Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Sab669 posted:

Scale the stat down when I actually equip it.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I am a mighty sorcerer. Have felled terrible dragons with ease. I subdued the Queen of the Moon. I wield the mighty Darkmoon Sword. I fought and defeated the demi-god Radahn.

But if there's something I cannot defeat, no matter how hard I try, it's a really big, mean bear in a cave.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

He asks you to drug a lady and turn her into one of his dolls he's pretty hosed up. If you find the secret back room of his creephole, he shuts you up by giving you one of his dolls. Also you can turn certain other NPCs, like dung eater, into dolls you can later summon. Speaking of Seluvis: I've looked everywhere and still haven't found the amber shard he wants, anyone know where it is?

Yeah Seluvis is a real piece of poo poo.

You can give the potion to Gideon and have him dispose of it then just lie to Seluvis, which is what I did. It was pretty funny because Seluvis bought the lie completely and just thought the potion didn't work. He's not as smart as he pretends to be. Apparently he can also try to get you to give potions to other NPCs, including Ranni, but I'm not sure how to trigger that. Maybe you have to actually give the potion to Nepheli.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
God drat. I love this game, but it is big. Probably too big for my personal taste and, I guess, my expectations I've come to have about Souls games. Seeing new chunks of map uncovered, and then quest markers placed in unseen, even larger chunks, and then having the same thing happen underground is both awe-inspiring and also a little wearying. I feel like 2-3 regions put together equals about Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne size, and there's like... 3 of those. It's definitely really good, but it is so much more than I was expecting. I've read spoilers and I realize I've still got a ton left to do, ~35 hours in.

But I really am sometimes taken aback by what From has accomplished in putting so much content, largely very high quality (with some misses) into this game. It's legitimately kind of insane.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuebot posted:

He asks you to drug a lady and turn her into one of his dolls he's pretty hosed up. If you find the secret back room of his creephole, he shuts you up by giving you one of his dolls. Also you can turn certain other NPCs, like dung eater, into dolls you can later summon. Speaking of Seluvis: I've looked everywhere and still haven't found the amber shard he wants, anyone know where it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YK8cXKcF7w

Also pictured: Godrick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr8YI9xaRNw

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seluvis’s dollmaking is a way to create host bodies for ranni, but the fact that he’s got a personal sellen doll in his bedchamber leaves little to the imagination

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Graviija posted:

God drat. I love this game, but it is big. Probably too big for my personal taste and, I guess, my expectations I've come to have about Souls games. Seeing new chunks of map uncovered, and then quest markers placed in unseen, even larger chunks, and then having the same thing happen underground is both awe-inspiring and also a little wearying. I feel like 2-3 regions put together equals about Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne size, and there's like... 3 of those. It's definitely really good, but it is so much more than I was expecting. I've read spoilers and I realize I've still got a ton left to do, ~35 hours in.

But I really am sometimes taken aback by what From has accomplished in putting so much content, largely very high quality (with some misses) into this game. It's legitimately kind of insane.

i agree the game is probably a little bit too big, a bit wearying at times - but a lot of this is because so much of the non-major things you can find are really just either a shack, a rise, a tunnel or a catacomb and that's more or less it i think. and all of these areas use the same assets, so it's the same basic experience just with different rewards at the end.

there are quite a few places where dungeons could have been either combined into one more interesting area, or scaled down in size because there is quite a bit of running around only to discover like, a mushroom and a cliff.

the game does fake size on the map, though, since it portrays the cliffs as if they are huge landmasses when actually it's just a sheer drop and the play area is only a fraction of that.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

well I made it an hour and a half into the work work before turning Elden Ring back on

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was very surprised when I wrapped up around 85-90% of the content in just 70 hours, which is only around ten hours longer than my average first playthrough of DeS/DS/BB/Sekiro. Won't be the same for everyone but I think in the end I really like the smaller, compact dungeon design with the handful of longer legacy dungeons. It's better than having to fight through three extraneous areas to get to the next major boss.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Oxxidation posted:

seluvis’s dollmaking is a way to create host bodies for ranni, but the fact that he’s got a personal sellen doll in his bedchamber leaves little to the imagination

That's also the room Nepheli winds up in. In my game I gave the old man a potion and now Seluvis is going on about making an even better potion that could even turn a demi-god into a doll and given how hush-hush he is about keeping it a secret from Ranni, I think the creep is going to try and betray her.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Nuebot posted:

That's also the room Nepheli winds up in. In my game I gave the old man a potion and now Seluvis is going on about making an even better potion that could even turn a demi-god into a doll and given how hush-hush he is about keeping it a secret from Ranni, I think the creep is going to try and betray her.

Uh hey Ranni you should totally drink this potion made by me, the creepy "doll"-maker who thinks he's a genius. I'd take some serious lying from the player character to get that to work.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Starting to peek at the trophies and thank gently caress the weapons, spells, and talisman only need the legendary items and not ALL of the items. Of which only a few of them are missable. It’s weird actually seeing the list of trophies because outside of the endings almost all of them are optional bosses.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
is there a way to filter the map by beacons or make them bigger? I spend too much time looking for beacons that I forgot about.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 7, 2022

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

You can use your ash summons in the vicinity of one. A little icon that looks like a grave will pop up on the left side of the screen when one is nearby

that's so bizarre, to me. the icon is all I'm ever looking for if I plan to use an Ash, including the weird little pedestals almost seems like they intended you to have to use them to summon Ashes rather than just being in the area.

Retro Hippy
Feb 8, 2022

Godskin Duo is the worst boss in any FromSoft game. I got through the rest of the game without complaining but holy moly.

It took me forever to realize you can teleport out of that dungeon, because fast travel is locked at the start, and then at some arbitrary part it becomes unlocked again, but you won't know that unless you decide to open your map again which you have no real reason to do.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Chard posted:

that's so bizarre, to me. the icon is all I'm ever looking for if I plan to use an Ash, including the weird little pedestals almost seems like they intended you to have to use them to summon Ashes rather than just being in the area.
The pedestal is the thing that marks the region where the icon shows up. It's the same as the Stake of Marika having a little icon when you're in the respawn zone of one.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
My final opinion of the game: Amazing game, definitely has it's flaws but the sheer spectacle can't be denied. I absolutely had open world fatigue and was begging the game to stop introducing new areas after 60/70 hrs and think they could have shaved about 10% off without really missing much, but I did binge the game in a week so obviously my opinion is biased by that. The open world was interesting at first but felt pretty generic/samey by the end (again, binged), but it also still felt necessary to do because what if the breakout fun weapon you were looking for was in this random catacomb? Also there's so much locked behind NPC quests that, yeah, I still think that some form of log to tell you who you had talked to and what their deal was and maybe give an actual hint as to where they might be would be nice. My only other real complaints are balancing stuff like regular smithing stuff being really grindy (but somber is way easier to upgrade for no real reason) which really discourages experimentation, and the first 10-20 hrs of the game are pretty dire armor wise and they could have distributed a few more and not done random stuff like locking starter class armor behind endgame locations.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 7, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol yeah its real weird how its waaay easier to level up the somber weapons than actual normal weapons for awhile. especially when somber weapons are powerful as hell, like moonveil or the sword of stuff and things.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Zeron posted:

My final opinion of the game: Amazing game, definitely has it's flaws but the sheer spectacle can't be denied. I absolutely had open world fatigue and was begging the game to stop introducing new areas after 60/70 hrs and think they could have shaved about 10% off without really missing much, but I did binge the game in a week so obviously my opinion is biased by that. The open world was interesting at first but felt pretty generic/samey by the end (again, binged), but it also still felt necessary to do because what if the breakout fun weapon you were looking for was in this random catacomb? Also there's so much locked behind NPC quests that, yeah, I still think that some form of log to tell you who you had talked to and what their deal was and maybe give an actual hint as to where they might be would be nice. My only other real complaints are balancing stuff like regular smithing stuff being really grindy, but somber is way easier to upgrade for no real reason which really discourages experimentation, and the first 10-20 hrs of the game are pretty dire armor wise and they could have distributed a few more and not done random stuff like locking starter class armor behind endgame locations.

i agree with pretty much all of this

haven't quite completed it yet but i've just got about 3 areas to go, i think.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Faith builds, with the coded sword? Sword needs only faith, no other stats. It can't be infused or buffed, which kinda sucks but it gets A scaling in FTH, which I could use other incantations for damage.

Input always appreciated.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

I enjoy how he is the only character in a fromsoft game that speaks Spanish. The one bilingual demigod.

There's one lady who I met grieving the death of her better half, the beloved wolf, Lobo :razz:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Wait, sword of night and flame scales better with FTH? i've been putting points in INT.

Edit: I guess it's C/C until +10, then it becomes B/B.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I've seen plenty of messages claiming "secret ahead, try attacking" to get players to attack walls like idiots. A few messages encouraging players to jump off a cliff that will kill them. But I encountered an entirely new level of trolling messages.

Place a message right at the base of a ladder needed to escape from a powerful enemy. So when a player is panicking and scrambling for the ladder, the stupid message comes up instead. Genius!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I've seen plenty of messages claiming "secret ahead, try attacking" to get players to attack walls like idiots. A few messages encouraging players to jump off a cliff that will kill them. But I encountered an entirely new level of trolling messages.

Place a message right at the base of a ladder needed to escape from a powerful enemy. So when a player is panicking and scrambling for the ladder, the stupid message comes up instead. Genius!

"Try Snake!"

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So what's the deal with Margit and Margott the fell king? Same guy? Why was he loving around with us at Stormveil?

I will say defeating Margott in a one-shot felt loving good considering how much of a stone wall Margit was.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

i see this at pretty much every single ladder and chest but it's never gotten in my way because the ladder or chest prompt always comes up on top for me

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Retro Hippy posted:

Godskin Duo is the worst boss in any FromSoft game. I got through the rest of the game without complaining but holy moly.

It took me forever to realize you can teleport out of that dungeon, because fast travel is locked at the start, and then at some arbitrary part it becomes unlocked again, but you won't know that unless you decide to open your map again which you have no real reason to do.

Fast travel becomes available the instant you find a grace. It's so you can actually get back in.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

MasterBuilder posted:

If there are new players reading this, if you see a merchant selling a torch buy it. It's going to be useful throughout the entire game.
Until you find the merchant who sells the belt lantern.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Volte posted:

The pedestal is the thing that marks the region where the icon shows up. It's the same as the Stake of Marika having a little icon when you're in the respawn zone of one.

Again, if that's even the case it's a terrible visual indicator. The blue/white arch icon on the side is much more prominent and useful in a situation where I might want to summon, rather than remembering whether or not I passed some wall-colored bollard in the last few minutes.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

SL150 seems insane as a pvp level cap, holy. I can be like

50 vig
30 mind
15 end
12 str
36 dex
70 int

on my spellblade, thats fuckin madness stats wise, ill be one shotting poo poo with moonveil and spells.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

So it turns out there's an alternate route through Radhan's castle where you sneak in through a ladder/door in the back after climbing around a narrow cliffside and if you enter this way, it's a full-fledged dark souls castle jam-packed with enemies :psyduck: This is my third time through and the first two times I thought teleporting in after the academy to do the tournament was the only thing going on here.

e: It even has an additional boss fight and a unique colossal sword with a gravity aoe weapon art!

The first time I showed up at the bridge out front I mentioned it in PS4 party chat and my friend told me to run away as fast as possible...so naturally I rushed up and fought my way in via the path you mentioned. It was one of my favorite experiences in my playthrough, highly recommended.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Chard posted:

Again, if that's even the case it's a terrible visual indicator. The blue/white arch icon on the side is much more prominent and useful in a situation where I might want to summon, rather than remembering whether or not I passed some wall-colored bollard in the last few minutes.
It's not a visual indicator, it's the diegetic counterpart of the grave icon so that the summoning has some basis in the game world. I almost never see the Stake of Marika either but if they weren't there and I just was suddenly able to respawn outside a boss room arbitrarily it would feel like a metagaming mechanic and not something that makes sense in the world.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Any good guides out on Mage builds after level 60? i'm not sure if I should stop with Int at 40 for the time being or get it up to 60.....

Also, I'm sure people have complained about this before but hitting the "map" button while you're in the "map" screen should loving close the map.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

also any sorcs make sure you get the ice spells, theyre strong as hell AND proc frostbite.

oh and theres a fun bug where if you use determination or royal knights decree weapon art on your left hand, buff with it, and dont attack with your right hand, any spells you fire off get the 60%-80% damage buff lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

queeb posted:

SL150 seems insane as a pvp level cap, holy. I can be like

50 vig
30 mind
15 end
12 str
36 dex
70 int

on my spellblade, thats fuckin madness stats wise, ill be one shotting poo poo with moonveil and spells.

I think last I read people were actually arguing it should be higher. It’ll definitely be interesting to see where things settle in terms of what feels good for variety while also be able to reliably get through most of the game to collect everything needed in a build. The soft caps being where they are are some stuff like the spell with 70 int and other insane requirements will limit lower SL builds too much. Trying to do a SL120 or even lower while also keeping the base offensive required stats would basically leave you in 1-2 shot territory from everything else.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Volte posted:

It's not a visual indicator, it's the diegetic counterpart of the grave icon so that the summoning has some basis in the game world. I almost never see the Stake of Marika either but if they weren't there and I just was suddenly able to respawn outside a boss room arbitrarily it would feel like a metagaming mechanic and not something that makes sense in the world.

that isn't what diagetic means, and I'm still not entirely convinced it works the way you think it does. also lol that seeing a respawn point would somehow be immersion ruining metagaming in a game where you can zip across an enormous map at any point by hitting like three buttons

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ainsel River: Is there a second entrance to this place? I've explored the southern part of the map with the ants and the dragonkin boss, but I can't seem to reach the northern half at all.

Just a yes or no answer please.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pretty sure it's exactly what diagetic means

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think last I read people were actually arguing it should be higher. It’ll definitely be interesting to see where things settle in terms of what feels good for variety while also be able to reliably get through most of the game to collect everything needed in a build. The soft caps being where they are are some stuff like the spell with 70 int and other insane requirements will limit lower SL builds too much. Trying to do a SL120 or even lower while also keeping the base offensive required stats would basically leave you in 1-2 shot territory from everything else.

I'm not sure if the 70 Int spell should really be factored in since I can't imagine someone wanting to use that spell in a PvP build anyway--it's the most telegraphed, slowest-moving projectile in the world.

That said the sheer power they let players have in Elden Ring is probably going to make it really hard to find a good meta PvP level. Set it too low and it's just going to be glass cannon city where people pump offensive stats to use a hard-to-dodge weapon art and play rocket tag. Set it too high and everyone's good at everything and there aren't really any "builds."

Elden Ring is currently really not balanced for PvP, though, and my (likely very controversial) opinion is that I really prefer it that way, because the current state of the game allows for a lot of really fun and flashy stuff that sucks to play against in PvP to be good and usable in PvE. If (hopefully "if" and not "when") those things are nerfed for PvP reasons it's going to really flatten the PvE side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Ainsel River: Is there a second entrance to this place? I've explored the southern part of the map with the ants and the dragonkin boss, but I can't seem to reach the northern half at all.

Just a yes or no answer please.

Yes