Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

goons I think I just bought a house in seattle and I feel like I'm about to hurl

It’s wild reading the book microserfs and they keep mentioning the cheap Seattle real estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

“Radiant, electric heat”

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/32-Colonial-Dr-Waterford-CT-06385/58984728_zpid/

The house was built in 1978 and it appears to have baseboard heating so I’m not sure the Zillow page is correct…but if it is, I’m guessing electric heat would be stupid expensive in New England, right?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

nwin posted:

“Radiant, electric heat”

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/32-Colonial-Dr-Waterford-CT-06385/58984728_zpid/

The house was built in 1978 and it appears to have baseboard heating so I’m not sure the Zillow page is correct…but if it is, I’m guessing electric heat would be stupid expensive in New England, right?

You were asking about this place a month ago! Have you had an agent do a video tour or something? They can show you the mechanicals. Generally CT isn't great for electric rates with some exceptions. You could request some data on their utility bills to confirm.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TheLawinator posted:

You were asking about this place a month ago! Have you had an agent do a video tour or something? They can show you the mechanicals. Generally CT isn't great for electric rates with some exceptions. You could request some data on their utility bills to confirm.

Haha I know. I’m active duty military and was only 90% sure we’d be moving to Connecticut , but last week we got orders so it’s definitely happening now. I’ve got some relatives going to check the house this week. It’s currently rented and they only allow showings on Saturdays. We just met our realtor and got preapproved this week, so now things will start happening.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Electric radiant heat is stupid expensive pretty much everywhere.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Electric radiant heat seems like one of those things where solar would pay for itself in the first couple of years, if you have a clear view of the afternoon sky

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sirotan posted:

Electric radiant heat is stupid expensive pretty much everywhere.

So i checked with the electric company and the house averages $200-300 in the summer and $500-600 in the winter.

It’s an electric water heater and no central AC, so I’m guessing their blasting window units in the summer.

Finding info on propane and oil and tricky since there isn’t one provider. Like $600 a month in the winter sounds horrible, but another house with central AC averages $160 in the winter and they have oil heat. I’m not sure how much the cost of oil would average out to since there’s so many factors (weather, tank size, efficiency, etc). Like if I’m spending $400 a month on oil, then the house with radiant electricity doesn’t sound so bad.

Another thing it has going for it is public sewer and water, so no well or septic tank to maintain.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

You were asking about this place a month ago!

Which is an excellent sign in a market like this that there's something seriously wrong with the place. Or it would have been sold already.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Put an offer on a place $25k over asking. It went $35k over asking...

Not a surprise to most people I know. But I figured $20k in the area we were looking would be enough. Not so much. Now I have a bridge loan pre-approval and am scrambling like mad to get current house ready to go on the market. I'm just happy I can sell my current house for an outrageous amount as well, and that I am moving to a cheaper area.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

nwin posted:

So i checked with the electric company and the house averages $200-300 in the summer and $500-600 in the winter.

It’s an electric water heater and no central AC, so I’m guessing their blasting window units in the summer.

Finding info on propane and oil and tricky since there isn’t one provider. Like $600 a month in the winter sounds horrible, but another house with central AC averages $160 in the winter and they have oil heat. I’m not sure how much the cost of oil would average out to since there’s so many factors (weather, tank size, efficiency, etc). Like if I’m spending $400 a month on oil, then the house with radiant electricity doesn’t sound so bad.

Another thing it has going for it is public sewer and water, so no well or septic tank to maintain.

Probably not a helpful data point but my dad's place in Michigan, mid 2000's build, 3000 sqft. Since 2016 for propane he has paid between $88 and $183/mo depending on the price of the gas and weather. He keeps his house pretty cool (67 ish I would say). Michigan should have similar if not worse weather than Connecticut. He locks in the price for the entire year at a time instead of buying it at the market price and potentially paying out the rear end in the middle of winter. If you can pay similar over there? who knows and too many factors. This is what he paid per gallon since 2016:

2106 - $1.569
2017 - $1.569
2018 - $1.639
2019 - $1.769
2020 - $1.519
2021 - $1.659
2022 - $1.829

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Probably not a helpful data point but my dad's place in Michigan, mid 2000's build, 3000 sqft. Since 2016 for propane he has paid between $88 and $183/mo depending on the price of the gas and weather. He keeps his house pretty cool (67 ish I would say). Michigan should have similar if not worse weather than Connecticut. He locks in the price for the entire year at a time instead of buying it at the market price and potentially paying out the rear end in the middle of winter. If you can pay similar over there? who knows and too many factors. This is what he paid per gallon since 2016:

2106 - $1.569
2017 - $1.569
2018 - $1.639
2019 - $1.769
2020 - $1.519
2021 - $1.659
2022 - $1.829

Midwest propane is much cheaper than east coast propane, so it's not really a comparison that can be made.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_wfr_a_EPLLPA_PRS_dpgal_w.htm

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Michigan should have similar if not worse weather than Connecticut. He locks in the price for the entire year at a time instead of buying it at the market price and potentially paying out the rear end in the middle of winter. If you can pay similar over there? who knows and too many factors. This is what he paid per gallon since 2016:

2106 - $1.569
2017 - $1.569
2018 - $1.639
2019 - $1.769
2020 - $1.519
2021 - $1.659
2022 - $1.829
Another anecdote - I’m in CT (New Haven county) and my neighborhood locked in at $2.24/gallon this year.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How come you only need to stay in a house for at least 3-5 years before you can come out on top of fees and such? Don’t you have to pay off your mortgage before you can at least get the full value of the house back? Or is my math all hosed up?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Pollyanna posted:

How come you only need to stay in a house for at least 3-5 years before you can come out on top of fees and such? Don’t you have to pay off your mortgage before you can at least get the full value of the house back? Or is my math all hosed up?

When you sell the house, you pay the bank the balance on your mortgage and pocket the difference. Around 3-5 years in, assuming the value of the house stays even, you've 'saved up' enough equity to offset the transaction fees.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pollyanna posted:

When you sell your house, the buyer cuts you a check that you use to pay off the remaining mortgage, pay the ~5% realtor's fee, and then keep what's left.

Let's say you bought a $1M house and you put $200k down and got an $800k mortgage at 3.5%.

Let's say the house went up in value 3% per year for 5 years.

In 5 years you sell your house for $1,159,274. The realtor keeps $57,964 for all their hard work, the bank collects the $699,292 you still owe on the mortgage, and you're left with $402,018.

That's $402,018 in proceeds for the house you put $200k down on! But you also spent about $154k on Interest on the mortgage so the true profit to yourself is much skinnier. Plus we assume a lot by saying 3% growth per year, on top of maintenance, taxes etc.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've never been a seller but if/when I am I am going to research the hell out of any viable ways to cut out realtors. Nothing but expensive gatekeepers in the modern housing era.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've never been a seller but if/when I am I am going to research the hell out of any viable ways to cut out realtors. Nothing but expensive gatekeepers in the modern housing era.

They're scum, it's a cartel, and selling a house as FSBO manages to be even worse.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Those two facts might be related.

"people” posted:

math :words:

For some reason I thought that when you sell your mortgage to someone you lose out on everything you’ve paid into the house already. :shobon: today is not my day I think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pollyanna posted:

Those two facts might be related.

For some reason I thought that when you sell your mortgage to someone you lose out on everything you’ve paid into the house already. :shobon: today is not my day I think

You do not. Whatever you pay in to your home (aside from interest) exists as equity (plus or minus the change in value of your house over the purchase price).

However, initial mortgage payments are overwhelmingly interest payments in fixed rate loans, so you won't see a huge amount of equity build up due to payments over the first years of home ownership.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

It's not entirely incorrect, especially in times when mortgage interest is higher and housing prices are closer to static. On a half-million purchase with a 30 year term and 6% interest, you make nearly $36k in payments in the first year. Nearly $30k of that is purely interest. If you sold after a year, $36k of payments only "earns" you $5-6k of principal. So it's not "lost" but there's not much there, and after accounting for transaction costs you've absolutely lost your rear end in this hypothetical.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You can try. Once you sell a couple of houses you realize what a huge pain in the rear end the whole stupid process and more often than not you just give in.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If there’s anything I know for sure about buying, it’s that I ain’t getting a place without a large chunk set aside for day 1 repairs and improvements.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We moved into a place recently and I've got about $400 into my string lights backyard lighting project (worth it for the security alone, backyard glows like the sun now), plus another $500 in yard tools and we've only been here not even a month

Probably going to dump another $600 into sand and pavers in an approximation of a usable outdoor dining area

When it comes to boats, rule of thumb is to prepare to spend 20% of the boats purchase price on upgrades and repairs

Don't even get me started on our new dining room table set and the obscene vase my wife just ordered

Edit: I guess we got a sleeper couch too, havertys was doing a 7 year 0% interest deal over presidents day. We looked at current inflation rates and laughed

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 7, 2022

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hadlock posted:

obscene vase my wife just ordered

Maybe you need to be a little more creative if she's gotta order obscene vases.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Hadlock posted:

Edit: I guess we got a sleeper couch too, havertys was doing a 7 year 0% interest deal over presidents day. We looked at current inflation rates and laughed

We bought a new sleeper sofa the weekend after we closed, since my brother and his wife were going to be visiting us 5 months later and we were seeing 5 month lead times on sleepers.

Thankfully the store here had the brand I wanted in stock (Luonto) and we got it a couple weeks later. Slept in it last weekend and it's super comfortable.

I am very curious about the obscene vase, too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh it's obscenely expensive. It's like a thousand dollar carved crystal vase from some fancy department stores website. My dad would have tongue in cheek called it her lifetime achievement award or something. Whatever, it's her money and her new job.

Anyways point is, outfitting a new house gets expensive fast, particularly if you're upgrading from like, a tiny urban apartment to a medium sized SFH

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Hadlock posted:

Anyways point is, outfitting a new house gets expensive fast, particularly if you're upgrading from like, a tiny urban apartment to a medium sized SFH

This is one of those things people don't realize. Most furniture that you've lugged from apartment to apartment for the last 10 years, bought to be neutral and fit a small space, doesn't generally last long in a new house before people want to upgrade.

- Paint adds up quickly, especially if you want to use good paint and do a halfway decent job and buying all the tools/equipment needed.
- Yard tools. A Rigid wet/dry vac. Cleaning supplies/mop/brooms. Have a lawn? Enjoy your new lawn mower. Garden hose?
- Lightbulbs and light fixtures. Holy poo poo thats a money pit I didn't realize would be so expensive until we decided to replace nearly every light source in our house.
- We had to replace the blinds in our house. We had one aluminum blind in one office and none in the others. We wanted all new cellulose top down bottom up blinds in three of our rooms so that was an easy $1000.
- building out an office space. Desks/chairs/book shelf
- rugs and new spaces you didn't have furniture before. Bookshelves. Buffets/credenzas. Coffee tables. Media centers. Even cheap ikea stuff adds up quickly if you're doubling your sq footage.
- artwork/wall art. Those "live, laugh, love" signs don't buy themselves. poo poo gets expensive quick.
- Furnace filters if you have one

Of course most of this doesn't have to be a day 1 purchase, but you'll likely buy it in the first 6 months. Anybody can make due for a little while but eventually your house will start to feel empty/unfinished.

Verman fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 9, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Verman posted:

- Yard tools. A Ryobi wet/dry vac. Cleaning supplies/mop/brooms. Have a lawn? Enjoy your new lawn mower. Garden hose?
- Lightbulbs and light fixtures. Holy poo poo thats a money pit I didn't realize would be so expensive until we decided to replace nearly every light source in our house.
- We had to replace the blinds in our house. We had one aluminum blind in one office and none in the others. We wanted all new cellulose top down bottom up blinds in three of our rooms so that was an easy $1000.
- building out an office space. Desks/chairs/book shelf
- rugs and new spaces you didn't have furniture before. Bookshelves. Buffets/credenzas. Coffee tables. Media centers. Even cheap ikea stuff adds up quickly if you're doubling your sq footage.
- artwork/wall art. Those "live, laugh, love" signs don't buy themselves. poo poo gets expensive quick.
- Furnace filters if you have one

Yep

$250 quality name brand electric leaf blower, previous occupants I don't think ever set foot in the back yard is (was) about 3" deep in leaves on top of another 2" of thick black wet decaying leaves
$20 pruning shears for the hedges that haven't been trimmed in at least five years
$60 for grass seed and a hand seed spreader to try and make use of the otherwise good yard
$50 for a garden hose
We have a collection of something like 32 Phillips hue bulbs now, I think we bought 10 a dozen new color and white bulbs for the new house, $320
Haven't touched the blinds yet but I hate them, probably a next year project
Haven't finished unpacking my office yet but there's a $150 wire rack shelving unit in the closet, probably out another $250 for a nice rug, a workbench table ($???), some nice lamps to replace the $10 Amazon special "crutch" lamps currently sitting on the floor
I think I've got $50 in air return filters so far, the first set are mostly shot trying to keep up with all the dust from moving etc

Like $1200 worth of stuff and not even discussing the couch and dining set + obscene vase

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Just noticed Trulia removed their crime map. I get why they did it for the most part, but still. It was helpful for areas I'm not super knowledgeable of.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Hadlock posted:

Yep

We have a collection of something like 32 Phillips hue bulbs now, I think we bought 10 a dozen new color and white bulbs for the new house, $320

I wish I didn't like these so much, but damned if they don't work super well

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We bought like, two, four years ago, and by the end of the month had like 10, they're loving convenient, especially once you're snuggled up on the couch with a glass of wine and popcorn under a blanket, and you realize you forgot to turn off the lights, or whatever

I wish they made a 1200 lumen Phillips hue bulb, all my lamps have either 1->2 socket Y adapters, or 1->3 socket for the larger lamps

You can buy off brand led smart lights but it's hard to beat a quality product with platinum level support from everyone, with reasonable reassurance that they'll still get software updates in a year or two

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

What made me a customer for life was that a year after I bought a set I had some issues with syncing and they sent me new ones with a new hub no questions asked

Keep an eye on Woot.com, they regularly have multipacks for a decent discount

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hadlock posted:

We bought like, two, four years ago, and by the end of the month had like 10, they're loving convenient, especially once you're snuggled up on the couch with a glass of wine and popcorn under a blanket, and you realize you forgot to turn off the lights, or whatever

I wish they made a 1200 lumen Phillips hue bulb, all my lamps have either 1->2 socket Y adapters, or 1->3 socket for the larger lamps

You can buy off brand led smart lights but it's hard to beat a quality product with platinum level support from everyone, with reasonable reassurance that they'll still get software updates in a year or two

Philips Hue has some higher lumen bulbs these days. Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but their site claims they go up to 1600 now for some of them.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hadlock posted:

Just curious how expensive this couch is?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They have some 1300 lumen outdoor floodlight, but AFAIK if you want color bulbs, you need the strip lights, or the standard 800 lumen color bulbs

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

One of the good things for us for keeping us from buying a lot is that we went from a 2/2 apartment to a small 2/2 with den and VERY small yard house. I think we might have 100 sq ft of grass total. We even had to get rid of some of our furniture in the move since it didn't fit.

I am itching to replace the living room furniture and other stuff since it's all IKEA stuff we've had for almost 10 years (we have 5 Expedits...), but it's hard to justify the cost when it still works and looks okay.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Just curious how expensive this couch is?

I think it's this one, in gray or light blue. I don't super like it visually, but my wife has friends visiting at the end of the month and they were able to deliver it in like 9 days while my mom was here staying with us, and it lives in her office so I never have to look at it

https://www.havertys.com/furniture/destiny-sleeper

Mostly we were really amused you could buy a couch on a 7 year payment plan, at 0% interest, especially at 7% inflation. If I keep getting inflation adjustment raises, in like two or three years the effective cost of the couch goes down by like 12%, or something like that.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Verman posted:

- A Ryobi wet/dry vac.

e...excuse me? i believe you have misspelled ridgid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

e...excuse me? i believe you have misspelled ridgid

Did you get the one that fits on the orange bucket or are you fancy?