Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

I’m partial to the three wolf moon t-shirt summon personally.

They are good boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My Own Clone, Now Neither Of Us Will Need Co-Op is easily the best.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I like the Skeleton Bros, because if they die, a few seconds later they will pop back up. Wolves do more damage, but some bosses just splat them too fast.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Celebration posted:

I guess it’s a very little thing but I like these spirt jellyfish that are just vibing in Elden Ring. They’re the very rare “enemy” that doesn’t aggro unless you draw first blood and mostly they seem helpful since they seem to like hovering around dungeons that aren’t super conspicuous. They’re just neat!

What’s even cooler is that when you aggro one, they turn from a mellow blue to red. If there are others nearby, the red “angry” state will transfer to them as well - you can watch it happen. However they have to be in close physical proximity to transfer the aggro state. If there are other jellyfish a couple dozen yards off, they remain passive. I was playing with this just yesterday.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I use the Minotaur guy. He has an enormous health pool and fills your enemies with enormous glowing arrows

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

elden ring lets you summon the ghosts of ancient heroes and skeleton hordes but two of the uncontested best are a jellyfish and an unhealthy dog

I am in a zone my character has no business being in, and goop pup just carried me on a boss that would have been brutal otherwise. Much like persona 5’s reaper, it turns out that giving a tough enemy the flu is very effective

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I feel like you're underselling the continent ruining scarlet rot a bit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

For me it's the skeleton militia that does the trick. Ancient monsters or ravenous war hounds got nothing on a couple of boney lads with rotting spears who will just keep getting back up over and over. :allears:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

My Own Clone, Now Neither Of Us Will Need Co-Op is easily the best.

The only thing keeping the Shadow Clone from being an instant win button is its total disregard for self preservation. But God bless that gooey little weirdo for soaking up big combos while I chip away at the boss's giant rear end.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I love that in Elden Ring, Godrick the Grafted is just picking up random dudes and stapling them to himself and multiple NPCs casually mention “grafting” like that’s just a thing that happens now and then.
“Oh that’s ol’ godrick. Grafting dudes to himself. You know how it goes”.

No I loving don’t know.

Also thank you fromsoft for A) simplifying the weapon upgrade system and B) FINALLY getting rid of weapon degradation

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The weapon upgrade system in elden is terrible. loving smithing stone (1) is way worse than shards chunks and slabs

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

The weapon upgrade system in elden is terrible. loving smithing stone (1) is way worse than shards chunks and slabs

Whoever came up with that naming system is a bad person.

CitizenKain has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Mar 8, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

We would have the exact opposite posts if they had named them instead.

"Big is better than large? What the hell, from?"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CitizenKain posted:

Whoever came up with that naming system is a bad person.

Brandfarlig posted:

Should have used roman numerals for the ranking of the stone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Brandfarlig posted:

No we wouldn't they already had a loving system that worked. Shards are tiny, chunks are big, slabs are bigger. That loving easy

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

No we wouldn't they already had a loving system that worked. Shards are tiny, chunks are big, slabs are bigger. That loving easy

I imagine that the problem is they went from 4 tiers of upgrade materials to 9, and probably gave up trying to come up with names for each tier that still had a clear progression and said "gently caress it, numbers"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

But there's so many levels now. It would nee to be something like sliver < fragment < shard < slice < chunk < ingot < slab < boulder

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Gaius Marius posted:

if they did this it would be more obvious they just make the same game over and over with incremental improvements :ssh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone wants the same game over and over with incremental improvements.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just use the chromatic scale like MMOs.

So you can roll up in elden ring wearing your epic gold SSSR gear

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

moonmazed posted:

if they did this it would be more obvious they just make the same game over and over with incremental improvements :ssh:

yeah dude elden ring is almost identical to the last game they put out, amazing take

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The last game did not have a mushroom hat. Elden Ring DOES have a mushroom hat.
Check and mate.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Kitfox88 posted:

Should have used roman numerals for the ranking of the stone.

That would have at least had them stand out a little. The problem is it shows up Smithing Stone [1] 1 for example, and it took a bit to figure out what it was showing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Tales From the Borderlands is an alright game, but I do love a good late title card, and I love title sequences integrated into the media in fun ways. I don't know, it's my favorite part of this game so far. I'm just playing to see the next title sequence.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Small smithing stone
Medium smithing stone
Large smithing stone
Huge smithing stone
Immense smithing stone
Colossal smithing stone
Titantic smithing stone
Gargantuan smithing stone
Your mom smithing stone

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Please take this conversation to the PYF large things in games thread

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I’m sorry I kicked off smithing stone chat.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
A large smithing stone the size of a small smithing stone

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

moonmazed posted:

Sometimes they make the next one worse.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CitizenKain posted:

That would have at least had them stand out a little. The problem is it shows up Smithing Stone [1] 1 for example, and it took a bit to figure out what it was showing.

the only reason I realized what it was doing immediately was because I’d been burned by the same thing in Bloodborne previously - i wonder how many people went through the whole game without doing chalice dungeons and thus learning why coldblood dew [1] x2 isn’t equivalent to coldblood dew [2]

to actually tie this back to the thread though I really loved how the tiered/numbered chalice ritual materials had item portraits that generally showed the same thing getting weirder/more arcane/worse. that game had such a strong sense of theme expressed through its items, and it’s the only thing I can think of that I’ve just sat down and read through inventory descriptions for a while, ever

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Mar 8, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Aphrodite posted:

Sometimes they make the next one worse.

It's rare to see two people discover the concept of sequels in one day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Popular sequel to Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Popular sequel to Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3.

Considering the common name for the franchise is "Soulsboune" yes, that is how it is viewed

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

There are literally ten million threads for goons to moan about how everything they don't like is bad design and whatnot. Why you gotta do it here?

I like the noise my horse makes when i feed it a raisin.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Aphrodite posted:

Popular sequel to Bloodborne, Dark Souls [3].

Ftfy

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It was better when it was called Dark Souls Chunk

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I love that all of the trees in Elden Ring are destructible to big enemy attacks, there’s something badass about fighting through the wilderness with trees crashing all around you.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Frank Frank posted:

I love that in Elden Ring, Godrick the Grafted is just picking up random dudes and stapling them to himself and multiple NPCs casually mention “grafting” like that’s just a thing that happens now and then.
“Oh that’s ol’ godrick. Grafting dudes to himself. You know how it goes”.

No I loving don’t know.

Also thank you fromsoft for A) simplifying the weapon upgrade system and B) FINALLY getting rid of weapon degradation

I like one of the boss weapons you get from him. Halfway through his fight he replaces his arm with the head of a nearby dragon to give himself a grisly dragon corpse arm cannon. You can craft a weapon from his soul to emulate this, but rather than puppeteer a severed dragon corpse head you instead somehow procure a comically small dragon with a comically huge head that just kind of sits on your arm and lets you punch things with it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't know which thread to put this in, but it's going here because as a non-player, I love this dumb poo poo, and it's definitely consequences of an intended decision.

Escape from Tarkov, an FPS/MMO hyvrid game, uses real-world currencies as its in-game currencies. (Not talking real-money trade stuff, I mean like 'this enemy drops Euros'). For some reason, they decided that the exchange rates of these currencies should be accurately based on real-world currency exchange rates. This is updated in real time.

This has caused the game's economy to crash because of real-world Russian sanctions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

I love that all of the trees in Elden Ring are destructible to big enemy attacks, there’s something badass about fighting through the wilderness with trees crashing all around you.

Not when your fleeing from a loving murder bear