Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm late on the Seluvis talk but I never got around to doing his potion quest and ended up finding him dead outside Ranni's tower next to berserked Blaidd.

Interesting that there's some variation to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ve spent like 80 hours in this game and I still have areas to clear / maps to find. The game is beyond big. It’s loving absurd.

Oh man what if they release DLC with every more areas or an entire new continent.

Seriously. Everytime I go to a new underground area I think it's going to be a small, straightforward, throwaway area but then I spend 3 hours running around a cave system

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jaytan posted:

For spell caster people: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1YIfyENcg8mzkbyQqmy3K1OEg36UdaW9WNYq2TT31590/htmlview#gid=0 has a list of spells in the game along with scaling info. It also grades most of the spells and I generally think the ratings are good. I like azur comet even without drinking a flask to eliminate fp consumption.

I like this document in general too but yeah I can't believe someone who would do this much analysis would call comet azur bad

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Vermain posted:

are you trying this with the iron whetblade? i haven't tested it, but it should let you change the scaling to heavy

other than that, the only really strong STR-scaling ones are the various greatbows and the misbegotten shortbow, which is dropped by the flying demihuman archers

I do have the iron whetblade and I've moved basically every other weapon to heavy scaling, but I didn't see the option on the longbow. Maybe I'm just dumb. I might try to farm that shortbow off the archers though. That sounds intriguing, and I'd like something that can run on normal arrows, just for the ease of getting them.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Tensokuu posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but what is everyone's favorite summon to use?

The mimic tear is insanely good. Costs HP to summon rather than FP so you don't need to invest any points into Mind. Uses whatever you have equipped, including consumables like pots and perfumes. At +10 it is absurdly tanky. Mine soloed the Lake of Rot boss while I hid safely behind a pillar.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

So about Seluvis.

Pretty sure he is a puppet. Off the side of the cliff near his tower you can drop onto a roof on caria manor that takes you to a balcony where you can meet an Albinuriac named Pidia who has some puppets around him. From what I remember his opening dialogue implies that he made them, and he can sell you some random stuff. After you do the Ranni questline to the point where she disappears and seluvis body goes limp in his tower if you go back to this Pidia dude as you're descending towards his room you hear him screaming because he's being attacked by his puppets, asking why they would do this to him, etc. By the time you get there he's dead, surrounded by puppets and you get a puppet ash off his corpse. I got an archer and in the description it says that ash in particular was one of Seluvis' favorites. You apparently can get Nepheli's puppet ash from his corpse instead if you had given her the potion

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
So update I managed to beat Radhan And the solution was pretty straightforward.
Rather than doing all that overcomplicated stuff like plinking him with a bow for 30 minutes, or using the Dragon Rot incantation, I just beat 80% of his brains in with the TreeSpear and let the Brady Bunch finish him off.
Took only 3 tries too.
Just.... ran at the guy, and whacked him really hard. Sometimes his whirlwind attacks clipped me for 90% of my health, sometime they didn't. I only used an electrify weapon incantation, no fancy buffs or anything.
Just ....whacked him.

I'm level 66 , but a lot of that is into Faith.
Maybe I got lucky..... but now that I did it this way I guess he is more of a Bloodborne boss ? Where if you try to play cautiously you auto-lose cause he has inherently unfair attacks, and the correct answer is "hit him so he doesn't attack".

What a peculiar boss encounter.....

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I wonder if I’m the only person who uses starlight instead of a torch

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why waste the spell slot?

I'm up to 7 and I guess I could throw it in, but I like my Swift / Pebble / Greater, then I've got Rock Sling, Loretta's Bow, Gravity Well, and now Counterspell but I haven't used that yet as I'm not encountering many dudes with magic, recently.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
trip report; why do these prawns have super poo lasers

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ghosthotel posted:

So about Seluvis.

Pretty sure he is a puppet. Off the side of the cliff near his tower you can drop onto a roof on caria manor that takes you to a balcony where you can meet an Albinuriac named Pidia who has some puppets around him. From what I remember his opening dialogue implies that he made them, and he can sell you some random stuff. After you do the Ranni questline to the point where she disappears and seluvis body goes limp in his tower if you go back to this Pidia dude as you're descending towards his room you hear him screaming because he's being attacked by his puppets, asking why they would do this to him, etc. By the time you get there he's dead, surrounded by puppets and you get a puppet ash off his corpse. I got an archer and in the description it says that ash in particular was one of Seluvis' favorites. You apparently can get Nepheli's puppet ash from his corpse instead if you had given her the potion

Hmm that kinda makes sense since when he "dies" his body goes limp in the same position as some of the puppets in his dungeon, on his knees looking up

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Gamerofthegame posted:

trip report; why do these prawns have super poo lasers

Cause people got bored of fighting the Crabs in Dark Souls 3.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SequelEscalation

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Whoever decided to do the sewers level under the capital should probably reconsider some things. The most boring area in any souls game so far, they didn't even bother trying to make it aesthetically interesting even.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
General feeling on the game as I enter the final stretch:

It’s good but has serious flaws. Damage scaling and player survivability are really poorly tuned. The fact that, for the most part, survivability is entirely tuned to “more Vigor” is pretty boring. Boss design is some of the laziest it’s ever been. Margit was probably the highlight of the game because you can tell it’s designed to be an elaborate dance that one person can reasonably complete by learning it. Many fights are clearly built around the presumption of the use of ash summons and that sort of internal mechanical arms race just creates unsatisfying fights. The mid to late game is all blowing enemies in half with grotesquely overpowered weapon arts and to a lesser degree spells. Eh. It’s still fun but the fundamentals of combat have been getting worse in every game since Dark Souls 2, Sekiro excepted.

Still having a ton of fun but this is no perfect game by any means. I don’t care for the added emphasis on levelling over combat fundamentals. Feels like I’m playing a Dragon Quest game sometimes.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

:goofy:

I like DS2 but saying that ER has the "laziest boss designs" is an impressive stretch compared to armor-robots the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

So about Seluvis.

what the gently caress

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Video Nasty posted:

There is this complete rear end in a top hat archer up on a ridge in Caelid that can fire a purple arrow up into the sky and it rains down a bunch of soul-arrows. Is there any spell or move that I can do like that later in the game? It looks cool as hell.

Ah cool it was called Founding Rain of Stars and it's in the later game. Looks cool and does some decent damage if the enemies stay in range.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

It’s good but has serious flaws. Damage scaling and player survivability are really poorly tuned. The fact that, for the most part, survivability is entirely tuned to “more Vigor” is pretty boring. Boss design is some of the laziest it’s ever been. Margit was probably the highlight of the game because you can tell it’s designed to be an elaborate dance that one person can reasonably complete by learning it. Many fights are clearly built around the presumption of the use of ash summons and that sort of internal mechanical arms race just creates unsatisfying fights. The mid to late game is all blowing enemies in half with grotesquely overpowered weapon arts and to a lesser degree spells. Eh. It’s still fun but the fundamentals of combat have been getting worse in every game since Dark Souls 2, Sekiro excepted.

Still having a ton of fun but this is no perfect game by any means. I don’t care for the added emphasis on levelling over combat fundamentals. Feels like I’m playing a Dragon Quest game sometimes.

syq

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So are Greatbows worth using in a Strength build? Was thinking of giving Radahn's one a try, unless the Golem one is preferable Can I expect >500 damage a shot lategame?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Also the secret region is like, Lost Izalith levels of unfinished and lazy. Lets just copy paste some random poo poo from early game in nonsensical places we ain’t got time for new art assets boy ship ittttt.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Zeron posted:

Whoever decided to do the sewers level under the capital should probably reconsider some things. The most boring area in any souls game so far, they didn't even bother trying to make it aesthetically interesting even.

I can tell you haven't gotten far enough in it to find what is probably the most interestingly-designed level in the entire game.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Founding rain of stars is pretty unusable for the player by the time you get it in my experience, it's unsafe, inefficient, and whiffs a lot because all the bosses at that point constantly jump around or run away. But it is fun to throw in your list and have your mimic use, the stakes are much lower when he's casting it and sometimes it will happen to chunk a quarter of a boss's HP

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I never tire of the use of "lazy" to describe aspects of this game which is quite easily the biggest landmark in gaming since about RE4

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

:goofy:

I like DS2 but saying that ER has the "laziest boss designs" is an impressive stretch compared to armor-robots the game.

Oh to be clear I’m talking about their movesets not their appearance.

Elden Ring has exactly one trick it’s very excited to show you and that trick is “hold the windup of an attack for a long time, sometimes variable amounts of time, to bait a premature dodge”.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The last 20% of the game is definitely worse than the first 80%, but the first 80% of the game is extraordinary.

I really didn't like Farum Azula but haligtree made up for it, it's awesome.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

codo27 posted:

I never tire of the use of "lazy" to describe aspects of this game which is quite easily the biggest landmark in gaming since about RE4

It’s unfortunately very common for games of this scope to completely run out of steam in the back half because the front half is what most players and reviewers are going to primarily see. Most people don’t finish games.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Dandywalken posted:

So are Greatbows worth using in a Strength build? Was thinking of giving Radahn's one a try, unless the Golem one is preferable Can I expect >500 damage a shot lategame?

i carry radahns to swap to whenever im in an area where i can send dudes flying off a ledge with it but otherwise ive been using the longbow as my ranged weapon all game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Elden Ring has exactly one trick it’s very excited to show you and that trick is “hold the windup of an attack for a long time, sometimes variable amounts of time, to bait a premature dodge”.

please don't forget my good mechanical friend mr. ground slams with unclear AoE hitboxes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is there really anyone who has variable timing for the same attack string? I've seen it said but I can't think of a single example. There are enemies who will do different attacks depending on your position (like morgot using his blades when you're directly in front of him) but straight up timing differences I'm not aware of.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Cobalt60 posted:

Tacking this on to the previous posts because this is the first time in the game that the "vast open world" has also seemed a bit ... too undirected?

I definitely get what you mean. and I'm pretty sure it's because pretty much every other open-world RPG has a large roster of characters commenting and directing you while here they're so few and far between -- and, also important here I think, their dialogue also has a very indirect and ethereal quality about it so even when they're giving you actual quests they still just kinda seem like somebody wistfully talking about something maybe somebody should do rather than a direct quest like in other games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sure can't agree with any of this.

E: Well, the scaling stuff isn't great. But yeah no this has some of the best bosses in the series and even the copy paste bosses are by and large great.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 7, 2022

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
So I beat the game but I didn't continue to NG+ because I wanted to explore some side areas I missed like the Haligtree level everyone is raving about.

My run was Strength Tank with either Pizza Cutter or a Greatsword. I'm thinking of switching it up for my victory lap. I never tried powerstancing two weapons, are there some fun combos I can do with 40 Str/30 Dex or so? Any unusual recommendations that would feel very different than slamming fools with great swords?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Harrow posted:

what the gently caress

yeah lol

It does call into into question what the deal is with Seluvis' creepy sex dungeon. Sellen knows about him so it seems like he was a real person at some point that got turned into a puppet by Pidia. What I'm swirling around in my head is why the puppets turn on Pidia once Ranni disappears. My best guess is she knew about Pidia being a loving weirdo and only tolerated him up until the point that you get her what she needs, and has him murdered out of disgust, OR the other theory I have is that he's simply a liability that might know too much about Ranni's puppet body so she has him killed.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Also the secret region is like, Lost Izalith levels of unfinished and lazy. Lets just copy paste some random poo poo from early game in nonsensical places we ain’t got time for new art assets boy ship ittttt.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I can't sign on to this one, the laziest stuff was actually weirdly on the critical path looking squarely at you, the entirety of crumbling farum azula except the boss whereas the secret region legacy dungeon, though reusing a lot of enemies, at least had a lot of design effort put in to the environment and making the encounters as annoying as possible

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lunch break for some Elden.

I’ve found yet another new zone to explore. This one is all poison. gently caress you, game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I can't sign on to this one, the laziest stuff was actually weirdly on the critical path looking squarely at you, the entirety of crumbling farum azula except the boss whereas the secret region legacy dungeon, though reusing a lot of enemies, at least had a lot of design effort put in to the environment and making the encounters as annoying as possible

To be clear, I mostly mean Consecrated Snowfield. The actual Legacy Dungeon of Haligtree is pretty good but Consecrated Snowfield is a complete hack job. Lmao at copy pasting Astel in a random mineshaft.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

No Wave posted:

Is there really anyone who has variable timing for the same attack string? I've seen it said but I can't think of a single example. There are enemies who will do different attacks depending on your position (like morgot using his blades when you're directly in front of him) but straight up timing differences I'm not aware of.

Those misbegotten with the big axes will delay their swings if you're dodging.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Dandywalken posted:

I tried it but the setup took too long compared to regular now that was doing 200 dmg. It's nice to snipe an annoying enemy off a roof or for long range down town shot. It also got kinda expensive because I don't have a way to craft giant arrows. The special attack doing the rain of arrows is neat but generally not as useful as just shooting an arrow to the face.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

All of Soulsborne series bosses have one trick: hit you with a projectile or a melee attack. There's only so many variables to play with.

Vermain posted:

i feel like player survivability scaling would be less of an issue if there was both more armor options available early (seriously, the fact that the knight set is the best non-farmed armor set for a good 60-70% of the game is insane) and if level bands were more clearly signposted

as it stands, it's hard to tell if the reason you're getting flattened is because you're in The Hard Zone or because the game's balance expects you to be 30 levels higher than you are right now

It's really not hard to tell because the answer is always the second one unless you're in the super late game. All the people whining about Radahn oneshotting them (except for the phase transition) are their own worst enemy.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i feel like player survivability scaling would be less of an issue if there was both more armor options available early (seriously, the fact that the knight set is the best non-farmed armor set for a good 60-70% of the game is insane) and if level bands were more clearly signposted

as it stands, it's hard to tell if the reason you're getting flattened is because you're in The Hard Zone or because the game's balance expects you to be 30 levels higher than you are right now