the end, but he was long dead by then.