Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Farm Frenzy posted:

its a video about why deus ex 1 is good

I haven't made it all the way through the video yet, but this is a big part of it. The core of the video is basically picking apart why the original DX was so good, and why the choices that Human Revolution made to differentiate itself were understandable but ultimately lead to an inferior game. I've found it to be a really interesting deep dive into the choices that guide game development, and have very much enjoyed it thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Harry Potter is the only force in the world powerful enough to make this thread ignore an HBomb video. Such is the power of wizardry. God bless.

Took until that video for me to finally learn that Deus Ex was a game that let you blow up doors with grenades or bullets. What a concept! You'd think taking the hinges off the things would be more common by now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Suddenly remembering how much more whimsical it was in the first book where in order to get away from the invitations to Hogwarts, Mr. Dursley packs them all up and rows out to a desolate island as far away from civilization as possible. Much more amusing than the depressingly realistic child abuse.

Edit: Freely letting Harry go would still be, on some level, admitting that magic is real and that he is special and has value as a person. More special than precious little Dudley even! :monocle:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 7, 2022

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I made it half way through the Deus Ex video before I gave up because I had got his point and it didn’t seem like he had anything else interesting to say.

It’s also the first hbomberguy video I haven’t finished if that validates my opinion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did you play HR before the video? Right now it's the main thing keeping me watching because it allows me to see a different viewpoint and reevaluate my past experience with the game. I find it's easier to follow these ultra long videos if I've had experience with the subject matter beforehand. Going in blind sometimes loses me.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Armitag3 posted:

Didn't know this person before but I liked this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dofobG4ZQs

i find Hazel and ThorHighHeels (who are friends, incidentally)'s editing styles to really resonate with me for some reason, they definitely put in a lot of work when they could just do the usual "show footage of [game/video] and call it a day" but they go above and beyond. Civvie11 also has some great editing skills, I still laugh at the "what is the time, civvie eleven?" in that I Am Empty video

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It feels a bit weird how much Hbomb praises the first level of Deus ex, considering that at least in the 00s the basic consensus seemed to be "the beginning kind of sucks, but try to hang on, it gets much better".

(or maybe I'm completely misremembering that)

Nowadays it has gained a plenty of nostalgia value.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

What happened to that old video where Hbomb plays Harry Potter, the medieval artisan who makes pots?

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXJcQkvRa4

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kennel posted:

It feels a bit weird how much Hbomb praises the first level of Deus ex, considering that at least in the 00s the basic consensus seemed to be "the beginning kind of sucks, but try to hang on, it gets much better".

People rag on Liberty Island but I loved it and it completely sold me on the game.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Kennel posted:

I'm pretty sure it was less about the design of Liberty Island and more the fact that early game in every RPG of its style kinda sucks. Your character is useless at all but the 1 or 2 skills you put points in and you don't have any augments unlocked yet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dire Lemming posted:

I'm pretty sure it was less about the design of Liberty Island and more the fact that early game in every RPG of its style kinda sucks. Your character is useless at all but the 1 or 2 skills you put points in and you don't have any augments unlocked yet.

Yeah cRPG's of the era tended to hit the player immediately with a stat screen before they even had any idea of what the game was about or what they should even be stating for, and if you made the mistake of keeping your name as "None" or spec'ing for swimming in Deus Ex or not spec'ing for mage in Planscape then whoops gently caress you you've completely wasted your save file! To be honest I kind of disagree with Hbomb that this style is good or "trusts the player" or whatever. Realistically you should have a feel for what you're getting into before setting your character in stone. I prefer something like New Vegas which lets you pick a build, gently caress around a starter area for a bit using that build, and then on the way out to the main map asks you "okay so do you actually like this, or do you want to respec?"

Even better is something like the recent souls games that just let you respect basically for free, basically whenever you want. You don't have to do it, but if you don't like what you've build in a character and want to try something new, go nuts.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wanted to see ehat the reaction here was to hbombs latest and instead there's a multi-page discussion because some dipshit defended the chattel slavery in harry potter

Good show

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

Wanted to see ehat the reaction here was to hbombs latest and instead there's a multi-page discussion because some dipshit defended the chattel slavery in harry potter

Good show

look dude

sometimes its good when horrible systemic issues like slavery just go unresolved in a fantasy story, hell the protagonist can even tacitly support it.

now let me tell you about isekai anime

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thank you!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

McCloud posted:

Good show

oh so now the snyder guy is gonna preach to us!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr. bomberguy's video was very good and correct but I was surprised he never mentioned Cruelty Squad though that could've been in the last minute or so I didn't watch.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fun hater posted:

oh so now the snyder guy is gonna preach to us!

What an extremely odd non sequitur

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twincityhacker posted:

The boats and carriages are spefically at Hogwarts, which has large numbers of children that cannot apperate nor, as Hermonie is fond to remind us, you cannot apperate onto Hogwarts Grounds ( though you can use a port key on them ).
Except Elves can teleport in and out of Hogwarts just fine and there's at least half a dozen secret ways into Hogwarts that are shown throughout the series.
Isn't elf-magic also demonstrated to be way more powerful than what "strong pureblood wizards" like Lucius Malfoy (again, lol at Rowlings naming of characters; foy = faith, mal = bad, so "bad faith") can counter? Heck, house-elves go toe-to-toe with the baddies in the final battle.
Also, doesn't the novels basically say that house-elves can perform human magic including dark magic? Because nobody challenges the claim that a house-elf could summon a giant skull only known to the supporters of the main villain.

I'm starting to be reminded of what I really disliked when I read the novels; no internal consistency. Some places it's implies that house elves have their own magic, and other places it's implied that other magical beings can also use that magic, but that humans are the only ones that can't. Is that the case for goblin magic, or is it that there's human magic which requires wands (except through extensive training or as an accident when you're a child(?)) and every-other-magical-being-magic?
Rowling is a bad writer, is what I'm getting at.

Stormgale posted:

I found his video kind of contradictory and only really got a cohesive through line near the end.

It was fine.
I'm honestly not sure I buy the argument that the game is fine; when someone can spend several hours showing how the game contains examples that demonstrate that the developers knew how to do a thing, but then deliberately chose to do it in a much simpler way, to satisfy an appeal to simplicity that nobody except the developers wanted, that's probably an indication that the game isn't fine.
Additionally, if the only thing that makes the game fine is that it has decent combat, and that there are many more titles which have much better combat, that's not enough to qualify it as being fine.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 7, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think Human Revolution was "fine" when comparing it to games at the time. There are much worse games out there but yeah I think it's poo poo compared to the original game. I had a lot of the same thoughts playing through it back then as hbomb talked about in his video and I was likely grading it on a curve as im-sims were dead at the time and it was nice to get something even coming close to approaching one.

Not sure what's contradictory in it though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Human Revolution is a lot of individual parts that don't mesh well. I like the discussions about transhumanism but the game only raises the questions rather than offering a true thesis statement. Then Mankind Divided unfortunately got gutted in production so any attempt to follow up on the transhumanist arguments of HR got replaced with MECHANICAL APARTHEID.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
anything particularly interesting happen in the last 2000 posts

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

donby is a free elf

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think Human Revolution was "fine" when comparing it to games at the time. There are much worse games out there but yeah I think it's poo poo compared to the original game. I had a lot of the same thoughts playing through it back then as hbomb talked about in his video and I was likely grading it on a curve as im-sims were dead at the time and it was nice to get something even coming close to approaching one.

Not sure what's contradictory in it though.
I guess it's that he's complaining that hacking is mandatory and saying that Deux Ex was great for giving you multiple ways to approach it depending on how you've built your character, but in his Fallout 3 video he complains that lockpicking isn't mandatory and you can just press a button to open a door or whatever, sometimes after a short sidequest or just searching around a teeny bit for a password key.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sorry to say that no matter how many times it is said or explained what it means "immersive sim" is a bad style or genre descriptor that doesn't tell you anything. If you know you know otherwise you might as well be saying "Soulsborne" or "Metroidvania" or "Doom clone". Then again, I think most of them these days are pretty useless since genres have been mingling and creating something wholly new.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Except Elves can teleport in and out of Hogwarts just fine and there's at least half a dozen secret ways into Hogwarts that are shown throughout the series.
Isn't elf-magic also demonstrated to be way more powerful than what "strong pureblood wizards" like Lucius Malfoy (again, lol at Rowlings naming of characters; foy = faith, mal = bad, so "bad faith") can counter? Heck, house-elves go toe-to-toe with the baddies in the final battle.
Also, doesn't the novels basically say that house-elves can perform human magic including dark magic? Because nobody challenges the claim that a house-elf could summon a giant skull only known to the supporters of the main villain.

I'm starting to be reminded of what I really disliked when I read the novels; no internal consistency. Some places it's implies that house elves have their own magic, and other places it's implied that other magical beings can also use that magic, but that humans are the only ones that can't. Is that the case for goblin magic, or is it that there's human magic which requires wands (except through extensive training or as an accident when you're a child(?)) and every-other-magical-being-magic?
Rowling is a bad writer, is what I'm getting at.

While you're right about the Hogwarts thing in the second Fabulous Beasts movie they just apparate onto Hogwarts because JK doesn't care, or doesn't remember, and would double down with some nonsense if you called her out on it anyway. Rowling's wonderful wizarding world is basically Who's Line Is It Anyway where the rules are made up and the points don't matter. Which would be fine if that's what she was going for, but she didn't, also she's a terrible person so double awful. Probably triple.

Who is it that works really hard to have super consistent magic rules? Brandon Sanderson?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Sorry to say that no matter how many times it is said or explained what it means "immersive sim" is a bad style or genre descriptor that doesn't tell you anything. If you know you know otherwise you might as well be saying "Soulsborne" or "Metroidvania" or "Doom clone". Then again, I think most of them these days are pretty useless since genres have been mingling and creating something wholly new.

MOBA makes even less sense and everyone decided that one was fine (even when Valve tried to push a better more descriptive name). There's probably another genre or two whose label doesn't make sense either. I agree with you the name alone doesn't make sense but it's what we're stuck with.

edit: oh thought of another - "adventure games". I know what that refers to but on its own it's not a very good descriptor.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Jimbot posted:

Immersive sim is a word people use because "Stealth game" or " FPS with Rpg elements" doesn't have enough prestige. And they want to distinguish themselves from the plebs that play basic games.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Arquinsiel posted:

I guess it's that he's complaining that hacking is mandatory and saying that Deux Ex was great for giving you multiple ways to approach it depending on how you've built your character, but in his Fallout 3 video he complains that lockpicking isn't mandatory and you can just press a button to open a door or whatever, sometimes after a short sidequest or just searching around a teeny bit for a password key.

His Fallout 3 video was also made 6 years ago, and his views have probably evolved over time.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I like the hacking mini game in HR a lot because enemies can still see you and shoot you in the mini game screen, so it has some cool tension. I really like the original and HR and yeah HR has some problems, but the constant “why didn’t you just do this” in the video repeated over and over without acknowledging his solutions would probably also break a bunch of other poo poo was sort of annoying. I’m mostly complaining because he did it so many times I also stopped watching the video because of it.

Also if choices don’t affect the plot I’ve never really cared, I just like having a say in the characters emotional response, even if they have no choice in the matter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Acebuckeye13 posted:

His Fallout 3 video was also made 6 years ago, and his views have probably evolved over time.
I'd guess that just that he's more inclined to be forgiving of a thing when he enjoys the game, because his fallout video is bracketed between his Deus Ex experience and this video. For whatever reason he found one type of multi-approach gameplay fun and the other type not so fun. I guess Fallout 3 just rewards you less for loving around and finding little enviromental poo poo?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fallout 3 gives you several options with differing levels of difficulty and required investment but no difference of out come. Deus Ex gives several options of differing difficulty and required investment but also different outcomes. Which is the same thing he pointed out about the differing options in his New Vegas video.

Though the Game Dungeon on Human Revolution already said more or less everything hbomb did in less than one quarter the time.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Armitag3 posted:

Didn't know this person before but I liked this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dofobG4ZQs

hazel owns, highly recommend all her vids(and her music too)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If the short-term goal is "open thing" and you have three paths to do it, then there's no difference in outcome for that specific goal, so the mechanic isn't the problem at all.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Jimbot posted:

He touches on it in the video, but immersive sim is short hand for “A subpar stealth game, a subpar shooter, a subpar RPG. But it’s all one game! Could you imagine how cool it would be if they were all good?!”

And your enjoyment of any given immersive sim is dependent on which subpar element they made half decent, and if that’s the type of game you enjoy.

(MGS V is the only good immersive sim)

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 7, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If the options to open the door are one method that requires no resource expenditure and two that require resource expenditure and all three take the exact same amount of time there functionally is no option. Fallout 3 hands you the key quite regularly with no difference of effort or time required to use it vs the stuff you need to invest skill points into. In Deus Ex the difference is usually between taking more time, using an item/ammo, or bypassing the door with more platforming/fighting.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

He touches on it in the video, but immersive sim is short hand for “A subpar stealth game, a subpar shooter, a subpar RPG. But it’s all one game! Could you imagine how cool it would be if they were all good?!”

And your enjoyment of any given immersive sim is dependent on which subpar element they made half decent, and if that’s the type of game you enjoy.

(MGS V is the only good immersive sim)
Wrong, Cruelty Squad is the best immersive sim.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 7, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Spending resources requires you to have gathered them previously and then replace them once they're spent, so the criticism feels a little hollow and contradictory to me. Perhaps the other apparent contradiction people see is the complaint about limiting Praxis and saving it for when you need it and then praising the ammunition scarcity, but there's a pretty good explanation of how the ammunition scarcity results in another janky worldbuilding outcome so :shrug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wrong, Cruelty Squad is the best immersive sim.

It's so so so good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Spending resources requires you to have gathered them previously and then replace them once they're spent, so the criticism feels a little hollow and contradictory to me.
How is it contradictory? If you do not have the resource you either have to pick a different option or a different solution for the door. That's the intended consequence of multiple options. But if there is always an option that consumes no resources or time available you will never take the one that consumes resources. That's the whole point.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or you go get the resources. At the end it's just the same outcome: you gently caress around a bit and then progress. Your statement that someone will never take the option that requires resources is just not true. Some people really like the minigames for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes going to get the resources is an expenditure of time. This sort of resource management and the feeling of consequence it creates is the primary thing people are talking about when they talk about immersive sims. I don't see how you're having so much trouble grasping this.

This is like asking why people care about gun feel in an FPS game because you could just melee kill everyone instead.