Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1500879877741891589

It's kinda funny, I'm used to seeing videos of masked people in front of flags with AKs, shouting Glory to X! Death to Y! and it's the US they want to kill. Nice(?) for that not to be the case for once :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The way the Chechens keep getting wiped is loving ridiculous and well, I don't wanna say "funny", but it's kinda funny...

It’s heartbreaking to watch regulars and conscripts get sent into the meat grinder, even Russian ones but whenever I hear about these right wing mercenary militias getting owned it’s just guilt free schadenfreude.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dick Ripple posted:

My bet is they have to get somewhere near the front (everywhere is the front in Ukraine) to unclog the mess that they may or may not have been planning for.

I'm fairly certain that shooting generals trying to unfuck the problem is actually counter productive. It's generals who created the cluster gently caress in the first place.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s heartbreaking to watch regulars and conscripts get sent into the meat grinder, even Russian ones but whenever I hear about these right wing mercenary militias getting owned it’s just guilt free schadenfreude.

Yeah, it's great seeing the lines of kids and school teachers getting bread and a call home, if only there were more.

But to the Wagner group, PMCs, and hardline Russian forces, my greatest hope is that you end the war in a Polish hospital accountable for your actions.

But dead is an ok second choice too.

cult_hero fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 8, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Mods wipe this if you think it's stirring poo poo up, but Smeg, I'm genuinely curious to hear what point you think you're making here?

All the the self congratulatory stuff and rah rah stuff is pretty hollow because we were happy to create the conditions the led to this and sure don’t have any problems doing imperialism or violating other nation’s right to self-determination ourselves. Just ask half of Latin America. And I don’t think or trust our leaders to “solve” it.

The person I responded to blamed the “anti-interventionist left” and if you want to look beyond the person immediately responsible for these atrocities which is indisputably Putin, then maybe the people who gutted what was left of the economies of the countries that now seem to be a problem might be to blame.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

All the the self congratulatory stuff and rah rah stuff is pretty hollow because we were happy to create the conditions the led to this and sure don’t have any problems doing imperialism or violating other nation’s right to self-determination ourselves. Just ask half of Latin America. And I don’t think or trust our leaders to “solve” it.

The person I responded to blamed the “anti-interventionist left” and if you want to look beyond the person immediately responsible for these atrocities which is indisputably Putin, then maybe the people who gutted what was left of the economies of the countries that now seem to be a problem might be to blame.

I dont think I'm following. Which people are you meaning?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Russia opted to wage war on the planets ability to sustain life as an economy.

Like seriously they only produce power if it comes from the ground and burns.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Russia opted to wage war on the planets ability to sustain life as an economy.

Like seriously they only produce power if it comes from the ground and burns.

9/10

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

You didn't read what I said at all, nor the context in which I said it. The conversation was about whether the term Tankie is still applicable today, and it absolutely is.

I don't blame non-interventionists for Putin invading Ukraine, I blame Putin. But a sizeable chunk of people on the right and left wing are going out of their way to avoid assigning any blame to him or his kleptocrats whatsoever. Playing the historical blame game is all well and good (I'd start with the Russian Tsarist aristocracy and work up from there), but it's kind of the same as blaming France and Britain for World War II. Like yeah maybe the treaty of Versailles was a raw deal for Germany, but that doesn't change the fact that they invaded an entire continent and murdered millions of people in response. And it doesn't change the fact that Putin alone is responsible for what's happening right now.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 8, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protocols_of_the_Elders_of_Zion?wprov=sfla1

Russia has been at this game since before either war

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.businessinsider.com/putin-close-circle-russian-officials-complaining-about-ukraine-invasion-rustamova-2022-3

Allegedly, Putin didn't let anyone but his closest advisors know that they were actually going to fully invade Ukraine. Most of the rank and file politicians and bureaucrats are claiming they were under the impression it was merely posturing for negotiations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

https://www.independent.ie/videos/i...n-41420550.html

he explains it in that video

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I dont think I'm following. Which people are you meaning?

I'm not entirely sure I follow all of what Smegma is saying, but I'd like to throw Germany's hat into that ring, because we were perfectly happy with weakening Ukraine's Position with all the Nordstreams/hose-drinking Russian oil/rolling around in Russian coal and did not think once* to do more than wag the finger post-Crimea, or during the countless "military exercises" Russia was doing on Ukraine's borders in the last couple of years.

And we're currently congratulating ourselves for standing with Ukraine/uniting Europe so drat hard that it's actually physically painful.

Not sure if that's what Smegma meant, but that's kinda what I'm seeing in the German media/politics discourse.

Mind you, it doesn't change the fact that Putin alone is responsible for his "dream of greater Russia/invading.

/edit: *yes, yes, i know there were some actions that qualify as "more than fongerwagging", but let's be honest here, we were Jonesing for them sweet Russian fossil products right up to QR of last year

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 8, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really hoped fonger was german for finger

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

^^German for finger is... finger.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm not entirely sure I follow all of what Smegma is saying, but I'd like to throw Germany's hat into that ring, because we were perfectly happy with weakening Ukraine's Position with all the Nordstreams/hose-drinking Russian oil/rolling around in Russian coal and did not think once* to do more than wag the finger post-Crimea, or during the countless "military exercises" Russia was doing on Ukraine's borders in the last couple of years.

And we're currently congratulating ourselves for standing with Ukraine/uniting Europe so drat hard that it's actually physically painful.

Not sure if that's what Smegma meant, but that's kinda what I'm seeing in the German media/politics discourse.

Mind you, it doesn't change the fact that Putin alone is responsible for his "dream of greater Russia/invading.

/edit: *yes, yes, i know there were some actions that qualify as "more than fongerwagging", but let's be honest here, we were Jonesing for them sweet Russian fossil products right up to QR of last year

If I'm honest, this is more of an example of where the West was lying supine while Russia rose. Germany is just the most glaring example of a NATO country happily turning a blind eye to the Eastern kleptocrats (the UK and US are also guilty of harboring tons of that sweet sweet plundered wealth). If anything, it means the West should have been more proactive in managing the post-Soviet states from a diplomatic and economic policy perspective. The DSA's statement, though, was explicitly blaming NATO for warmongering.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Since soldier is soldat

I was hoping finger was fingat

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

psydude posted:

If I'm honest, this is more of an example of where the West was lying supine while Russia rose. Germany is just the most glaring example of a NATO country happily turning a blind eye to the Eastern kleptocrats (the UK and US are also guilty of harboring tons of that sweet sweet plundered wealth). If anything, it means the West should have been more proactive in managing the post-Soviet states from a diplomatic and economic policy perspective. The DSA's statement, though, was explicitly blaming NATO for warmongering.

The elites in Russia were happy to steal and rob from their own people, and the elites in the West were happy take their money. Now, mostly innocent people are paying for that in Ukraine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Latest Russian losses, according to Ukraine:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MFA_Ukraine/status/1501129721500868611

Has anyone got a number for the total number of prisoners of war? Between their combat losses, captured, and deserters, they're probably closing in on having lost about 10% of their total assembled pre-invasion manpower. 300 tanks is about 30 BTGs worth, or around 25% of their total pre-invasion armor strength.

No wonder Wagner is already sending in Syrian mercenaries.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/07/russia-trying-to-recruit-syrians-to-fight-in-ukraine-says-pentagon

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

psydude posted:

And I said I was disappointed it was

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

And I said I was disappointed it was

I was disappointed when I learned it's like the only word among body parts that's the same in both languages.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

psydude posted:

I was disappointed when I learned it's like the only word among body parts that's the same in both languages.

Torso

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Milo and POTUS posted:

I really hoped fonger was german for finger

you and your "fahngervagging"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ISW released a good analysis yesterday. They're stating that Russia is preparing for an assault on Kyiv in the next 2-3 days.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-7

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Ah yes, Ireland. A country with no particular thoughts about a larger, imperialist country trying to invade and subjugate it's smaller neighbor.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

psydude posted:

On the other hand, German has the magnificent "handschuh".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And of course the derived word "fußhandschuh".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

My wife and I literally just call gloves hand shoes now.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Right now, I'm just fongerwagging, but don't make me break out my ARGUMENTATIONSGERÄT.

It geräts arguments.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
My favorite German body part word, Zahnfleisch. How can one go wrong with Tooth Meat?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Right now, I'm just fongerwagging, but don't make me break out my ARGUMENTATIONSGERÄT.

It geräts arguments.

You should have lied to us and told us it was some kind of bayerischer slang.

e: flugzeug best zeug, other than feuerzeug. Aber man darf nicht beides kombinieren.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 8, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
guten tag russians, say auf wiedersehen to your little tanks

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kyivindependent/status/1501204883390742545?s=21

Even the gold bugs are joining in. Putin has United the world in ways I could never imagine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/putin-close-circle-russian-officials-complaining-about-ukraine-invasion-rustamova-2022-3

Allegedly, Putin didn't let anyone but his closest advisors know that they were actually going to fully invade Ukraine. Most of the rank and file politicians and bureaucrats are claiming they were under the impression it was merely posturing for negotiations.

quote:

Another person granted anonymity said Kremlin officials were "carefully enunciating the word clusterfuck" when describing the invasion.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

any news on if the spy satellite poo poo was real or not? I assume at this point with no word it's not,.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

tater_salad posted:

any news on if the spy satellite poo poo was real or not? I assume at this point with no word it's not,.

What spy satellite poo poo?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's called a finger because it fings duh

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Soul Dentist posted:

It's called a finger because it fings duh

what if there were two?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

someone said that the satellites were hacked and RUS no longer had acces to them.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

what if there were two?

We call that "Sex"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

M_Gargantua posted:

Somebody (Anonymous?) just a day or two ago claimed to have taken control of or at least broken into a Russian satellite.