Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Redditors do love simping for pharma corps in the comments lol
Pharma is in a weird place because anti pharma sentiment has been intertwined with anti-vax sentiment. So people will feel the need to defend big pharma because yes your vaccine is safe and not a 5G mind control device, and it leaves less air for all the real business criticisms of their IP and price abuse and the general fact that they should not exist at all in a reasonable world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
In capitalism corporations are profit motivated sociopaths by design and mixing that with the fear of death leads to big pharma. How much contempt that particular dude should bear for being responsible for that whole system is debatable (it’s not zero, but you might be misdirecting a lot of your anger).

Boycotting the wedding and taking any empathy and concern that the pharma bro has for your family member as signs that they’re a hypocrite is very weird. And if you borrow the dress you’re just as big a hypocrite, benefiting from the same pharma profits.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

With that said I'm pretty sure Tesla as a company doesn't do manufacturer-subsidized financing so you'll never see a 0% loan, and none of that matters when this dipshit thinks that just because a loving car salesman told him he can afford it that means it must be true. Dude is probably headed to a dealership now to get a great deal on a $40k Altima because that salesman said it was a great deal too.

The one thing going in his favor is that Tesla doesn't deviate from MSRP. But there's no doubt he purchased every extended warranty they offered.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

In capitalism corporations are profit motivated sociopaths by design and mixing that with the fear of death leads to big pharma. How much contempt that particular dude should bear for being responsible for that whole system is debatable (it’s not zero, but you might be misdirecting a lot of your anger).

Boycotting the wedding and taking any empathy and concern that the pharma bro has for your family member as signs that they’re a hypocrite is very weird. And if you borrow the dress you’re just as big a hypocrite, benefiting from the same pharma profits.

I've worked in big pharma for years and for me it's much more gray than it used to be. Predatory pricing and general sociopathy at the executive level is a very real thing, but seeing people fight internally for lower pricing and drive themselves to make a better vaccine makes it difficult to drat all pharma people as a whole. Should big pharma be regulated? Yes. Is pharma as a system corrupt? Probably.

Is every pharma person a soulless rear end in a top hat? That's much more complicated.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I've worked in big pharma for years and for me it's much more gray than it used to be. Predatory pricing and general sociopathy at the executive level is a very real thing, but seeing people fight internally for lower pricing and drive themselves to make a better vaccine makes it difficult to drat all pharma people as a whole. Should big pharma be regulated? Yes. Is pharma as a system corrupt? Probably.

Is every pharma person a soulless rear end in a top hat? That's much more complicated.

This guy is specifically called out as an executive, though the OP doesn't seem like the most reliable narrator. It's not a stretch to say that the leaders of an organization that prevents people from getting medicine to stretch their profits are immoral.

That said, OP has no leg to stand on if she's taking gifts from them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This guy is specifically called out as an executive, though the OP doesn't seem like the most reliable narrator. It's not a stretch to say that the leaders of an organization that prevents people from getting medicine to stretch their profits are immoral.

I hate how you acquired that dress. Give it to me.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm not keen on OP, but I don't accept 'don't take things from rich arseholes' as a principle. It's a great thing to do, as long as you don't give them anything in return. The pity is we don't club together and take more.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would find it less hypocritical if the OP was taking it by force instead of receiving it as a gift.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for punishing my stepdaughter after she refused to remove the family framed photos she put all over my house?

Does it serve as a constant reminder of the fact that you broke this family up

I'll take "OP was the affair partner" for $200 Alex.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA for pursuing charges against the person who opened my personal packages and almost ruined my marriage?

quote:

I (29M) moved out of my apartment and bought a house with my wife (33F) a few minutes away 2 years ago.

A few months after moving, I got a message on FB messenger that I had some packages arriving there. The girl asked me to please fix it immediately as it was upsetting her boyfriend, he had opened one and saw women’s lingerie that happened to be her size and assumed it was hers. Not really my problem.

I asked her to drop them off at my house and she said she didn’t feel comfortable doing that and they’d be outside the apartment at a certain time so I could grab them and go.

I obviously was not okay with her leaving my belongings out like that (We live in Los Angeles, they’d be gone before you blink) and the time wasn’t ok because she refused to meet before 5pm claiming she was busy. After 5pm I have a schedule full of gym, picking up games, biking and dinner everyday so it makes more sense for her to just bring it to my house.

I mentioned that it seemed like she was trying to steal my stuff and she told me to learn how mail forward works and stopped replying me no matter how many messages I sent. This all happened last year in 2021.

I have an important package coming and must’ve forgot to update the address, so I try messaging again. She says its at the apartment and to buzz myself in (gatecode didnt change) and to please get it before her boyfriend sees it but again, I’m busy.

I ask my wife to go over and get it while on her lunch break and she says yes. She comes back angry, asking why I’m buying womens things that arent her size. I get upset thinking she opened my mail and is invading privacy, but my wife swears they were open already so I message the girl again.

She responds and says every package with my name they got has been opened because Her boyfriend didn’t believe they werent for her until he saw the clothes or some BS.

I did NOT cheat on my wife. I just bought a few clothing items for some friends I’ve made online to help them out. All of the items were there and hadn’t been worn/used or touched I dont think.

I’m looking into pressing charges because it took far too long for them to get my packages to me and its illegal to open someone elses mail in the first place. My wife is saying that I would be a major rear end in a top hat but I think its fair after all the stress they caused. WIBTA?

It's revealed in the comments he spent 4k in lingerie. I hope it's the good poo poo like agent provacteur and the like, those camgirls deserve nice poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for pursuing charges against the person who opened my personal packages and almost ruined my marriage?

It's revealed in the comments he spent 4k in lingerie. I hope it's the good poo poo like agent provacteur and the like, those camgirls deserve nice poo poo.

If she's still his wife after this then she's gonna have a bad time.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

I'll take "OP was the affair partner" for $200 Alex.

Comments reveal that they only met after the divorce but the relationship moved pretty fast. Lol at being called a motherfucker. Own that. This is an issue the mother should be spearheading since she’s the one who threw OP and daughter together.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

refused to meet before 5pm claiming she was busy. After 5pm I have a schedule full of gym, picking up games, biking and dinner everyday so it makes more sense for her to just bring it to my house.
LOL, the reddit fake posters should spend more time making believable characters instead of contrived scenarios.

Here's one too boring to be fake:
Wife unable to take any action to fix marriage

quote:

My wife (32F) and I (31M) have been married for 4 years. We had our times or happy and conflicts during the marriage.

However, we have been having very high number of conflicts which we are unable to resolve because of her unwillingness to have a proper communication.

Following are my issues:

I can never have a calm and fruitful communication to her about out issues. Every discussion turns into her thinking I’m pointing fingers and her getting angry. I’ve tried all possible ways of neutral communication suggested out there, she just refuses to engage.

She never takes any step forward herself to fix things after an argument. Even if I was insulted, she will never ever ever come forward to fix things, how much ever bad she has felt. This passivity means, ultimately it’s me who has to come forward and fix things, every single time. This has added lot of frustration to my life and I feel demotivated as it feels like I’m the only one to keep this marriage intact.

She refuses to come to therapist to speak about our communication issues.

What should be my course of action here? I know some of you may suggest separation, but it feels like I’m too attached to her to leave her and not sure if I’ll be able to survive (will end up reminiscing about good memories).

Is it worth living in marriage with this frustration of only being the one keeping it intact? Any other suggestions you may have for me?

TL;DR - Frustrated as wife never proactively (or reactively) takes any steps to fix communication issues.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

Comments reveal that they only met after the divorce but the relationship moved pretty fast. Lol at being called a motherfucker. Own that. This is an issue the mother should be spearheading since she’s the one who threw OP and daughter together.

Well that's a surprise, everything screamed "affair" in that story.

I really want to see the bf in this story get in front of a judge and explain why he can't stop opening someone else's packages. "But I thought my gf was cheating on me!" will probably not fly in a mail tampering case but I would love to see him try.

Oh, and OP is obviously cheating on his wife or doing something else super sketchy. I'm sure its just slipped his mind to change the address lingere not meant for his wife gets delivered to. Totally understandable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You idiot.

You massive loving idiot.

Curious that this well off sober adult had apparently not done anything to make amends or apologize for his abuse now suddenly is eager to present a good face and offer money at the drop of the hat to the one person who shows any interest in talking to him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

LOL, the reddit fake posters should spend more time making believable characters instead of contrived scenarios.

Here's one too boring to be fake:

This is just sad.

quote:

Yes I’ve been going by myself. We tried different ways of communication. I eventually resorted to written communication of my thoughts so that I can proof read it multiple times to remove all nuances and possibility of blame before sending it to her. But she turned down any sort of communication. She says I have to accept her as is and she doesn’t want to be in a marriage of clauses or conditions. I validated my requirements and texts with my therapist and he says they are very fair requirements in a relationship and that my communication was straight to the point and crisp without any blaming. But my communication is such that it forces her to take some responsibility in the marriage which has been my whole point. And that she recognizes and thus turns down.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

"I reasonably assumed that packages delivered to my girlfriend's address belonged to her, and I have her permission to open her mail. Upon realizing the mistake the misdelivered packages were made available for the previous tenant to pick up, and here's all the text messages proving our communication attempts."

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
It's pretty hard to convict on mail tampering when the mail was addressed and delivered to the guy's place and he contacted the owner to pick it up. Generally opening up people's mail is a common enough occurrence it's not a crime.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

everything is used, lol. so he's trying to forcibly sell poo poo he cant otherwise get rid of

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

its_my_birthday posted:

everything is used, lol. so he's trying to forcibly sell poo poo he cant otherwise get rid of

that’s amazing it’s like something only a genius at being an idiot could come up with

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I hate leaping to the "she's cheating" cliche, cause I feel like it's over-used. But I mean she's clearly given up on the marriage and probably has something else going on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for applying gift tax on my [23M] friends?

:psyduck:

OP posted:

EDIT2: Okay you convinced me. It seems that I was really wrong about the Oprah and tax thing. I'm gonna tell them to keep the gifts then without paying me anything.

I'm gonna have to give my best friend an additional new gift though since I'm not gonna apply any tax anymore.

Thanks for your help and insight!

:psypop:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This story is fuckin stupid.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We had an idiot who didn't understand you need to update your address after moving. It's normal to still get spam mail and all the crap people don't really think to worry about, but we were also getting packages. Ok, maybe they were slow packages that they ordered before they moved? They kept coming. The idiots kept ordering poo poo to their old address. "oops sorry I forgot I needed to update my address in amazon!" "oops sorry I ordered some records and chrome had my old address saved". We kept getting important health and banking related poo poo too. We'd beg them to properly update their address with the post office and their banks and things. It finally stopped maybe 3 months in. Then like a year later we got some random package for them. Same poo poo, "oops sorry ordered from my wife's computer which still had our old address saved"

I can't fathom how people can be so... blind? Dumb? Thoughtless?

They never really apologized either. They'd only ever want to make sure we were keeping their packages safe and hoping we'd be home to receive them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
USPS also has a bunch of coupons you get when you set up (free!!) mail forwarding. If nothing else, do that!

Also, at least in New York, if you have a license or state ID you're supposed to report your new address to the DMV within a limited timeframe.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I can see him opening up a package without thinking since I've done that too, its when it happens a few times I start to think the dude should start looking at who its addressed to. I'm not looking to die on this hill, I just thought it was funny the bf's defense is "What was I going to do, NOT open someone else's mail?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also, at least in New York, if you have a license or state ID you're supposed to report your new address to the DMV within a limited timeframe.

I know that's pretty common, but I always wondered what happens if you just ignore it. Did the postmaster general order a precision strike on your new place?

I've just seen so many people being profoundly stupid about dealing with their personal info, I'd have to imagine there are just folks out there not changing their address left and right.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I once accidentally opened a letter for the previous resident. The letter actually said something to the effect of "We understand that this is no longer your current address. Please update your address so that we can contact you." I poo poo you not.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
dude was absolutely ordering to his old address on purpose thinking this would be a clever way to keep his wife from seeing the packages

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

limp_cheese posted:

I can see him opening up a package without thinking since I've done that too, its when it happens a few times I start to think the dude should start looking at who its addressed to. I'm not looking to die on this hill, I just thought it was funny the bf's defense is "What was I going to do, NOT open someone else's mail?"

According to her he has opened it intentionally because he wants to know if some guy is sending her stuff.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

pentyne posted:

I've never met a cat person who would think that leaving a housecat outdoors with a pile of food is at all a reasonable thing to do.

Leaving a housecat locked outside like that is pretty much animal abuse, especially if they've been declawed.

I'm not saying they isn't room for her to still be an AH, but it all depends on whether the cat is an outdoor cat or an indoor cat. Some cats are used to being out of doors and can handle it no problem.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Keeping cats indoors is better for both the cat and for all the small animals and birds in the region

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JosephSkunk posted:

I'm not saying they isn't room for her to still be an AH, but it all depends on whether the cat is an outdoor cat or an indoor cat. Some cats are used to being out of doors and can handle it no problem.

They mention it living indoors so I'm guessing it's not a cat that's used to living outside much. There's just no reason to chance it. I don't think most folks would even need to pay to board it, we always just put out extra cat amenities and found a friend who was happy to come over a couple times to change out that stuff. Cats are way easier to set up on their own for a bit than dogs.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
I moved to a new place in July and I keep getting a ton of mail for the previous resident. I wrote "Return to sender" on a few things and they somehow just looped back to me, so I started blocking out the address, writing "Return", and mailing it from a different state.

I also came home one day to one of those online food service boxes on my stoop full of fancy frozen nutritional shake stuff. It had sat there for 3+ days.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know that's pretty common, but I always wondered what happens if you just ignore it. Did the postmaster general order a precision strike on your new place?

I've just seen so many people being profoundly stupid about dealing with their personal info, I'd have to imagine there are just folks out there not changing their address left and right.

Only if you get pulled over and they run a check.

Back in 2002?ish, had a big envelope in our mail box for a previous person who stayed in our apartment. It was from the DoD and looked really serious. We opened it out of curiosity, and it was them sending a letter saying they are considering the person on the letter to be AWOL. Good on them for not getting sent to the meatgrinder, but I'm pretty sure they were in deep poo poo.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

They mention it living indoors so I'm guessing it's not a cat that's used to living outside much. There's just no reason to chance it. I don't think most folks would even need to pay to board it, we always just put out extra cat amenities and found a friend who was happy to come over a couple times to change out that stuff. Cats are way easier to set up on their own for a bit than dogs.

Yeah, they say "keep the cat indoors as usual," so outside of the whole inside/outside cat debate, this particular cat has minimal outside experience and is absolutely going to end up dead if left out for a week.

And the boyfriend isn't even demanding boarding - he'd be fine with an extra litter box and timed feeder. She's risking her cat and willfully imploding her relationship because she doesn't want to handle a one-time ~$80 expense that could be avoided anyways by asking a friend to pop over.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Dr Strangepants posted:

I moved to a new place in July and I keep getting a ton of mail for the previous resident. I wrote "Return to sender" on a few things and they somehow just looped back to me, so I started blocking out the address, writing "Return", and mailing it from a different state.

That kept happening to us but we discovered that you had to block out the barcode too. The last few times we moved, it was always within the same building, so they always got rerouted correctly. Not sure when barcodes were added mail in the US.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

StrangersInTheNight posted:

dude was absolutely ordering to his old address on purpose thinking this would be a clever way to keep his wife from seeing the packages

But then why send his wife to pick it up?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Not sure when barcodes were added mail in the US.

Back in the 90's early-mid 2'ks, Microsoft Word let you print barcodes on envelopes so that it could conceivably get sent faster. Then that feature seemed to disappear or I can't find it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

[39/f] My boyfriend (41/m) quit his job to become a professional wrestler. How can i get through to him that this is a bad idea?

quote:

We both work full time but we don't make a lot of money from our jobs. We do make above minimum wage and both our checks are necessary to pay the bills. He's also very obsessed with wrestling, He watches it multiple times a week and often goes to Indy shows around us. He also blows a lot of money of crap, like buying actual gear the wrestlers wore in the ring. We also have 2 kids (17 and 7)

HIs boss called the house today, he asked me if my boyfriend was ok and that he suddenly quit today. I told them i had no idea what's going on. He got home, i asked why he quit. He sat the family down and said he was pursuing a childhood dream, he was going to train to become a professional wrestler and was quitting to pursue that. I asked how we'd pay for that, he said we could get it out of the savings account. I asked about bills and he said we'll just have to cut back, maybe get cheaper plans on internet and cancel the netflix, oh and buy generic groceries.

I don't know what to do. He's in his 40's and isn't even much of an athlete, he's on the husky side, plus he's only 5'8'. I guess it wasn't enough to watch this crap every week, now he wants to be in the show. I tried telling him this and he brought up how many wrestlers got started when they were older and a lot of wrestlers have been overweight. I tried telling him to at least work part time, but he said it takes dedication and he's sick of working like a dog all day, "It's time i do something for myself."

I'm pretty sure he's having a midlife crisis. I don't know what to even do about this. How can i get through to him? That we can't afford him to go through with this and that he's not built for wrestling.

tl;dr: Boyfriend quit his job suddenly to pursue wrestling. He's not much of an athlete and we can't afford to do without his paycheck because of our kids and the bills. How can i get through to him?

lol