Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I was slamming the side of my chair like ROH fans did the barricades personally god that entrance ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
I'm not saying everyone needs to be some crazy historian that can rattle off obscure facts about George Hackenschmidt, but you would think having a larger frame of reference for one of the industry's biggest stars of the 2000s than just his WWE run should be required if you're getting paid to write and podcast about this stuff for the Observer.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I wasn't watching really at all during Punk's ROH run, and I definitely didn't see ROH when I was watching, but I was able to pick up what was happening when the lyrics started, and then he comes out in the old gear. It was also obviously a big deal by the presentation and reaction, like...I can't understand being that oblivious if you cover this for a living

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I just don’t know how you can be so incurious about something you ostensibly love

E: /\ Yeah that /\

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

LionYeti posted:

I was slamming the side of my chair like ROH fans did the barricades personally god that entrance ruled.

it was easily my favorite moment of the night but apparently it was actually objectively bad because a bunch of casuals didn't get it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is there any interview process to write for the Observer or is it just like Medium for wrestling

For recap stuff no.

For this it's because they are on Garrett's podcast which no one listens to.

Also:

https://twitter.com/CarmineSabia/status/1500628148676964359

Lots of good discourse today from some wild characters.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from
Carmine had a hand in running some of the early 2000s NJ/PA area indies and is now a right-wing grifter, so this is perfectly on par with the level of dumb poo poo he vomits up on Twitter

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

NRA in bio

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hard Rock Nick found a new niche

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The better the AEW show, the more insane the twitter takes become.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Edit: Beaten badly

https://twitter.com/CarmineSabia/status/1500628148676964359

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Redditors are extremely stupid

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I had never seen Punk's ROH entrance because I was out of wrestling from 2002 until AEW formed, but even I was able to put it together really quickly that this had to be a ROH thing. Then commentary said it was a ROH thing. So, you know.

And now I have been listening to AFI all this morning.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

Eat My Fuc posted:

Redditors are extremely stupid

"buy it or else it will get worse" has been wwe's strategy for the past two decades

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Elephant Ambush posted:

it was easily my favorite moment of the night but apparently it was actually objectively bad because a bunch of casuals didn't get it

I wonder if they thought Edge doing the Brood entrance last year was bad because newer fans didn't get it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Fart Radio posted:

"buy it and it will get worse" has been wwe's strategy for the past two decades

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

enigmahfc posted:

I had never seen Punk's ROH entrance because I was out of wrestling from 2002 until AEW formed, but even I was able to put it together really quickly that this had to be a ROH thing. Then commentary said it was a ROH thing. So, you know.

And now I have been listening to AFI all this morning.

And from all of this I've found out that Davey Havok's daughter is involved in pro-wrestling now & was trained at the Nightmare Factory apparently. Which...Davey Havok having a daughter old enough to be a trained wrestler makes me feel old.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

And from all of this I've found out that Davey Havok's daughter is involved in pro-wrestling now & was trained at the Nightmare Factory apparently. Which...Davey Havok having a daughter old enough to be a trained wrestler makes me feel old.

This is headcanon now. Alan Angels is dating the daughter of the guy that sang CM Punk's ROH theme.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

This doin numbers

https://twitter.com/xnormalxoxo/status/1500850326634733568?s=20&t=pV8BbQ73RqRFtoN-_I24ng

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
These people are just white noise now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

'No distinctive storylines'

Confirmed for having never loving watched AEW.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So brave

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

a true hero

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Vandar posted:

'No distinctive storylines'

Confirmed for having never loving watched AEW.

https://twitter.com/xnormalxoxo/status/1481110925889388548?t=qgZG9mX-g_2zjh4_gXE2Dg&s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't believe Cameron Grimes was giving her podcast bad reviews.

https://twitter.com/patcheschance/status/1500930023116652549?s=20&t=Z-ILnf8TQJFM-MGyqXVryA

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
https://twitter.com/sir_wilkins/status/1501005863296933892

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
"what will happen if aew runs out of pops and gives too much good wrestling to the fans" is still one of the wildest concepts i've ever seen stick around for this long

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

flatluigi posted:

"what will happen if aew runs out of pops and gives too much good wrestling to the fans" is still one of the wildest concepts i've ever seen stick around for this long

Sure you love your partner and they make you truly happy, but who's to say you won't get sick of that poo poo at some point?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The sheer amount of "AEW Has No Storylines" takes I see, even from people who like cover wrestling for a job/side hustle, is starting to make me realize maybe WWE doing recaps every 5 minutes is actually necessary

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

flatluigi posted:

I think some fans' brains have been broken by Vince constantly pissing on them for two straight decades they forget wrestling's entire purpose is to make you happy and pop as much as possible.

Drakkel posted:

The sheer amount of "AEW Has No Storylines" takes I see, even from people who like cover wrestling for a job/side hustle, is starting to make me realize maybe WWE doing recaps every 5 minutes is actually necessary

I read a post in CSPAM that thinks part of the reason political cartoons are now labeling everything is because people can't interpret the subtleties anymore like they could in the past, even rather straightforward ones.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/ABall1989/status/1500989393867317250?s=20&t=W-4_bNoAv0uzB15aQeGh5A

Buying tickets for a STAGE

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I tried listening to the f4w podcast John la Rocca is on once and he had the exact same views as cornette. I could not figure out why a site like f4w would host the exact kind of views Dave constantly talks about being the problem with most bookers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you can buy tickets twice! to look at it over two days!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I get it at least. Some people will pay money for the spectical. Disney World comes to mind

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the spectacle is basically all wrestlemania has these days which makes that early crowdless pandemic wrestlemania even more sad

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I get it, the spectacle is a thing.

One of my hopes for AEW is they make enough money that Tony starts having weird elaborate stage setups for his PPVs like WWE used to up to like 2011 or so.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

you need a speculum to look at the spectacle of WWE.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

To be honest after the last 2 years going to an arena where I know things will blow up and maybe I'll get brained with a flaming sign sounds pretty drat good. Maybe there's wrestling, maybe not, but there's something to experiencing the spectacle for it's own sake.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the problem is that if you paid to go see the last wrestlemania live, you missed the best part of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Credit where it's due, WWE does at least have a nice looking stage and lighting. It'd be nice if AEW could pull off something like that but it probably costs a shitload of money