Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A Festivus Miracle posted:

? Japan, a nation which hasn't actually fought anything that isn't a Somali in a speed boat in almost 80 years, is not going suddenly invade Russia Sakhalin and the Kurils. That would be fukken wild.

But goddamn, you're not wrong. Right now is the best time since the Fall of the Soviet Union to get some rightful clay back.

Yeah this is Japan carving out a claim for the peace talks they see coming in about a month when Russia is on the ropes with no air force left. This isn't a bet they'll be able to take them by force, this is a bet that in a month or two Russia will be begging to be allowed to end this and willing to make all sorts of international concessions to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
That tweet seems to have been deleted or something. It's still embedded for me but clicking through doesn't work. Maybe it was wrong and they retracted it?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I would like to believe, but I don't. This is going to be some Dolly Parton reading program type thing. If it happens at all.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah this is Japan carving out a claim for the peace talks they see coming in about a month when Russia is on the ropes with no air force left. This isn't a bet they'll be able to take them by force, this is a bet that in a month or two Russia will be begging to be allowed to end this and willing to make all sorts of international concessions to do so.

For what it's worth after the Russian Army's performance thus far I'd put money on the JSDF if it came down to it

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I would like to believe, but I don't. This is going to be some Dolly Parton reading program type thing. If it happens at all.

Wait what happened with the Dolly program?

Also let me say that 5 million bucks seems really cheap to do this. Like it triggers the "private citizen affordable" range that maybe me and a couple friends could convince a bank to lend that much money. You can buy hotels in Belize for a tenth that price though...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

? Japan, a nation which hasn't actually fought anything that isn't a Somali in a speed boat in almost 80 years, is not going suddenly invade Russia Sakhalin and the Kurils. That would be fukken wild.

But goddamn, you're not wrong. Right now is the best time since the Fall of the Soviet Union to get some rightful clay back.

They don't claim Sakhalin, but Japan has claimed the southern Kurils since WW2. Every map of Japan in Japan has them (the "Northern Territories") prominently displayed. This isn't new, really.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Japan's also been making this claim since the end of WW2, it's nothing new. They just now have a reason to be publicly mad at Russia again and hope to get something out of it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Flesnolk posted:

For what it's worth after the Russian Army's performance thus far I'd put money on the JSDF if it came down to it

I've watched a lot of documentaries about the Japanese military and I'm not betting against any nation with that many different flying laser robots

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've watched a lot of documentaries about the Japanese military and I'm not betting against any nation with that many different flying laser robots

Those are all constantly in use fighting off the skyscraper-sized fire-breathing dinosaurs though

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I spent a lot of time in joint training with the JGSDF and they are disciplined and fairly well equipped. I also spent a bunch of time in Hokkaido and the number of Russian fishing boats that sell fish there is huge.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Those are all constantly in use fighting off the skyscraper-sized fire-breathing dinosaurs though

Well yeah, they're all veteran units

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats Putin! You're Number 1!

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1500936199812575236

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Hopefully it helps to cripple the lunatic running Chechnya currently. This is a guy who as a way of enforcing terror would shove bottles of peoples asses and I’ve seen an x-ray from one of them. And being torn apart by all those he screwed over the years and you have very very ribbons driven thoughts would be a good thing, still possibly too good for him.

Martial Prolapse

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

shame on an IGA posted:

Martial Prolapse

:cawg:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

shame on an IGA posted:

Martial Prolapse

Not an empty quote

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Too bad Putin doesn't collect Hennessy lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

yo russia where's my 200 bucks?!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Soul Dentist posted:

Wait what happened with the Dolly program?

So, the imagination library was started in her home county funded by herself. Over the years, other people wanted in on it. So her foundation works with other localities to secure funding for their own areas, which goes to the foundation to cover the books for that location. Her foundation basically handles the administration and distribution, the local groups pay for it all.

So the dolly library thing is still a net good, but it's a very misleading amount of good that is personally attributed. Which is the comparison I was making to this rich german (assuming it actually happens)

I have very little faith in rich people.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

Martial Prolapse

:drat:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SavageMessiah posted:

That tweet seems to have been deleted or something. It's still embedded for me but clicking through doesn't work. Maybe it was wrong and they retracted it?

No, twitter is just having issues everywhere at the moment. Definitely no ongoing events that it might be correlated with.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

M_Gargantua posted:

No, twitter is just having issues everywhere at the moment. Definitely no ongoing events that it might be correlated with.

Issues beyond "being twitter", I guess.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What do you call Belorus and Russia fueding?

Marital prolapse

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1500876027395989524

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Spoiler: We're now calling them cope cages

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Since tankies no longer applies, and the Russian government has been responsible for funding right wing neofascist movements around the globe, can we just call then what they actually are:loving fascist fucks? Left wing people get to be strasserites because the kind of morons who excuse the human rights abuses of regimes like China and Russia because "USA bad :qq:" love obscure idiot labels.

"Pooties."

"Donbasses" might work, too.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Low info question but what's the closest NATO equivalent to S-400s?

Matching up stat-for-stat but not necessarily real-world performance, the SM-6. Which is probably why AEGIS Ashore gets Russia all :argh:.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 7, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1500876502853898252

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

How long until someone edit the Javelin article to list it's penetration in Cope Cages.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

RFC2324 posted:

Tankie has always been a pro-ussr thing, it refers to the tanks in Fulda Gap, not Tiennamen Square

Doesn't it refer to the ones that smashed Hungary?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Cope cages aren't even working. They could slap 2" of steel on those roofs and it probably wouldn't even make a difference

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oh hell yeah, OD Green is back in style, folks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWar...tm_source=share

There's another one with Paladins and MLRS floating around as well. How long do you think those have been in storage? Probably at least 25 years?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"Russia will reverse engineer javelin! We will make it cheaper!"

*russian javelin crashes into tank, spilling party streamers and confetti. The two stage explosives having been sold by the army captain to pay for his mistress' BMW*

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Western banks are predicting that Russia will be unable to meet it's obligations as early as mid-April . At that point, if not in the next few weeks, I think the war will have to end. Since I posted about peace negotiations earlier, at that point Zelensky could probably ask for literally anything he wanted: Crimea, end of LPR/DPR, end of Russian support for Lukashenko, reparations in kind (because the Russian Ruble is going to be smoldering ruin if Russia defaults), a cake, a stripper, and probably Putin being pantsted on national TV.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 7, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Western banks are predicting that Russia will be unable to meet it's obligations as early as mid-April . At that point, if not in the next few weeks, I think the war will have to end. Since I posted about peace negotiations earlier, at that point Zelensky could probably ask for literally anything he wanted: Crimea, end of LPR/DPR, end of Russian support for Lukashenko, reparations in kind (because the Russian Ruble is going to be smoldering ruin if Russia defaults), a cake, a stripper, and probably Putin being pantsted on national TV.

I think you're being wildly overoptimistic here

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

M_Gargantua posted:

I think you're being wildly overoptimistic here
If Jenkins over in B Co. can get $40k and choice of duty station, I'm sure we can get somebody to pull a guy's pants down.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Interesting, I wonder who put those brutal kleptocracies in power in the former USSR the first place

Mods wipe this if you think it's stirring poo poo up, but Smeg, I'm genuinely curious to hear what point you think you're making here?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'd buy that for a dollar!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

Doesn't it refer to the ones that smashed Hungary?

Yeah, it’s about sending the tanks to crush the Hungarian uprising in 1956, not the Fulda Gap. The original “Stalin did nothing wrong” hot take.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.understandingwar.org/si...arch%202022.pdf

An article that just got posted about the Russian mobilization, reserves, and conscription system for those interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWar...utm_name=iossmf
Non PDF version.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://www.understandingwar.org/si...arch%202022.pdf

An article that just got posted about the Russian mobilization, reserves, and conscription system for those interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWar...utm_name=iossmf
Non PDF version.

Absolute pro click.

The ISW newsletters are good to subscribe to for keeping up to date on war stuff.

Also The Soufan Center, is equally good to subscribe to for everything war, terrorism and international relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Scratch another General

https://twitter.com/EnglishUkraine/status/1500956632787869705?s=20&t=k1Twi1pvQcNm8UScHmukFg

And scratch some Chechens

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1500969431496855564?s=20&t=aQ_wanMb8lrqSIUaOp47Sw