Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there a way to strip a certain string from URLs? sometimes my work email doesn't let me access certain, valid work locations because it doesn't recognize the domain, so it attaches
code:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__/
to the front. to get it to work I have to copy and paste the link, and then remove it manually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Urldefense.com is a blight, up there with [EXTERNAL] [EXTERNAL] [EXTERNAL] [EXTERNAL] [EXTERNAL].

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

actionjackson posted:

is there a way to strip a certain string from URLs? sometimes my work email doesn't let me access certain, valid work locations because it doesn't recognize the domain, so it attaches
code:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__/
to the front. to get it to work I have to copy and paste the link, and then remove it manually

Try this *monkey userscript?
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/370077-proofpoint-urldefence-link-revealer/code

(If you are wondering which *monkey to use, I prefer violent.)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Klyith posted:

Try this *monkey userscript?
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/370077-proofpoint-urldefence-link-revealer/code

(If you are wondering which *monkey to use, I prefer violent.)

thanks, it's not working though. same with the alternate code. it looks like this one filters out variations of "g" whereas I have "v3" ? I don't know javascript though

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 7, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

actionjackson posted:

thanks, it's not working though. same with the alternate code. it looks like this one filters out variations of "g" whereas I have "v3" ? I don't know javascript though

Welp. I know enough JS that I might be able to fix it, but don't what the current obfuscation scheme is, or ability to test anything.

IMO just start forwarding emails that have blocks on known, easily-valid-for-work domains to your IT department with "please whitelist" in the subject line.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Redirector add-on isn't too bad to set up imo. Works with basic wildcards or full on regex.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

The Redirector add-on isn't too bad to set up imo. Works with basic wildcards or full on regex.

hmm I tried this but it's not working

Redirect:

code:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__*
to:

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 7, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

actionjackson posted:

can I do
code:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__/*
to just * ?

I think the exact syntax will work out to exactly that first thing to $1 instead of *, but yeah, well within what the thing can do.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

edit: ignore below attachment, changing to -> * to -> $1 worked, thanks! why $1?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

actionjackson posted:

edit: ignore below attachment, changing to -> * to -> $1 worked, thanks! why $1?
It's like that in regex, which is probably what it uses internally in either mode. Idk the history. But it calls back to what matched the first wildcard. In case you use more than one. What matched the second wildcard would be represented by $2 etc.

That's the idea anyway. I don't know if that actually works in the basic wildcard mode.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's like that in regex, which is probably what it uses internally in either mode. Idk the history. But it calls back to what matched the first wildcard. In case you use more than one. What matched the second wildcard would be represented by $2 etc.

That's the idea anyway. I don't know if that actually works in the basic wildcard mode.

This sounds right. I forget which regex engine uses $# indexing for captured submatches, but I remember seeing the examples.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I hate every single thing I read about the new download flow for 98.
Given the pattern of all the previous terrible changes being tacked on poo poo, is there a single about:config thing I can flip to (pre-emptively) undo it?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Geemer posted:

I hate every single thing I read about the new download flow for 98.
Given the pattern of all the previous terrible changes being tacked on poo poo, is there a single about :config thing I can flip to (pre-emptively) undo it?

No, it's spread across several parts. You can remove one of the most annoying elements by setting browser.download.alwaysOpenPanel to false so it doesn't always show the download panel when something's finished

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

gently caress. :negative:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
New download behavior is dumb, couldn't tell you how many times I've miss-clicked something and was like NO!, I just want to expand that image, but I get a download prompt instead for it... So canceled, denied, FU. Mostly the lovely web and the over-reliance on shoddy obfuscated javascript is the blame here but that's a rant for another time. (God I wish webpages were like PDFs, but na, advertiser-friendly data-mining utopia is the future...)

Now let's see what else is changed in this new 98 release.

- Your "download" workflow is now all hosed up.
- We may have removed one of your default search engines, sucks to be you if we did. LOL

Ah, so just anti-user stuff, removing existing selections. Cool. At least my CSS didn't gently caress up this time.

3% market share Mozilla... 3%.

I do like that downloads are no longer put into the "system's" temp folder though.

And as always those "patch notes" are terrible ya gotta wait for ( https://cat-in-136.github.io/ ) or a similar clone site that compares and highlights new or removed about :config names/values between two Firefox versions to know what actually changed. (but that's nerd poo poo)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Between this and the Chrome thread, I've come to the conclusion that in the Browser Wars, we're the losers.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Kheldarn posted:

Between this and the Chrome thread, I've come to the conclusion that in the Browser Wars, we're the losers.

Whoever wins, we lose.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
browser.download.alwaysOpenPanel to false in about :config.

You're welcome.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Another triumph from Mozilla. Sure, make some changes but is a proper settings menu for basic poo poo like download behaviour too much to ask for?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ I'm guessing there were meetings where phrases like "streamlining the user experience" were tossed around with 100% sincerity.

Im_Special posted:

- We may have removed one of your default search engines, sucks to be you if we did. LOL

I have google.com.au as one of my search engines when I'm just looking for local stuff. It sucks and still shows way too many US hits but at least it was something.

Was.

EDIT: Aaaaaand it's back. Okay then.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 9, 2022

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Can't say that this feels great.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Im_Special posted:

browser.download.alwaysOpenPanel to false in about :config.

You're welcome.

browser.download.improvements_to_download_panel looks like it might be relevant as well

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/manage-downloads-preferences-using-downloads-menu

Great logic! brb going to turn off Windows UAC.

usually intentional... usually.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

unfortunately that proofpoint thing I did isn't working with other domains, like zoom, not sure why

edit: what is happening is some of the links, besides adding that url defense at the start, are also having a long string starting with __;!! appended to the end. how do I get rid of both?

because now that $1 includes that crap at the end

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 9, 2022

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

usually intentional... usually.

Especially after there were generations of security controls that prevented users from accepting the download dialog right away.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been trying to use more Firefox to stick it to chrome, but is there any way to get it to prioritize URls I've typed in before? Sometimes it seems to subbornly refuse to suggest URLs I've just been to.

Let's say I type in "amazon.com", hit enter. Then create a new tab, type "amaz" and it still won't auto-fill it. I think Opera and/or Vivaldi would remember that because it's pretty clearly something I want to go to.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been trying to use more Firefox to stick it to chrome, but is there any way to get it to prioritize URls I've typed in before? Sometimes it seems to subbornly refuse to suggest URLs I've just been to.

Let's say I type in "amazon.com", hit enter. Then create a new tab, type "amaz" and it still won't auto-fill it. I think Opera and/or Vivaldi would remember that because it's pretty clearly something I want to go to.

I haven't had this problem with FF though it is actually one of my biggest pain points with Chrome which I use for work. It seems to just selectively ignore 80% of my history as candidates for address bar autocomplete. I had to install a whole extension that indexes the history and lets me query it like the address bar should just do.

Anyways, there has been weird stuff done to Firefox's bar that I always turn off. See if setting any of the following to FALSE in about :config helps it behave better:

browser.search.suggest.enabled
browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete
browser.urlbar.suggest.searches
browser.urlbar.suggest.topsites
browser.urlbar.suggest.quicksuggest.sponsored
browser.urlbar.suggest.quicksuggest.nonsponsored
browser.urlbar.suggest.engines
browser.urlbar.groupLabels.enabled

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

I think Firefox prioritizes your URL history based on how often you visit a site rather than how recently you visited it. After using Firefox for a while it should start learning your sites. If you type in "amaz" does it just not suggest anything or is it suggesting things other than amazon.com?

You've probably already found this but you can also control what it pulls from in Settings. I think a lot of the are just the user-friendly toggles for the above about :config settings.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
These are some good things one should tweak new in 98, ie. disable all that junk (WTF).

https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates/blob/master/README.md#usermessaging

Windows GPO's
policies.json
about :configs

Pick your poison on how you do so.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Firefox now also saves .torrent and .m3u files when you open them, no matter what you have your preferences set as.

Went looking on r/Firefox and it's not just me. It's just what Firefox does now with just about anything it opens.

"Always open with..." now means "Always open with...and download it too!"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone have thoughts on my question above? I also emailed the person who made redirector

i.e. the initial filter is working, but it resolves to

(website I want) (__;!!*), the appended part always starts with those characters - so if I could strip out __;!!* I would be all set

edit: I think I got it! I just had to give an example expression with both patterns, it seems to work now

what's weird is that it's not working on another redirect, even though the url it points too is correct. this might be because the email has an "external organization security risk" thing, so I guess I'll have to contact my employer lol

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 10, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Firefox now also saves .torrent and .m3u files when you open them, no matter what you have your preferences set as.

Went looking on r/Firefox and it's not just me. It's just what Firefox does now with just about anything it opens.

"Always open with..." now means "Always open with...and download it too!"

It always downloaded files. They went to the Temp folder, and that's how the app that opened with had a thing to open. After that, FF would delete the file if it could, but if the app was still open and had a lock on the file when you closed firefox they'd be left in Temp forever.

This was good for a few reasons: it mostly did what you expected and looked like an invisible handoff from firefox to the app. But it was also bad: it's indeterminate behavior, and the Temp folder is obscure to most users. If it was a file that a user actually wanted to keep, it was unsearchable and would evaporate. And it would also build up a lot of junk data over time in Temp from files that didn't get deleted.

Win 10 & 11 have a feature to automatically delete stuff out of the downloads folder if the file hasn't been opened in N days. If you use Open With a lot and don't like these files being saved, you can turn on Storage Sense for that.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Does anyone use a "policies.json" for their "Windows" Firefox?

I have two PC's both setup with them, they WERE working, now their not, both PC's, just randomly stopped working, I find this strange.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Disregard, turns out I updated this thing 3 days ago but missed a comma, broke like half the thing from it. drat commas. :bahgawd:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

There was an update today

quote:

Yandex and Mail.ru have been removed as optional search providers in the drop-down search menu in Firefox.

If you previously installed a customized version of Firefox with Yandex or Mail.ru, offered through partner distribution channels, this release removes those customizations, including add-ons and default bookmarks. Where applicable, your browser will revert back to default settings, as offered by Mozilla. All other releases of Firefox remain unaffected by the change.

Lol

Lmao

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Goddamn, what lovely, petty thing to do.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Stupid performative bullshit.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
A good way to boost those Firefox download numbers, that lucky someone over at Mozilla must be feeling pretty good with his new found raise today. Congrats Mozilla dude!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

quote:

In 2019, Yandex agreed to a restructuring that gave a “golden share” to a newly formed Public Interest Foundation built to “defend the country’s interests,” the Guardian reported. In September last year, Yandex was embroiled in a dispute with the government during the lead up to the State Duma elections. The Russian federation put Yandex in an uncomfortable headlock when it successfully argued that it was the “owner of the exclusive rights” to the search term ‘Smart Voting.’ The term was part of an effort by the Russian opposition that formed around the once-poisoned and now jailed Alexei Navalny to challenge the inevitable election result in favor of President Putin’s incumbent party.

quote:

Russian tech giant Yandex has started warning Russian users looking for news about Ukraine on its search engine of unreliable information on the internet, after Moscow threatened Russian media over what they publish.

“Some material on the internet may contain inaccurate information. Please be attentive,” read a message under the Yandex search bar when looking for the latest news about Ukraine. The message was only displayed to users searching in Russian.

Nah. gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hmmm, Picture in Picture no longer seems to be working for me on Twitch? I click the button and the video doesn't pop out.

I hit Ctrl+Shift+] and it doesn't pop out either.

Still working just fine on YouTube though :thunk: