Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Ainsel River: Is there a second entrance to this place? I've explored the southern part of the map with the ants and the dragonkin boss, but I can't seem to reach the northern half at all.

Just a yes or no answer please.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Graviija posted:

God drat. I love this game, but it is big. Probably too big for my personal taste

I actually agree with this and think the biggest issue is Limgrave. Limgrave is basically an enormous starting / tutorial zone... ideally, a tutorial zone should introduce you to all of the basically gameplay and world stuff as quickly as possible and then set you free. Breath of the Wild's "Great Plateau" was actually just about the perfect size: big enough to allow you to wander around and explore freely, but small enough to force you into the wider world within a few hours (and at that point, truly every corner of the map is immediately available to you)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve spent like 80 hours in this game and I still have areas to clear / maps to find. The game is beyond big. It’s loving absurd.

Oh man what if they release DLC with every more areas or an entire new continent.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

here's the two screenshots I posted before; in both I'm snuggled right up against the post, but in one the icon is present and the other it isn't. so how to interpret that?

also (this I would need to go in and verify but I'm pretty sure) what about catacomb bosses where you start being able to summon Ash as soon as you cross the fog door? It's possible there's a post tucked in a corner of those arenas somewhere, but the side icon is what is telling the player what they can do. They may have been intended that way but if so it is not effective

Poltroon
Dec 15, 2008

Deki posted:

So what's the deal with Margit and Margott the fell king? Same guy? Why was he loving around with us at Stormveil?

I will say defeating Margott in a one-shot felt loving good considering how much of a stone wall Margit was.

Yes, Margit and Morgott are the same guy. He's an Omen, which is a child born of cursed blood. There are several enemies and minibosses styled as Omenkillers, which indicates that they were the subject of purges throughout the Lands Between at one point. Morgott is of Godfrey's lineage, I believe, and therefore royal; however, because of his curse, he was hidden away and unable to assume the throne.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They didn't release a season pass so I would assume this will be more like sekiro and not have substantial DLC. In this case I'm actually ok with it, one of those games where I liked it, but it was definitely... enough

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Where’s my loving collab, Capcom/From?

https://twitter.com/bjdadcs/status/1500676872908251136?s=21

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Made quick work of Margit, Godrick, and the friendly little guy in the basement of Stormveil last night with only dying to mobs throughout Stormveil. Guess 37 was overlevelled for the area. Game is incredible.

I followed a build I found online for dual wielding scimitars with bloody slash. I was under the impression that adding the art brought a passive bleed effect to it and have been mostly just doing the jump L1 attacks that hit 4 times and the game has been pretty trivial. Doing some reading I'm seeing that the bleed only works when I hit with L2 and it takes 10% of my HP?

Is that correct? If so, does that mean that I've actually been hurting myself by using the bloody slash without the L2 as the damage drops on it by having applied it?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This is loving killing me I have to get concrete work done today and I have to study for a certification exam tomorrow and I just want to play more Elden Ring. In retrospect it was a mistake to start last night -- I had enough time to explore for a minute, get to Margit, and then go to bed as soon as all the stuff started fizzing in my brain and all I want to do is experiment with things. I keep trying to look up weapons and stuff and I have just enough knowledge to be intrigued but not enough to know what getting to any of this stuff could possibly entail.

Not sure whether or not to read lore spoilers in the meantime -- this game seems way too big and difficult and vague for me to be able to piece it all together myself, but I do like being surprised by whatever weird poo poo is coming my way.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I think I am getting close to the end and I've botched like every single npc questline like I do in every souls game. I've been trying to see if anything is salvageable this playthrough and the npcs are either dead or won't talk about anything. :rip:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I started as a Confessor, and I'd like my healing spell to restore more health. Do I upgrade my finger seal with smithing stones, or put more points into Faith? Or would either do it?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

J posted:

I think I am getting close to the end and I've botched like every single npc questline like I do in every souls game. I've been trying to see if anything is salvageable this playthrough and the npcs are either dead or won't talk about anything. :rip:

:same: half of my buddies are dead and the others won't say anything new to me. this is how I know my first playthrough is going the right way.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

J posted:

loving up all the npc questlines is the free bingo square of the blind first playthrough of a fromsoft game lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

J posted:

At least you can't screw up Ranni...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This Lake of Rot is one hell of a troll area. What am I supposed to so, suffer the whole way across?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wild Strikes with the Heavy Chainlink Flail is insane, strike+bleed with good stagger. That is if you aren't using Hoarfrost Stomp all the time tho :haw:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Run like hell and keep chugging potions, there's a grace point at the end of the swamp. I came in with 10 potions and needed like 8

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

SettingSun posted:

This Lake of Rot is one hell of a troll area. What am I supposed to so, suffer the whole way across?

there's a faith spell near (south of? can't remember) the church of vows that cures you of scarlet rot, 12 faith requirement. that's what i used.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
It appears I have screwed up the Varre whiteface questline, which prevents me from accessing Mohgwyn in order to get the +10 somber smithing stones.

I thought to myself I'll never invade or do PVP, so I'll sell these that he gave me. Now it turns out I need to at least invade 3 worlds.

Any ideas? When I use the recusant finger, I see that I get 3 festering bloody fingers, but when I scour my inventory they are gone.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Yeah ok loving Milenia is going to be an issue. I remember when I played through Sekiro I had a tally marker for Demon of Hatred that got to like 80 deaths or something ridiculous and I only started counting after a dozen or so tries. I made at least twenty attempts on Milenia and only got to stage two once and was one-shotted and I was absolutely crushed to my very soul when I found out there even was a stage two lol . Does anyone have a consistent way to block that awful attack besides a greatshield? It seems like the dodging is just bonkers and if you dodge once the wrong way that's it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

It appears I have screwed up the Varre whiteface questline, which prevents me from accessing Mohgwyn in order to get the +10 somber smithing stones.

I thought to myself I'll never invade or do PVP, so I'll sell these that he gave me. Now it turns out I need to at least invade 3 worlds.

Any ideas? When I use the recusant finger, I see that I get 3 festering bloody fingers, but when I scour my inventory they are gone.

There's another way into Moghwyn. Portal in Consecrated Snowfield, Haligtree medallion area.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I rode down and fought some ants. Then I found another area right next to the queen with a new elevator.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bob Socko posted:

I started as a Confessor, and I'd like my healing spell to restore more health. Do I upgrade my finger seal with smithing stones, or put more points into Faith? Or would either do it?

There's some more you can buy later on that heal a ton more.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

lite_sleepr posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding, but you can access that area without doing that questline, and that's far from the only source of +10 somber anyway. Hint Look for a teleporter in the secret half of the ice map

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

There's some more you can buy later on that heal a ton more.

Thank you!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bob Socko posted:

Both, but also there are healing spells available later that will heal for more as well.

Your sacred seal has an "Incantation Scaling" stat that goes up with your Faith and also goes up as you upgrade the seal. Other seals may be better later on, too, I'm not too sure myself which ones are the best ones. I do know the starting Finger Seal is generally a good one, though. So as your Faith goes up and your seal is upgraded, all of your incantations will be stronger.

Retro Hippy
Feb 8, 2022

Andrast posted:

Fast travel becomes available the instant you find a grace. It's so you can actually get back in.

I swear it was not letting me fast travel out even after finding multiple graces.

Reading a couple random reddit posts, it might be that you can only fast travel out of this area when you're AT the sites of grace.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Varre's quest only let's you get to the area extremely early. If waiting is fine there's an actual portal in a much later area. Otherwise go hit up merchants with a flexible morality. There are more fingers to buy out there

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you can fast travel as soon as you rest at a bonfire, not just unlock it.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

There are little safe zones you can activate. Look for some land masses and some of them should have a big button you can step on. There is a cool little helmet you can find in the area.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

These little malfunctioning assholes are great and I’m totally not mad about how many times they killed me

https://twitter.com/mrpyo1/status/1500523938681696261?s=21

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

SettingSun posted:

Honestly, I didn't find it that bad. The gimmick is obvious from the start, so you know that you are going to make suicidal runs to round up the loot, and as long as you don't go in with a billion runes, there's no penalty for dying.

And unlike other "poison swamp" areas by From Soft, this one is actually trivial to go through if you're not interested in said loot.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Harrow posted:

Both, but also there are healing spells available later that will heal for more as well.

Your sacred seal has an "Incantation Scaling" stat that goes up with your Faith and also goes up as you upgrade the seal. Other seals may be better later on, too, I'm not too sure myself which ones are the best ones. I do know the starting Finger Seal is generally a good one, though. So as your Faith goes up and your seal is upgraded, all of your incantations will be stronger.

Perfect, thank you.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Game is amazing so far, my only gripes are just minor QOL annoyances and some of them have carried over from previous souls games.

1. There needs to be a symbol for catacombs/dungeons for when a boss has been completed. Clearly the game keeps track of it for you, a simple colored ring around the icon would be super helpful. I know you can mark them manually but come on...

2. The always-on system notification popup returns, it should only pop up when a new announcement or patch is made not every single time you start the game or try to quit the game or load another save.

3. The map button being pressed again should close it, not open some pointless menu for help. Seems like every single time I open the map I end up accidentally going into this menu rather than back to the game.

4. Just add a quit to desktop option please lol

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I'm sure this has been asked before but what is everyone's favorite summon to use?

I have a centaur dude with a bow who usually does good-ish damage and then will get into melee if the enemy gets in his grill.

I also used skele-bros for a bit. They're good if the enemy doesn't wipe the floor with them after they get taken out, but they're starting to get really weak the further into the game I get.

Trying to figure out what else I should try at this point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tensokuu posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but what is everyone's favorite summon to use?

I have a centaur dude with a bow who usually does good-ish damage and then will get into melee if the enemy gets in his grill.

I also used skele-bros for a bit. They're good if the enemy doesn't wipe the floor with them after they get taken out, but they're starting to get really weak the further into the game I get.

obvious answer but Rotten Stray

praise lovely dog :shittydog:

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Tensokuu posted:

If you're a mage then Oleg is tremendously tanky and also grabs agro a lot. The warhawk is really good because the bosses have a real hard time hitting it.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I like the little imps, they proc bleed and are pretty relentless. Also has a ranged attack.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

any tips for level 50's strength builds? stats are something like 34 str, 25 vig/end, and just enough dex/faith for weapons and heal/poison cleanse incantations. using the greataxe 2-handed for the most part, leveled +7 or +8

i feel like damage is fine, but everything in liurnia will just hand me my rear end if i don't get the first hit in. most effective ashes seems to be the butt stomp, but i feel like i'm doing something wrong in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If you want to level up faster in the early part of the game, just do some coop as a cooperator. You get runes so drat fast and you don't lose them.