Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Last Chance posted:

I think I'm good with my apple tv not having a camera attached

which is fine, but you're not the target audience. my inlaws have for better or worse centred around using the alexas with screens for video chatting. they work great and they loving love them, including the mildly creepy drop-in feature, it's been great since my SIL just had her second kid.

i would much MUCH rather be able to use an apple device and facetime to hook into that ecosystem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Edit: R C P

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

tvOS also supports the Apple MDM stuff that iOS does so your wife’s work can use config profiles to configure them so they’re all the same.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mediaphage posted:

which is fine, but you're not the target audience. my inlaws have for better or worse centred around using the alexas with screens for video chatting. they work great and they loving love them, including the mildly creepy drop-in feature, it's been great since my SIL just had her second kid.

i would much MUCH rather be able to use an apple device and facetime to hook into that ecosystem

Yeah that’s true I just use my Apple TV to watch content on my TV, I’m not the target audience

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Yeah that’s true I just use my Apple TV to watch content on my TV, I’m not the target audience

stop being intentionally dense, you're presumably not the target audience for wanting to video chat with family on your tv

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Exclusive: Apple Studio Display with higher resolution than Pro Display XDR in development

quote:

Apple has given no sign that it is working on a new version of the Pro Display XDR, which was introduced in 2019. However, rumors suggest that there are new external displays from Apple under development. 9to5Mac has now heard from sources familiar with the matter that the company has been working on a new “Apple Studio Display” with higher resolution than the Pro Display XDR.

While it’s unclear whether the new Apple Studio Display is a replacement for the Pro Display XDR or a new option in the lineup with distinct features, people familiar with the matter told 9to5Mac that the new display has a 7K resolution.

By comparison, Pro Display XDR has a 32-inch 6K (6016 x 3384) panel with 218 pixels per inch. A higher resolution could mean that the new Apple Studio Display will have a higher pixel density of 245 PPI or that it will keep the same 218 PPI as the Pro Display XDR but on a larger 36-inch panel.

9to5Mac reported in July 2021 that Apple had been testing a new external display under the codename “J327” with a built-in A13 chip. It turns out that, according to our sources, the Apple Studio Display is the same J327 model – meaning that Apple has still been working on an external display with a dedicated Apple Silicon chip.

Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman recently reported that Apple plans to introduce multiple new Macs in 2022, plus a new external display that is half the price of the Pro Display XDR targeted at regular users. In the past, Apple had its “Cinema Display” lineup available in multiple sizes – so it wouldn’t be a surprise if the company once again offered two or more display options to its customers.

Plans for the launch of the new Apple Studio Display are unknown, but the company will hold a special event on March 8 where it is rumored to introduce new Macs.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

lol at a $2500 monitor being a non-pro offering

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

lol at a $2500 monitor being a non-pro offering

lol i had the same thought

really sort of depressing since i was hoping whatever this 'mac studio' is it would be mildly affordable

i guess i'll just get whatever m2 mini comes out, maybe

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

At this point with these rumors my next computer will be the cool colored airs, and then save for a studio Mac and their cheaper monitor. Then keep it for 10 years, and upgrade laptop in 5-7 years.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

mediaphage posted:

'peek' perf is such a weird tagline though

BASIC is BACK, baby! Apple Silicon can make it fly!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Return with us to those days when you spent days typing in AppleSoft BASIC programs from Softalk, where half the code was POKE statements that entered assembly language codes into a reserved portion of RAM and the other half was the actual game logic that called the asm routines when necessary to draw crap on the screen

(You can do this in Sheepsaver anyway, there's a Universal Binary out for it now)

In actual hardware rumors.. Luke Miani swears this monstrosity is what Apple will announce tomorrow:

The 'Mac Studio,' or as I like to call it the Cube Reborn.. supposedly will ship with either an M1 Pro or an unidentified chip even more powerful than the Max.. M2 Ultra maybe?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hey, nobody's gonna create an Event Thread?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What’s interesting is that the M1 chip works so well I kinda don’t feel like getting a faster one will be noticeable or more useful. Like compared to my i7, an M1 doing the same tasks is streets ahead

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why would your dumb cube render have the same footprint as the old mini?

If I were to guess it would be more like a double stacked Apple TV

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Why would your dumb cube render have the same footprint as the old mini?

It ain't mine, brah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXlTjndELbw&t=255s

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

In actual hardware rumors.. Luke Miani swears this monstrosity is what Apple will announce tomorrow:

The 'Mac Studio,' or as I like to call it the Cube Reborn.. supposedly will ship with either an M1 Pro or an unidentified chip even more powerful than the Max.. M2 Ultra maybe?

Given that the M1 Max is already easily cooled by the 16" chassis, why would they even need to increase the size of the Mini? It's already almost entirely empty space, right?

Would throwing in two M1 Max chips, doubling the power consumption, even require a bigger case than the current Mini?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Binary Badger posted:

Return with us to those days when you spent days typing in AppleSoft BASIC programs from Softalk, where half the code was POKE statements that entered assembly language codes into a reserved portion of RAM and the other half was the actual game logic that called the asm routines when necessary to draw crap on the screen

(You can do this in Sheepsaver anyway, there's a Universal Binary out for it now)

Show me the render of the exhaust vent Luke

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

retpocileh posted:

Given that the M1 Max is already easily cooled by the 16" chassis, why would they even need to increase the size of the Mini? It's already almost entirely empty space, right?

That empty space is (was?) for user upgradable ssd storage. It holds one by default but has the space and mounts for two.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lmao if the extra volume on this thing is for like a single bay of user-upgradeable storage

people would lose their minds

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

That empty space is (was?) for user upgradable ssd storage. It holds one by default but has the space and mounts for two.

Eh, I dunno, that sounds doubtful, Apple is the company that phased out third party SSDs in a lot of their machines by removing their proprietary NVMe slot (they switched like maybe 3 pins for which you can get an adaptor that switches them back, allowing you to use off-the-shelf NVMe drives in 2013-2015 rMBPs) and continues to only offer storage-as-installed-at-the-factory options.

Although them putting NVMe slots back into Macs might be more of a nod to the chip shortage, but I guess, hey, if the HDMI and SD slot came back, then maybe third party storage again?

Including the SSD on the logic board has been something of a nightmare for data recovery, as you have to give up the entire machine to data recovery vendors instead of just popping out a board and handing it over.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 7, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Show me the render of the exhaust vent Luke

you can see it peeking out from the bottom.

that is a chonky boi but i’d happily take it if it actually had some degree of expandability (not that i can afford one anyway)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Dude's got a spotty track record to say the least:
https://appletrack.com/author/lukemiani/

I expect a box of some sort...just not that box. Wild card: mini trash can (aka mug)! :v:
But chip wise the 2xM1 Pro/Max is probably it. That and 4x have been rumored forever now by Gurman I think (aka one of the actual leakers with a decent track record). Wonder if it's some multi chip setup or monstrous multi die MCM interposer thing or what.

Mister Facetious posted:

Was. The current (external) design was from the 2010 model, when optical drives were still a thing! You could get the optical and a 2.5" drive standard, or dual 2.5s for the "server" model. I think the older taller + smaller foot print one had a server variant too. With the 2018 one they revamped the guts to handle the thermals for 65W Intel CPUs, then I dunno, have no use for that with the M1.

So yeah the Mac mini is long overdue for a redesign...which has been rumored for a while, separate from whatever the hell this other machine is supposed to be.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I recall somebody saying in here that Luke would never be a Big Mac channel. Too niche. Lol. I called them out then and I call them out now.

We’ll see tomorrow, but stoked if these rumors are true.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I recall somebody saying in here that Luke would never be a Big Mac channel. Too niche. Lol. I called them out then and I call them out now.

We’ll see tomorrow, but stoked if these rumors are true.

I mean, you don’t have to be accurate or consistent to be a successful Apple pundit

That said, a “mini-pro” in-between device with similarities to the G4 Cube was speculated/leaked a while ago, back when a bunch of Mac product roadmap details allegedly leaked.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 7, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, you don’t have to be accurate or consistent to be a successful Apple pundit

That said, a “mini-pro” in-between device with similarities to the G4 Cube was speculated/leaked a while ago, back when a bunch of Mac product roadmap details allegedly leaked.

You’re right, but the quality of Luke’s videos has always been above average, and he has done a bunch of cool projects. And he brought up that this is coming from a current exclusive leak. Again, we’ll see tomorrow.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

LionArcher posted:

You’re right, but the quality of Luke’s videos has always been above average, and he has done a bunch of cool projects. And he brought up that this is coming from a current exclusive leak. Again, we’ll see tomorrow.

You seem so devoted to lionizing the producers of the most generic extruded youtube / podcast "content", it's weird man

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Reminds me of something, has iJustine ever given a bad review to anything? Seems a nice enough girl with the right personality for a channel, but everything I've ever seen does just seem like shilling for products rather than actual reviews.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Reminds me of something, has iJustine ever given a bad review to anything?

AT&T's paper billing practices.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, I knew there would be a story there so googled it. It even has a wiki article! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300-page_iPhone_bill

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao if the extra volume on this thing is for like a single bay of user-upgradeable storage

people would lose their minds

I mean, user upgradable anything on a Mac these days would be nice.

The only reason my 2008 Mac Pro is still working as my main computer is because I can easily swap out hard drives and RAM, and was able to put a USB 3.0 card into it.

Please just give me like 1 PCI slot please at a price that doesn't start at 6K.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is it possible to run two external monitors on a mid 2013 MacBook Air? Thunderbolt. If so, would there be a limit to the size/resolution of the monitors? Don't need anything too fancy-pants...this is for my wife's office job. Cursory online search comes back with three answers: yes, no and maybe.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

It ain't mine, brah

I meant the royal "your", not you specifically

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lincoln posted:

Is it possible to run two external monitors on a mid 2013 MacBook Air? Thunderbolt. If so, would there be a limit to the size/resolution of the monitors? Don't need anything too fancy-pants...this is for my wife's office job. Cursory online search comes back with three answers: yes, no and maybe.
It looks like the answer is yes but you'll need a Thunderbolt 2 dock that supports DisplayPort 1.2 properly and I don't know whether anyone actually still makes those any more. Another alternative would be to see if you can pick up some of Apple's older 27" Thunderbolt displays because you can definitely daisy chain those together into a single Thunderbolt port since quite a few people had that setup here at work at the time.

In theory you could also get a Thunderbolt 3 dock like the CalDigit USB-C Pro, the Apple Thunderbolt 3->2 adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable and potentially human centipede the TB3 dock into the MBA's TB2 port but I don't know whether that'd actually work. TB3 is somewhat backwards compatible with TB2 but I don't know whether the different versions handle video signals differently.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Ok Comboomer posted:

also something like an xMac has been on the tech nerd wishlist for decades now so it's exactly the sort of thing you could have pop up periodically as a pie in the sky rumor.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

MrBond posted:

also something like an xMac has been on the tech nerd wishlist for decades now so it's exactly the sort of thing you could have pop up periodically as a pie in the sky rumor.

the point of the xmac was that it was basically a pc that ran osx. buy a 3090rtx and slot it in. stick 4 hard drives in it. after market ram

'big mac mini' ain't it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

the point of the xmac was that it was basically a pc that ran osx. buy a 3090rtx and slot it in. stick 4 hard drives in it. after market ram

'big mac mini' ain't it

it won’t come in PowerMac G3 Bondi Blue, but I wish it did

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BobHoward posted:

You seem so devoted to lionizing the producers of the most generic extruded youtube / podcast "content", it's weird man

I think it's weirder to poo poo talk nerds who clearly have passion project channels that turn into careers. A lot of computer touchers in these forums have very boomer vibes going on about what is and isn't a career/good content. Same thing with book/tv/film criticism here. "Oh it's bad writing poorly made" usually is a criticism from somebody that doesn't know the first thing on how to make something.

Either way, hyped for the event tomorrow. If the rumors about the iMac pro being delayed till next year are true, I could see myself going mac mini studio/montior plus down the road.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I think it's weirder to poo poo talk nerds who clearly have passion project channels that turn into careers. A lot of computer touchers in these forums have very boomer vibes going on about what is and isn't a career/good content. Same thing with book/tv/film criticism here. "Oh it's bad writing poorly made" usually is a criticism from somebody that doesn't know the first thing on how to make something.

:jerkbag:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
zero cognitive lift channels like 95% of the Apple content on YouTube are the tech world equivalent of those content mill sites that pay a 23 year-old media intern $15k/year to crank out puff pieces on behalf of Disney about how they open-mouth wept during WandaVision, the most #feminist show of all time, and their fans are the same dudes that collect SUPREME poo poo and post itemized lists on Reddit of their “investments”

they’re the loving Huffington Post of tech journalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Reminds me of something, has iJustine ever given a bad review to anything? Seems a nice enough girl with the right personality for a channel, but everything I've ever seen does just seem like shilling for products rather than actual reviews.

In fairness, has she reviewed a product that actually sucked? A gadget has to be actually bad these days to not get a general recommendation, like that pixel slate mkbhd reviewed that had a stuttery af performance even with an i5