Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deviant posted:

hey look it's my problem

also i one-try cleared Godfrey and Morgott so i guess i got something figured out

I'm just wondering if there's any reason aside from my own enjoyment to go clear out more side content, or to even do the legwork to not burn melina. I'm all prepped for the age of stars ending as well

No reason other than enjoyment or achievements, if those matter to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zodack posted:

But I thought the black knife assassins worked for Ranni, because she was the one who stole the Rune of Death and conspired to the whole plot? Blaidd can be found at Ranni's rise similarly surrounded, but alive - at least until he finally gives into the curse - and if you tell Iji he commends Blaidd and says he'll "join him soon in death"

Ranni stole the Rune of Death, but she didn't orchestrate the Night of Black Knives. It's implied that might have been Marika in an act of rebellion against the Greater Will.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

literal sweet baby angel who can do no wrong tier:
Boc
Rya / Zarayas
Torrent

just wants to smith / provide therapy to ghosts:
Hewg
Roderika

has an agenda but is probably justified:
Ranni
Blaidd
Iji
Fia
Rogier
Melina

misguided:
Sellen
Nepheli

rear end in a top hat cops but probably really believe in what they're doing:
D
Jerren
probably most of the Golden Order in general really

poo poo-tier. scum. filth stuck to the underside of your boot:
Gideon
Seluvis
most of the demigods

and then that still leaves a whole lot of people i'm not sure about of course

Jokerfied:
Patches

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Megasabin posted:

So I've been avoiding reading anything about this game cause I love working out the story and secrets for myself. It's got to the point I do have some mechanical questions.

1. I don't totally understand how a stat links to a weapons attack power when the weapon has multiple categories it scales with. I am using the Tree Sentinel's Golden Halberd (https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Golden+Halberd) My strength is 30, my faith is 16. Currently on the level-up screen if I push Str to 31 it does not affect my R. hand weapon damage at all, but if I push faith up to 17 it will make the R. hand weapon damage go up by 1.

Does that mean this weapon generally wont benefit from getting my strength any higher and it will only increase with faith?

How much of a benefit your weapons get from stats depends on the weapon upgrade level. As you upgrade it, the scaling gets more powerful.

As for which stat scales what, in a case like the Golden Halberd, what happens is your Strength scales the physical damage and Faith scales the holy damage. Your Strength should still increase the damage but it's possible that you're at a point in the curve where that single point isn't doing much, but would if you upgraded the weapon.

Megasabin posted:

2. Does it matter who I gave prayer books/sorcery books to? There seem to be multiple people who can accept the same book (For incantations the monk at the round table and the spirit turtle at the church of vows will both take my books).

No, it doesn't matter. In the event that an NPC you've given books to dies for some reason, they'll leave behind a bell bearing that lets you buy anything you could've bought from them from the ladies at Roundable Hold.

That said I give things to the turtle pope when I can because he's cool and my friend and I like to visit him.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

and then that still leaves a whole lot of people i'm not sure about of course

Dung Eater is a cool guy who just wants to be friends with everyone.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MasterBuilder posted:

Can anyone give a general direction to where she goes after the shack I want to give her a hand:imunfunny:

Near where you pop out after bypassing the Dectus lift via the ravine.

more specific: north of the Erdtree-Gazing Hill site of grace

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Harrow posted:

Ranni stole the Rune of Death, but she didn't orchestrate the Night of Black Knives. It's implied that might have been Marika in an act of rebellion against the Greater Will.

oh poo poo i hadn't thought of that but that would fit some pieces that i was confused about together if it's true

Ranni's doll, importantly, isn't designed to look like she did in life -- at least not necessarily. it's modeled on her mentor, the Snow Witch, of whom we know almost nothing. except that Ranni's doll body and Melina look extremely similar and Melina presumably has a familial resemblance to Marika

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol it is like impossible to get summons in front of malenia

I just want someone to carry me to victory!!!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Dung Eater is a cool guy who just wants to be friends with everyone.

i heard some speculation that Dung Eater is half-giant, or a giant who for some reason has a stunted human-sized body in which case wanting revenge against the Erdtree and everything it stands for makes a lot of sense, even if it is, uh, kind of monstrously cruel. i haven't actually done his story yet though so i don't have any firsthand observations

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently one of the lengthier sidequests in the game ended up with me getting married

Which is fine, I guess, could do a lot worse ... ?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i heard some speculation that Dung Eater is half-giant, or a giant who for some reason has a stunted human-sized body in which case wanting revenge against the Erdtree and everything it stands for makes a lot of sense, even if it is, uh, kind of monstrously cruel. i haven't actually done his story yet though so i don't have any firsthand observations

I think the man just wild.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
One thing that I didn't really understand at first is that the Tarnished are not literally the same as the ashen ones, chosen undead, or bearers of the curse in Dark Souls. They are not necessarily undead, Tarnished is just a term that refers to those that don't have the blessing of grace, no matter what the reason is. The amount of time it took for me to understand this is baffling.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

lol it is like impossible to get summons in front of malenia

I just want someone to carry me to victory!!!

what level are you? i went into NG+ without doing all the optional bosses (stupid, in retrospect, but i wanted to reset the world state to before the point of no return more than i wanted to be completionist, which i now regret but made sense at the time)

anyways, point is, i might still be in level range to help people out at that stage of the game in the near future though

Gologle posted:

One thing that I didn't really understand at first is that the Tarnished are not literally the same as the ashen ones, chosen undead, or bearers of the curse in Dark Souls. They are not necessarily undead, Tarnished is just a term that refers to those that don't have the blessing of grace, no matter what the reason is. The amount of time it took for me to understand this is baffling.

the Tarnished became Tarnished as a punishment or curse -- something to do with Hourah Loux and his ambition or lack thereof, and Queen Marika's opinions on the matter? -- and were banished, and then return to the Lands Between as a result of dying, or after dying in the world outside, or something like that?

Death in the Lands is sealed away, which has consequences very similar to the undead curse but inverted in a few crucial respects. there's also a distinction between Tarnished and other undying beings who retain both body and soul, and Those Who Live In Death, which I don't entirely understand and is further complicated by Fia apparently being both of these things

i think Elden Ring takes place on a different world than other Fromsoft games but where the same cosmic principles apply, and with a backstory that includes cosmic panspermia which also neatly explains why Sekiro has a Dark Souls-style Archtree inexplicably settling in medieval Japan lol

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 8, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
trying to help with astel and god drat but there are a lot of connection errors+crashes

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

TeaJay posted:

Apparently one of the lengthier sidequests in the game ended up with me getting married

Which is fine, I guess, could do a lot worse ... ?

you and four armed space witch wife are going to usher in an age of eternal night

i dont see the issue

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
question for ranni questline i got the miniature doll and went through the lake of rot sometime last week, and i assume i spoke with the doll because now when i do it just says "...", but i can't find the Baleful Shadow and i don't already have the Discarded Palace Key. any ideas? did i sequence break and ruin everything somehow? i'm post-Fire Giant fwiw

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

100 hours and I have still not seen all areas in the game.
This game is ginormeous

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Finished Radahn today after something like 6 or 7 tries at lvl 61. Didn't even realize you could summon bros until after several deaths taught me to avoid using the horse at first. Dual greatsword jump attacks are carrying hard, they just strip huge amounts of health off enemies and stagger like mad. Half the bosses I run into are done 1st try and I haven't had to spend an excessive amount of redo's on anything. I feel like I'm missing out a bit when I see all these cool spells though so maybe ill try respeccing into something with faith.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Countblanc posted:

question for ranni questline i got the miniature doll and went through the lake of rot sometime last week, and i assume i spoke with the doll because now when i do it just says "...", but i can't find the Baleful Shadow and i don't already have the Discarded Palace Key. any ideas? did i sequence break and ruin everything somehow? i'm post-Fire Giant fwiw
go to the grace near the doll's pickup spot, talk to it repeatedly. there's more dialogue past the "..."

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what level are you? i went into NG+ without doing all the optional bosses (stupid, in retrospect, but i wanted to reset the world state to before the point of no return more than i wanted to be completionist, which i now regret but made sense at the time)

I'm on xbox unfortunately and I feel like most people here are on PC.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Countblanc posted:

You have to talk to the doll multiple times. First few times it won't say anything, keep trying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the evidence doesn't suggest it. i think that dung eater is just an existentially necessary sin eater, someone who has to exist in the same way that a ladder has to have a bottom rung. he's a depraved spiritual aberration who doesn't lament his role but instead views it as some kind of holy calling in itself

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is not this the lore text of miles weapon? I don't remember If I got the weapon from him or other place, but yea. A giant was so small that was considered by everyone very cursed, and they made a weapon from his spine with a cool proc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the evidence doesn't suggest it. i think that dung eater is just an existentially necessary sin eater, someone who has to exist in the same way that a ladder has to have a bottom rung. he's a depraved spiritual aberration who doesn't lament his role but instead views it as some kind of holy calling in itself

could be, and i'm looking forward to finding out for myself, lol

a lot of what people are posting is just wild speculation framed as fact, which is kind of fun in its own way but less so when, like, literally the description of the endings on a wiki is someone's completely unfounded fanfiction presented as objective truth. i've stumbled on a lot of really important hints and visual or textual clues that draw connections, but for the most part they are just hints, and i've gone back and forth many times on what they mean myself

that said, i think Elden Ring's handling of Souls-style lore is actually a huge step up from most of their games. almost all the big ambiguous secrets are about people's motivations, their emotional state and inner lives, rather than the cosmic rules by which the game is played -- this doesn't make it any clearer, but it both makes discovering things satisfying on a narrative level rather than just as a matter of intellectual curiosity and helps provide a sense that the all the purloined letter poo poo going on matters rather than just being esoteric world-building for its own sake

it reminds me of how I felt about the best parts of Dark Souls 3 (Anri / Horace / Aldritch's backstory, mostly) but not so much the rest of that game. and then Sekiro has a little bit of it but honestly apart from figuring out when and how you're able to eavesdrop Sekiro just isn't that obscure about what's going on in the first place, it's just a neat little personal story about a guy with a bad dad learning to be a good dad. Elden Ring is plenty obscure, but as well-written as Sekiro was

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 8, 2022

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the dung eater is the soul of an Omen in the body of a man, according to his armour set. his armour looks like that because it's an attempt to look like the big fat omen guys with the cut off horns. I still don't really know what an Omen is beyond being blue, having horns, and getting hunted by the omenkiller guys. I don't know what the like Cosmic reason for the omens is, or what they represent.

But i think the dung eater wants to turn everyone into an Omen, because the seedbed curses he has have omen horns growing from them.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So I’m just now finding out I should have been killing any merchant I see so I can centralize everything to the roundtable instead of completely forgetting where anything is

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Orv posted:

It is.

You get his armor from an invasion in Farum Azula.

I don't have a clue how to get there :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

I don't have a clue how to get there :(

keep progressing the main story, it's literally unmissable, one of the few things in the game that is

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gonna complain about the summon sign situation again because the floor should be crawling with them but instead I get 2 every minute and they both fail to summon.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

Gonna complain about the summon sign situation again because the floor should be crawling with them but instead I get 2 every minute and they both fail to summon.

Why should the floor be crawling with them? There are way more people wanting help than helping, and the helping population is split 1 zillion ways

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

soulsborne games should have had a single matchmaking queue for all zones right from the start (maybe with an opt-out exclusion list or something) from the start, and elden ring is like 10x as big as a normal souls game and makes the problem even worse. there were mods that let you automatically search every zone in sequence for DS3 but obviously that wouldn't get past the anti-cheat in this

it's even worse because they clearly understood that it was a problem and implemented summoning pools to address it, but then they made you manually activate every single summoning pool(?!) and also it seems like you only search nearby ones and not every single one you've activated, anyways. like come the gently caress on, From

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

Why should the floor be crawling with them? There are way more people wanting help than helping, and the helping population is split 1 zillion ways

Because people love co oping in this game. No way theres WAY more people wanting help than helping. It probably leans that way sure.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also you should be able to blue cop without the host needing to request it, you should be able to invade solo hosts, and sunbro co-op and bluecopping should be rolled into the same queue :colbert:

in an ideal world you'd literally just randomly phase into other people's worlds while wandering around and be able to help, ignore, or harass them as you please, like a kind of quasi-open world MMO, but that's probably too much to ask of From's barely-functional multiplayer architecture

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

IronicDongz posted:

go to the grace near the doll's pickup spot, talk to it repeatedly. there's more dialogue past the "..."

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You have to talk to the doll multiple times. First few times it won't say anything, keep trying.

I see, thank you both

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Elden Ring: Failed to Summon Cooperator.

By now, I'm sure many of you are familliar with the war-dead catacombs rune farming gimmick.

If not, i won't spoil it unless asked, but for those who are: is it breaking for you as well? My understanding was these guys eternally respawn, but mine will require a restart of the area about every 10 minutes or so.

What is the advantage to leveling up shields and casting devices? Is it just a smithing stone sink once your kinda maxed out?

Ranni is best waifu.

What is new game + like? What items, abilities, and spells can you keep? Do you have to unlock all the bell bearings again?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the problem now is that I’m finding too much cool armor and dont have time to wear it all

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the dragon fights because I feel like they are perfectly set up for mounted combat

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

What is new game + like? What items, abilities, and spells can you keep? Do you have to unlock all the bell bearings again?

key items disappear, all your gear and spells and pretty much anything you can use (except for Great Runes) carry over, you have to re-farm bell bearings, most loot can be picked up again (including sacred tears and golden seeds, but not cracked pots for some reason -- you have to find every one of those by hand, even if across multiple NG+ cycles)

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like the dragon fights because I feel like they are perfectly set up for mounted combat

i still dislike dragon fights immensely because they're repetitive and don't engage with the mechanics that make Fromsoft bosses actually interesting for the most part, but this does make them a lot more bearable

there are a few dragon-type fights where you're not allowed to horse, though, including the loving final boss which is just inexcusable

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 8, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ghosthotel posted:

For a fun arcane build that completely explodes just about everything I have thrown at it, dual wielding these two rapiers is a lot of fun:

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Antspur+Rapier

&

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Frozen+Needle

They can both be acquired on a fresh character without having to fight any major bosses at all. There are two required fights, the blood knight guy at Fort Haight to get the dectus medallion half and the first rapier is dropped by a not too hard too beat NPC if ya got some patience.

You can infuse the Antspur Rapier with a blood move of your choice (it should be blood slash tho) and blood infusion and it will still keep it's Rot build up. I got enough str/Dex just to wield them and got arcane to 40. Now you can mash L1 on bosses and watch their lifebars loving explode between bleed going off multiple times, frost going off, and rot finishing the job if they are somehow not dead. I was able to kill Radahn with this before he even had a chance to enter his second phase. Even with enemies that don't bleed they are likely still effected by Frost (Seems like most everything is) and Rot.

The heavy investment into Arcane also means you're discovery rate is gonna be pretty high and I've been gettings tons of weapons/armor drops from enemies that it looks like you can only get from farming them. This will make those drops a whole lot more frequent. There are some talismans you can get to make this really goofy but most of them are deep into late game areas so if you're starting out with this, something like Marikas Scarseal, or even just the dex talisman to add some damage on there will work in the meantime.

You inspired me to try my own variation using some different weapons.

Namely these two daggers:

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Reduvia

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Scorpion%27s+Stinger

You don't get to shove any ashes of war on either one since they're somber weapons, which also means no Blood Slash, but dual wield dagger moveset is super quick so you can build up the ailments very fast. Reduvia has it's own unique Ash of War in a mid range blood projectile that can also build up bleed and does good damage itself. It's also one of the Arcane scaling weapons that isn't broken right now!

Haven't gotten to test this out on a boss or such yet but it's fun and is giving me something a little different to roll with besides Hoarfrost Stomping everything for easy victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

What are the small obelisk looking things I see everywhere