Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
All changes to society will impact the poor first and most, but the alternative is the status quo. Just because turning off the poor person eating machine will cause poor-people to be eaten, doesn't mean we should keep the poor-person eating machine active forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I mean I love the high gas prices and want to point and laugh at everyone, but I'm trying to be mature here. Even so, lol, suck it cagers.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
This is a crazy thought--totally insane--but what if, instead of working so loving hard to make gas cheaper we just mitigated the effects of expensive gas on those most-impacted? Like, say, with a "gas price mitigation" check for... I don't know, let me just pull a random number out of the air... Say, $2,000? Could means test it, and have a gradual decline in the amount of benefits as people's income goes up, like the lanyards love so much. And then we just... Let gas prices go up. A market-driven way to mitigate climate change and encourage alternative energy. This should make everyone happy, right? It's what everyone says they want.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Waiting for the grimdark "grown up calvin" internet version where he reflects back on his dad getting creamed by a hummer in 2005

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

This is a crazy thought--totally insane--but what if, instead of working so loving hard to make gas cheaper we just mitigated the effects of expensive gas on those most-impacted? Like, say, with a "gas price mitigation" check for... I don't know, let me just pull a random number out of the air... Say, $2,000? Could means test it, and have a gradual decline in the amount of benefits as people's income goes up, like the lanyards love so much. And then we just... Let gas prices go up. A market-driven way to mitigate climate change and encourage alternative energy. This should make everyone happy, right? It's what everyone says they want.

I think everyone wants low gas prices forever, drat the consequences. I mean there's some hype for EVs, but it's just an extension of the same mindset -- wanting easy access to everything, all the time, with no compromises.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think everyone wants low gas prices forever, drat the consequences. I mean there's some hype for EVs, but it's just an extension of the same mindset -- wanting easy access to everything, all the time, with no compromises.

If things didn't get easier and better constantly forever our current social and economic systems would collapse.

*Looks around at literally everything*

Oh...

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Cars are jealous of school shooters.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/03/03/children-injured-car-crash-daycare/9368029002/

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I can't imagine that Americans would be that selfish. It's not like we'd do something insane like go to war for lower gas prices, right?

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
To everyone feeling some" pain at the pump" recently: I don't care

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nitevision posted:

:yeah:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ham Equity posted:

People's policy project did the maths on carbon tax and flat dividend (so *less* progressive than your proposal), and it was highly beneficial for the worse off, as currently the richest emit by far the most emissions.
https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/CarbonTax.pdf

France has a cool tax on new cars where efficient cars pay very little (it lines up nicely so that the normal person cheap clios pay almost nothing), and suburban tanks pay like 5 figures.

Idk there are loads of good solutions here. It's not that we can't, it's that we don't want to. A minor change in vehicle aesthetics is too much to ask western populations to do to avoid catastrophic climate impacts elsewhere.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nitevision posted:

Furthermore: gently caress you

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

God Hole posted:

yes this is something i would feel safe using after watching all those Tesla self-driving videos.

https://twitter.com/Gugullig/status/1500522488790355969?s=20&t=x4ZeVHRWCe7XaVAPlsXfxQ

reinventing the roundabout but lovely

god his pie in the sky fantasy solution is just poo poo. celebrity imagination future man is completely unable to picture any kind of better world except "this one but with more computers." everything elon musk does is a twisted expression of his unconscious psychosexual desire to be crushed to death by gears inside a large machine. think about it

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Blackhawk posted:

There was a story on the national TV news last night about how we need to bring back passenger rail in New Zealand and painting trains in a positive light, so that's uhh pretty good I guess! Of course we're not going to actually do it because that would cost money which would require taxing the rich and yeah that's not a way to win elections.

Crazy to see a map of how many passenger rail routes have gone away since the 1970's.

Here's the passenger rail network at its peak:

And here it is today:

(And actually some of the 'today' lines shown are really tourist only lines that are shut down due to covid, and even when they were running only went a few times per week)

So basically you can't go between literally any city or town to any other on a train in New Zealand. There are still a fair few tracks existing but they're now used exclusively for freight, and even where there are passenger trains they have to share the lines with freight which mean the passenger services are severely limited in speed. Also the lines and grades are all 100+ years old and were never designed for high speeds, so even if the tracks were clear the trains would still be very limited (and none of the intercity lines are electrified).

The bullshit thing is that we have quite a good electricity grid in terms of renewable energy, about 84% renewable, so if we were to have a robust electrified rail network between our major towns/cities we could massively reduce our overall emissions.

The doubly bullshit thing is that the middle part of the North Island Main Line is electrified but there are plans to buy more powerful diesel locos so engine changes in Hamilton and Palmerston North won’t be required anymore.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

god his pie in the sky fantasy solution is just poo poo. celebrity imagination future man is completely unable to picture any kind of better world except "this one but with more computers." everything elon musk does is a twisted expression of his unconscious psychosexual desire to be crushed to death by gears inside a large machine. think about it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nitevision posted:

I love filling up at chud central in Illinois and seeing the pump read in the triple digits before I fill up my Insight for $30

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

zegermans posted:

I love filling up at chud central in Illinois and seeing the pump read in the triple digits before I fill up my Insight for $30

for those about to pump... we salute you :patriot:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/JustinKCarr/status/1500830345704480773?s=20&t=1W9m7IE5rKj1FW4P7lsnYg

I don't know exactly what slice of twitter this is, but the comments are full of ostensibly left-leaning people complaining that their unsustainable lifestyle choices have reached the end of their sustainable period. They were probably all decrying US oil policy under Trump, but they actually loved it.

Fitzy Fitz has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Mar 8, 2022

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know exactly what slice of twitter this is, but the comments are full of ostensibly left-leaning people complaining that their unsustainable lifestyle choices have reached the end of their sustainable period. They were probably all decrying US oil policy under Trump, but they actually loved it.

you are suggesting that the dude should reflect on what leads him to burn like 10 liters of gas so his kid can get to school, instead of complaining about the cost?

fascist

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

brakeless posted:

you are suggesting that the dude should reflect on what leads him to burn like 10 liters of gas so his kid can get to school, instead of complaining about the cost?

fascist

https://twitter.com/MelpomeneMel/status/1500871724753108993?s=20&t=1W9m7IE5rKj1FW4P7lsnYg

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The only reason your kid's school is 27 miles away is you take her to a private school or you're divorced and moved too far away

Either way sorry about your 22 mpg SUV

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I kiss hitler on the mouth every day and I hope americans will soon pay as much for gas as what it costs around here,
which seems to currently work out to about 8.7 petrodollar per gallon, which is still too little but whatever

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

If only Colonel Ghadaffi where here today to save us with the non-central bank backed oil currency

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

about to go on a walk and do some errands. carfree is the way 2 be

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

yeah, we were living on a cloud that was bound to collapse eventually and everyone with sense warned you for decades that it would hurt when it finally did.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
i love "it raises the price of EVERYTHING" as a catch-all argument from carbrains people. yeah no poo poo, but i still pay less because i don't drive a 10 tonne SUV everywhere. if everything is more expensive...... doesn't it make even more sense to drive less or drive smaller cars genius?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Fitzy Fitz posted:

https://twitter.com/JustinKCarr/status/1500830345704480773?s=20&t=1W9m7IE5rKj1FW4P7lsnYg

he uses 2.5 gallons of gas every single day getting his daughter to and from school, which means the distance from his house to her school is something like 25-30 miles, which is insane

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

just in carr

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
*builds everything to be completely dependent on oil and gas supply being able to meet unlimited demand*
*something disrupts supply of oil and gas*
What's going on??? Why is this happening all of a sudden????

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

he uses 2.5 gallons of gas every single day getting his daughter to and from school, which means the distance from his house to her school is something like 25-30 miles, which is insane

i was interested to learn more and apparently his kid is a little hellion and has to go to an alternative school 27.1 miles one way. Brutal.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

just in carr

Haha

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

he claims his other children go to a local public school, but this one has to go to a specific one farther away for the next few years (???)

edit: oh the kid is a problem child lol

so 27 miles each way, 108 miles a day, that's more than I drive in a month

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Mar 8, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

new Not Just Bikes along these lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nw6qyyrTeI

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Magic Hate Ball posted:

childcare in general is a big cause of fossil fuel dependency imho. since the us government doesn't help parents in any capacity whatsoever, parents feel the need to take individual action to keep their kid happy and healthy. which sadly means moving to the burbs in a lot of cases, either for schools, supplies, or affordable housing space

can't count the number of progressives I know who moved out of the city and got an suv <1 year after having a kid. it sucks but i don't exactly blame them, because who tf wants to raise a kid in a 600sqft 1br apartment, or have their kid sent to a school where they hand out stacks of black and white photocopies because they don't have money for books

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Mar 8, 2022

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

upsidedown posted:

The doubly bullshit thing is that the middle part of the North Island Main Line is electrified but there are plans to buy more powerful diesel locos so engine changes in Hamilton and Palmerston North won’t be required anymore.

I just want to be able to go to Rotorua to ride mountain bikes or Ruapehu to climb/ski on a loving train! Back when the north island train from Auckland to Wellington was still operating I considered using it a few times but I wanted to take my bike and there are only TWO bicycle spots on the entire loving train! A whole goddamn train and it can apparently only carry two bicycles, absolutely pointless and useless to me.

Hey government, you want to get to zero road deaths or whatever? Build a loving train network people can use to get between cities! Oh that costs a lot of money? Our top marginal tax rate is a joke and our tax legislation is filled with loopholes that only benefit the rich, fix that poo poo and you can probably find the coin.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

childcare in general is a big cause of fossil fuel dependency imho.

The two are very interweaved!

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3665046

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

SSRN posted:

We estimate that these laws prevented only 57 car crash fatalities of children nationwide in 2017. Simultaneously, they led to a permanent reduction of approximately 8,000 births in the same year, and 145,000 fewer births since 1980, with 90% of this decline being since 2000.

Imagining a second edition of One Billion Americans after Matt Yglesias finds out about this

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Polo-Rican posted:

childcare in general is a big cause of fossil fuel dependency imho. since the us government doesn't help parents in any capacity whatsoever, parents feel the need to take individual action to keep their kid happy and healthy. which sadly means moving to the burbs in a lot of cases, either for schools, supplies, or affordable housing space

can't count the number of progressives I know who moved out of the city and got an suv <1 year after having a kid. it sucks but i don't exactly blame them, because who tf wants to raise a kid in a 600sqft 1br apartment, or have their kid sent to a school where they hand out stacks of black and white photocopies because they don't have money for books

If you buy an SUV gently caress you. I can forgive moving to the suburbs, I can forgive private school, I can forgive all that other stuff. But buying an SUV is a non-coerced individual choice with a better alternative. But it's made because when it comes down to it, they are a liberal and believe nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Reduction in births to families that already have two children is bad...?

That's an interesting take. I would also love to know how they arrived at that 57 figure.