Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sickening posted:

Texas is a huge fan of doing nothing about commercial fishing (which is 99% of the harvest) but limiting seasons for the rest of us. So probably not.

What about Louisiana? I'm not too far from the border; I can easily cross over to that side for crabs if I gotta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I. M. Gei posted:

What about Louisiana? I'm not too far from the border; I can easily cross over to that side for crabs if I gotta.

No clue. Generally they DGAF.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Got a fly fishing lesson today and got basic casting and stuff down relatively well—or at least well enough to get some flies and get out to the pond soon. I’m so glad I actually got with a local charter captain because I would’ve hosed myself up badly with bad habits without some instruction.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

Got a fly fishing lesson today and got basic casting and stuff down relatively well—or at least well enough to get some flies and get out to the pond soon. I’m so glad I actually got with a local charter captain because I would’ve hosed myself up badly with bad habits without some instruction.

Awesome! Good luck!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Anyone have feelings on Honda vs Mercury boat motors?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ghostnuke posted:

Anyone have feelings on Honda vs Mercury boat motors?

how much power, what application, new or used, etc?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I have a 20 horse mariner from 1985. I think mariner is a budget mercury motor?

It has sat outside uncovered for decades, gone years without being run, and it still runs like a champ.

After sitting for the last 3 years it finally needs a new impeller.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

how much power, what application, new or used, etc?

115 or 150 maybe. Trying to decide what I'd put on a brand new boat. I think yamaha, suzuki, and evinrude are options as well if one is demonstrably better.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

double post, gently caress everyone

My reading seems to be pointing me towards a Yamaha or a Honda. I'd love to pick Honda, but I think I'd be ok with either.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The weather is picking up. Throughout the southeast, bass are moving onto spawning beds, crappie are spawning, shad are running in the coastal rivers, and the mountain trout streams are getting rain. Go fishing everyone! Post your latest.

I checked out a local park pond the other day. Bass were staging but not spawning yet, so they mostly just looked at me. Caught one small one on the fly rod. Also, some rear end in a top hat planted trees on the levee for the pond, so it's very inhospitable for fly fishing.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Dik Hz posted:

The weather is picking up. Throughout the southeast, bass are moving onto spawning beds, crappie are spawning, shad are running in the coastal rivers, and the mountain trout streams are getting rain. Go fishing everyone! Post your latest.

Nice first fish! Wish I could go but everything is still iced over in the bad way around here - just had three kids fall through ice at a local pond yesterday :( Thankfully they were rescued. Takes a while for 4 inches+ of ice to melt safely, then all the streams take a bit to settle anyway.

Bass are catch and release on artificial lures year round here, trout season starts April 1st. (New York)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any reccs on a spinning rod/reel combo for a mix of crappie and trout?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Snagged a couple 2-3lb largemouth the other day just on a brief walk out to the ponds.

Filled out my fly box with a few additional staples but it’s been so windy i haven’t been able to put line to water yet. Probably Wednesday.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I caught maybe 50 bass over the weekend, just piddling around. Nothing over a couple of pounds but that's just how it goes at this little lake. They've been moving up shallow for a few weeks but now it seems like they're moving up and staying. Water temps near the surface were just getting to 60 degrees. This is in the southeast... B'ham-ish.

Craw-style baits have been killing it for me, as have little paddle tail swimbaits. Chatterbaits are good, too. Wacky-rigged senkos are just around the corner for me. Can't wait for that first topwater bite of the year, but it's gotta be at least a couple of weeks away.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I need to get some little paddletail swim baits but I’ve never used them for bass. Never had much luck w craws though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I need to get some little paddletail swim baits but I’ve never used them for bass. Never had much luck w craws though.

Get a jig classified as a "swim jig" with a paddletail as the trailer. You can also go the bladed jig route of the "chatterbait" with the paddletail trailer. While a swimbait on its own works, it just works less well (IMO) as the jig + paddletail combination.

Craws work well texas style, or specifically on a small football jig for me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sickening posted:

Get a jig classified as a "swim jig" with a paddletail as the trailer. You can also go the bladed jig route of the "chatterbait" with the paddletail trailer. While a swimbait on its own works, it just works less well (IMO) as the jig + paddletail combination.

Craws work well texas style, or specifically on a small football jig for me.

Nice! Will do.

On the craws, I used the poo poo out of them Texas rigged last year and literally caught nothing. Then I’d switch to a 4” senko with the same coloring and catch a bunch. It was frustrating as hell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Nice! Will do.

On the craws, I used the poo poo out of them Texas rigged last year and literally caught nothing. Then I’d switch to a 4” senko with the same coloring and catch a bunch. It was frustrating as hell.

Some people just have the touch and confidence in certain techniques. Texas rigged anything is terrible when in my hands. Those tiny football jigs with tiny craw trailers catch bass all the time though for me.

Same with jerkbaits. I am a jerkbait savant. I seem to have a magic ability to catch fish of a wide variety of species year round.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Sickening posted:

Some people just have the touch and confidence in certain techniques. Texas rigged anything is terrible when in my hands. Those tiny football jigs with tiny craw trailers catch bass all the time though for me.

Same with jerkbaits. I am a jerkbait savant. I seem to have a magic ability to catch fish of a wide variety of species year round.

I’ve been back at bass fishing for a couple of years after a multi-decade hiatus so it’s probably mostly that I’m a lovely fisherman. Luckily I’ve been able to catch enough fish to make it worthwhile and interesting.

Texas and Carolina rigging have yielded fish in our small pressured ponds but im really hoping I can pull some of the wilier fish up with the fly rod with this spring.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Meanwhile up here it only just lately got above freezing on a regular basis, maybe I'll go poke around a creek once this torrential rain stops :shobon:

There's a pretty robust stream nearish to my place that's got a few holes and eddies, gotta be something in there right

ed:- does Fishbrain aggravate the poo poo out of anyone but me?

the yeti fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 8, 2022

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bewbies posted:

Any reccs on a spinning rod/reel combo for a mix of crappie and trout?

I like the Mitchell Avocet combo as a good starting lightweight spinning set.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

the yeti posted:

Meanwhile up here it only just lately got above freezing on a regular basis, maybe I'll go poke around a creek once this torrential rain stops :shobon:

There's a pretty robust stream nearish to my place that's got a few holes and eddies, gotta be something in there right

ed:- does Fishbrain aggravate the poo poo out of anyone but me?

Cheers, cold rain buddy. I have found fish in unexpected places so anything that has some deeper spots is worth tossing a worm in or whatever.

My Fishbrain experience is posting a bass/trout of any size and having 10 dipshits from my area asking exact catch spot. I'm happy to say the general body of water and area but some of these spots I hiked distances you should never hike in waders while it's 90 out, let me have something to myself :(

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

LegionAreI posted:

Cheers, cold rain buddy. I have found fish in unexpected places so anything that has some deeper spots is worth tossing a worm in or whatever.

My Fishbrain experience is posting a bass/trout of any size and having 10 dipshits from my area asking exact catch spot. I'm happy to say the general body of water and area but some of these spots I hiked distances you should never hike in waders while it's 90 out, let me have something to myself :(

Yeah that sounds about right, lol. I'm not even talking about the people (yet), I mean stuff like how the web and mobile versions of the thing don't have the same features (and seem not to share configuration even)

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Taking a weekend trip to Caddo Lake in east Texas here in a month. Anyone got any expert tips for fishing flooded forests?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Syano posted:

Taking a weekend trip to Caddo Lake in east Texas here in a month. Anyone got any expert tips for fishing flooded forests?

I have fished it many times. It’s one of those lakes where everything looks great , so finding the fish can be hard. I would suggest a chatterbait in both bright red and a natural color . Flipping the trees might be the play as well. Fish are either going to be spawning or staging to spawn, so it could be a good trip.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I guess the spawn is on. Caught a shitload of bass early this afternoon. Some decent sized ones too. Just crushing the gooseberry Zoom trick worm.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Thinking of pairing a Daiwa BG4000 that I've got sitting around with an 8ft Ugly Stik Bigwater for a general purpose pier/jetty bait chucker. This is for Gulf of Mexico so target species would be red/black drum, snook, sheepshead, etc. Thinking of using 30lb braid for most of the spool, with a long topshot of 30-40lb mono (for stretch/abrasion resistance if anything runs under the pier), and a 40lb fluorocarbon high-low rig on top of that. The rod is rated for 20-40lb so I'm trying not to go any higher than that.

Whenever I come up with something with that many steps, I'm usually overthinking it. Should I just tie my rig directly on the mono?

Also, my parents' neighborhood has a community pond that is stocked with bluegill. I have an almost-3-year-old who loves doing stuff outside. Now that the weather is warming up, I'm seeing cheap cane poles popping up at the store. Problem is there's no dock or other structure to get out over deeper water, and I'm not sure how steep the dropoff at the bank is. Considering I never once caught a fish on a cane pole as a kid, is this a fools' errand until my kid is old enough to handle a youth rod that can cast a bit?

(There are other places we can go, so I'm not writing off the cane pole entirely)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thinking of pairing a Daiwa BG4000 that I've got sitting around with an 8ft Ugly Stik Bigwater for a general purpose pier/jetty bait chucker. This is for Gulf of Mexico so target species would be red/black drum, snook, sheepshead, etc. Thinking of using 30lb braid for most of the spool, with a long topshot of 30-40lb mono (for stretch/abrasion resistance if anything runs under the pier), and a 40lb fluorocarbon high-low rig on top of that. The rod is rated for 20-40lb so I'm trying not to go any higher than that.

Whenever I come up with something with that many steps, I'm usually overthinking it. Should I just tie my rig directly on the mono?

Also, my parents' neighborhood has a community pond that is stocked with bluegill. I have an almost-3-year-old who loves doing stuff outside. Now that the weather is warming up, I'm seeing cheap cane poles popping up at the store. Problem is there's no dock or other structure to get out over deeper water, and I'm not sure how steep the dropoff at the bank is. Considering I never once caught a fish on a cane pole as a kid, is this a fools' errand until my kid is old enough to handle a youth rod that can cast a bit?

(There are other places we can go, so I'm not writing off the cane pole entirely)
Get the cane pole. I've caught tons on them, even as an adult. Especially this time of year the bluegills will be on spawning beds really shallow and hyper aggressive. Perfect for kids.

Your rig sounds good. You're not overthinking it. You want low-vis fluoro on your rig, mono for the reasons you state, and braid to cast further.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Best deal for who, Fishbrain :thunk:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Hey fishing thread! I think I may have posted in here awhile back, but mainly posted in the ask/tell version.

I mainly fish walleye, northern pike, and panfish in Minnesota. But I’m super psyched because I’m going on a trip to northern Ontario in two weeks to chase some giant pike and maybe some lake trout too!

I caught a 42.5” northern at this lodge in the fall, and they get them in the 45-46” range up there!

Also, I picked up a Garmin Livescope the other day and holy crap is it amazing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Hey fishing thread! I think I may have posted in here awhile back, but mainly posted in the ask/tell version.

I mainly fish walleye, northern pike, and panfish in Minnesota. But I’m super psyched because I’m going on a trip to northern Ontario in two weeks to chase some giant pike and maybe some lake trout too!

I caught a 42.5” northern at this lodge in the fall, and they get them in the 45-46” range up there!

Also, I picked up a Garmin Livescope the other day and holy crap is it amazing.

Livescope is a blessing and a loving curse.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Just looking at Livescope and remembering my late uncle's fish finder in the 90s that looked more like a gameboy game than anything else

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
My FIL sneers at me all the time because of the EchoMap I have on my kayak. I can only imagine what he would say if I got a live scope (which I intend to do one day). My counterpoint is always that A)I have usually a block of 2-3 hours to fish and I need to maximize my time on the water if catching fish is my goal and B)Bass are much more pressured and generally harder to catch than they were 40 years ago I'm not going to just stay glued to the shore when there are schools of fish out in 20, 30, 40, etc feet of water and quite frankly you have to have electronics to find those fish unless youve been fishing a particular lake for 10 years and just instinctively know where the deep water structure is

Syano fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 18, 2022

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

it's ok for people to like different things. fish how you want on your own boat

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'm going to be traveling through Florida with a fishing kayak with NO fishfinder for a few days next month and I'd like to catch a peacock bass. Is this realistically possible for a complete stranger to the area?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Chatted about this a little bit in the discord but figured I'd collect thoughts here

All morning in a lake and the stream feeding it I was seeing stocker trout hitting bugs on the surface and ignoring everything I tried (worm and garlic powerbait under a float and off the bottom, fuschia inline spoon, orange and gold rooster tail)

Not sure if this is one of those situations where I just need some other color/styles of spinners to try or I should be looking for a new trick

Edit- I forget the sizes I have but I was def thinking "do i need a smaller lure for these fish/this behavior pattern" vs "Don't feel like I can cast a tiny spoon v far"

the yeti fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 19, 2022

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Launched in Caddo lake this morning in Buzzard Bay and fished for about 5 hours and completely skunked. Graph was completely useless. EVERY place we went was 5-8 feet with 2 foot of grass up from the bottom and no discernable structure besides the hundreds of thousands of cypress trees. There was also a big tournament on the lake today and we had to contend with that, which they were super friendly and all but it just made for a busy lake. A couple of folks we talked to said that the bass were on beds, which normally you would think "ok thats good I know what to do". Problem is with Caddo lake is that basically the entire 28000 acre lake has about 1 full foot of mush as the bottom. Seriously, we made the mistake of dropping anchor at one point and we almost couldnt recover it because it brought up about 75 pounds of gunk with it. So anyways, with mush bottom like that, the bass spawn on cypress knees most of the time (apparently) and you basically have to stealth in and flip/pitch/sidearm/underhand cast and HIT the tree trunk to even get them to think about biting. And then you have to do it over and over and over and over. One of the tournament dudes we talked to said that basically on Caddo you just flip tree trunks and let the law of probability take over. So we flipped tree trunks as best we could but just weren't accurate enough. Fully 75% of our casts were landing where the fish weren't going to commit. Made for a long day. On the bright side, man what a unique and beautiful lake.

Syano fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 20, 2022

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I did my first bass fishing of the year and caught a 9 1/2 pound largemouth. Its probably going to be my only bass fishing of the year.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Sickening posted:

I did my first bass fishing of the year and caught a 9 1/2 pound largemouth. Its probably going to be my only bass fishing of the year.

sure as poo poo would be for me, you'll never top that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

sure as poo poo would be for me, you'll never top that

She was only 23 inches long but had a girth of 20 1/2 inches. Just a insane pig of a fish.