Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Barrel Cactaur posted:

:actually: Technically it would be SARS COVID III. The current model is SARS COVID II.

Pedantry aside bioweapons grade bullshit should be asserted before your illeigetamate war.

TSARS COVID IIIRD ROME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CommieGIR posted:

Got it, my bad!

COVID III, this time its serious.

COVID III: Die Darkman, Die!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jesus, the Ukraine military inventory is gonna be impressive after this conflict.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

$10 mil a pop I think I read somewhere?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Trump posted:

And the danish society is still saddled by a weird anti-militaristic sentiment (1864 is 150 years ago, let it go people), but it's changing.

Around five years ago I was shocked to find not just a danish film on american netflix- a gritty afghan war story about a burly bearded danish spec ops guy Making Hard Choices In the Sandbox. Seen plenty of those from the US and Russia with their own :911:/:ussr: flavours. Did not expect the danes on that train. If you told me "danish war film in the modern day" I would have expected a Canadian Bacon spoof about a fake Scania war.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Carmant posted:

That's clearly not going to happen. If they were going to compromise, what would it look like? Just Crimea?

Well if they can't get to decide on their own affairs then what is there to negotiate? Moscow would anyway use any excuse to blackmail Ukraine for more concessions or re-start hostilities. Ukrainians don't want Putin, that's what the Orange Revolution and Euromaidan were about. And they will never forgive him this war. So really the only options are a) Russia lets Ukraine go or b) Russia finishes Ukraine.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's really sporting of Russia to donate all this cool stuff to the country they are invading

They won't need as many weapons from the west with all this stuff on hand. Problem solved Tankies! :shepface:

People should keep in mind this is a country's people fighting for their right to exist as a soverign entity. Russia and Putin gave away the game too early with that "Liebensraum" bullshit 2 weeks ago

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 7, 2022

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Carmant posted:

That's clearly not going to happen. If they were going to compromise, what would it look like? Just Crimea?

It is interesting to note the demilitarization demand got dropped publicly. What neutrality in the constitution means is anyone's guess though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Those Pantsir systems are the top of the line short range air defense systems in Russian inventory. They're specifically designed in theory to be able to acquire and shoot down small UAV and acquire targets very quickly as part of an integrated system. They are expensive, more like 15 million bucks for the device alone excluding reloads, training, service support, etc.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeC posted:

It is interesting to note the demilitarization demand got dropped publicly. What neutrality in the constitution means is anyone's guess though.

Perhaps we should assume that when Russia says 'neutrality' it means what it has always meant in the past by 'neutrality', which is to say 'you are a Russia client state and you can have a bit of autonomy as long as you never ever look West'.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Well if they can't get to decide on their own affairs then what is there to negotiate? Moscow would anyway use any excuse to blackmail Ukraine for more concessions or re-start hostilities. Ukrainians don't want Putin, that's what the Orange Revolution and Euromaidan were about. And they will never forgive him this war. So really the only options are a) Russia lets Ukraine go or b) Russia finishes Ukraine.

The obvious middle path is Ukraine makes territorial concessions of some nature without making any concessions regarding their sovereignty.

Crimea you can probably write off. The breakaway republics are a tougher question (and whether that's prewar line of control or the entire oblasts), but the Russian bargaining position is (for now) pretty strong considering they actually occupy the ground.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alchenar posted:

Perhaps we should assume that when Russia says 'neutrality' it means what it has always meant in the past by 'neutrality', which is to say 'you are a Russia client state and you can have a bit of autonomy as long as you never ever look West'.

there are potential constructions that would sound like neutrality but are stronger for ukraine in practice, like no foreign armies on its soil or whatever. but we're a long way from russia being willing to back down its demands enough that there's even room for agreement given that russia's word is worthless so the situation created by the peace deal needs to be relatively stable regardless of bad russian intent

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

the popes toes posted:

$10 mil a pop I think I read somewhere?

They were charging 15 million several years ago so the price is likely closer to 20 million now. Granted that cost also includes stuff like spare parts, training and ammunition as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Does the person filming say “pasho na khui pedarast?” If so lmao I remembered my Kazakh friend teaching me this too for extra emphasis.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

MikeC posted:

That's probably the bit about never joining NATO or the EU.

While I definitely hope negotiations make progress I have trouble picturing Russia accepting anything like a fair compromise in any situation other than total collapse, in which case Ukraine will probably just be able to do whatever it wants. Even if Ukraine somehow manages to kick Russia out of its borders entirely I imagine Russia's going to keep up the ridiculous demands because they (or rather Putin) need a "win."

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

TulliusCicero posted:

Russia and Putin gave away the game too early with that "Liebensraum" bullshit 2 weeks ago

"Liebensraum" would be a space to make love in.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Realistically any concessions that leave Ukraine unable to join NATO is basically a prayer that Putin dies before he tries to invade again. You also can't join NATO if you have disputed territorial conflicts, so a referendum that trades the two republics and Crimea for NATO would probably be a good deal. Russia would objectively be worse off than before the invasion though, it's unlikely Putin could live with that. Maybe ideally the solution is for Ukraine to be considered a neutral territory by treaty between Russia and NATO, but it's unlikely that NATO could accept such a treaty.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Atreiden posted:

That doesn't make Denmark neutral, we are very much a close ally of the U.S. and followed them on non-nato missions such as the second Iraq war. We are apparently also going to have a referendum on our opt-out of the EU defense in June.

I mean Denmark is literally a founding member of NATO. I’m not sure how anyone could read its status as that of a ‘neutral’ state.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

:actually: Technically it would be SARS COVID III. The current model is SARS COVID II.

Pedantry aside bioweapons grade bullshit should be asserted before your illeigetamate war.

I hate being That Guy*, but the current model is SARS-CoV-2.

CoV stands for coronavirus, whereas COVID-19 stands for Coronavirus Infectious Disease 2019. COVID wasn't used for the first SARS pandemic, so if we're going down this line of thought, it actually would be something like COVID 2.

*No I don't

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

All the Chinese garment shops being unable to jump on the international "gently caress You Russia" merchandise bandwagon is probably driving them mad with frustration.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They say something about it being 3rd one in 10 days, also that it was under fire, stopped there, and now they will destroy it.
So congrats for Russian Armed forces for at least getting it lost in an ambush, and not just abandoning the hardware after running out of gas.. :eng99:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Denmark is neutral in the Dungeons and Dragons alignment sense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

alex314 posted:

They say something about it being 3rd one in 10 days, also that it was under fire, stopped there, and now they will destroy it.
So congrats for Russian Armed forces for at least getting it lost in an ambush, and not just abandoning the hardware after running out of gas.. :eng99:

I figured they got bushwhacked because the vehicle is at a 90 degree angle to the road with the front jammed in to a tree- probably driving down the road, got shot at, tried to turn around in a wheeled vehicle on a very narrow road, got stuck, bailed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

"Liebensraum" would be a space to make love in.

I mean, it’s accurate in that someone is going to get hosed.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

There should not be an opt out for anyone on anything in the EU, except the Euro.

The fact that Denmark can be in nato but not have any defense obligations to the union itself is a disgrace. It is exactly the sort of US dependancy that the EU needs to be free of.

I mean, honestly, it’s pretty difficult to get sovereign states to surrender parts of their sovereign status they have enjoyed since… well forever.

These things take time.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus, the Ukraine military inventory is gonna be impressive after this conflict.

Maybe this is Russian 15d chess plan all along - swamp Ukraine army with so much unmaintained poo poo with missing components that Ukraine either bankrupts itself trying to bring it up to slack or the warehouses are just filled with it - demilitarization would finally be achieved :ussr:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Actual headline:

Ukraine war: Terminally ill children in Russia line up outside hospice in shape of 'Z' to show support for invasion.

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-...vasion-12560034

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

alex314 posted:

Yeah, it would make sense foe the Ukrainian land forces to be prioritizing air defense so they can open up columns to airstrikes.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

the popes toes posted:

Actual headline:

Ukraine war: Terminally ill children in Russia line up outside hospice in shape of 'Z' to show support for invasion.

https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-...vasion-12560034

In this day and age you don't even need to broadcast your propaganda to your enemy, the enemy will do it themselves if its clickbaity enough.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tamba posted:

Speaking of plague pathogens...how was the Covid situation in Ukraine before the war?

not sure. I know it was really really bad in russia. like possibly 2 million dead bad.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

MikeC posted:

Cheerleading that the Ukrainians should fight to the last man on the Wests behalf so Putin is too busy to eye the Baltics which would require NATO to have real stones....that's something else.

Who itt is arguing this?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Fritz the Horse posted:

Who itt is arguing this?

The straw man he’s set up in the corner.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Denmark is neutral in the Dungeons and Dragons alignment sense.

I'm sorry but we're N (LE).

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

ZombieLenin posted:

The straw man he’s set up in the corner.

Indeed, the West is finally getting some of this slav on slav action. Their true fetish!

The Z becoming a new swastika is something else too. In Russia, it's becoming a MAGA hat meant to show your support to the government, as a purely political and patriotic stance. "Why does the Z offend you? I'm only showing I'm a patriot of my country". It conveniently obscures any of the atrocities being committed in the war.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 7, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The Russian forces coming from the northeast/east have been seen making a lot of distance gains the last few days and making the same mistake as in the west - leaving the support lines undefended

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1500869636186910728?s=20&t=dUhXqt0cjZv-FfjYcXRjQg

No bodies, just military battle aftermath of burned out fuel trucks in Chernihiv Oblast

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

The Russian forces coming from the northeast/east have been seen making a lot of distance gains the last few days and making the same mistake as in the west - leaving the support lines undefended

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1500869636186910728?s=20&t=dUhXqt0cjZv-FfjYcXRjQg

No bodies, just military battle aftermath of burned out fuel trucks in Chernihiv Oblast

The thing I immediately notice there - that is not good ambush terrain if the opposing force has even a shred of security.

e: people who have spent the last three months very confidently completely misreading Putin and saying 'he won't invade, he's said he won't' also very confidently completely misreading Zelensky and assuming that he was somehow tricked into having a war (the one they said there was no chance of occuring) by secret security guarantees from NATO.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 7, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alchenar posted:

The thing I immediately notice there - that is not good ambush terrain if the opposing force has even a shred of security.
How far can a Javelin shoot?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

So how much stuff can 7 fuel trucks resupply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Panzeh posted:

If the Russians actually wanted a 'neutral' Ukraine, it would probably behoove them to keep the parts most likely to vote for neutrality in the Ukranian state rather than just kinda hope it happens via fiat, but hey, who am I?

They went for a slightly different approach, shelling the most Russian town in Ukraine every couple of hours.

Tamba posted:

Speaking of plague pathogens...how was the Covid situation in Ukraine before the war?

Not good. They got shafted on vaccines availability much like everyone else outside NA, EU, and half a dozen other countries.