Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

which quest is this

the Black Knife quest, which kicks off Ranni’s route. it starts by uncovering the divine corpse underneath Stormveil, which you can only do by jumping the aforementioned railing and following the path down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

repeating this from a few pages ago

ulvir posted:

in dark souls you had to actively go out of your way to not end up with tens of thousands of souls when you were just dicking around, even when taking in consideration that you’d die and lose a few bloodstains. in this game I can easily play for five hours and not have much more than 5000 runes at any one time. will the amount of runes you get pick up after linuria and that place south of lingrave?

and what’s a good early rune farming spot? something comparable to the blighttown swamp or the bonfire run in Anor Londo right after the lift and buttresses

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darke GBF posted:

Finally found an even more expensive summon than the Perfumer. It's a named Cleanrot Knight. Gonna upgrade that poo poo to +10 just for funsies. After beating Malenia and Mohg, and activating all tower runes, I think I'm just about out of poo poo to do that I'm aware of before finally doing the thing up at giant's peak. Still missing a legendary armament, but not sure where it could be. Explored pretty thoroughly I thought, but I only ever found one belfry key, so there were probably at least a few areas I missed. Might dick around with arcane in a ng+ when I get there, with 14 dragon hearts I can surely buy all the good poo poo, and got plenty of neat arcane and faith weapons to play with.

Am I missing anything with Ranni's questline if I got the ring out of the chest in Raya Lucaria, and killed Blaidd? Or can I do the thing at the giant's forge now?

Did you propose to Ranni on a throne of flesh and blood? If so you're done if not get on it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the Black Knife quest, which kicks off Ranni’s route. it starts by uncovering the divine corpse underneath Stormveil, which you can only do by jumping the aforementioned railing and following the path down

Meeting Ranni in her tower is all thats required to start her quest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ulvir posted:

if you’ve met D at the Roundtable Hold he’ll direct you to a place patrolled by hosed-up little men that drop over 1k runes at a go

wait for it
Feb 21, 2021

roomtone posted:

i've only ever found the horse to be more dangerous and less effective than fighting on foot.

even including other mounted enemies.

Really? I found it really good against the tree bosses and dragons as melee. Lets you move out of aoe while keeping dps up.

I am just bad at dodge rolling their aoe's on foot tho.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

roomtone posted:

i've only ever found the horse to be more dangerous and less effective than fighting on foot.

even including other mounted enemies.

it's really good vs. dragons

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Oxxidation posted:

oh lol, i've done that quest but started it much later in a different way. had no idea about that. this game is so big.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So, curiously, I'm doing her quest line right now and The way she, and the NPCs are speaking it sounds like she plans to become Empyrian, and that her quest line achieves that goal. Rather than it being her natural state of being. Combined with her calling Rennala mother, the game its self seems to think she isn't one of Marika's kids, unless something that pops up later contradicts everything else the game has been saying.

Her line of dialog is literally "I was once an empyrean"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Oxxidation posted:

You can't actually get locked out of Ranni's quest fortunately, you can also start it much later by going straight to her house.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ulvir posted:

Idgi. If this is an issue, you are in the wrong places. Sure, I need about 20k for a level now, but I cant expect when I'm back tracking to clear out a missed area I should have done sooner for it to give me the same amount of reward as endgame areas. I'm mainly just glad to get any missed items. There are places to go for farming if thats what you need. 1000 souls/hr is ridiculous also, wherever you are

I dont think I've done a single quest so far aside from the southern castle/daughter thing. About 50 hours in. But then I never do quests in Souls games, mainly because they are too obscure.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Foul Fowl posted:

it's really good vs. dragons

wait for it posted:

Really? I found it really good against the tree bosses and dragons as melee. Lets you move out of aoe while keeping dps up.

I am just bad at dodge rolling their aoe's on foot tho.

dragons are the thing it is best at yeah because they have giant breath attacks and fly 100 feet away every third move

but i've still found running in and getting under them to be safer (most of their attacks completely miss) and it allows me to get my special moves and status effects applied. your DPS is going to be higher even if you have to scramble to catch up with it.

i haven't found an AOE in the game you can't roll out of if you catch the wind-up. some are blockable.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

roomtone posted:

dragons are the thing it is best at yeah because they have giant breath attacks and fly 100 feet away every third move

but i've still found running in and getting under them to be safer (most of their attacks completely miss) and it allows me to get my special moves and status effects applied. your DPS is going to be higher even if you have to scramble to catch up with it.

i haven't found an AOE in the game you can't roll out of if you catch the wind-up. some are blockable.

You can jump a lot of AOE's

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ah that's true

i just never jump during combat at all. too much souls training so the thought doesn't enter my brain.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

ulvir posted:

This game is long. I did zero farming and am level 135 having finished most (but not all) of the content in the game. So that's a lot of levels, but it's also on average only one level every 35 minutes of my actual playtime.

There's also a physick option that acts like a sacrificial twig and I abused that a LOT so I ended up being more efficient with runes than I otherwise would be.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

I enjoy how he is the only character in a fromsoft game that speaks Spanish. The one bilingual demigod.

There's a lot of Latin in the game (that's what he's speaking) and also some faux-German words like Haligtree and Erdtree. It's a first for their games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

As others have said, this isn't required for Ranni's quest. It is, however, required for Fia's quest, I'm pretty sure.

Nuebot posted:

So, curiously, I'm doing her quest line right now and The way she, and the NPCs are speaking it sounds like she plans to become Empyrian, and that her quest line achieves that goal. Rather than it being her natural state of being. Combined with her calling Rennala mother, the game its self seems to think she isn't one of Marika's kids, unless something that pops up later contradicts everything else the game has been saying.

She was already an Empyrean but rejected the control of the Two Fingers and the Greater Will. Her quest line is that she is trying to claim her Empyrean right to ascend to godhood and succeed Marika while also telling the Two Fingers to gently caress off.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 7, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ulvir posted:

this is in caelid, and might be a spoiler on a certain sight to see but:

there is a collosal dragon surrounded in front by baby dragons. the baby dragons are active enemies but the colossal dragon can't move so if you go around to it's tail and have bleed/frost applied to a weapon, you can chop down it's HP and get yourself 80,000 souls with no risk. the thing is so big the baby dragons won't be close enough to aggro.

you could do this within minutes of starting the game just by riding over there and grabbing a nearby grace point to it for safety.

it's a one time only thing though

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I have not been able to keep up with the thread too well so my apologies if this has been discussed already, but is anyone ready to discuss the lore/story of the game? I managed to find a very good write-up that is close to my interpretations of what happened and is happening: https://old.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/t6tcxr/spoilers_a_thorough_overview_of_the_lore_and/. Spoilers obviously for those who click that link. I'd love to be able to talk more about it but am not sure if people are ready yet or if the spoiler nature is too soon.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I've been fighting the final bosses for about 4 hours straight now

I wish I could summon help

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Took about a dozen tries for FG on horseback with poison melee and octopus boy. 3-4 chops of his legs then get out so can regain stamina to chase his roll. You can get beneath his legs again before he hits you with a sweep attack. When he crouches it's a trigger to get out. Phase 2 watch a bit of the cutscene to regain stamina to rush him and get a few attacks before the ground starts to go red. Then it's more of the same, attack a few times, run past, wait for the roll and then run right at him again. The thing that got me a few times was at 5% health or so he does a near 360 flame spurt that will kill you

I appreciate From improved their dragon fight design with torrent. I haven't fought midir since he made me quit the ringed city play through but I think elden ring dragon fights are the same except you have torrent to close the gap. I can't remember how many time I just spent running back and forth midir's arena just to miss an attack, get hit and have midir run to the other side of the map.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So It Goes posted:

I have not been able to keep up with the thread too well so my apologies if this has been discussed already, but is anyone ready to discuss the lore/story of the game? I managed to find a very good write-up that is close to my interpretations of what happened and is happening: https://old.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/t6tcxr/spoilers_a_thorough_overview_of_the_lore_and/. Spoilers obviously for those who click that link. I'd love to be able to talk more about it but am not sure if people are ready yet or if the spoiler nature is too soon.

Just had some rousing conversations on it.

All I know is Elder Gods go home, you need not apply

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Thanks for the FG tips so far.

Here is my list of things to do to prepare:

Upgrade my weapon to +9
Get the Radagon talisman for more stats
Get vigor to 40
Possibly respec to make better use of my weapon
Get good

He will taste my ice cold hanzo steel

Also, what level are you guys planning on getting to? I am considering 120 because that is like where it was in ds3 for the upper end. 120 feels like it would be enough to get me where I need to be, but I have heard people saying they plan on going to 150.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I mentioned this closer to launch, but is anyone here playing on PC in 16:10? In 1920x1200 mode the game tosses letterboxing on the top and bottom of the screen. All previous From games run in true 16:10 without any problems and no one else has talked about this issue so I feel like I'm going crazy.

Using the latest drivers, and this happens whether I run in fullscreen, windowed borderless, etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So It Goes posted:

One note that I find kind of amusing in the overall lore:

So there's an Outer God associated with blood who is described as "Formless," eh? Any relation to the Formless Oedon, by chance? (I mean I don't actually think this game is connected to Bloodborne's universe, but still, From Software clearly have patterns they like to repeat.)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Slowly working my way to one-hand the Sword of Swords (Str 41). Is there an easily accessible bigass hammer in the same strength ballpark to add some variety to my build?

Watchdog's Staff (it's a huge hammer with strike damage 34STR/10DEX req):
URL from the wiki with location and info about it
https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Watchdog's+Staff

Alternatives are the Brick Hammer or Battle Hammer ( both smaller but way lighter).

I'm personally using the Great Mace, good moveset, great damage and size and weights 11.5.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 7, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't get how staves work in this game

Meteorite Staff has S tier Int Scaling and 203 Sorcery Scaling. It only requires 18 Int to use.

At some point much much later in the game I found a Lusat's Glinstone Staff, which now that I've upgraded it to +5 it also has S Int Scaling... But it's only 60 Sorcery Scaling?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Filthy Haiku posted:

oof Took the dark moon greatsword to +8, this thing is not great.

Oh noooo. :(

I was gonna respec into that for NG+

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I don't get how staves work in this game

Meteorite Staff has S tier Int Scaling and 203 Sorcery Scaling. It only requires 18 Int to use.

At some point much much later in the game I found a Lusat's Glinstone Staff, which now that I've upgraded it to +5 it also has S Int Scaling... But it's only 60 Sorcery Scaling?

if you don't have the required stats to use a catalyst, its scaling is permanently locked to 60

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't even know what that means lol

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

No Wave posted:

So having finished the game, I conclude that Crumbling Farum Azula is just too hard. Putting two unbelievably difficult bosses in that area kind of made me lose interest causing me to just mimic tear for the rest of the game. It would have felt a lot better if one of them was Loretta-tier and not complete agony, it's just too much hard stuff back to back with Radagon being as difficult as he is.

My favorite of the late-game bosses was Mohg, though I'm still working through Malenia.

im not finished with it but i ran and stealthed my way through everything leading up to the duo boss, which sucked and made me extremely mad. im still mad about that fight even after beating it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Boss design in general takes a nosedive in the late game. Every one of them has a combination of annoying AOEs, instant projectiles and spells that cover too much ground.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I don't even know what that means lol

lusat's requires 52 int and 10 strength to wield. if you don't meet those requirements, its sorcery scaling will never go above 60

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s an insane amount of boss AOE attacks that can be 100% negated by simply jumping. Like crucible knight double stomp / stun? Just jump. All of Malekith’s floor bullshit? Hop. That’s literally all it takes.

It’s just so alien to be jumping in combat in a From game but folks it’s real and it’s good.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The jump and the horse both being actually good is the biggest surprise package in this game for me so far

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Spermando posted:

There's a lot of Latin in the game (that's what he's speaking) and also some faux-German words like Haligtree and Erdtree. It's a first for their games.

Ah gently caress, the Uno and Tres got me. Duo did throw me off. He's still the only boss I've encountered that speaks a non-english language at least. :shobon:

After fighting him I find myself with an odd urge to yell NIHIL at things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Oh noooo. :(

I was gonna respec into that for NG+

Honestly the Moonlight Greatsword is rarely a truly great weapon in these games. It was pretty strong in DS2 because you could buff it and buffs also increased its natural magic damage, so it could have super high attack power, and in Bloodborne where it's basically a completely different weapon from what it usually is (and absolutely beautiful, too).

That said the Dark Moon Greatsword is still pretty cool. The real power is in the ability to shoot projectiles with your heavy attack without spending FP after you buff the weapon using the weapon art. You can do some pretty good damage with those if you have a high Int, especially if you get in close and hit with the blade, too.

Its real problem, though, is that it competes with weapons like Moonveil and Bastard's Stars. Elden Ring has no shortage of great Int melee weapons so the local MLGS version has more competition in its niche than usual.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

So It Goes posted:

I'm really liking the lore way more than I thought I would, my most played souls game was DS1 and I didn't really care about the story at all but this is really interesting to me. There's apparently still (at least?) one possible ending people are puzzling together that has to do with Nepheli Loux, Kenneth Haight and Gideon Ofnir.
The community coming together, figuring out how the quests progress, piecing together the story from snippets of dialogue and item descriptions, it's real cool imo

junan_paalla fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 7, 2022

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

ulvir posted:

There is a good rune farming spot on the far eastern side of Caelid. There is a chest you can open in limgrave that teleports you to the area. I am not sure where that is, but I think near a river elevator.

The farming spot has some enemies that die fairly easily (little poise and health) but do a ton of damage. You can sneak up and backstab them to do big damage and then spam them down the rest of the way. There is a grace next to a bridge in that area and there are lots of these little guys. You can get 7-8k runes per trip, which takes only a few minutes. Good for leveling around 30 to 50 I would say.

I did a bit of farming so far (not a lot though) and I have gotten to lvl 100. I have also played 90 hours since this poo poo came out, which is like a second job. I need to touch grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
How intentional do we think it is that 'R', 'M', and 'G' names are super common in the lore and those are the initials of GRRM (George RR Martin)?