Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Khanstant posted:

drat, warning to everyone doing Volcano Manor: DO NOT KILL RYKARD UNTIL YOU DO EVERYTHING THERE. I apparently left half the dungeon unexplored because I didn't see where to go after killing magma wyrm. Figured I needed to do more manor quests to get access... but that just sends you to kill Rykard.

My gut was telling me don't kill it until I finish the little secrets there, so I went back and talked to everyone again for good measure and it seemed fine, rested and tried it again to be sure. Hoslow was gone but figured he's dead somewhere since he sucks. Snakegirl was a little shocked at the dark secret. Figured after Rykard maybe advance it but naw, there's an elevator leading to another half of the dungeon you can go to anytime and there's some item there for a quest.

I spoiled it for myself and I guess I'm just hosed and also she might tie into DLC or maybe that's baseless speculation idk. but if so, damnit.

True but at 10 faith I consider those rewards to be nothing lol. Haven't gone back since discovering it.
DLC hasn't been locked out by main game story choices in the past, right? I screwed up volcano manor too and I'm only annoyed because I'd rather wear bull goat armor than poop armor.

Also I cheesed Malenia today, the tech is dual wield katanas + equip 3 meat dumplings. Your mimic will always spawn with the last item you equipped so he gets 3 heals instead of 1 and the poison buildup doesn't matter. He does often heal at dumb times but it still made him noticeably more sturdy.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, so I downed Rennala and have two runes and I was told that I can go to the capital now, but the gently caress-off huge gates are locked and I can't find another way in. Am I supposed to beat the Draconic Tree Sentinel or is that an optional path and I'm missing the intended one?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

gently caress you maliketh. this game hates melee characters so much.

edit: of course i beat him right after posting. hoarfrost stomp ftw.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 8, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

marshmallow creep posted:

Okay, so I downed Rennala and have two runes and I was told that I can go to the capital now, but the gently caress-off huge gates are locked and I can't find another way in. Am I supposed to beat the Draconic Tree Sentinel or is that an optional path and I'm missing the intended one?

You can beat him as the most straightforward way but I got in via the underground. Can't remember what terrible route it was I feel like I've popped up in all sorts of loving weird places over the course of the game.

Actually I remember I went all the way through to a place called the undertree deep roots I think.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 8, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Scruffpuff posted:

Found a catacombs area with TWO bosses. Walked into the second boss room through the mist, 2 seconds later I was dead, had no idea what hit me. Went back in and started swinging like a madman, 2 seconds later the boss was dead, had no idea how I hit him.

I feel like I missed something there. I'm pretty sure I never saw it.

One of the nearby merchants sells a note that explains what's going on: To reveal invisible black-knife assassins, you need one of the special "sentry torches" that the capitol guards carry. You can buy it from another of the merchants scattered arount Altus somewhere.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
How does NG+ work? What makes it a + instead of just a NG? Is there some sort of meta progression, or is this just what people mean when they say “start a whole new clean file totally unrelated to the past one”?

I sort of assumed it meant the former, but wasn’t sure.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

R.e. invisibility there's a torch that will reveal them

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tildes posted:

How does NG+ work? What makes it a + instead of just a NG? Is there some sort of meta progression, or is this just what people mean when they say “start a whole new clean file totally unrelated to the past one”?

I sort of assumed it meant the former, but wasn’t sure.

NG+ in souls games means you keep all of your levels and items (except the stuff in your key items tab), and then you start from the beginning again but in a much higher-difficulty world on par with the late game areas you were in before you beat the game.

There is usually some new loot scattered around the world in NG+ (like +1 versions of talismans), and occasionally a new boss or two.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Going to be the outlier here and say that I actually enjoyed the Radahn fight once I figured out the gimmick and rolled with it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

wow i don't usually summon help in these games but i might need a hand with caria manor

dang, normally i brag about how i'm a dab hand at dark souls games but i'm all thumbs tonight. going to give my mitts a rest and come back tomorrow with a fresh handle on situation, knuckle down, and get my fingers dirty.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Underwhelmed posted:

Going to be the outlier here and say that I actually enjoyed the Radahn fight once I figured out the gimmick and rolled with it.

Radahn owns, haters need to level vigor and learn to roll his arrows.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/jTgtCQH.mp4

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Brandfarlig posted:

Radahn owns, haters need to level vigor and learn to roll his arrows.

I keep thinking about what a level 1 run of this game is going to look like. Bananas, I imagine.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I beat Radahn with one weird trick be level 80, summon everyone, spam hoarfrost and did it in two tries

Char
Jan 5, 2013
HOW THE gently caress DO I BEAT THESE TWO GODDAMNED GARGOYLES
drat it.

Also, Latenna kinda sucks as a summon, doesn't she? :(

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lol for the (leyndell encounter) double tree sentinels I just sprinted up to one of them from the nearest grace, beat him up while his buddy just hung out nearby, then went and beat up the other guy who still hadn't noticed

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Are there multiple endings that require you to beat malenia? I don't really want to fight her again. I do have the final version of the alloyed golden needle and I purposefully haven't burnt the tree yet

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I'm bad at posting.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Putting a boss in the middle of the Lake of Rot was extremely cruel Fromsoft, thank you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

Are there multiple endings that require you to beat malenia? I don't really want to fight her again. I do have the final version of the alloyed golden needle and I purposefully haven't burnt the tree yet

The secret bosses have nothing to do with endings as far as anyone has discovered at this point in time

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

dang, normally i brag about how i'm a dab hand at dark souls games but i'm all thumbs tonight. going to give my mitts a rest and come back tomorrow with a fresh handle on situation, knuckle down, and get my fingers dirty.

:mad:

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
How the gently caress do you dodge Astel's teleport grab? I can do the entire fight without getting hit by any other attack but keep getting insta killed by the grab

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Are faith spells just poo poo? So many of them (I've got basically everything you can get up through clearing Liurnia) have such a large charge up time that they're basically useless except in gimmick fights or intentionally spending way too much time rounding up trash for the perfect moment to fire the spell. So far I've only found three that are basically functionally usable on the regular:

Lightning Spear - Works but easily dodged and does about the same amount of damage per uncharged shot as I used to do with a single uncharged melee hit in a Str/Dex build. So basically a cost resources and easily dodged melee hit.

Black Flame - Because it's a Souls game it impossible to actually judge the value of the dot but basically a weaker lightning spear that maybe sorta makes up for it on damage over a few seconds afterwards. Supposedly does damage based on health of the enemy so maybe great for bosses but so far hasn't been noticeable on the few I've tried. For overall use it's better than Lightning Spear in that this feels useful compared to a single ranged melee hit.

Flame of Frenzy - Straight up amaze balls, just so costly and the charge up makes it hard to use. But when you can use it the effects outweight the charge up time unlike all the other spells I've got.

The only spells I haven't tried yet are the two aspect spells. Just overall feels like I used a larval tear to be significantly weaker than I was before. It doesn't even play all that different yet, because the unreliability of hitting something just means instead of popping a few weapon arts and beating someone to death, I now take more time to fire off a more lightning spears until I inevitably need to run in and finish melee'ing the thing to death.

This is with 45 faith, 17 arcane, with the +potency talisman. Edit: And a +7 seal.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 8, 2022

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Char posted:

Counter their jolly co-operation with jolly co-operation.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
How do I access the Plateau above the swamp in the lake region? I have wandered all around but can find no path up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ghouldaddy07 posted:

How do I access the Plateau above the swamp in the lake region? I have wandered all around but can find no path up.

Quest line that starts in the NW corner of Liurnia.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

nessin posted:

Are faith spells just poo poo? So many of them (I've got basically everything you can get up through clearing Liurnia) have such a large charge up time that they're basically useless except in gimmick fights or intentionally spending way too much time rounding up trash for the perfect moment to fire the spell. So far I've only found three that are basically functionally usable on the regular:

Lightning Spear - Works but easily dodged and does about the same amount of damage per uncharged shot as I used to do with a single uncharged melee hit in a Str/Dex build. So basically a cost resources and easily dodged melee hit.

Black Flame - Because it's a Souls game it impossible to actually judge the value of the dot but basically a weaker lightning spear that maybe sorta makes up for it on damage over a few seconds afterwards. Supposedly does damage based on health of the enemy so maybe great for bosses but so far hasn't been noticeable on the few I've tried. For overall use it's better than Lightning Spear in that this feels useful compared to a single ranged melee hit.

Flame of Frenzy - Straight up amaze balls, just so costly and the charge up makes it hard to use. But when you can use it the effects outweight the charge up time unlike all the other spells I've got.

The only spells I haven't tried yet are the two aspect spells. Just overall feels like I used a larval tear to be significantly weaker than I was before. It doesn't even play all that different yet, because the unreliability of hitting something just means instead of popping a few weapon arts and beating someone to death, I now take more time to fire off a more lightning spears until I inevitably need to run in and finish melee'ing the thing to death.

This is with 45 faith, 17 arcane, with the +potency talisman.

the best faith incantations in the game are rot breath and rot breath 2, hth

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Barudak posted:

The secret bosses have nothing to do with endings as far as anyone has discovered at this point in time
Malenia's flower is necessary to undo the frenzy mark the three fingers gives you in the sewers if you do that and want a different ending.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

40 hours in I'm still bitter at how many times those assholes at the Gatefront wrecked me when I started the game, so whenever I upgrade my halberd I like to go back and test it out by tearing their asses up

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No Wave posted:

Malenia's flower is necessary to undo the frenzy mark the three fingers gives you in the sewers if you do that and want a different ending.

Thats brutal.

Curious, uh, narratively how that works now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
man, volcano manor was huge, I can't believe I missed one lil cage elevator and missed this whole thing that leads back into the boss area a different way. on the bright side, i wound up at boss room again, new development/invasion there, neat!

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Char posted:

drat it.

Also, Latenna kinda sucks as a summon, doesn't she? :(

When you get the first gargoyle near half go ham and try to burn it down as much as possible, and then position yourself so you have both in front of you at all times.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AndrewP posted:

40 hours in I'm still bitter at how many times those assholes at the Gatefront wrecked me when I started the game, so whenever I upgrade my halberd I like to go back and test it out by tearing their asses up

Ha! Those guys are my "try out a new weapon on an actual target" for that same reason

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gently caress it, I'm cheesing this rear end in a top hat with bleed arrows.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

thehoodie posted:

How the gently caress do you dodge Astel's teleport grab? I can do the entire fight without getting hit by any other attack but keep getting insta killed by the grab

There's a pretty big windup on it once they appear so I spun my camera around once they teleported and got ready to dodge if they were popping in close by. got good results dodging into the charge and was able to get some whacks in to boot

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
It rocks so much that until the "first" boss you can mostly avoid anything you want and then the next area is inside, close quarters. I thought I was getting a handle on this game!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I forgot to talk to Rogier again after beating godrick, and apparently going directly to start Renna's quest kills him. Am I hosed from getting his rapier?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Barudak posted:

Thats brutal.

Curious, uh, narratively how that works now

Unalloyed Gold has an anti-elder god effect on people. At the end of Millicent's questline, you get her gold needle that she has shoved in her, tempered by Miquella's bloom, which will drive off the effects of the Frenzied Flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

berenzen posted:

Unalloyed Gold has an anti-elder god effect on people. At the end of Millicent's questline, you get her gold needle that she has shoved in her, tempered by Miquella's bloom, which will drive off the effects of the Frenzied Flame.

Is that part of the dung quest line or is it just the malenia/Millicent quest