Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, Uaid got his Superman... moment. Only Ashley ain't gonna walk back the bitter-sweet self-sacrifice the way Brad Bird did. That first frame with Uaid's ruined hand curled protectively around Matty sure is some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, Uaid got his Superman... moment. Only Ashley ain't gonna walk back the bitter-sweet self-sacrifice the way Brad Bird did. That first frame with Uaid's ruined hand curled protectively around Matty sure is some poo poo.

it was barely even a Superman moment, Uaid just gulped down the juicer because it looked tasty

quigley saying “I need him” pretty much confirms his relationship with matty (and uaid to a lesser extent) is based on obligation rather than affection. he looked after those two as an excuse to go on breathing. I think he’s going to find that much more difficult with one dead “son” and another who hates his guts

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Well the good news for Quigley is that he's only got like maybe five more years tops himself!

I admit, I was surprised by the page today for a number of reasons.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

it was barely even a Superman moment, Uaid just gulped down the juicer because it looked tasty

I. Am not. A gut.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh Uaid. :(

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Kyte posted:

fwiw I don't think most people know about Quigley beyond "Quigley betrayed the state and stole a weapon in the process" and probably aren't even aware Matty exists.

Isn't there a famous play based on Quigley? At least the sanitized version of his story? Even if it can't be staged back home I'm sure the key notes are known.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Isn't there a famous play based on Quigley? At least the sanitized version of his story? Even if it can't be staged back home I'm sure the key notes are known.

Yeah, it's not very accurate but it's certainly famous based upon how people bring it up to Quigs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kinda marathoned this i one day and one insomnbiac night. Ooh boy, what a comic. Will it ever not get worse?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
going back through old strips

as it turned out, matty was wrong

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Going from binging a long-running webcomic tor eading updates slowly is always a tiny bit frustrating haha.

This is one of these stories where I always wanna know what happens next.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I feel like Bastion would be more interesting if I had a clearer idea of what the guy actually wanted. of course he’s driven by an extreme do-no-harm philosophy, wanting to “cure” death itself a la daniil dankovsky, but his doctoring is diluted by black tongue politics, general troublemaking, and his hangups over prakhuta. his involvement in Duane’s assassination was motivated by a healthy helping of “gently caress this guy personally,” since Duane was an enthusiastic hunter of black tongues, but that grudge hasn’t come through too strongly in the story itself. when Ilganyag tells him to cure the plague, is she reminding him of one of his own close-held goals, or mocking him with a goal far more “mundane” than abolishing death?

he’s just too diffuse for someone who’s ostensibly one of the protagonists. mostly comes off as yet another opportunity for Cope to draw a naked sexyman

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I never saw Bastion as one of the protagonists. He's a key actor, yes, in that his actions contribute to the reader's context, but an actor he remains. He initiated the story (creating Duane, putting Sette out on the road), but beyond that he's mostly been someone who elicits important dialogue from other characters (Prakhuta, Rham, Ilganyag, Ruck) that they would otherwise have no reason to share with the audience, and certainly not with Duane or Sette. He has definition, of course - he does bad things for (what he feels are) good reasons, and then feels bad about it later, masking his struggles with glib sarcasm - but he's ultimately a tool of the narrative (as are most characters in every story). Seems to me, based off this latest page, that Lady Ilganyag (who I'd wager is the more important character) is telling him his usefulness is over. She has no need to kill him, but if he doesn't pack it up, she won't make him welcome.

Bastion's previous tangent gave us a bunch of important information, after which he was prevented from rejoining the action for several chapters, all to answer the question: "If Bastion's such a bang-up wight who's invested in the success of the project, why isn't he presiding over its conclusion? If you have wizards, why not let them 'do' it?" Because he's on the run from his own people, kept unconscious by the Lady, and is now being told flat-out to back off (which he may or may not do; my money's on "May"). If anything, Cope seems to have taken a lot of steps to keep him out of the spotlight. He's mostly been a tool to facilitate exposition, and if Cope wants her talking head attached to the body of a beautiful man, well, it's her webcomic. She can draw whoever she wants.

Bastion himself isn't the point, it's the knowledge he reveals, and I'm okay with that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think the story's expanded enough to include protagonists outside the main traveling party of Duane/Sette/Jivi/Quigley/Matty/Uaid - Toma and Elka are the most obvious ones, but Bastion also qualifies. he might be flitting around the edges of things, but he has direct, personal stakes in a lot of key events happening in the plot, as well as being our only real anchor to the entire Black Tongue faction. he's still secondary for now, but a clear step up over characters like Rahm and Sonorie, who get some time spent with their internal woes and motivations but are still at the periphery of things, or Sara and Siya, who have more depth but are still limited to a single place or set of events

or to put it another way, he's a growing protagonist, in much the same way Anadyne is a growing antagonist. i'm just not all that taken with him so far

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I feel like Toma was a protagonist from before we even really met the Quigleys. A secondary one, but he's always been shown to the reader acting moreheroically than, say, Daddy Quigs. Elka's the one for me personally who grew from a supporting cast role to a member of the protagonist ensemble.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
eh

Bastion's a supporting character, it's just he has more presence than others, which I'm sure to be part of his concept as a character who has the most comprehensive idea of the structure of this story and theoretical ability to influence it, yet inability/unwillingness to do so. Like an inverse Timofey.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Bastion certainly wants to pull off the evil necromancer act but ultimately he's just the latest favorite sucker for an inhuman entity that found a really great way to recruit a bunch of suckers that will let you implant mind control metal in them is to pretend you can give them the answers to the whole death thing. He certainly has his own ambitions here, and let's face it he absolutely will return the Black Tongue's attention on himself and get to face that knife or worse again- but he's just Sessine's personal puppet in the physical realm when it is all said and done. She's got her hooks into Duane and Sette so she doesn't need him as much but she can absolutely keep him away from directly interfering with them.

Also I'm in the comic's Discord so I can also say per word of artist that Bastion's project with Duane is actually not considered terribly unique and honestly a little *pedestrian* when asked if his old human master would have viewed his project with pride. Its Prakhuta's silver monster that is a real work of art, from the perspective of your average mad scientist/mage. Which only feeds my theory that there is a lot more to the whole thing with the use of plods than what is currently known in general, for what that's worth. So Bastion is more like the guy in college more interested in getting into everyone else's pants and just cribbing off of someone else's work when it came down to crunch time. But what better way to make it obvious that he was going to cock everything up from the start?

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

On todays page, Ashley must have thought "hmm how can I make clowns even more horrifying?"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tar_Squid posted:

Bastion certainly wants to pull off the evil necromancer act but ultimately he's just the latest favorite sucker for an inhuman entity that found a really great way to recruit a bunch of suckers that will let you implant mind control metal in them is to pretend you can give them the answers to the whole death thing. He certainly has his own ambitions here, and let's face it he absolutely will return the Black Tongue's attention on himself and get to face that knife or worse again- but he's just Sessine's personal puppet in the physical realm when it is all said and done. She's got her hooks into Duane and Sette so she doesn't need him as much but she can absolutely keep him away from directly interfering with them.

Also I'm in the comic's Discord so I can also say per word of artist that Bastion's project with Duane is actually not considered terribly unique and honestly a little *pedestrian* when asked if his old human master would have viewed his project with pride. Its Prakhuta's silver monster that is a real work of art, from the perspective of your average mad scientist/mage. Which only feeds my theory that there is a lot more to the whole thing with the use of plods than what is currently known in general, for what that's worth. So Bastion is more like the guy in college more interested in getting into everyone else's pants and just cribbing off of someone else's work when it came down to crunch time. But what better way to make it obvious that he was going to cock everything up from the start?

Reading this over has reminded me that I basically have 0 idea what's going on in this comic, big-picture-wise, but I still love reading it day to day. That's what makes it so good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the extremely broad picture is that Duane and Sette are blundering through a series of tricksy plots set up by Alderode (to preserve its internal hegemony), Cresce (to destroy Alderode), and Sharteshane (to make mad bank), with those plots being manipulated by Ilganyag and Ruckmearkha for reasons of their own. then you have the deadly intrigue of Cresce’s royal court, this latest business with Mikhaila, the Black Tongues scurrying around the edges of things, et cetera. lot of story in this story

it’s darkly amusing how Sette’s abusive dad is coming out as one of the more upright characters just because of the competition. all Nary wants is to make enough dosh to quit crime and his manipulations have survived everything the world’s thrown at Sette so far

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well there's always time for the big reveal of what kind of hosed up poo poo he did in order to get ahold of her as a baby.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Had to do a monster of a double-take after an oblique comment on Ash's QnA:

does the 'construct' at the head of the float remind you of anybody? a leadership figure in the new Blacktongues, perhaps?

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Had to do a monster of a double-take after an oblique comment on Ash's QnA:

Well something has to hold that mask in position, why not tiny arms?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Well something has to hold that mask in position, why not tiny arms?

I think the hilarifying part is the very full belly. it’s looking like Roger was finally spent

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Its also hilarious how Paul was originally set up as kind of a whiny foil to Bastion but here he is being the most reasonable Black Tongue on the float, going 'honestly, dude, why did you HAVE to use children's arms for your candy throwing plods, its a bad look' and supposed nice dude Maur going 'well they were going to rot otherwise so.' Guessing moral integrity was never a thing that Lady Illangyag ever looked for in her not-harem.

We haven't even gotten to the real meat of events today at the port and the Black Tongues are already proving to be a difficult sell to society. They'd better step up once the fun starts at the port or I can't imagine the Queen or anyone else publically supporting them anytime soon. Too bad the stupid bird lady already spoiled the ending.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh ffs ruck isn’t even the worst thing to appear on the latest page

how is this chapter still going

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Welp, that city is getting nuked.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

oh ffs ruck isn’t even the worst thing to appear on the latest page

how is this chapter still going

I was asking myself "worse than ruck? I don't see the silver anywhere", and then I took a look at the last panel.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
1) ah, there's my boy and his face-hands
2) uh oh

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It sure didn't take long for the fun to arrive, did it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bit of a coincidence that all these nefarious personages would show up in some backwater town at the same time

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I don't think it's that much of backwater. It's at least big enough for Queen Sonorie to do her Tirnasday thing there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

I don't think it's that much of backwater. It's at least big enough for Queen Sonorie to do her Tirnasday thing there.

It's a tour procession, they're hitting a bunch of towns. The townies in the shop were just talking about how it was small and out of the way enough that some parts of the procession hadn't even joined up yet.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Well, I entirely missed that!

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

So Lemuel was in the plot to turn Duane into a weird undead something something? I'm rereading again with that knowledge but I don't see anything that adds sense to what he did. Are there any fan hypotheses on what possible motivation he could have?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

day-gas posted:

So Lemuel was in the plot to turn Duane into a weird undead something something? I'm rereading again with that knowledge but I don't see anything that adds sense to what he did. Are there any fan hypotheses on what possible motivation he could have?

i think the intention was for duane, newly-ordained Soud composer and pride of Alderode, to be tragically slain on the way home by despicable Crescian saboteurs, conveniently strengthening the Vits' power over the country (especially the Ssaelit faction). duane messed that up a bit when he decked bodie and scuppered his chances of composerhood, but the wheels were already in motion by then and it's not like anyone was going to talk about it. lemuel's role was to keep the guard patrols away from the assassins and make sure mikhaila was with duane that night, which would distract him from being able to deal with the assassins personally

bastion joined for a chance to test his necromancy on a tacit caster (and he's none too fond of duane to start with), but i'm not sure what they needed him for in the first place - the black tongues seem a little extravagant for extra muscle. either way, the assassins hosed the plan up even further when they stabbed mikhaila, and bastion patched her up and told them to keep her out of the way while he worked on duane

as for lemuel's feelings on the whole mess, i'm sure it's exactly how he justified the temple massacre: "i'm sick with it, but it's the way it is." sette's line about how he only ever does what he wanted to do anyway is probably dead-on - lem's part in the plot must be eating part of him up inside, but there's another part that took a wicked bit of pleasure in putting his arrogant, moral coward of a brother in his place

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

They're gonna make the kid kill their dad as an initiation, aren't they?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I rather suspect Lemuel was in on the resurrection bit - or rather, on Bastion trying to send a coherent soul poking around the khert - but wasn't properly informed about the, uh, side effects. That might more generally be a secondary motivator for the Ssaelit side or the conspiracy in general. In other words, maybe Bastion's contribution to the conspiracy was the same thing Bastion wanted to do.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well Lem helped gather some parts for Duane's corpse and smuggled him out of the country, right? Or was that a fever dream of Duane's?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Duane, insane as his brain putrified, broke his nose and ran away. Lem had no idea what'd happened to him until encountering him at Litriya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

They're gonna make the kid kill their dad as an initiation, aren't they?

I'm glad that I appear to have been wrong about this.