Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

derra posted:

A BLU tank can use white wind to hold everything easily for fast group ups into freeze deaths.. I was doing sub 4 min Aurum Vale runs for that recent mogtome event without any sacrificing shenanigans.

Wish there was something I needed on the vendor, but after the earrings I really have nothing left to buy.

MGP and Maps are pretty good rewards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
For a while back before loot boxes were a thing, I amused myself by farming The Eyes Have It and Go Go Gorgimera for the minions, because both are vulnerable to freeze/shatter and are fairly difficult to defeat otherwise. Made probably less money off it than I would doing anything else, but it was fun.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Madmarker posted:

MGP and Maps are pretty good rewards

Yeah, but 3 mil (with like everything in the glam dresser) and 200 mil is good enough for me. Not wprth going out of my way for.

Also the maps on the website are still zonureskin, not sure if they'll be updated.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So Twitter artists are posting all this gorgeous art with their mc in the new artwork. Anyone seen any of a highdude?

Example

https://twitter.com/4threset/status/1500912628864262144?t=FNDY_2qELKPIESeuobV-ag&s=19

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

super-redguy posted:

Aurum Vale was a Mogtome dungeon two Mogtome events ago and was super popular.

Four BLUs can nail it in 4 to 6 minutes.

It's definitely going to beat out the others for farming.
Copperbell Hard might be competitive because the second and final bosses are both vulnerable to level 5 death, although the first is not and doing obviously you would rather final sting the last boss than the first one.

derra posted:

Also the maps on the website are still zonureskin, not sure if they'll be updated.
I would way rather get zonureskins than worthless level 90 maps.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So how quick is it to get BLU up to the point where these shenanigans work? I knew you can powerlevel it pretty easily, but what about getting the spells? I was putting it off until I cleared the MSQ, but I'm only at 84 now, so I'm guessing I'll need to sidetrack if I want it for tome farming.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Antivehicular posted:

So how quick is it to get BLU up to the point where these shenanigans work? I knew you can powerlevel it pretty easily, but what about getting the spells? I was putting it off until I cleared the MSQ, but I'm only at 84 now, so I'm guessing I'll need to sidetrack if I want it for tome farming.

Spells are kinda annoying, but I guessing the PF will start to have a lot of parties for needed/useful spells as the event gets closer.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The shenanigan-enabling spells are easy to get. They’re all easy, really, but some just take slightly longer to get a group going for. But for the ones that mess with these events, there won’t be an issue.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Antivehicular posted:

Leveling is lightning fast. For spells, there are a few that you should grab that make getting the rest much easier. Triple Trident and Tingle are both available from the overworld mob the Ebisu Catfish in Yanxia, for example. Tingle followed by a TT will be a core part of your single target rotation and will make it so much easier to get other spells. You can go to the Sea of Clouds and get Whistle from Dhamels to kick TT up a notch even more.

After that, either ask in FC chat and then set up a PF for four people to start. Go get dungeon spells. Then go up to 8 people and get trials spells. People are generally eager to help because blue mage is fun and they need spells, too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Missile is probably one of the more annoying ones to get because people don't bother doing Hildibrand to unlock Battle at the Big Keep (for shame!) and the only other source is one of the Omega Raids - a 20 level difference, and much more of a threatening fight to boot.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I feel like they should remove the abilities being gated behind class quests. Especially the Stormblood ones where you have to do 5 or 6 quests for just one ability. usually it isn't that big a deal to skip it but levelling DRK to 90 without TBN was annoying. It made my healers have to work in dungeons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CJ posted:

I feel like they should remove the abilities being gated behind class quests. Especially the Stormblood ones where you have to do 5 or 6 quests for just one ability. usually it isn't that big a deal to skip it but levelling DRK to 90 without TBN was annoying. It made my healers have to work in dungeons.

The job quests are good to do for both story and the experience, though. If you don't do them contemporary with the level, you miss out on the latter.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CJ posted:

I guess I have to ask why you did that instead of doing the quests and just unlocking them. If you don't care about the story you can just skip cutscenes.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Holy hell, why would you not do the DRK quests?? :psyduck:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CJ posted:

thatsbait.gif

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

the fight after the level 90 trial is hilarious I did it as BLM, so it was bunch of inept flailing while the story had to pretend I was actually putting up a fight because I'm like 90% sure the outcome is pre-determined. Or at least Zenos only had half as many health bars as I did

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ziddar posted:

Holy hell, why would you not do the DRK quests?? :psyduck:

Because you have to go through 5 or 6 quests just for one ability. Getting one ability per quest is one thing but having to go through 10 levels of quests just for one ability is ridiculous when i just want to do dungeons. For most classes it isn't a big deal, but DRK it's really noticeable that one of your bread and butter abilities is locked behind it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

A Moose posted:

the fight after the level 90 trial is hilarious I did it as BLM, so it was bunch of inept flailing while the story had to pretend I was actually putting up a fight because I'm like 90% sure the outcome is pre-determined. Or at least Zenos only had half as many health bars as I did

It is possible to fail that fight if you are bad enough.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

CJ posted:

Because you have to go through 5 or 6 quests just for one ability. Getting one ability per quest is one thing but having to go through 10 levels of quests just for one ability is ridiculous when i just want to do dungeons. For most classes it isn't a big deal, but DRK it's really noticeable that one of your bread and butter abilities is locked behind it.

almost every class has useful abilities "locked" behind job quests. just do the quests, op

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

CJ posted:

drat you suck

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Most of BLM’s central kit is locked behind job quests. This is the case for every job that has levels between 30 and 70. Do your job quests.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Antivehicular posted:

It takes about two hours to go from 1 to 70 with a friend power leveling you. Each spell takes anywhere from a few minutes to an eternity to learn. You can learn a lot of spells from random world mobs (search here for "world", ignore any A or S ranks), which usually takes no more than 2-3 kills. Dungeon/raid/trial spells are another story, if you do them synced you have a 100% chance of learning it as long as it casts the spell and you are alive when it dies. You can learn the spells unsynced but some have very low learning rates, so I highly recommend learning most of them synced. You can learn almost every spell from a dungeon, raid, or trial solo synced.

Get some spells from world mobs (Flying Sardine, Sonic Boom, Exuviation, Whistle, Basic Instinct, Aetherial Spark, Toad Oil, Sticky Tongue, Bristle, and Blood Drain are quick to get.) then talk to Gaheel in uldah. Get totems, talk to him again, get more totems. Then go get ram's voice and dragon's voice from Cutter's Cry; do it solo synced with Basic Instinct and Mighty Guard. Get Tingle & Trident from world mobs, then Pom Cure from the White Mage in Thornmarch Hard (you only need to kill the White Mage; I don't remember if I did it synced or not), Ultravibration from a world mob, Aetherial Mimicry from killing the Corruption adds on the first boss in Pharos Sirius Hard, Gobskin from the A10 trash mobs, Diamondback from the Horde Armored Dragons in Steps of Faith, and Missile from Battle in the Big Keep unsynced.

You could run aurum vale with a BLU crew with just those, really at that point you're ready to take on the world. You could solo almost any dungeon synced, and many trials too. Song of Torment (psa: the 2nd & 3rd bosses in that dungen are vulnerable to death effects, see here for more exciting information about death), Level 5 Death, Feather Rain, Shock Strike, and Final Sting should be priorities. You should also start doing BLU quests and Masked Carnivale stages as some extremely important spells are locked behind Masked Carnivale completion, do at least 10 carnivale stages for Moon Flute. Keep an eye on PF for BLU spells from level 70 trials/raids, you can do some of them solo synced but it's not easy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CJ posted:

i recommend getting the ability instead of not getting it

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CJ posted:

loving lmao

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

CJ posted:

Hey

Hey there

That's not very nice to do to your healers.

(Yes I know this is bait but if you did seriously do that, gently caress off into the sun, I have spent too many dungeons stressing myself out healing half-assed tanks and it sucks and makes my day a little worse.)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bait or not DRK just feels squishy after playing GNB. I can't imagine purposely avoiding one it's mits even if it is a pain to unlock.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Bait or not DRK just feels squishy after playing GNB. I can't imagine purposely avoiding one it's mits even if it is a pain to unlock.

It's absolutely the squishiest tank at the moment. It didn't feel that way in SHB but its always hard to tell if that's objectively true or my memory is just a little hazy.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

TheWorldsaStage posted:

So Twitter artists are posting all this gorgeous art with their mc in the new artwork. Anyone seen any of a highdude?

Example

https://twitter.com/4threset/status/1500912628864262144?t=FNDY_2qELKPIESeuobV-ag&s=19

What are these, by the way? I’m an artist, I have twitter, I’m a ff14 dweeb, I sort of want to make one but I’m not sure if they’re referencing something or they’re just cool.

I’ve made two recipes out of the ff14 cook book so far. The farmer’s breakfast is super good but the lentils and chestnut stew is incredible

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Yeah, going through endwalker leveling dungeons, DRK is by far the squishest. I don't know if its because everyone is bad at it, or they're just straight up missing a mitigation button, but I do basically 0 dps healing a DRK. A MNK could probably do as much. After a big pull, if the DPS is slacking, I need to stop and wait for cooldowns, completely negating the purpose of big pulls.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I noticed way more variance within jobs than i did between any two different tank jobs when i was leveling my healers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bean posted:

What are these, by the way? I’m an artist, I have twitter, I’m a ff14 dweeb, I sort of want to make one but I’m not sure if they’re referencing something or they’re just cool.

I’ve made two recipes out of the ff14 cook book so far. The farmer’s breakfast is super good but the lentils and chestnut stew is incredible

it's the 6.1 key art, which has the generic trailer WoL in that setup

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bean posted:

The new 6.1 art!

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1500123983609356293?t=4lb-fxiPISlL2R-qUKt0aA&s=19

E: Cheetah beat me!

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

CJ posted:

LMAO you rule

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

A Moose posted:

Yeah, going through endwalker leveling dungeons, DRK is by far the squishest. I don't know if its because everyone is bad at it, or they're just straight up missing a mitigation button, but I do basically 0 dps healing a DRK. A MNK could probably do as much. After a big pull, if the DPS is slacking, I need to stop and wait for cooldowns, completely negating the purpose of big pulls.

The two big problems are that Living Dead might as well not exist for sustained damage from trash packs, one of their mitigation spells is magic only which is mostly useless for trash packs, and all the other tanks got huge buffs to their short cooldown mitigation ability while DRKs got an extra button that gives 10% mitigation.

Another thing to consider is that TBN is flat mitigation rather than percentage, it doesn't scale with the amount of damage you take. I don't know how the math works out but you need to compare a 25% HP shield (and the 10% mitigation of Oblation) with the amount of damage you would mitigate with say Heart of Corundum giving 15% mitigation for 8 seconds, 15% for 4 seconds, and finishing with a 900 potency heal. If you compare it to Warrior's equivalent ability, Raw Intuition in dungeons is effectively 6 seconds of invulnerability and a 100% heal because it fully heals you on trash packs with each aoe ability you use. For obvious reasons i can't say how TBN feels in practice, but it's not suited for trash packs that tend to do high sustained damage.

CJ fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 8, 2022

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I dunno, I just use TBN on cooldown in trash pulls and barf out a bunch of free Flood of Shadows.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's not really free since you have to spend the same amount of MP on TBN. It's just a DPS loss if your shield isn't fully consumed that none of the other tanks have to deal with. It would be cool if TBN cost less MP so it was damage positive for using TBN well, but i'm guessing they are worried about people intentionally standing in mechanics for a dps gain.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Why are you talking about the utility of a skill you don't have and have gone out of your way not to learn

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't need to use the ability to read the tooltip and see how much MP it costs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CJ posted:

It's not really free since you have to spend the same amount of MP on TBN. It's just a DPS loss if your shield isn't fully consumed that none of the other tanks have to deal with. It would be cool if TBN cost less MP so it was damage positive for using TBN well, but i'm guessing they are worried about people intentionally standing in mechanics for a dps gain.

It's exactly free because for the same MP as pressing a Damage button you Get Mitigation and A Damage button. That's literally the definition of a free extra perk

CJ posted:

I don't need to use the ability to read the tooltip and see how much MP it costs.

You do however need to have it to actually understand its usage and how good/bad it is. Otherwise you're just talking entirely out your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

CJ posted:

It's just a DPS loss if your shield isn't fully consumed that none of the other tanks have to deal with.

If your TBN isn't breaking either you're not pulling enough trash, the trash is already dead, or the content is lmao too easy anyway and the DPS loss doesn't matter.

Looking forward to the warrior who does 70-90 without inner release.