Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Welp. Bioweapons line coming out of the Russian MOD now.
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1500858253248446468?t=eZ5qD6aXLovrfh3FTs_00A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cenodoxus posted:

https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1500832884004831232?s=21

Yes, what fantastic terms we have here:

1. gently caress off
2. gently caress off forever
3. We keep what we already took
4. We take what we want now

Oh yes, this will certainly satisfy Russia and they will definitely not be back in 5-10 years to “liberate” some more “separatists”

It’s literally not

There is some sign of movement here. Russia has moved from "let us kill the government right now" to "let us appoint a puppet as second in command to take over when we kill the rest of you."

But yeah this war doesn't end any time soon. Not when Russia is reducing cities to rubble.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

A minor pedantic point, embassy aren't actually considered foreign soil. They are a gift from the host country that is just considered super protected.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FishMcCool posted:

Oh I agree. But there are a few comments mentioning how little Russia would get out of that deal, and here I disagree. Those terms would likely put a term to most sanctions and leave Russia to only have to deal with their internal unrest suppression (when the dead bodies don't come home from their training exercise).

I hold you up at gunpoint and demand you give me :10bux:. Commentators on the side lament how that if I, the armed robber, were to leave now, I'd be "getting so little". How generous of me!

I've always hated the adage that, "it takes two to fight." It doesn't. It takes one person to fight.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

MikeC posted:

You are misreading what I am posting then. The very act of seeing if they can come out of this with what remains of their country intact and some semblance of autonomy requires agency on the Ukrainians.

Cheerleading that the Ukrainians should fight to the last man on the Wests behalf so Putin is too busy to eye the Baltics which would require NATO to have real stones....that's something else.

jfc Ukraine is fighting for its very survival, not the west.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Let's see if they can sex up a dossier as sexily as the British MoD in 2002

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Let's see if they can sex up a dossier as sexily as the British MoD in 2002

"Just ignore the nerve agents we used to murder people in UK, Ukraine is for real gonna create COVID II"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The UK has generously implemented a special visa scheme for Ukrainians. This would be kind of lovely as it's hard to apply for a visa when you're fleeing a warzone. Fortunately they've also closed the visa application centre in Ukraine so you don't even have to take it seriously as an option

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Ukraine could reasonably pick that as a starting point for negotiations + as a sign of good faith, Russia should withdraw to those borders it's asserting, viz DPR+LPR+Crimea, whilst Ukraine withdraws out of the portions previously occupied in 2014

and then Russia will say no to a reasonable counteroffer, and then the war will go on because it was always an offer in bad faith anyway

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
People laugh at the armored train but if it's a sign Russia has repaired the rail connections then their logistical situation could improve quickly.

Of course I expect Ukraine is aware of that and I wouldn't want to be crew on those trains.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is some sign of movement here. Russia has moved from "let us kill the government right now" to "let us appoint a puppet as second in command to take over when we kill the rest of you."

But yeah this war doesn't end any time soon. Not when Russia is reducing cities to rubble.

Seeing as they're shooting Calibre missles at Ukraine *right now during negotiations* that seems like a fair assumption. Video is just of the missle in flight, not hitting a target
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1500856338221576197?t=06S4qbnqwJVHqn9YLMe2QQ&s=19

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cenodoxus posted:

1. gently caress off

Oh yes, this will certainly satisfy Russia and they will definitely not be back in 5-10 years to “liberate” some more “separatists”

It’s literally not

what is "Russian-controlled areas of Donetsk and Luhansk" today? my recollection is that pre-war it was a thin strip, but they claimed vast parts actually controlled by ukraine. moving back to thin strips instead of the full claimed territory is at least a change, though not much of one - but not, of course, if the russian invasion now controls substantial additional territory.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

distortion park posted:

The UK has generously implemented a special visa scheme for Ukrainians. This would be kind of lovely as it's hard to apply for a visa when you're fleeing a warzone. Fortunately they've also closed the visa application centre in Ukraine so you don't even have to take it seriously as an option

I believe the consensus reached last night was that any mention of the "UK" must have "tiny island" prepended for clarity.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Note that the PM isn't second in command in general, it's more of a co-equal thing, involving balance between Parliament and President. Just right now they are of the President's party, so there is this sort of ordering there.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Instant local legend. That guy isn't going to have to pay for his pint for a while. :cheersdoge:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I know the usual way to deal with armored trains is to just destroy the tracks but I hope someone re-arranges them in a Looney Toons-style prank so the train goes into a lake.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

evilweasel posted:

what is "Russian-controlled areas of Donetsk and Luhansk" today? my recollection is that pre-war it was a thin strip, but they claimed vast parts actually controlled by ukraine. moving back to thin strips instead of the full claimed territory is at least a change, though not much of one - but not, of course, if the russian invasion now controls substantial additional territory.

it's on every map published regarding this war what the pre-war Russian controlled areas are.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If the Russians actually wanted a 'neutral' Ukraine, it would probably behoove them to keep the parts most likely to vote for neutrality in the Ukranian state rather than just kinda hope it happens via fiat, but hey, who am I?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it's transparently a gambit so that the Russians can say (especially to the Chinese, who are antsy about territorial landgrabs) "hey we don't want to conquer Ukraine, look, it's not even in our list of demands, but they refuse to give us our security considerations"

it's on Ukraine to pitch its own demands to call their bluff

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

I know the usual way to deal with armored trains is to just destroy the tracks but I hope someone re-arranges them in a Looney Toons-style prank so the train goes into a lake.

Pull some railroad switches, change the points from "to Kyiv" to "to Moscow", duck season! Fire!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Ukraine isn't fighting to get on the good side of the EU and NATO. They want to be on the good side of the EU and NATO because they think it will help them to get Russia the gently caress out of their country.

This is such a baby brain confusion of means vs. ends that it's hard to believe it's sincere when people trot it out. It's just so obviously backwards. It also makes no sense from the point of view of what actually motivates real humans to fight.

We can argue over how much support they should actually expect to get, but I'm guessing they aren't totally naive about it and are just trying to get as much as they can, because they think this will help them accomplish the overarching goal of... wait for it... getting Russia the gently caress out out their country.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Here's how Russian academics are excusing this thing during interviews with western outlets. Watch for the face crack at 1:40ish, though he tries to recover
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1498385889692721152?t=iFbrzuokdS4M9XfT_DHCSg&s=19

Warning: will probably make you angry

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Pull some railroad switches, change the points from "to Kyiv" to "to Moscow", duck season! Fire!

The train accidentally gets redirected to Poland and some very angry Polish military members greet it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

the popes toes posted:

I believe the consensus reached last night was that any mention of the "UK" must have "tiny island" prepended for clarity.

"Miserable island in the Atlantic" should suffice, really.

Tagesschau posted:

Only those who already have relatives in the UK are allowed to enter. The formalities are reportedly causing difficulties for many people. France's Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin had accused the British on Sunday of a "lack of humanity". Around 150 Ukrainians who wanted to travel across the English Channel to visit relatives in Britain had been asked by the British side to first apply for visas in Paris or Brussels, the Frenchman said.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

CommieGIR posted:

"Just ignore the nerve agents we used to murder people in UK, Ukraine is for real gonna create COVID II"

:actually: Technically it would be SARS COVID III. The current model is SARS COVID II.

Pedantry aside bioweapons grade bullshit should be asserted before your illeigetamate war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Barrel Cactaur posted:

:actually: Technically it would be SARS COVID III. The current model is SARS COVID II.

Pedantry aside bioweapons grade bullshit should be asserted before your illeigetamate war.

Got it, my bad!

COVID III, this time its serious.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Panzeh posted:

If the Russians actually wanted a 'neutral' Ukraine, it would probably behoove them to keep the parts most likely to vote for neutrality in the Ukranian state rather than just kinda hope it happens via fiat, but hey, who am I?

Ya they want to annex the parts of the country most likely to vote for a Russian friendly admin.

It doesn't make the most sense.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

ronya posted:

it's on Ukraine to pitch its own demands to call their bluff

It's unwise and impractical but the fanciful movie in my mind has the negotiating team say, "Due to our evaluation of objective facts on the ground, we have decided to postpone further negotiations for one month." And the West stops calling Putin and refuses to answer his phone calls. Dumb, but it's my movie.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

evilweasel posted:

I just assumed they had dropped all pretense of a separatist movement and interpreted it as “recognize independence of Donetsk and Luhansk, which are now Russian-controlled”, with all the irony that entails.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Cenodoxus posted:

1. gently caress off

What better terms do you think they're going to get?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KitConstantine posted:

Here's how Russian academics are excusing this thing during interviews with western outlets. Watch for the face crack at 1:40ish, though he tries to recover
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1498385889692721152?t=iFbrzuokdS4M9XfT_DHCSg&s=19

it's nice that the Russians retained the core Soviet playbook of whataboutism

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

This made me laugh a little:
https://twitter.com/SIGKILL/status/1500770387151384576?s=20&t=ZKZKjM3Vv2wxy-O-9LGB2g

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya they want to annex the parts of the country most likely to vote for a Russian friendly admin.

It doesn't make the most sense.

It makes sense if you consider that the goal has shifted from a Russian aligned Ukraine (pre 2014) to a dismembered Ukraine that can be further dismembered on a whim.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I mean, technically ever continent is an island.

Rasputitsa all around me, true, but I'm no island
Pariah state maybe, makes no sense I know, crazy
Give up all this rubles thats in my lap no lookin back
T-90s dont come equipped with rearview mirrors
They dip as quick as they can
The atmosphere is now ripped
Im so like a gimp, Im glad its night
So the light from the sunflowers would not burn me on my bum
When I shoot the moon high, jump the broom
Like an NLAW with the boom
My partner yellin "Too soon! Dont do it! Reconsider!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Carmant posted:

What better terms do you think they're going to get?

I think they might want one where Russia recognizes Ukraine as a sovereign state and fucks off.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It makes sense if you consider that the goal has shifted from a Russian aligned Ukraine (pre 2014) to a dismembered Ukraine that can be further dismembered on a whim.

Yeah, my broader point was more that the Russians have goals far beyond just 'keeping the country out of NATO' and the rhetoric and maximalist demands support that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Speaking of plague pathogens...how was the Covid situation in Ukraine before the war?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1500857592435908618

is this... the fourth one now?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

KitConstantine posted:

Being eastern european who very rarely drinks myself and having faced some lovely discrimination regarding it I don't normally enjoy the stereotype that all Russians are drunk on vodka all the time.

But he absolutely had a few shots before going fuckit and vomiting out propaganda he doesn't believe in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Nenonen posted:

I think they might want one where Russia recognizes Ukraine as a sovereign state and fucks off.

That's clearly not going to happen. If they were going to compromise, what would it look like? Just Crimea?