Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is it actually Disney who owns Futurama now? But even then, always hold out for more money. They can afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's easier at this point to assume Disney owns anything

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is it actually Disney who owns Futurama now? But even then, always hold out for more money. They can afford it.

Via Fox, like the Simpsons

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the revival is being done by Hulu, which Disney owns most of.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

You Are A Elf posted:

Would have loved to have seen a Gilbert Gottfried Bender.

He was a delightful Mister Mxyzptlk on the Superman animated series.

Rewatching Lady Bouvier's Lover, this must be the record holder for the family watching TVs that aren't in the living room. They watch Krusty in Maggie's nursery and later Bart watches a shopping channel on a portable TV. Also I never caught the joke before that the packaging of the animation cel says "Do Not Roll" but it was shipped in a tube, adding to the gag of nobody involved in making that product caring.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, the obvious outcome the whole time. I know I'm in the minority on this but I'd have respected him more if he just flat out admitted "you won't do this show without me so I'm playing my hand for more money" rather than spinning the whole "mistreatment" crap.

Not being paid as much as you should be for your valued services is mistreatment. Especially in the context of working for one of the largest companies on Earth that can pay you more but will refuse to do so.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

WeaponX posted:

Not being paid as much as you should be for your valued services is mistreatment. Especially in the context of working for one of the largest companies on Earth that can pay you more but will refuse to do so.

For sure, for reminders of the Mouse's business practices:

quote:

Pink Slips at Disney. But First, Training Foreign Replacements.
ORLANDO, Fla. — The employees who kept the data systems humming in the vast Walt Disney fantasy fief did not suspect trouble when they were suddenly summoned to meetings with their boss.

While families rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and searched for Nemo on clamobiles in the theme parks, these workers monitored computers in industrial buildings nearby, making sure millions of Walt Disney World ticket sales, store purchases and hotel reservations went through without a hitch. Some were performing so well that they thought they had been called in for bonuses.

Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost.

“I just couldn’t believe they could fly people in to sit at our desks and take over our jobs exactly,” said one former worker, an American in his 40s who remains unemployed since his last day at Disney on Jan. 30. “It was so humiliating to train somebody else to take over your job. I still can’t grasp it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html

quote:

By Day, a Sunny Smile for Disney Visitors. By Night, an Uneasy Sleep in a Car.
ANAHEIM, Calif. — On Disneyland’s Main Street, Emily Bertola spends hours working on her feet, embroidering names onto mouse ears at the Mad Hatter shop, where she has been an employee for the last two years. She usually offers visitors the sunny smile she was trained to give.

None of her customers know that for months, she slept in the back of her truck, showering at the park before her shift.

Her struggle is hardly unique to Disneyland.

quote:

Disneyland Resort — which includes the theme park, California Adventure, and nearby hotels — employs roughly 30,000 people. It is the largest employer in Orange County and one of the biggest employers in the state.

Despite their frustration with pay, in interviews with more than a dozen workers, many said they choose to stay at Disneyland, attached because of their childhood memories or reluctance to lose the perk of sometimes getting free tickets for their own children. And for many hourly workers, there are few options to make more money elsewhere. More than half of all workers in amusement and recreation, as Disneyland workers are classified, make less than $15, according to census data. About 85 percent of the 17,000 Disneyland employees who are part of a union make less than $15 an hour, according to union rolls. The current minimum wage in California is $10.50, and will reach $15 by 2022. (article is from 2019)

The cost of living is a particular challenge in Orange County, where a single adult would need to make about $33,000 a year to meet a basic monthly budget, according to the California Budget & Policy Center, a Sacramento think tank. Roughly 38 percent of the county’s 1.5 million workers earn less than that. It is an issue that many low-wage workers are confronting across the state: California now has the highest rate of poverty in the country, 20.6 percent, when accounting for taxes, housing and medical costs, according to the Census Bureau.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/us/disneyland-employees-wages.html

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

How come Marge covers her self in the frontal but not the side?

Are her nips like reverse Mickey mouse ears/goku hair in that they vanish at certain angles? Also once again the tyranny of male nips are okay but not female ones.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

WeaponX posted:

You guys are aware that he was likely offered 6 figures per episode even before negotiations, right? MiStReAtMeNt my shiny metal rear end.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

You guys are aware that he was likely offered 6 figures per episode even before negotiations, right? MiStReAtMeNt my shiny metal rear end.

And did you know that it's Disney's money and it's a moral good to take as much of it as possible away from them

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

And did you know that it's Disney's money and it's a moral good to take as much of it as possible away from them

Again, I'm not criticizing him for playing his hand, I'm saying gently caress his whole "mistreatment" argument when the rest of the cast was fine with what they offered, and when a doctor's annual salary per episode to do a funny voice while being lavished with praise and admiration is not enough for you. Yes, Disney mistreats their employees, but like, the thousands of low level workers, not stars of their television shows.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Lol at tryna bring the class war discussion back to this thread while ignoring the fact that voice work is work and that every dollar they are granted by an impossibly wealthy yet miserly corporation had to be fought for over decades via unions and negotiations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Up until the point your boss no longer profits from your work, you are being underpaid.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Again, I'm not criticizing him for playing his hand, I'm saying gently caress his whole "mistreatment" argument when the rest of the cast was fine with what they offered, and when a doctor's annual salary per episode to do a funny voice while being lavished with praise and admiration is not enough for you. Yes, Disney mistreats their employees, but like, the thousands of low level workers, not stars of their television shows.

Take the L on this one

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
he has helped create a beloved character. isn't that payment enough? in fact, he's helped create more beloved characters than even the wealthiest dentists could have ever even dreamed of doing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For sure, for reminders of the Mouse's business practices:

I saw Pink Slips at Disney. and thought it was about the singer Pink at Disney World, having a clumsy moment.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Good for him.

A man's gotta eat.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Das Boo posted:

Up until the point your boss no longer profits from your work, you are being underpaid.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Empty Sandwich posted:

he has helped create a beloved character. isn't that payment enough? in fact, he's helped create more beloved characters than even the wealthiest dentists could have ever even dreamed of doing.

Why dentists could only dream of having that much exposure

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Do you have any idea how this works? It doesn’t matter if he literally says one line per episode and gets paid millions of dollars to do so- he was instrumental in popularizing a character that the company he works for and the fans of the product value. He wants to be paid a salary that is commiserate with the value he creates for the product that makes Disney lots of money. If he is going to be lowballed despite creating value for a Disney product, he is being mistreated. I never said he was starving.

Disney, like many similar companies, have to be forced to pay their employees more money. This is just as true for the minimum wage workers as it is for famous voice actors. The conflict isn’t between those groups- it’s between them and the corporation that refuses to share its massive profits with those who make it all possible. It is not up to DiMaggio to ensure Disney treats their employees fairly, but instead he is simply one of the few with the ability to make sure they pay voice talent fairly. The onus is on Disney to not be greedy, not DiMaggio

Bringing up that he gets paid more than a doctor is not making the point that you think it is....

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 4, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pay people what they are worth to you

Not what they require to survive

(unless the latter is greater than the former)

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

where are Marge's ears?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is this a trick question

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

I bet you have interesting opinions about professional athletes, too. :allears:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'm not sure if Dimaggio or any other non-Simpsons main cast va ever made anything close to over 100k per episode of any non-Simpsons show. I could be extra wrong.

if i am wrong i will gladly do voices i can do droopy dog

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The Chad Jihad posted:

Is this a trick question

no. did they get rid of the ears with the new smooth lifeless design? They were still there when they released the arcade game. Edit: And the playboy shoot which I believe is more recent.

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 5, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Is this a trick question

Marge is pseudo canonically an alien rabbit.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Can you imagine Matt Groening selling out like that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one had no couch gag which means they thought they had soooooooooooo much material.

For some reason Lisa gets invested in her parents being in a rut and only watching TV (Homer and Marge are happy having a non-romantic life.) The kids force them into a technology disconnected "togetherness" retreat.

On the way there they discover from the brochure that every event starts at sunrise. They crash the car trying to turn around and wind up in a freezing river. They make a fire out of Homer's defective phone with an exploding battery that he was too lazy to return and take off their freezing clothes. (the show goes the pixelation route with Homer's breasts pixelated too). They accidentally burn their clothes.

They find an abandoned 1970s marriage retreat and do a montage of making a survival shack out of all the tacky poo poo. They catch a fish and get attacked by a wolverine and kill it. They settle into a bit of domesticity and enjoy the tranquility and eventually follow the tracks of a park ranger's ATV back to civilization.

Ah, honestly, OK by modern Simpsons standards. The animation was noticeably much better than usual. Almost cracked a couple of smiles at the jokes.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

Das Boo posted:

Marge is pseudo canonically an alien rabbit.

Aren't we all?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/thesimpsons/status/1500642323843227650?s=21

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

drat that doesn't sound like milton at all

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
comments being 1/100 of likes is somehow worse than a ratio

also lol Martin is officially an incel now

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Vitruvian Manic posted:

no. did they get rid of the ears with the new smooth lifeless design? They were still there when they released the arcade game. Edit: And the playboy shoot which I believe is more recent.

Goddamn I forgot all about that

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Anti-psychiatry episode? Did they let Nancy Cartwright write this one?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's going to be real bleak when one of the core cast Julie Kavner croaks and Disney recasts them without blinking

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any of the replacements for the major VAs are gonna barely get a tenth of their salaries too. Look at how John DiMaggio had to fight to get paid what he's worth as Bender just recently.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Why am I picturing Martin with Joker face paint?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Martin has taken the most important drug of all: the red pill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Empty Sandwich posted:

Martin has taken the most important drug of all: the red pill.

"My spirits are ever so low, Bart. But my reddit karma has never been higher! Once I can exchange it for dogecoin..."