Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

don't east russians basically hate putin for the most part?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Seriously, a Russian gopnick in their natural adidas plumage is a modern day symbol of Russia. Seeing that piece of culture wane away would be a crime.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

don't east russians basically hate putin for the most part?

East Russia is where Putin most frequently has to sack elected governors and appoint replacements.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Alchenar posted:

Russia has five military districts. The Western (Zapad) is the one that has received the lion's share of modernisation so is the most 'fighty' and leading the axis attacking Kiev and assessed by many to be the center of gravity of Russia's advance.

All four land districts have been mobilised and are participating and their formations have their own first letter embalzened on their vehicles, we are probably seeing more Z's than anything else because the Kiev area is producing the lion's share of social media stuff.

Why does nenetsia not get a district?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Don't worry. New domestic producer of track suits will be up and running soon

zadidas.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dante posted:

This look like a russian remake of the 2002 budget movie Equilibrium

Putin: Ukrainians will welcome us with open arms. As saviours. Calmly. Coolly. Entirely without incident.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1500942396535840772?s=20&t=4EYHf9cVjgu-TPnc7ok_vA

Sorry, :nms: for convoy being blown up.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

We will give you your track suits if every oligarch sends 3 pigeons or sparrows to Kiev.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Putin: Ukrainians will welcome us with open arms. As saviours. Calmly. Coolly. Entirely without incident.

goddamn that is pretty good. Someone should make a clip where each of the motorcycle/trenchcoat guys has image of a BMP stuck on it as it gets shot by his guns (which are now javelins).

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
How do they keep getting AA getting blown up by A.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why does nenetsia not get a district?

Northern Fleet HQ is where all the boomers are, Russia quite sensibly decided that the navy should be in charge of all the military infrastructure up there (Sensibly for a country that is sufficiently self-aware of how corrupt it is that if it gave the army the budget to for protecting the nuclear subs then Very Bad things would happen).

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

isn't the venezuelan oil sector a hosed up mess of broken equipment and procedures? iirc last year russia looked into taking over some chunk of it and backed away, probably because the cost of repair to get the oil wouldn't be worth the price of the oil. like i dont think it would really be possible for venezuela to increase production

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220114-venezuela-the-decline-of-an-oil-giant-in-crisis

that's part of what any deal would have to fix

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Security Council meeting going on now - Russia's rep already spoke, it consisted of what you would expect.
https://twitter.com/julianborger/status/1500939069412491270?t=yjNI9va43vGvLrKWsuxWRw&s=19

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/DarthPutinKGB/status/1500837526529060867?s=20&t=uiz-7JjVR8i_zSjwtfoh1A
Seems embarrassing for Reuters

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

slow hands posted:

Sorry for the dumb question but what would the implications of Russia defaulting be? Even worse devaluation of their currency?

Destroys any incentive for anyone to buy their bonds, so eliminates their ability to raise new funds (particularly new foreign currency) on the open market. Basically kills a massive line of credit, because everyone knows that they don't pay their I.O.U's.

They'll still have others, like war bonds, going begging to China etc, but they'll need to find something since their reserves can't possibly survive a serious conflict - wars run on money, lots of money. No state can run a serious conflict without securing huge loans from somewhere.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

KitConstantine posted:

Security Council meeting going on now - Russia's rep already spoke, it consisted of what you would expect.
https://twitter.com/julianborger/status/1500939069412491270?t=yjNI9va43vGvLrKWsuxWRw&s=19

They aren't in charge of this meeting correct?

Also, is there any teeth to that Ukraine argument that the Russian Federation is not the legitimate successor to the Soviet Union's seat? Because we did those shenanigans with China and Taiwan before...

I don't know how much it would even do to boot Russia from the Security Council at this point, I mean possibly further minor humilation?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 7, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TulliusCicero posted:

Also, is there any teeth to that Ukraine argument that the Russian Federation is the legitmate successor to the Soviet Union's seat? Because we did those shenanigans with China and Taiwan before...

I don't knos how much it would even do to boot Russia from the Security Council at this point, I mean posdibly further minor humilation?

Practically speaking no, as there's decades of precedent whereby the entire UN and its member states, including Ukraine, treated the Russian Federation as the legitimate successor to the Soviet Union.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Antigravitas posted:

How do they keep getting AA getting blown up by A.

Russian incompetence goes from A to Z

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

Also, is there any teeth to that Ukraine argument that the Russian Federation is not the legitimate successor to the Soviet Union's seat? Because we did those shenanigans with China and Taiwan before...

I don't know how much it would even do to boot Russia from the Security Council at this point, I mean posdibly further minor humilation?

They have nuclear weapons, they are not gonna get booted.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

Also, is there any teeth to that Ukraine argument that the Russian Federation is the legitmate successor to the Soviet Union's seat? Because we did those shenanigans with China and Taiwan before...

I don't knos how much it would even do to boot Russia from the Security Council at this point, I mean posdibly further minor humilation?

We are absolutely moving towards the point where Russia gets booted from the security council, but that's a long-term diplomatic effort. They need to ramp up their war crimes, maybe a false flag nuclear attack, while having their military prestige and economy crushed. When China and India turn on them then there can absolutely be an international consensus to strip them of their seat. It's still going to take years, there's no one weird trick.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't know how much it would even do to boot Russia from the Security Council at this point, I mean posdibly further minor humilation?

No, and furthermore the Security Council and the UN only has the limited function/authority it has because all major powers agree to sit on it due to having a veto. Removing Russia from the security council would just mean the UN is weaker.

Morrow posted:

We are absolutely moving towards the point where Russia gets booted from the security council, but that's a long-term diplomatic effort. They need to ramp up their war crimes, maybe a false flag nuclear attack, while having their military prestige and economy crushed. When China and India turn on them then there can absolutely be an international consensus to strip them of their seat. It's still going to take years, there's no one weird trick.
No, permanent Security Council seats aren't an award for being a Good Nation or something. It's an institution for great power diplomacy that only works because action requires unanimous consent (or abstention, which is basically the same thing).

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I feel like at this point India would just take Russia's seat if it came down to it.

But yeah I really don't see it happening

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Cocaine Bear posted:

Russian incompetence goes from A to Z

However, they are pretty good at the other 6 letters.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The high oil prices are offsetting some of the damage sanctions are causing to russias ability to finance the war so lowering oil prices isn’t just about helping peoples commute it’s also important in terms of the point of sanctions.

That said it puts Biden in the position of getting to run on high gas prices or on being soft on the two biggest Republican boogeymans in the world in November and I don’t envy him for that

That's a good point I hadn't considered re: sanctions. But yeah, they're going to hit him whether or not they're lifting oil caps so might as well go for the least worst option.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dante posted:

No, and furthermore the Security Council and the UN only has the limited function/authority it has because all major powers agree to sit on it due to having a veto. Removing Russia from the security council would just mean the UN is weaker.

yeah the UN is not supposed to be supranational, it only works in the capacity of a forum for communication and coordination, russia's seat on the security council doesn't really give them more power that they don't already have

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
:nms:https://censor.net/ua/video_news/3322626/bash_benzovoz_otoyi_sho_z_pritsepom_bash_beter_gory_suka_v_adu_ukrayinski_voyiny_znyschuyut_tehniku

Some good footage showing Ukrainians hitting a convoy with their locally produced laser guided ATGM Stugna-P.
Filmed from the control panel LCD view. 3 missiles shot in the clip, 2nd missile was a dud/landed flat shortly after launch. Hit a fuel truck and a BTR

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1500915756237737991

russia is very hosed

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Are the Bayraktar drones relatively quiet? I'm surprised that people seem to be chilling next to obviously tempting drone targets while the drone circles overhead.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

radmonger posted:

However, they are pretty good at the other 6 letters.

Z is 9th in their alphabet, so other 24.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Morrow posted:

I don't ever see Russia getting booted from the Security Council, absent them using actual nuclear weapons in a non-defensive capacity. Does it require a vote of the General Assembly, or the Security Council itself, to amend the UN Charter? If it's the Security Council, then China would most certainly veto it, less so if it takes the General Assembly.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Looks like they know how to pick out the vehicles carrying high explosives so the surrounding vehicles get covered in burning poo poo too. Was that a SAM carrier or something?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dante posted:

Are the Bayraktar drones relatively quiet? I'm surprised that people seem to be chilling next to obviously tempting drone targets while the drone circles overhead.

Modern drones that carry ordnance like that are high and quiet enough to where you often cannot hear or see them with the naked ear/eye, even if someone calls you and tells you that it is over your position right now.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Well more like certain bondholders are very hosed to be honest.

mlmp08 posted:

Modern drones that carry ordnance like that are high and quiet enough to where you often cannot hear or see them with the naked ear/eye, even if someone calls you and tells you that it is over your position right now.
Very interesting, I didn't know that. War is hell but drone technology is impressive.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I don't ever see Russia getting booted from the Security Council, absent them using actual nuclear weapons in a non-defensive capacity. Does it require a vote of the General Assembly, or the Security Council itself, to amend the UN Charter? If it's the Security Council, then China would most certainly veto it, less so if it takes the General Assembly.

Based on the corruption we've seen so far, we ought to take a look at sale history on molotok. ru to see if their arsenal hasn't been pawned off.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dante posted:

Yeah, plus they’re small and operating at a fairly high altitude.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Looks like they know how to pick out the vehicles carrying high explosives so the surrounding vehicles get covered in burning poo poo too. Was that a SAM carrier or something?

Yeah it was a SAM system, clearly not being used very effectively!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dante posted:

If all your AA systems keep breaking down/ getting stolen then there's really not a lot you can do

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dante posted:

They fly high, and if you stand in the middle of a column of vehicles with running diesel engines you will not hear many things.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Anubis posted:

I'm not shocked, but I am disappointed.

New thread title?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Intelligence agencies from across NATO have been watching Russia gently caress with their countries for years now. Trump, the 1/6 insurrection, the truck Nazis in Ottawa, Brexit and so many other major threats to democracy where targeted Russian propaganda and even active Russian intelligence assets were involved. But the agencies' job is just to report on this poo poo, and it's up to other branches of their governments to actually react to it. And large numbers of elected representatives are now either buying into Russian-promoted fringe propaganda, or are full-blown Russian assets themselves. So the CIA/NSA, CSIS, MI5, and a host of equivalent agencies have had to stew in their frustration as they've dutifully pointed out the Russian fuckery, and watched nothing be done about it.

Now suddenly they have a chance to not only give Russia a bloody nose by supplying SIGINT and command and control to the Ukrainians, but also to signal boost Russia showing their whole rear end to the world. I can only imagine the palpable aura of glee as they go about this.
I hadn't considered this, but I think it's a very plausible analysis. Thanks for sharing it!

Those are some great Evil Overlord Thug outfits they have going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

TulliusCicero posted:

If all your AA systems keep breaking down/ getting stolen then there's really not a lot you can do

Not to mention "Exploding".