Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What in the world happened to this thread over the weekend? I leave you guys for three days and it's turned into chakra and locally sourced tire chat.

Ola posted:

Cross-posting from the EV realpost thread:

I just changed from Android to iPhone and the Tesla app is hugely more responsive. Not sure if it's really that big of a difference between operating systems or if it was just my old Moto G5 Plus that didn't support some protocol or something that made it less responsive. I had to wait for the app to get in touch with the car before it would accept commands, if I pressed something too early it might not send, or send it later, or multiple times if I thought the first one didn't go through. Does it work snappy with your Android or slow with your iPhone? Perhaps there's something else that's different.

For what it's worth I had the same exact experience. I've also noticed it with some other apps I use, like my golf app. I've decided to give up the ghost and join the iOS darkside. I hate it but it's clear most of their apps are better designed and more reliable.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Ola posted:

Cross-posting from the EV realpost thread:

I just changed from Android to iPhone and the Tesla app is hugely more responsive. Not sure if it's really that big of a difference between operating systems or if it was just my old Moto G5 Plus that didn't support some protocol or something that made it less responsive. I had to wait for the app to get in touch with the car before it would accept commands, if I pressed something too early it might not send, or send it later, or multiple times if I thought the first one didn't go through. Does it work snappy with your Android or slow with your iPhone? Perhaps there's something else that's different.

I wouldn't call it "fast" on my iPhone, but I've never used the Android side to have a point of comparison. In order for anything to happen, the car still has to wake up and start accepting commands from the app directly. My recollection is there's no server-side caching on Tesla's side; in order for things to happen the car has to receive an SMS command message to make a connection to the server, and then commands go essentially directly from phone to car, with the server only acting as a relay.

Even the minor annoyance of having to sit with an open app for a minute or so is a drat sight better than having to get into a cold car, though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've never used the iphone app but my first thought here was that someone got a new phone and has observed that things run faster on the new phone than they ran on the old phone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

I've never used the iphone app but my first thought here was that someone got a new phone and has observed that things run faster on the new phone than they ran on the old phone.

your phone’s chakras are never going to be more aligned than when it’s fresh out of the box

from there it’s all inevitably downhill, just basic science

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

Well, it's not computing that stuff locally on the phone. It's just sending a network message. But how you code that in the app can done in ways where it seems smoother and faster than others. But the car also responds very fast once it's sent. If you open the app right now to start the climate system, with the car presumably asleep, do you have to wait a few seconds for the button to become pressable?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ola posted:

Well, it's not computing that stuff locally on the phone. It's just sending a network message. But how you code that in the app can done in ways where it seems smoother and faster than others. But the car also responds very fast once it's sent. If you open the app right now to start the climate system, with the car presumably asleep, do you have to wait a few seconds for the button to become pressable?

no, I don't. I can mash the climate button before it connects to the car, and it enqueues the command, waits for the car to show up, and then sends it off.

The old version of the app, yeah, I had to wait for the car to wake up.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

no, I don't. I can mash the climate button before it connects to the car, and it enqueues the command, waits for the car to show up, and then sends it off.

The old version of the app, yeah, I had to wait for the car to wake up.

Gotcha. I'll try again with the old phone at some point, it was just a bit interesting that's all. The worst it's ever performed is still way better than what anyone else is doing.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

cruft posted:

I get what you're saying but my Pixel 6 takes ~12 seconds to load AA while my iPhone 11 takes ~3 seconds to load Carplay. Computing wise they're similar so I think there's more than just "new in box" in this situation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
EV thread got weiiiiiird again.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Question about preconditioning. Is preconditioning time measured in minutes, or tens of minutes? Also, I forget, but preconditioning is only a thing you do when the car is plugged in, right?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I wonder if there's a market in selling Monster oxygen-free copper charging cables with gold plated contacts and proprietary polymer casing to idiots for ridiculous amounts of money?

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

Every thread is a shitposting thread

Exactly, double check what site you're on

Kirios posted:

Computing wise they're similar so I think there's more than just "new in box" in this situation.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/iphone-12-benchmarks-this-destroys-every-android-phone

Apple cpu's are lightyears ahead of anything on the android side. They are so solid Apple computers are just using scaled up iPhone processors now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Apples to oranges (no pun intended) but I've noticed carplay in general is much better than AA, and I love my Android in general and hate iPhones. Smoother interface, faster etc.

I just got back from the grocery store, where I plugged in my Leaf for the free juice, and I had two old guys driving trucks approach me for info on EVs, charging etc. And ask me for my experiences.

I think sky rocketing gas prices are starting to make not EV people look at EVs.

Hopefully there won't be a run on Bolts before I can pick one up.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Hopefully there won't be a run on Bolts before I can pick one up.

Did GM finish making all the replacement batteries?

Now you've got me worrying that I'll never get mine.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

I think they will finish up the recall but it sure seems to me that they are putting their eggs in the Ultium basket. I almost think we will see the Equinox EV before Bolts get ramped back up based on what GM has done in the past.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Finger Prince posted:

Question about preconditioning. Is preconditioning time measured in minutes, or tens of minutes? Also, I forget, but preconditioning is only a thing you do when the car is plugged in, right?

Are we talking about preconditioning the battery for rapid charging or preconditioning the cabin to heat / cool?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

Oh snap, my recall status moved from "INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE." to "INCOMPLETE."!!!!

Apparently that means I have a battery, so I made an appointment with the service center for Thursday.

Wish me luck, nerds!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

Oh snap, my recall status moved from "INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE." to "INCOMPLETE."!!!!

Apparently that means I have a battery, so I made an appointment with the service center for Thursday.

Wish me luck, nerds!

I called about an hour ago to make sure they had batteries and they said they had six.

They just texted me saying they don't have any batteries in stock and they'd put in an order for one and let me know when it's arrived.

I mean, at least they told me the first person I talked to didn't know what was going on, before I drove all the way down there.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Charles posted:

Are we talking about preconditioning the battery for rapid charging or preconditioning the cabin to heat / cool?

The latter, and also I guess so you have maximum range availabile in cold weather, unless that's not a thing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

cruft posted:

Wish me luck, nerds!

Does your recall number end in 881? If so. Yep it's your turn.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tens of minutes. With the Mach-e if you precondition the battery before you leave the house you won’t have any of the power locked out due to cold battery, but pretty sure it’s like 20+ minutes to get it there. When I forget to set a departure time and just try preconditioning on the fly after ten minutes I’ve still got the bars saying that the battery is still cold.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Finger Prince posted:

The latter, and also I guess so you have maximum range availabile in cold weather, unless that's not a thing.

Warming up the cabin in an EV usually takes a couple minutes. Warming up the battery is a different story and can take 30-50 minutes depending on how cold soaked the whole thing is. Teslas can precondition the battery even when they aren't plugged in, but doing so will deplete more charge than just quickly warming the cabin then driving off and making due without regen till the pack warms up from driving.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Holy poo poo! Gasoline got really expensive! No wonder everybody's asking me about electric cars lately.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

The Tesla app is considerably less responsive for me on Android after the last (infamous) car update. I think something definitely changed in the fundamental architecture of connectivity routing, cause locking via app went from instant before to 7-10 seconds while still bluetooth connected. There's also an obnoxious fake-out "locked" icon that flips back to "unlocked" before finally confirming as locked.

I really don't like the new update for this, and also for removing the following from a single touch on the screen:
  • Defrost
  • Front seat heaters
  • Driver profile (recently returned, but only until starting the car)
  • Tire pressure
Screen haters are absolutely right IMO. No screen or voice commands will ever equal the climate control perfection of a mid-90s budget sedan with 3 dials and A/C button.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

cruft posted:

Holy poo poo! Gasoline got really expensive! No wonder everybody's asking me about electric cars lately.

Apparently there's still 10 stations in Finland where you can find 95E for barely under 2€/l. In most stations even diesel is above 2€.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah in the lower mainland BC Canada (the most expensive place for gas in the country not in the arctic) it is over $2CAD a litre now. People are going a little bananas.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

cruft posted:

I've been posting this on most of the FB threads bitching about gas prices:

Yeah, that's mean.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah, that's mean.

Until the up front cost of going electric stops being so much higher than gasoline, yeah, this is a dick move by a rich guy.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Is it really a rich guy flex if their EV pays off better than an ICE equivalent in 3-5 years?

Edit: I already calculated nearly $3k saved annually in fuel costs driving a Lightning instead of a regular 6 cylinder F-150.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

Just checked again with my dealer and they got 2 more EV6s!

They’re the top trim (GT-Line AWD) and also have a 12k adjustment over it so for just under $69k I too could stop paying for gas.

Just loving kill me.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Is it really a rich guy flex if their EV pays off better than an ICE equivalent in 3-5 years?

No it really loving does not. Not by a long shot compared to any cheaper but still efficient ICE card. You spring for a hybrid and it’ll be way more than 5 years. Possibly never.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No it really loving does not. Not by a long shot compared to any cheaper but still efficient ICE card. You spring for a hybrid and it’ll be way more than 5 years. Possibly never.

I'm talking about comparing an ICE to what current EVs we're offered in the same class. It would be nice if North America had access to new $20k EVs but we don't yet, and that sucks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm talking about comparing an ICE to what current EVs we're offered in the same class. It would be nice if North America had access to new $20k EVs but we don't yet, and that sucks.

I think you can only get that 3-5 years when comparing trucks (so rivian/lighting to F150s and such). Prices are too loving insane right now on just cars. Model 3s show at just around 51k. No tax credit, and give s a “$4300 estimated gas savings” but no indication over how many years. I’m guessing 3? My current which I’ve had since 2014 has only used $7,605.47 in gas for just over 100,000 miles (I log it!). So let’s be even more generous and give an EV 8,000 over the lifetime. Add a couple thousand more in maintenance because I wont change my own oil or some other dumb reason.

I could just buy a 35k car, maybe even 40k ICE car with decent mileage and I’ll end up spending less than buying an EV.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yeah, I guess I should have said it only applies to folks who bought an EV at sticker price 2 years ago. Bummer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah, I guess I should have said it only applies to folks who bought an EV at sticker price 2 years ago. Bummer.

This pricing insanity is sure to go down soon, right?

Right?

:smithicide:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This pricing insanity is sure to go down soon, right?

Right?

:smithicide:

quote:

10/ Semiconductors & computer chips are also interesting.
Today, #Russia accounts for 80 % of the market for sapphire substrates - thin plates made of artificial stone, which are used in opto- & microelectronics to build up layers of various materials, such as silicon.
They are used in every processor in the world - AMD & Intel are no exception.#Russia's position is even stronger in special chip etching chemistry using ultra-clean components. RUS accounts for almost 100% of the world's supply of some rare earth elements used for these purposes

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
I got my EV6 at MSRP from a Kia dealer in Muncie IN. There's another dealership in IA who will take your order at MSRP for EV6s if you can wait a few months. It's possible!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

I got my EV6 at MSRP from a Kia dealer in Muncie IN. There's another dealership in IA who will take your order at MSRP for EV6s if you can wait a few months. It's possible!

Yeah, the Kia dealerships in my area were selling Niro EVs at MSRP when I bought mine

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I dunno much but I do know I spend $2.70 per week going to work and back and if I still had my ICE car I would be spending $12. But look, my registration came and I owe a $214 alternative fuel vehicle fee! I paid $0 per year with an ICE car. So, throwing in an oil change or two I save maybe $300 a year with an EV.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I had to pay $213.70 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Fee for my motorcycle which I ride about 800 miles a year. Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah I am not a fan of a flat base fee for all EVs.