Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh and by the way, if you like Josh Homme’s music regardless of his shittiness, check out Kyuss. And if you like that, then there is a whole world of good desert rock out there you should dip into.

Including Desert Sessions (https://www.discogs.com/artist/283792-The-Desert-Sessions) where Homme played exactly that - jam sessions with various musicians. There are 12 volumes and you can hear some QOTSA songs in their demo forms there (Hangin' Tree, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Terminally Bored posted:

Including Desert Sessions (https://www.discogs.com/artist/283792-The-Desert-Sessions) where Homme played exactly that - jam sessions with various musicians. There are 12 volumes and you can hear some QOTSA songs in their demo forms there (Hangin' Tree, for example).

Yeah, the personnel list on the Desert Sessions is phenomenal. Pretty much all the desert rock guys but then PJ fuckin Harvey, Deaner, Twiggy Ramirez, Les Claypool and other great musicians.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Where should I dig in for Modern Jazz?

I've done deep dives into the big lists from the pervious eras. Your Coltranes, Davis, Monk, Mingus, et al. However, my only real experiences with modern artists outside of Kasami Washington is that truly amazing LP from Nala Sinephro that came out last year.

I like the noisy jazz stuff artists like Zorn would do, but not really looking for that sort of action specifically. Anything else, I'm game. What'cha got?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hatelull posted:

I've done deep dives into the big lists from the pervious eras. Your Coltranes, Davis, Monk, Mingus, et al. However, my only real experiences with modern artists outside of Kasami Washington is that truly amazing LP from Nala Sinephro that came out last year.

I like the noisy jazz stuff artists like Zorn would do, but not really looking for that sort of action specifically. Anything else, I'm game. What'cha got?

Pat Metheny

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Pat Metheny

Is Metheny modern at this point? He got started in the 80s. Has he done anything interesting more recently than like 2000?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

He's still recording and touring, and when he tours he often brings a lot of talented young jazz people. Especially recordings of his live shows you'll hear him and a lot of modern talent so I figured he be worth mentioning.

Brian Blade and Christian McBride too.

Op if you can get your hands on Downbeat magazine each month is chock full of great stars in the modern jazz scene (and some unknown gems too!)

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 7, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hatelull posted:

Listen to more Kamasi and then some more.

Also:
Joel Ross
Robert Glasper
Shabaka Hutchings and his associated stuff, Sons of Kemet, Comet is Coming, and Shabaka and the Ancestors
Melissa Aldana
Immanuel Wilkins

Comet is Coming is noisy and wild poo poo.

Oh, poo poo, how could I forget Medeski Martin and Wood? They did an album with Zorn for his Book of Angels project too. Anything with Marc Ribot is weird, albums with John Scofield are pretty standard groove jazz, and they did one with Nels Cline that is pretty far out.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 7, 2022

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
I really dug this Wadada Leo Smith album from 2020. Yes, it's four and a half hours long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj0NVI_AmdE

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

:filez:

Used music/bookstores? My local place has acres of cds. I think there is still a pretty good market for used cds on amazon and eBay too.

My preference is certainly for used rather than pirated (I dislike applying the word to anything that lacks cutlasses and the high seas) and I love local used bookstores as a general Good Thing. I don't know if they're still around but there was an excellent chain of used-CD stores in southern Ontario when I lived there, but that was about 5 years ago.

eBay is something I haven't explored for a while. Thanks for reminding me.

Oh and by the way, if you like Josh Homme’s music regardless of his shittiness, check out Kyuss. And if you like that, then there is a whole world of good desert rock out there you should dip into.

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, Kyuss and the Desert Sessions on my radar, certainly. I need to make some time to explore music like that, just sitting and listening for a few hours.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Josh Homme also produced the third album of the Arctic Monkeys, Humbug.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you want to get into Kyuss, start with Blues for the Red Sun. If you want more after that, go for Welcome to Sky Valley. After that you've either had enough or you're a fan.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Junpei posted:

Josh Homme also produced the third album of the Arctic Monkeys, Humbug.
Interesting. I picked up AM at the beginning of my music project for my nephew and both my wife and I really like it. I've been meaning to get more Arctic Monkeys, this gives me an excuse.

Not strictly a music question, but does anyone have any recommendations for books about the music industry or being a musician, told by musicians? I like reading about how some people move between different bands or different roles, and how a singer might end up being a producer for another band (Josh Homme, I'm sure there are others - didn't Trent Reznor produce several albums for others?) or how a drummer becomes a singer (Dave Grohl, Phil Collins).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Interesting. I picked up AM at the beginning of my music project for my nephew and both my wife and I really like it. I've been meaning to get more Arctic Monkeys, this gives me an excuse.

Not strictly a music question, but does anyone have any recommendations for books about the music industry or being a musician, told by musicians? I like reading about how some people move between different bands or different roles, and how a singer might end up being a producer for another band (Josh Homme, I'm sure there are others - didn't Trent Reznor produce several albums for others?) or how a drummer becomes a singer (Dave Grohl, Phil Collins).

David Byrne's "How Music Works" is a must-read.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

ExecuDork posted:

Homme also provides some backing vocals to AM's tracks "One For The Road" and "Knee Socks".

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Where do I start with Primus and perhaps more broadly the world of Les Claypool? Considering that I already like prog rock so you don't necessarily have to ease me in with more accessible stuff.

I know very little about them, but I saw Les Claypool at a music festival and it was awesome, and I've had a bunch of people tell me I'd like Primus if I like e.g. King Crimson.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don't have time atm but Primus are my favorite band and I will make a more detailed post later. But certainly start with Seas of Cheese and Frizzle Fry.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Don't have time atm but Primus are my favorite band and I will make a more detailed post later. But certainly start with Seas of Cheese and Frizzle Fry.

Agree with this. I like the brown album a lot for mid-period. After that I think you’d have to really love them or want to be completionist.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I recommend watching the Hallucinogenetics movie. It’s on youtube. The first set is classics, second set is Frizzle Fry in its entirety. It’s a great way to sample their early stuff, and it was recorded after hiatus. They really stretch out and jam on some of the classics. American Life is a fuckin ride on that performance.

I’ll leave the Primus effortpost to Henchman. I will say I think the Tim Alexander stuff is best. For non-Primus Claypool, start with Frog Brigade. Purple Onion is my favorite.

Bucket of Bernie Brains is Les, Buckethead, Bernie Worrell, and Brian “Brain” Mantia, one of the two Primus drummers. Weird poo poo. More prog, more jazz, all strange.

Les’s solo stuff is fun too. I forget the cello player’s name, but it’s a wild sound. Paulo Baldi (Cake) is his drummer, and Mike Dillon plays vibes and percussion in a lot of that.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 13, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m not one to take advice on Primus from as I only have a few albums and I’m catching up on them still. But I saw one of the last albums was based on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and said nah to that. Then I just randomly saw The Desaturated Seven and preordered that right away. I couldn’t believe that someone made an album based on my wife’s word book she still had from her childhood.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Desaturating_Seven

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's the studio album rundown for Primus:

Frizzle Fry - Their most accessible album and one where their metal roots shine through. My personal favorite. I believe Les exclusively plays a four string on it. John the Fisherman is from this.

Sailing the Seas of Cheese - The most well-known, with Jerry Was a Race Car Driver and Tommy the Cat. Lighter and more experimental than FF.

Pork Soda - The darkest Primus album. A bit hit or miss but with high highs. You've probably heard My Name Is Mud.

Tales From the Punchbowl - The last of the classic era and most overlooked/underrated. Similar to Seas of Cheese. Wynona's Big Brown Beaver can be found here.

Brown Album - Bryan Mantia replaces Herb on drums. I don't like this one outside of a couple songs.

Antipop - Last before their hiatus. A lot of metal influences and guest appearances. Very 1999 sounding in many ways. Mostly for diehards.

Green Naugahyde - Brings OG, pre-fame drummer Jay Lane into the fold. Jam bandy vibes. Hit or miss.

Primus and the Chocolate Factory - A lame novelty, skip it

The Desaturating Seven - If you're coming from a King Crimson fan perspective this is honestly a great listen. By far their most overtly proggy album even though it's only half an hour. Herb is back on drums.

Related bands:

Les Claypool solo: Experiments with unconventional backing instruments. Of Whales and Woe is good.

Frog Brigade: Their lone studio album is wackier than most Primus. It's pretty good. The live albums are all covers of other Claypool projects, King Crimson and Pink Floyd (including all of Animals).

Sausage: Very similar to Primus, featuring the 80s members. Only one album.

Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains: a supergroup with Buckethead and Bernie Worrell. Only one album if that appeals to you.

Oysterhead: A supergroup with Trey Anastasio and Stewart Copeland. Much more tolerable than Phish.

Duo de Twang: Weird banjo poo poo, mostly covers.

Claypool-Lennon Delirium: Decent psych rock with Sean Lennon.

Blind Illusion: The Sane Asylum is a tech-thrash gem with Les and Ler on it. Nothing like the music the two of them became famous for.

Possessed: Seven Churches is the very first death metal album and has a teenage Larry Lalonde on guitar. A classic.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Another vote for Seas of Cheese as your first Primus album.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I love Claypool-Lennon Delirium, it's some of the catchiest stuff Les has done in a bit

He also wrote a fiction novel that I've heard positive things about

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 13, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

Another vote for Seas of Cheese as your first Primus album.

Seas of Cheese +1

Edit:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Here's the studio album rundown for Primus:

Great stuff

This is really good advice.

Also Suck On This was their first release, a live album, and has most of the hits.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 14, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thank you very much for the Primus primer. Excited to join the ranks of people who can answer yes to Eminem's eternal question, "hey kids, do you like Primus?"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Nick Cave?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Maybe I’m a bad nick cave fan, but I think he’s one of the guys who’s gotten better with age. From Her to Eternity is good if you want to see what the early stuff sounds like (The Bsides + Rarities compilation is really good too), but I would recommend Lyre Of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues, Push the Sky Away, and Ghosteen as the essential ones to listen to. Ghosteen is one of the most powerful and emotional albums I’ve ever heard. It makes me tear up thinking about it.

I also like Nocturama so I’m definitely a bad nick cave fan

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 14, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You could do a lot worse than to start with Murder Ballads. It has "Where the Wild Roses Grow" which is probably his most famous song and the rest of the album is very good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always thought Let Love In was a good place to start, but the other recommendations are also very solid.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

"One More Time With Feeling" is imo, one of the best documentaries ever made, if not the best. Be sure to check it out.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

Murder Ballads. It has "Where the Wild Roses Grow"

While this is true,

ultrafilter posted:

You could do a lot worse than to start with Murder Ballads.

This is... debatable! It's an amazing album, bangers, but it's not always accessible, IMHO. Opener "Song Of Joy", and "O'Malley's Bar" are not... easy.

BigFactory posted:

Maybe I’m a bad nick cave fan, but I think he’s one of the guys who’s gotten better with age.

This is, however, true. I honestly can't speak to his Birthday Party stuff, but as a solo artist, he's grown and matured and is making some amazing music at the moment. In terms of where you should start? "The Boatman's Call" is wonderful and warm. "Ghosteen" is mature and haunting. If you like those two (and why wouldn't you?), go for "Abattoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I love Nick Cave, but he has such a large discography.

Honestly, I would start with the following:

Tender Prey - a very noisy album, but features stuff like Deanna and the Mercy Seat (which Johnny Cash covered). It's a bit of a psycho romp, filled with joy and fun.

Let Love In - aside from the terribly boosted treble, this is a fantastic album. Red Right Hand is a modern classic, Do You Love Me is fantastically dark, Nobody's Baby Now is a fantastic ballad, and Lay Me Low is such a great album closer.

The Boatman's Call - opening lines to this album - "I don't believe in an interventionist God." A lovely set of songs that paint pictures of love and heartbreak. The first side of the album is just wall to wall amazing. He's in full ballad mode here.

Those three will give you a good entry point into his work.

That, or Babe I'm on Fire, which is like 15 minutes of freaking out that never grows tiresome.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to say you can pick up any album and it'll be its own thing unlike any of the others, but still mark a point in a very clear progression.

What have you heard by him so far and what do you generally like?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Tender Prey was my way in. It’s more “fun” than other albums of Cave that get recommended as a first listen.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 15, 2022

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I only tried Let Love In, but want a fan of anything besides Red Right Hand. However, I’m weird or something, because I liked both Grinderman albums.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

If you want to get into Kyuss, start with Blues for the Red Sun. If you want more after that, go for Welcome to Sky Valley. After that you've either had enough or you're a fan.

This ^^^

Blues for the Red Sun is v good

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've had my say about Nick Cave a few times in this thread already, I believe

I have been spinning The Good Son a loving lot lately, forgot how much I loved that record

Henry's Dream and Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus are probably my all-time favorite records of his (and boatman's call is some kind of how-did-this-happen miracle) but there's not really any out-and-out bad ones. even the ones that don't thrill me much or I think are overrated (looking at you, your funeral my trial) still kick the poo poo out of most anything in the record store

I wouldn't start with let love in or anything after it - don't get me wrong, I love even the post-blixa and post-mick records, it just feels like a lot of that stuff makes more sense when you have the earlier records to compare to

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

This ^^^

Blues for the Red Sun is v good

Listening to Vista Chino right now and they are good. John Garcia and Brant Bjork reformed Kyuss but Homme and Scott Reeder got mad, maybe about not being included (?), sued, and they renamed to Vista Chino.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Listening to Sailing the Seas of Cheese right now and it owns, thanks all.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Where do I start with the Old 97s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Where do I start with the Old 97s?

I like their 90's output the best. Check out Wreck Your Life, Too Far to Care and Fight Songs. There's a Rhino compilation that works as a Best of (Hit By a Train) if you want a drive by tour of their output. That dropped in 2006 though, so doesn't include the more recent material.

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before, but where to start with Killing Joke?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 24, 2022