Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its like 1% of our total oil imports, we can easily do it and its part of why Biden released oil from the strategic reserve. We're talking less than 30,000 barrels of oil a month.

To compare we import something like 7.8 million barrels of oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

He was showing solidarity with Putin by getting beaten by Ukraine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This is entangled in domestic policy/energy independence/Biden's tougher stance on big oil and fracking/etc. It wouldn't really surprise me to see this outcome to be honest, especially since the US doesn't get too much of it's oil from Russia in the first place, as Chalks noticed.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

PederP posted:

It's kind of interesting that the UK has gone this route unlike Denmark. As most of you know we have an extremely harsh legislation considering immigration (and not just brown ones - being allowed to bring a non-EU partner/spouse is expensive and difficult, American students regularly get deported due to minor mistakes filling out paperwork, etc.) and asylum. Almost all of that was completely waived not just for Ukrainian immigrants, but also (mostly) for refugees previously staying in Ukraine, Part of this is due to populism and employers being exceptionally thirsty for labor, but from most of the political parties there did seem to be a genuine wish to actually take in refugees from Ukraine.

The UK seems to be in this weird role where the government is extremely vocal in support of Ukraine, sanctions against Russia and helping refugees. But the actions of the government (at least seen from the outside - I know little about UK politics) are just so wildly incongruous with what is being said, that it is almost comical. I just don't understand why? My preconception is that every politician is a scumbag, so it's not that part I don't get. But isn't the public support for pro-Ukraine and taking refugees strong enough to make it an easy choice to have actions match words? The UK also needs labor, so I'd imagine employers are every bit as thirsty for immigrant labor as here in Denmark. Is it still Brexit politics at work or is Boris and his gang just plain malevolent?

I guess I just answered my own long-winded question. But still, people like Duda and Orban are taking in refugees. The Danish social democrats are doing so, too - and they're even anti-labor import unlike the rest. UK politicians are an enigma.

UK politicians are both stupid and evil monsters, and right now the main opposition party's leader's opinions on what the government is doing is that they are not being monstrous enough.

the tory party is also funded by oligarchs basically, which also affects their decisions

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The guy who rammed the gate of the Russian embassy in Ireland:

lol, he makes the cop accept his handout before agreeing to be arrested. What a guy!

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's to help Biden, not Ukraine.

It also helps public perception in Ukraine.
It's about the will to do something, not even the effect size.

It also bolsters Zelensky, imo.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

This twitter has been monitoring Belarusian airspace during the war so far. Judging by it's posting over the last couple of hours Russia is throwing as much air as they have ready at Ukraine right now :sigh: Russia is pretty solidly known to be staging their air assaults out of Belarusian airspace.

https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp
It's Belarus-based

Yeah, that's my worry about the recent increases in Russian aircraft being shot down--it might mean that Ukraine is getting better at shooting them down, but it could also mean that there are simply more Russian aircraft there to be shot down (but also do the things aircraft do).

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Dante posted:

Crimea is "an inseparable constituent part of Ukraine" according to the Ukrainian constitution (article 134), and altering the territory of Ukraine can only be done through an all-Ukrainian referendum (article 73). It is not within the power of the president or parliament.

You can't amend the constitution if it is a "violation of the territorial indivisibility of Ukraine" (article 157).

Related to this, I remember reading that in Russia they changed the... constitution(?) to explicitly state that Crimea belongs to Russia. If that's the case, that would make negotiations about Crimea even more impossible.

This war is making me a bit uneasy with all the uncertainty related to how it might end

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

This twitter has been monitoring Belarusian airspace during the war so far. Judging by it's posting over the last couple of hours Russia is throwing as much air as they have ready at Ukraine right now :sigh: Russia is pretty solidly known to be staging their air assaults out of Belarusian airspace.

https://twitter.com/MotolkoHelp
It's Belarus-based

This definitely seems like a trick by Russia to get Ukraine to "provoke" Belarus into the war

My god Putin truly is awful

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Play posted:

Is dressing up in the other side's uniforms like, acceptable overall? Are there any treaties or anything preventing that?

Loads in fact! It is explicitly prohibited by the Geneva conventions, the Hague conventions and specifically defined as a war crime in the Rome Statute (treaty that established the ICC):

quote:

Making improper use of a flag of truce, of the flag or of the military insignia and uniform of the enemy or of the United Nations, as well as of the distinctive emblems of the Geneva Conventions, resulting in death or serious personal injury;
Russia withdrew its signature on the ICC, but it's still a signatory to the Geneva and Hague conventions.

Dante fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 7, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PerilPastry posted:

lol, he makes the cop accept his handout before agreeing to be arrested. What a guy!

It's evidence! (What a nice sight though, everyone's so friendly to everyone except to that Russian gate.)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Supposedly Vladimir Zhoga, the lead of the Sparta Battalion (Russian equilivant of the Azov Battalion in the DPR) was killed today. Putin posthumously awarded him the Hero of The Russian Federation medal. There have been links to Russian language media reports, but not much in the English media from what I can see.

https://eadaily.com/ru/news/2022/03/05/pogib-geroy-dnr-vladimir-zhoga-komandir-sparty-posle-gibeli-motoroly

https://ria.ru/20220305/sparta-1776838908.html

https://ria.ru/20220305/sparta-1776838908.html

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Chalks posted:

They only get 2% of their supply from Russia, would it even matter?

No so long as Europe keeps importing because then there’s be extra competition. But it would help shield the Biden administration from the blowback of (hypothetically) easing sanctions on Venezuela and Iran which would drive down oil prices give political breathing room over the cost of gas and gently caress over Russia without loving over the German economy.

It’s much more elegant than ban oil imports but it would also be a big political gift to republicans on foreign policy so it comes down to whether Biden is willing to trade one set of domestic political problems for another.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Pinch of salt etc.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1500900732064649218

I can't read the Ukrainian legend but it doesn't look like Kyiv is anywhere near being encircled if this is true.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Posted this in the CW Aviation thread but should also apply here.

Military Aviation History did a YT vid on the No Fly Zone relating to Ukraine that looks like a good primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hob1nbP_UKM

:ukraine:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TulliusCicero posted:

In all honesty I feel like at this point the CIA and multiple other agencies are trying to purposely embarass Russia to the world.

Like they do have a vested interest in having the world see the Paper Bear bumbling around in the mud and getting their tanks/ AA towed away by farmers.

It just depletes more of the soft power Russia had from its image of cold, calculated, and ruthless efficiency it had gained, and further diminishes Putin, so showing this footage is extremely effective to that purpose.

That's just my best guess though

Post from days ago, but it really summarises my take on this.

Intelligence agencies from across NATO have been watching Russia gently caress with their countries for years now. Trump, the 1/6 insurrection, the truck Nazis in Ottawa, Brexit and so many other major threats to democracy where targeted Russian propaganda and even active Russian intelligence assets were involved. But the agencies' job is just to report on this poo poo, and it's up to other branches of their governments to actually react to it. And large numbers of elected representatives are now either buying into Russian-promoted fringe propaganda, or are full-blown Russian assets themselves. So the CIA/NSA, CSIS, MI5, and a host of equivalent agencies have had to stew in their frustration as they've dutifully pointed out the Russian fuckery, and watched nothing be done about it.

Now suddenly they have a chance to not only give Russia a bloody nose by supplying SIGINT and command and control to the Ukrainians, but also to signal boost Russia showing their whole rear end to the world. I can only imagine the palpable aura of glee as they go about this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Play posted:

That did not look like any compression artifact I've ever seen, frankly. Compression would've blurred everything to make it difficult to see what happened, especially zoomed in, whereas this was actually quite clear. Putin's hand passed directly through a microphone that was supposedly right there with him. I have never seen a compression artifact cause an effect like that and I would challenge you to find a single other example of anything similar.

I mean, missing iframes in a stream will make objects melt and blend through each other. The datamosh effect.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6957886147557199109

Like that but not done for effect.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

It's evidence! (What a nice sight though, everyone's so friendly to everyone except to that Russian gate.)

Yeah, the video is a pro-click, incredibly heartwarming

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Morrow posted:

1) The meeting was real and the flight attendants were actually there. Which means they would've had to quarantine for two weeks in advance for this photo op, while their industry and livelihoods began crumbling around them as a result of sanctions, so Putin can lecture them about why it was absolutely necessary.

Just because Putin made people in power either submit to his demands or sit at the long table doesn't mean he actually takes Covid isolation seriously at all.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Creative use of literature during the invasion:

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1500815037589504009

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Judakel posted:

Once again Vladimir Lenin comes to help the country he personally created, Nazi Ukraine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm kinda surprised this video has been released; usually the alphabet groups are pretty cagey on showing just how good our satellites are.

For people who know military logistics/repair, are these vehicles at greater risk of breaking down out here? I've been told that idling vehicle engines like this isn't great, and I'm sure that's exactly what most of these are doing to keep crew warm overnight. Also just sitting out in open space like this getting hot then cold has to be a problem.

I believe this is drone footage not a satellite?

oh wait no it's maxar duh

wow, we're good at that

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

EvilHawk posted:

Pinch of salt etc.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1500900732064649218

I can't read the Ukrainian legend but it doesn't look like Kyiv is anywhere near being encircled if this is true.

Yandex translate is good for images;

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PederP posted:

It's kind of interesting that the UK has gone this route unlike Denmark. As most of you know we have an extremely harsh legislation considering immigration (and not just brown ones - being allowed to bring a non-EU partner/spouse is expensive and difficult, American students regularly get deported due to minor mistakes filling out paperwork, etc.) and asylum. Almost all of that was completely waived not just for Ukrainian immigrants, but also (mostly) for refugees previously staying in Ukraine, Part of this is due to populism and employers being exceptionally thirsty for labor, but from most of the political parties there did seem to be a genuine wish to actually take in refugees from Ukraine.

The UK seems to be in this weird role where the government is extremely vocal in support of Ukraine, sanctions against Russia and helping refugees. But the actions of the government (at least seen from the outside - I know little about UK politics) are just so wildly incongruous with what is being said, that it is almost comical. I just don't understand why? My preconception is that every politician is a scumbag, so it's not that part I don't get. But isn't the public support for pro-Ukraine and taking refugees strong enough to make it an easy choice to have actions match words? The UK also needs labor, so I'd imagine employers are every bit as thirsty for immigrant labor as here in Denmark. Is it still Brexit politics at work or is Boris and his gang just plain malevolent?

I guess I just answered my own long-winded question. But still, people like Duda and Orban are taking in refugees. The Danish social democrats are doing so, too - and they're even anti-labor import unlike the rest. UK politicians are an enigma.

This is only a bit of the picture and I think it's worth noting how Ukranians feel:

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1499776522177204225

Aside from the US, the UK is basically the only country that has spend the last 8 years going big on helping Ukraine do military reform. The UK was also at the forefront of providing arms when invasion looked imminent.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This is a separate supply convoy than the other fuel convoy posted earlier. Completely different terrain and suburban location.
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1500915958080282627?s=20&t=YNPZExzM3nduCVK3Wa06Cw
In the words of philosopher Blade "Some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate uphill"

Also hoping this is accurate because those fuckers are monsters - they've been posting gloating videos on telagram and facebook for the last couple days.
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1500919817058103298?s=20&t=YNPZExzM3nduCVK3Wa06Cw

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Judakel posted:

Putin’s Russia /= Soviet Russia. I see how one might think that given both has a flare for oppressing people, but they aren’t the same.

Putin is a card carrying kleptocapitalist surrounded by billionaire oligarchs.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
IF the loss of 30 helicopters is confirmed, what rank of Russian commander is about to be locked in a cell with a pistol and one bullet? A Colonel?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

steinrokkan posted:

Once again Vladimir Lenin comes to help the country he personally created, Nazi Ukraine.

Millions dead due to Josef Stalin's invention, Ukraine

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

ZombieLenin posted:

Putin’s Russia /= Soviet Russia. I see how one might think that given both has a flare for oppressing people, but they aren’t the same.

You probably have most of them in your bookshelf anyhow. But yeah, a flare would work.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Quorum posted:

Millions dead due to Josef Stalin's invention, Ukraine

V.I. Lenin, apparently invented Ukraine.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ZombieLenin posted:

the ussr was an imperial power that oppressed ukraine and caused an intentional famine in ukraine

i think that's the relevant parallel they're drawing there

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Judakel posted:

Oh look the Nazis are burning books again!
-Vladimir Putin

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

KitConstantine posted:

Also hoping this is accurate because those fuckers are monsters - they've been posting gloating videos on telagram and facebook for the last couple days.
https://twitter.com/markito0171/status/1500919817058103298?s=20&t=YNPZExzM3nduCVK3Wa06Cw

Wonder if Kadyrov's large sons are actually on the frontline

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Just saw a bunch of "no sactions" on my timeline, saying that it hurts the average Russian but not Putin.

Do big sanctions work? The only time I remember divestment working was in South Africa aparthid goverment.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Twincityhacker posted:

Just saw a bunch of "no sactions" on my timeline, saying that it hurts the average Russian but not Putin.

Do big sanctions work? The only time I remember divestment working was in South Africa aparthid goverment.

We are in uncharted and unprecedented territory.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Rust Martialis posted:

V.I. Lenin, apparently invented Ukraine.

Even worse! :argh: To let loose such a virulent bioweapon as *checks notes* the nation of Ukraine on an unsuspecting world.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Anyone in tech from Europe know anything about Hetzner hosting company? People in the comments say they are sketchy/have weak security but it's waaaay outside my area.
https://twitter.com/MFA_Ukraine/status/1500899289580584962?t=TeE8MrwZ50lNrL-TCDDefQ&s=19

Weird time for this website to go down though.

Hetzner is in the bottom tier of hosting/managed services, being down is its natural state of things.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ZombieLenin posted:

Moooooooom ukraine is being mean to the USSR, make them stooooop. What did the USSR era russia ever do to them!!!?? :looks what the USSR did to Ukraine:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Twincityhacker posted:

Sanctions of this magnitude haven't really happened before so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

I believe the pounding should be happening in the blurred part.