Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

PhazonLink posted:

I know asking what they mean by "energy independent" is a fools errand because regressives are bad faith actors, whatever , like these are the fucks that invented roilling coal, making their cars LESS efficient.

These are folks convinced gas could cost merely $0.30 a gallon if it weren't for liberals and taxes complicating things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

STAC Goat posted:

The irony is that if Trump was president he wouldn't have spent those two weeks warning about the attacks while half he world called them lies, he wouldn't have condemned Putin and pushed for sanctions, we wouldn't have spent weeks talking about the invasion hypothetically before it happened backing most into a corner that they'd have to condemn it if it happened, there probably wouldn't have been the same global condemnation and crackdown on Putin, and there's a solid chance Putin would have managed to act with just a slap on the wrist and maybe even a quick conflict where Zelensky wasn't a global name, we weren't watching the conflict 24/7 on cable news, and there wasn't near universal support for Ukraine.

And that's what they want. They want the version of events where Putin just did his business and everyone else could just not give a poo poo about what happens to Ukrainians and just call them Nazis without many people pushing back.

Well, I mean, we already know that Trump loves and admires Putin and, in all likelihood, is doing business with him in ways that open him up to blackmail. Donald has already called him brave, a strong leader and expressed admiration for the authoritarian leaded of Russia while Ronald Reagan is screaming about it from hell.

The party of Reagan, who conservatives and their media lackeys think belongs on Mount Rushmore, is openly sucking the cock of Vladimir Putin and think that we need someone like him running the United States. I'd say it's genuinely astonishing - and in a way it is - but I've seen and heard too much from these people to really be surprised or shocked by anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BiggerBoat posted:

I just noticed that Carlson has spun off into his own dedicated thread

The Greenwald thread?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Mark Levin is very loudly beating the drum of "Biden is putting sanctions on his own country by not letting us drill for more oil and shutting down the Keystone pipeline, and refuses to put sanctions on Russian oil which would actually stop this war. Therefore all the deaths in Ukraine are Biden's fault completely, because if he actually put sanctions on Russia they would be completely cut off economically and the war would end immediately."

Also something about NATO preventing Ukraine from getting fighter jets, because "they're worried it would escalate things, but they have no problem with Russia escalating things."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The Greenwald thread?

No, this one

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928126

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Panfilo posted:

These are folks convinced gas could cost merely $0.30 a gallon if it weren't for liberals and taxes complicating things.

Hell, my brother in law is completely bitching about the fact that gas went up and he cannot understand how it could be connected to an improving economy leading to an increase in demand but a supply side issue of not being able to keep up.

But then again, he works in the oil industry so I do not expect him to actually understand how any of it works. Not do I expect him to understand that those higher gas prices equals his boss’ company making more money.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

Levantine posted:

Yep, my girlfriend's mom is nonstop posting "Don't blame me, I voted for Trump" poo poo on her FB wall. That generation seems to have some weird goldfish memory these days.

Boomers grew up with leaded gas, leaded paint, asbestos in everything, and Mercurochrome. I'm sure that toxic stew addled their brains. Not only that, but they're all old enough now that getting Alzheimer's no longer qualifies as "early onset."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Hell, my brother in law is completely bitching about the fact that gas went up and he cannot understand how it could be connected to an improving economy leading to an increase in demand but a supply side issue of not being able to keep up.

But then again, he works in the oil industry so I do not expect him to actually understand how any of it works. Not do I expect him to understand that those higher gas prices equals his boss’ company making more money.
LOL, wouldn't somebody in the petroleum industry be ecstatic that prices are up? Why would he complain? It's more job security for him and more opportunities to be smug about how essential petroleum is.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I'm backlogged to poo poo on this thread, and I'm now going through. I'll throw a bunch of replies I think are helpful here, but feel free to ignore.

FlamingLiberal posted:

At one point Beck’s site was hemorrhaging money and I don’t know if that ever changed

Beck merged The Blaze with Mark Levin's media operation. What seems to have happened is that Levin had real cash due to his contracts on radio and for the TV show on Fox News, and bought his stake.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Oh god, you reminded me of some dumbass who called into a right wing radio show going "You know, I don't understand why the oil companies don't just increase production in defiance of Biden's mandates so that prices drop."

Hmm yes I wonder why oil companies don't want to make less money, truly a mystery. And that's not even getting into the idea that they could produce more but are just choosing not to for some reason, unless they mean "start drilling without government permission" which uh, it's pretty easy to understand why they wouldn't do that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ErIog posted:

I'm backlogged to poo poo on this thread, and I'm now going through. I'll throw a bunch of replies I think are helpful here, but feel free to ignore.

Beck merged The Blaze with Mark Levin's media operation. What seems to have happened is that Levin had real cash due to his contracts on radio and for the TV show on Fox News, and bought his stake.
Ok that makes sense, I hadn’t heard about that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Like others, I've noticed a distinct tonal shift in the whole "Putin is a Great Strong Man" narrative from FOX, and from Tucker in particular, but Trump doesn't seem to have softened that message too much. Now, in a sane world, this alone would be enough to disqualify winning a GOP primary, let alone the presidency, but the MAGA's are dug in hard and have anointed their messiah. You'd think setting your debate opponent up with a "Can you explain to everyone why you support RUSSIAN leader Vladmir Putin waging war, killing innocent people and calling him a genius? What do you suppose Ronald Reagan would think of these comments?" would be a viral video slam dunk but there's gotta be a "fake news/I never said that" thing somehow.

One (fake) photo of John Kerry and Jane Fonda, Dukakis in a tank or McCain screaming on a hot mic is somehow devastating to their reputations but Trump is loving Teflon Don.

How is RWM spinning this or trying to rationalize the mixed messages? I mean, other than "Biden's fault"? We know they have to get in line with King Donald eventually and explain away his dumb bullshit (again and again) but the only people I see agreeing with him are people like Alex Jones, Proud Boys and Qanon yahoos. I know that's a decent chunk of the base but it's not THAT big. Or is it?

Here's an OP ED about how problematic this is for the GOP. We can throw on the pile

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/04/opinions/trumpism-putin-russia-zelizer/index.html

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 6, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
There is a portion of the population who simply reject whatever they don’t like. It’s some kind of coping mechanism, I guess.

So, facts don’t matter. Not even right in front of your eyes stuff.

So, they can be vehemently anti-Putin and pro trump and that this is a contradiction is irrelevant.

If Ukraine eventually collapses under the weight of Russia arms even though it crippled Russia economically, socially and diplomatically for a generation there will still be trumpet’s admiring Putins genius because trump said it was.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Murgos posted:

So, they can be vehemently anti-Putin and pro trump and that this is a contradiction is irrelevant.

Or they just decide that Trump has a point, that's not what he meant, attempt weak rationalization, deflect to Biden, call it fake news, or simply just side with him and say he's right. I know that last one is losing steam and the wind is strongly blowing the other way right now but give it some time to get laundered through RWM filters and let's see if Putin's popularity numbers actually go up between now and, say, the midterms.

I hope I'm wrong but I think I may not be.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trump said that it's sad the invasion is happening, if you try to call him on praising Putin's strength and intelligence, he'll just say yeah Putin is strong and smart that's why he took advantage of a weak president and why America needs a big tough businessman like me back in the White House to Art of the Deal Putin into backing down.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have witnessed more people making GBS threads on NATO by saying that Trump was right so I think that is the focus of this week.

Also, drove to St. Louis yesterday and there were people standing on the bridges above the interstate with flags for a county or two. The convoy passed by this last Tuesday so I have no idea what they were doing.

Also, i have now learned what an all black us flag is supposed to mean and it was as dumb as I expected.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anarchists?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

It means no quarter given or taken. No prisoners, kill 'em all.

Being the dumbasses they are, a lot of people say it just means "no surrender". The opposite of a white flag.

Why yes, those aren't the same thing at all. And no, you can't change their minds with your liberal "reality" and "symbols have actual meanings".

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My wife read an article after I asked her to look it up and it immediately went into fake history involving confederate soldiers painting captured Union flags black to showcase their resistance.

It is apparently being spread by right wing tik tok people. The truck I saw had an all black us flag right beside a regular US flag…and it broke my wife’s brain.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Trump said that it's sad the invasion is happening, if you try to call him on praising Putin's strength and intelligence, he'll just say yeah Putin is strong and smart that's why he took advantage of a weak president and why America needs a big tough businessman like me back in the White House to Art of the Deal Putin into backing down.

Does anyone really think Putin doesn't do this if Trump is the president?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Also, drove to St. Louis yesterday and there were people standing on the bridges above the interstate with flags for a county or two. The convoy passed by this last Tuesday so I have no idea what they were doing.

Also, i have now learned what an all black us flag is supposed to mean and it was as dumb as I expected.

WTF are these guys even loving protesting anymore?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 6, 2022

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BiggerBoat posted:

WTF are these guys even loving protesting anymore?

They have one thousand, four-hundred, and eighty-eight reasons why.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
FREEDOM / owning their mind enemies.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

No one sane but 30% of the voting population has brain worms so...

Honestly, this might lead to Trump losing his primary. Hammering him over calling Putin smart and his first impeachment is going to actually get some people to stand up and listen. That's even assuming he can afford to run without that soft russian money he was possibly leaning on.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The day after Trump praised Putin and called the invasion genius, right wing media was already saying that Trump was clearly being sarcastic and those dumb libs are too stupid to understand his sarcasm, Trump never actually supported Putin at all.

BiggerBoat posted:

As I said before, some right wing radio host (don't know who) said that if Trump had been president and Putin tried this, he would have told Putin "If you harm one hair on a Ukrainian's head, I will flatten Moscow." I have no idea if he actually thinks that or not, but at the very least he wants people to think that he actually thinks that.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
So that's what, the third or fourth national capital our very stable genius Ex-President has threatened to completely annihilate? Moscow will now join the smoking craters of Pyongyang, Tehran, Damascus, ...and I think Amsterdam? (I might be confusing that with some Freeper fantasy though)

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Anubis posted:

No one sane but 30% of the voting population has brain worms so...

Honestly, this might lead to Trump losing his primary. Hammering him over calling Putin smart and his first impeachment is going to actually get some people to stand up and listen. That's even assuming he can afford to run without that soft russian money he was possibly leaning on.

Stop blaming people for having brain worms in the thread literally dedicated to taking propaganda seriously.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Paolomania posted:

Stop blaming people for having brain worms in the thread literally dedicated to taking propaganda seriously.

Sorry, but I always thought the joke was that propaganda was the "brain worms." IE: My father in law used to be a nice enough guy till he started listening to AM radio and caught the brain worms. Am I misunderstanding that long running joke or are you?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Anubis posted:

Sorry, but I always thought the joke was that propaganda was the "brain worms." IE: My father in law used to be a nice enough guy till he started listening to AM radio and caught the brain worms. Am I misunderstanding that long running joke or are you?
It's a framing that denies that these ideas have been intentionally crafted and disseminated by an orchestrated effort - as opposed to spreading by some accidental process of infection.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Like others, I've noticed a distinct tonal shift in the whole "Putin is a Great Strong Man" narrative from FOX, and from Tucker in particular, but Trump doesn't seem to have softened that message too much. Now, in a sane world, this alone would be enough to disqualify winning a GOP primary, let alone the presidency, but the MAGA's are dug in hard and have anointed their messiah. You'd think setting your debate opponent up with a "Can you explain to everyone why you support RUSSIAN leader Vladmir Putin waging war, killing innocent people and calling him a genius? What do you suppose Ronald Reagan would think of these comments?" would be a viral video slam dunk but there's gotta be a "fake news/I never said that" thing somehow.

One (fake) photo of John Kerry and Jane Fonda, Dukakis in a tank or McCain screaming on a hot mic is somehow devastating to their reputations but Trump is loving Teflon Don.

How is RWM spinning this or trying to rationalize the mixed messages? I mean, other than "Biden's fault"? We know they have to get in line with King Donald eventually and explain away his dumb bullshit (again and again) but the only people I see agreeing with him are people like Alex Jones, Proud Boys and Qanon yahoos. I know that's a decent chunk of the base but it's not THAT big. Or is it?

Here's an OP ED about how problematic this is for the GOP. We can throw on the pile

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/04/opinions/trumpism-putin-russia-zelizer/index.html

people were already thinking those things about those people before those incidents :shh:

but that doesn't support the "journalism changes minds" storyline so we act like people saw a photo and said WHOA MIND BLOWN

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It is true that right wing media is a propaganda effort and purposely designed to hook people in and keep them in the bubble (hence why so many of them talk about "the lying media" and how they're ignoring stories, actually as an aside my favorite story about that is when Sean Hannity tweeted at CBS News asking them why they were ignoring a story using the CBS News link about it). I think there's a little more to it though.

What I mean is Fox News does a perfectly good job of demonizing anything to the left of Reagan, but they've been getting attacked as too liberal lately. Again, my mom's husband at Christmas said that Fox News was more liberal than CNN now. With Fox News being the number one cable news network for a while, and how they played one of the largest roles in American politics getting to where they are today, if the propaganda effort was working as intended they should still be the most popular. But we see people switching over to OAN or Newsmax which are even further right wing and unhinged than Fox.

I don't think the people that are saying Fox News is too liberal have "brain worms" but it's pretty clear that people are responding to something other than the propaganda effort. I've heard stories lately about how anger is addictive and I think that's more the issue than the propaganda. And it's probably true, there's definitely people here (myself included) who are purposely exposing themselves to more right wing media than they should to get angry about it. So when Fox News isn't giving right wingers the anger they want, like with the 2020 election, they're quick to drop it to go to another station where they can get angry about things, and now you have My Pillow guy making up poo poo out of nowhere just to get people angry about phony election fraud.

And it's not just political media doing this either! I found a religious radio station the other day when I was out in the middle of nowhere and they were broadcasting a sermon. It was about some Old Testament passage when Israel was at war with another nation, I forget which passage, but the pastor was going on about how God's promises come with conditions. And he said that one of those conditions is that Christians must be willing to go to war for God's righteousness, and that we are in a spiritual war. You can''t just kick up your feet and relax on the EZ chair, you need to be fighting for God. And that's not an unusual message, that's not somehow uniquely weird or terrible, it's something that fundamentalist churches everywhere teach. The idea that Christians are in a constant war against Satan and demons and must always be vigilant and active against the enemy. "The enemy" of course being liberal/leftist policies. Despite the fact that the most famous NT passage about spiritual warfare and "putting on the armor of God" specifically says that the battle is not against people, not against flesh and blood, but against supernatural beings, "person who has different beliefs than me" is framed by churches as the enemy, someone to fight against, someone to battle against. It also of course leads people to seek out anything and everything they can as a battle to fight, because "If you're not fighting against evil you're not being a Christian right."

Anyway I think I lost the point while I was writing about that. I guess if I had to bring it back I'd say that "brainwashed" is probably a better term than "brain worms." I feel like "brain worms" is probably best reserved for poo poo like "lizard people are secretly running the government and Obama built a military base on Mars" than "People believe Trump was being sarcastic when he praised Putin."

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anyway I think I lost the point while I was writing about that. I guess if I had to bring it back I'd say that "brainwashed" is probably a better term than "brain worms." I feel like "brain worms" is probably best reserved for poo poo like "lizard people are secretly running the government and Obama built a military base on Mars" than "People believe Trump was being sarcastic when he praised Putin."

I don't know, it kind of feels like splitting hairs when all those statements are equally false. And really the one about trump being sarcastic seems like the most dangerous to be spreading.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
the true definitive meaning of brain worms

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 7, 2022

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BiggerBoat posted:

The party of Reagan, who conservatives and their media lackeys think belongs on Mount Rushmore, is openly sucking the cock of Vladimir Putin and think that we need someone like him running the United States. I'd say it's genuinely astonishing - and in a way it is - but I've seen and heard too much from these people to really be surprised or shocked by anything.

I think Reagan himself would have absolutely no problem with Putin. Hell, I think he would have had no problem with Stalin so long as he wasn't a communist.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yeah, the entire Reagan era (and prior, tbf) was spent installing mini-Putins everywhere it seemed like the population of a country might have ideas different from the US over, say, resource extraction.

He's exactly the kind of oppressive corrupt mogul the CIA loved.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Why is anyone surprised that right-wing assholes are perfectly fine with post-Soviet Russia? Granted they're real bad at memory but that's part of why they're really easy to direct.

Putin's Russia is just one of the ways capitalism goes. It did take the right wing a while to switch from ":argh: RRRRRRRR COMMUNIST RUSSIA :argh:" to ":hmmyes: capitalist Russia strong man :hmmyes:", true. The complete flip had funny timing, though, didn't it?

lol remember the Obama v Romney debate point re: Russia? Romney probably knew more than he let on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

What I mean is Fox News does a perfectly good job of demonizing anything to the left of Reagan, but they've been getting attacked as too liberal lately. Again, my mom's husband at Christmas said that Fox News was more liberal than CNN now. With Fox News being the number one cable news network for a while, and how they played one of the largest roles in American politics getting to where they are today, if the propaganda effort was working as intended they should still be the most popular. But we see people switching over to OAN or Newsmax which are even further right wing and unhinged than Fox.

It's just due to the constant doubling down and subsequent shift rightward as FOX had become so popular and, therefore, "normal" leading to generally being perceived as more and more central. We have to keep cranking up the outrage-o-meter and conservative harder to save the country from Soros' liberal globalist mob. Shock jocks, "edgy" comedians, hardcore musicians, controversial film makers, etc. all have to keep pushing the edge and raising the bar.

Like how less than half a century ago, bands like KISS and Alice Cooper were seen as demonic and dangerous. Also the Sex Pistols scared the UK so much they were pretty much banned everywhere. Now it's almost cute. Midnight Cowboy and Last Tango in Paris were saddled with "X" ratings. Brokeback Mountain freaked out a bunch of squares.

I guess what I mean is, in regards to what constitutes "shocking", is that the levels for that fluctuate just as much on the right as they do the left. FOX NEws, simply by virtue of being by far the most watched cable news TV show becomes "center" almost by default.

Hope I worded that OK

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

FFT posted:

Why is anyone surprised that right-wing assholes are perfectly fine with post-Soviet Russia? Granted they're real bad at memory but that's part of why they're really easy to direct.

Putin's Russia is just one of the ways capitalism goes. It did take the right wing a while to switch from ":argh: RRRRRRRR COMMUNIST RUSSIA :argh:" to ":hmmyes: capitalist Russia strong man :hmmyes:", true. The complete flip had funny timing, though, didn't it?

lol remember the Obama v Romney debate point re: Russia? Romney probably knew more than he let on.
Putin's an authoritarian and the American right likes authoritarians as long as they aren't brown or Chinese

I'm honestly not sure it's more complicated than that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FFT posted:

Why is anyone surprised that right-wing assholes are perfectly fine with post-Soviet Russia? Granted they're real bad at memory but that's part of why they're really easy to direct

I guess because I just grew up at the dawn of this whole right wing shift where Lord Godfather Reagan was all in on the Soviets as the biggest threat to everything ever and all the popular action movies were centered around beating the evil commies. Rocky was beating up Drago. Red Dawn. You had the Olympics rivalry and the boycotts and all that poo poo. It's just bizarre to me to see this entire movement or culture or whatever you call it, that thinks Reagan belongs on Mt Rushmore, actively and openly rooting for the world's second biggest military and nuclear power in a war of aggression when they used to want to nuke them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Froghammer posted:

Putin's an authoritarian and the American right likes authoritarians as long as they aren't brown or Chinese

I'm honestly not sure it's more complicated than that
Hmm. Bolsonaro and Duterte, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PhazonLink posted:

I know asking what they mean by "energy independent" is a fools errand because regressives are bad faith actors, whatever , like these are the fucks that invented roilling coal, making their cars LESS efficient.

Fracking