Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not sure Paramount+ thought out their tagline "Celebrate Peak Streaming." I'm sure someone thought they were being very clever with the Paramount mountain and 'peak'. However, they do realize that when something is at it's peak, it's only going to get worse from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure Paramount+ thought out their tagline "Celebrate Peak Streaming." I'm sure someone thought they were being very clever with the Paramount mountain and 'peak'. However, they do realize that when something is at it's peak, it's only going to get worse from here on out.

Peaked, bull3964? Let me tell you something. Paramount hasn't even begun to peak, and when they do peak, you'll know. Because they are going to peak so hard everyone at Netflix is going to feel it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

EL BROMANCE posted:

Reacher was a bunch of fun and an easy binge. I only watched it to see Thad all grown up, but looking forward to S2 already. End was a bit silly but eh.

Speaking of Thad, I finally decided to check out Blue Mountain State after having it on my list forever and the first few episodes were better than I expected. How is it overall?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I liked Blue Mountain State all the way through but felt like the last couple seasons weren't as good as the first. Some great characters left and were replaced and while they eventually grew on me I still missed the ones who were gone. I think binging it is a lot like binging Letterkenny, it's fun but the vibe gets kind of exhausting after too long.

Started watching The Tourist last night and it's pretty good so far! Well well well got a pretty good laugh out of me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Disturbing lack of Chantal halfway through the fourth season of Search Party.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Inspector 34 posted:

I liked Blue Mountain State all the way through but felt like the last couple seasons weren't as good as the first. Some great characters left and were replaced and while they eventually grew on me I still missed the ones who were gone. I think binging it is a lot like binging Letterkenny, it's fun but the vibe gets kind of exhausting after too long.

Started watching The Tourist last night and it's pretty good so far! Well well well got a pretty good laugh out of me.

Thanks, this explains why I dropped off Letterkenny so hard. I binged all the seasons that were available at the time and was sick of the vibes it had by the time I was done and was unable to watch the newer seasons.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

That's a bummer because that itself sounds like an interesting story someone should've covered.

It was based on Jessica Pressler's article and Neff was a consultant, so you'd never get an overall negative portrayal of either of those two characters. It's the exact kind of reputation laundering Jerry Media used in their Fyre Fest documentary. It's also why Neff had her desire to be a filmmaker repeated multiple times an episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looking through the Comedy Central stuff on Paramount Plus and kind of weird that they're missing Upright Citizen's Brigade.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think BMS was probably the last acceptable bro-com, it definitely got worse as it went on but I remember it being a bunch of silly fun. I’ve not heard a single positive thing about the movie, so never watched it :(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

muscles like this! posted:

Looking through the Comedy Central stuff on Paramount Plus and kind of weird that they're missing Upright Citizen's Brigade.

The third season was never released on DVD even though it's been twenty years. Some weird rights thing happened but I have no idea what.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You'd think with Amy Pohler being a big name someone would want to capitalize on that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was an SCTV reunion special filmed 4 years ago that hasn't seen the light of day and isn't coming anytime soon. Kids in the Hall special was also delayed since 2019. I think comedy rights are cursed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The third season was never released on DVD even though it's been twenty years. Some weird rights thing happened but I have no idea what.

Season 3 was released back in 2014.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L3PA8P8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Looten Plunder posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_generation_sustainability

You could have googled this in 1/30th of the time it took to write this post.

lol thanks for the link that's interesting but in the context of the post and show, there was never any reason to look that up and if it wasn't clear, I've zero interest in looking up Yellowstone after having seen the trailer already. Of course in the time it took me to write this post, I could've flown a plane to the place and asked around personally and saved google the search costs, and maybe someone to help me type faster.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Holy poo poo, I had no idea this ever came out. Though I can see why. If you look at the release dates, this was seven years after season two.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea this ever came out. Though I can see why. If you look at the release dates, this was seven years after season two.

Oh, I know. I was one of the people waiting on it forever. Though when it came out in 2014, it was only 20 bucks.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Something I find interesting about Better Call Saul is the many ways in which the characters aren't driven by rational thinking. Which is mildly ironic because it's a show about a lawyer.

Chuck is a brilliant lawyer and yet his own logical thinking drives him to madness. Jimmy argues Nacho out of murdering the skater con artists by working through Nacho's absurd logic of bravado and revenge. The Kettlemans vehemently deny reality and every appeal to turn themselves in, ultimately only being beaten by dirty tricks. And this is just the first season, I haven't seen the rest yet.

E: sorry for the spiel.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 6, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Finally watched the last season of The Expanse and it was mostly good, but man it felt rushed as hell. Knowing their episode order had been cut from 10 to 6, I wish they’d just excised all the Laconian stuff setting up future shows/movies and just devoted that time to the actual war with Inaros instead. And speaking of Inaros, having him just be vaporized by the ring entities felt a bit anticlimactic after all the bullshit he’s caused on the show. Is that how the books off him? I was hoping for an actual fight between him and the Roci.

Decent season though. The Amazon era of the show is a bit uneven but I think they mostly stuck the landing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh, that's what that random unrelated sideplot was about, setting up a spinoff? Well, at least now it makes some kind of sense.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

I'm glad Britt Lower has been given a place to shine with Severance.

She was a guest star on Future Man and hosed that show up with how good she was. She's good in so much stuff, Casual, etc, but always as a guest

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shageletic posted:

She was a guest star on Future Man and hosed that show up with how good she was. She's good in so much stuff, Casual, etc, but always as a guest

She had a recurring part on Man Seeking Woman as the main character's sister and every season there was one episode where the title was reversed and the episode followed her around.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I knew Mrs. Maisel has a character coming in I can’t wait to see, but man the cameo in episode 4 just made me so happy.

John Waters for those who don’t watch the show.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

IRQ posted:

Oh, that's what that random unrelated sideplot was about, setting up a spinoff? Well, at least now it makes some kind of sense.

Yeah, they’ve been teasing it in little bits for a few seasons now.

Book spoilers, not super in depth because I’ve just skimmed the wiki:
In the books after this season takes place, there’s a 30 year time jump and the Laconians in that subplot become a major force in the universe with all kinds of proto-matter tech.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

As someone that only watched the show and read the first book I have no interest in more stories on laconia

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It's nice to see as the season goes on that Miriam is eating a bit of humble pie for what happened at the closing of season 3 but yow I honestly find it hard to not be on her side with the stunt Sophie pulls at the end of episode 6. She actually does quite well when she isn't being directly mean-spirited towards specific people but it's kinda hard to do that when someone walks in and shits all over you in front of an audience.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Aces High posted:

It's nice to see as the season goes on that Miriam is eating a bit of humble pie for what happened at the closing of season 3 but yow I honestly find it hard to not be on her side with the stunt Sophie pulls at the end of episode 6. She actually does quite well when she isn't being directly mean-spirited towards specific people but it's kinda hard to do that when someone walks in and shits all over you in front of an audience.

That scene made me so angry, like stop letting it get to you and just leave or something.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

Letterkenney should have ended with the spelling bee episode, that one really felt like a culmination of the entire show's raison d'etre.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Letterkenney is so much better now that I'm taking it in one season at a time instead of like 4 or 5 seasons like when I first discovered it. It's great at what it does, but that doesn't mean what it does is great. Spelling Bee was a great episode though yes, and if I ever wanted to introduce someone to the show that might be a good starter. Unfortunately it's kind of hard to recommend Letterkenney to anybody I actually know.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector 34 posted:

Letterkenney is so much better now that I'm taking it in one season at a time instead of like 4 or 5 seasons like when I first discovered it. It's great at what it does, but that doesn't mean what it does is great. Spelling Bee was a great episode though yes, and if I ever wanted to introduce someone to the show that might be a good starter. Unfortunately it's kind of hard to recommend Letterkenney to anybody I actually know.

Letterkenny is genuinely great, but it does hit an occasional rut here and there. To his credit, Jared Keeso is incredibly open about acknowledging mistakes they've made; for example, he readily admits they ran with the public access TV show bit in season 7 far too long. I agree, though, that consuming it by season is a lot better for a number of reasons. First and foremost, the rapid style of the dialogue can get a little tiring after too many episodes in a row. Beyond that, each season more or less tells its own story, though there are recurring plot points that recur over the years.

I still love the drat show, though. The spelling bee episode is excellent, but I think my best intro episode would be A Fuss at the Golf Course.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Can't decide what to feel about Winning Time so far. Performances are good, but I'm not quite gripped after a solo episode. Will see how the next few go now the scene is set.

There's definitely two aspects that could break it for some people though
* a loooooot of fourth wall breaking, I personally like it but some will hate it
* there's a weird blend of 70s-style film and 70s-style video that kinda bounces back and forth in some scenes. I'm not sure I really get it to be honest.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

I feel differently about that scene. I wasn't sympathetic to Miriam at all - she could have tried to de-escalate the situation, let Sophie have the spotlight; but no, she had to try and one-up Sophie, prove that she was the better comic, and it all blew up in her face.

Honestly, it's getting frustrating watching these characters make the same mistakes over and over again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can't decide what to feel about Winning Time so far. Performances are good, but I'm not quite gripped after a solo episode. Will see how the next few go now the scene is set.

There's definitely two aspects that could break it for some people though
* a loooooot of fourth wall breaking, I personally like it but some will hate it
* there's a weird blend of 70s-style film and 70s-style video that kinda bounces back and forth in some scenes. I'm not sure I really get it to be honest.

Michael Shannon was originally cast as the lead but he reportedly hated the fourth wall stuff and quit because of it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, Midge was definitely channeling her inner Kanye when she tried to embarrass Sophie. That whole performance was cringe as gently caress and flew right in the face of what she said in her apology to Baldwin.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Russian Doll season 2 drops on 4/20 lol

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Judge Steve Harvey? What the gently caress, really?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Combat Pretzel posted:

it couldn't possibly make more sense imo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Steve Harvey finally being the moral barometer us godless sinners need.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Biden's radical left judicial nominees have gone too far this time!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They also have a judge show to Chrissy Teigen where she spends most of the time readjusting her robe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SYFYWIRE/status/1500921629282639878

Didn't Negan beat Glenn to death with a baseball bat? I have questions.