Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Padical posted:

When you get the first gargoyle near half go ham and try to burn it down as much as possible, and then position yourself so you have both in front of you at all times.

I have no ham to speak for, I'm Arcane/Faith based and these two assholes won't get the scarlet rot. There's more cheese I can try (like, using mimic tear but removing all my other spells except rotten breath first), but otherwise these two mean dudes are my nemesis.

Char fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Gelmir Hero Grave can eat a dick. I was so mad when I finally figured out how to get through it after throwing myself into the meat grinder for a good hour.

just tank the first stretch of lava. it's not that bad and you can skip right to the end of the dungeon

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I wish the game spent less time in lore and item descriptions reminding me that Miquella was an eternal child and that Mohg was absolutely loving him and also the line from Malenia about Miquella having the “allure” of a god and

:/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wish the game spent less time in lore and item descriptions reminding me that Miquella was an eternal child and that Mohg was absolutely loving him and also the line from Malenia about Miquella having the “allure” of a god and

:/

I... uh.. what item is this. Everything I found was Mohg killed Miquella accidentally in an attempt to make him a true god/serve his god the formless mother, but like I clearly missed the godslayer blade

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm pretty sure it's trivial if you are any good at this game, but the death frostbite bird is stomping me, both mounted and on foot. Having to (how to make the boss show up spoilers) wait for the night at the save point each time annoys me way more than it should.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm pretty sure it's trivial if you are any good at this game, but the death frostbite bird is stomping me, both mounted and on foot. Having to (how to make the boss show up spoilers) wait for the night at the save point each time annoys me way more than it should.

I never had to wait for night time, it just showed up after the first time on a short delay

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So D's questline? it seems like the absolute only way to progress is to have him die in service of Fia's quest. I even went out of my way to seek out his brother in advance and while his brother gave me a gesture, there was no change in anything until I gave him the knife and he dropped dead of the same stuff that killed rogier.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Barudak posted:

I... uh.. what item is this. Everything I found was Mohg killed Miquella accidentally in an attempt to make him a true god/serve his god the formless mother, but like I clearly missed the godslayer blade

”Remembrance of Mohg, Lord of Blood, hewn into the Erdtree.

The power of its namesake can be unlocked by the Finger Reader.
Alternatively, it can be used to gain a great bounty of runes.

Wishing to raise Miquella to full godhood, Mohg wished to
become his consort, taking the role of monarch. But no matter
how much of his bloody bedchamber he tried to share, he received
no response from the young Empyrean.”

And

Winged helm made of unalloyed gold.

Worn by Malenia, Blade of Miquella.

Malenia awaited Miquella at the foot of the husk.

“My brother will keep his promise. He possesses the wisdom, the allure, of a god – he is the most fearsome Empyrean of all.””
(And of course just all of Mohg’s prefight interactions)

There’s a weird bit of if not sexualizing a child then coming real close to sexualizing childhood. Not loving it.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

gently caress it, I'm cheesing this rear end in a top hat with bleed arrows.

the amount of times ive died where a boss has a tiny sliver of health left is ridiculous. i cant tell if im choking or its ai goes into gently caress you mode and starts endlessly spamming its most deadly attacks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So I think I interpreted that differently, maybe out of mental self preservation but I took that as quite literally pouring blood on miquella who is in repose in that silk egg thing. Mohg is trying to use magic to try to revive him but Miquella is already long dead. As for the "allure" of a god the same sort of worship that Marika command, not physical attraction. Malenia is hopelessly waiting for him and Mohg is trying to make him a full god before he even tries ascending himself.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

bag em and tag em posted:

Gelmir Hero Grave can eat a dick. I was so mad when I finally figured out how to get through it after throwing myself into the meat grinder for a good hour.

I really enjoyed the twist with Gelmir’s. The first part is dodging the chariot as usual. Then following the side path until eventually you find yourself standing directly above the chariot, looking confused at all the messages saying horseback battle until it finally dawned on me to actually ride the chariot. You look extremely badass doing it. I don’t remember a point where you had to tank a bunch of lava.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Is this Commander O'Neil feller supposed to be hot poo poo? Becasue his fight is pretty easily trivialised by riding your horse.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

pentyne posted:

If a weapon scales with 4 stats, does that mean 4 different boosts to damage?

I mean, sort of. They don't scale at the same rate a dedicated stat weapon will (you'll never see S/S/S/S) but against something with no resists, it'll do some pretty sweet damage. It falls off in the 60s, though.

Edit: The resists are the important part. Something that mostly ignores fire chunks a ton of damage off. Same with magic. Something that resists both slash damage and magic damage is going to take super low hits. In souls, traditionally, split scaling was bad. It's just not as bad here and you're mainly using the sword for the WAs.

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't you need a whole lot of runes to get the int/faith requirement?
(And also Mind to have enough FP to use it properly)

Mind is taken care of due to the cheap weapon art and Astrologer starting stats. Obviously huge spoilers, but there was a full video rundown linked here previously that covers the runes.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 8, 2022

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I really enjoyed the twist with Gelmir’s. The first part is dodging the chariot as usual. Then following the side path until eventually you find yourself standing directly above the chariot, looking confused at all the messages saying horseback battle until it finally dawned on me to actually ride the chariot. You look extremely badass doing it. I don’t remember a point where you had to tank a bunch of lava.

You don't have to, but if you do you can skip the entire dungeon and it was far less painful for me to do that than try to ride the chariot. It's just that the lava shortcut was right there the whole time and I just assumed it wouldn't work because lava=bad

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Am I missing something or is Elden stars just awful? Most of the big incantations I've found seem really bad honestly for how slow they are and how much FP they cost

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Barudak posted:

I don't remember where, but I read mention that Miquella hated his eternally childlike/infant form and wanted to change it. Mohg of course has allusions to wanting to gently caress this small boy god in item text, and at least one of the lines during his fight. I don't know how Miquella's desire to be reborn gels with Mohg wanting to be his consort, though.

Vagabong posted:

Is this Commander O'Neil feller supposed to be hot poo poo? Becasue his fight is pretty easily trivialised by riding your horse.

But what if you weren't allowed to ride your horse?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Any time I've ever tried to go Faith caster in a souls game I've been sadly disappointed.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

You don't have to, but if you do you can skip the entire dungeon and it was far less painful for me to do that than try to ride the chariot. It's just that the lava shortcut was right there the whole time and I just assumed it wouldn't work because lava=bad

If/when I next need to do the dungeon I’m 100% trying it out.

Somewhat related, the hero graves currently have a 100% host death rate whenever I’m summoned in co-op. Other co-op highlights include the cemetery shade with skeleton friends, which is a DPS check to try and beat before it murders the host, and the strange attraction hosts have to every trap they can find.

Love it though, reached the point where the game is throwing complete awesome looking armour sets at you and now co-op has gone from Elden Ring to Fashion Ring.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Any time I've ever tried to go Faith caster in a souls game I've been sadly disappointed.

I once attempted a No Bonfires NG+ run of DaS2. I went with Faith so I could have a mix of heals and splash in some damage with the Lightning Spears.

They nerfed the Lightning Spear line partway through my playthrough. :suicide:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Currently a Str/Faith build with like 31 strength and 38 Faith (trying to get to 41 so I can summon the power of the sun in co-op) and I’ve had no issues with its power. Lots of different tools, some flashy moves, a bunch of different damage types to tailor to what you’re fighting and the aforementioned support spells.

I think my most commonly used spell has gone Fireball -> Black Fireball (still use situationally) -> Frenzy eye death beam (still useful due to apparently infinite range/pvp) -> Lightning (still crack out for dragons) -> THROW ROCK. Feels like I’m doing plenty of damage.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Barudak posted:

I never had to wait for night time, it just showed up after the first time on a short delay

Hmn... thanks. I'll try that again later. It never occurred to me this might be the case.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

How does this game still keep having more entire regions and dungeons, what the hell, does it ever end

I don't even want to be here

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Currently a Str/Faith build with like 31 strength and 38 Faith (trying to get to 41 so I can summon the power of the sun in co-op) and I’ve had no issues with its power. Lots of different tools, some flashy moves, a bunch of different damage types to tailor to what you’re fighting and the aforementioned support spells.

I think my most commonly used spell has gone Fireball -> Black Fireball (still use situationally) -> Frenzy eye death beam (still useful due to apparently infinite range/pvp) -> Lightning (still crack out for dragons) -> THROW ROCK. Feels like I’m doing plenty of damage.

Oh yeah I don't have a problem with most of the incantations. It's just the big flashy ones that seem garbage

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

How does this game still keep having more entire regions and dungeons, what the hell, does it ever end

I don't even want to be here

you're actually near the end (of that quest line). one last big push and you're thru. the lake actually isn't even that bad if you've got cures stockpiled/flame cleanse me at the ready

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

anyone know where the pvp/duel "arenas" are at the moment? kinda wanna dip my toes in those waters

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Darke GBF posted:

But what if you weren't allowed to ride your horse?

oh dear...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So uhm, if Sellen is a prisoner in the witchblade ruins there's no way to progress the Blaidd quest?

In anyway, I accidentally attacked her then I had to search the wiki for where I can find the celestial vows and then as I was posting in this thread I accidentally hit R1 and attacked her again and now I need another celestial vow, yay. Anyway if anyone knows how to progress the quest that'd be nice.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

late to the party but what's the best platform to play the game? i'd default to my desktop with a beefy GPU but i also just got a fancy new oled TV (with VRR) and have an XSX and PS5

the comments about stutter specific to the PC is concerning

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ASenileAnimal posted:

the amount of times ive died where a boss has a tiny sliver of health left is ridiculous. i cant tell if im choking or its ai goes into gently caress you mode and starts endlessly spamming its most deadly attacks.

The worst part is I'm acutely aware why this happens to me, I get them to one shot and I abandon all strategy and just spam r1 (which the game probably detects and punishes me for). I'm even aware its wrong as I'm doing it but there is this internal struggle but I wind up dead in the end anyhow. It nearly cost me when I finally finished off mw/ck, which I'm certain I captured with shadowplay but the video just isn't anywhere to be found.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Oneiros posted:

you're actually near the end (of that quest line). one last big push and you're thru. the lake actually isn't even that bad if you've got cures stockpiled/flame cleanse me at the ready

Yeah, honestly the lake is a complete nothingburger. It's super scenic/creepy, but it's absolutely trivial to go through. That's one poison swamp area that I won't hold against Miyazaki, I actually enjoyed it being there to add to the mood.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The lake was cool. I used up all my boluses but that was just because I died to the big guy a couple of times. That entire journey is one of the best in a game ever.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the (optional) boss there does suck hairy rear end, tho

but the lake of rot itself isn't too bad. for a poison lake

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah it looks super scary and awful and you definitely get the impression of descending into hell but honestly the bit that comes right after it is far worse :unsmigghh:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

While the thread is talking about that area, is there a way to get back up on top of the pillars if you gently caress it up the first time? I wandered around for a while and couldn't find a way up that didn't involve being on the button that raises it up initially.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Leonard.:3:
https://twitter.com/ZullieTheWitch/status/1500775770746204160

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

shrike82 posted:

late to the party but what's the best platform to play the game?

The one with mods and Cheat Engine, no contest. This thing is going to be hilariously modded to oblivion, and Cheat Engine is going to be a godsend for fooling around by modding in any weapon from the start amongst other things.

As for performance, for what it's worth, it runs pretty fine here in 1080p default graphics to High, with (very, very) occasional micro stutters, like a .5s-1s stutter once every couple hours at most. That's on a Ryzen 9 3900x, GTX 1050, 32GB RAM.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, I've explored Liurnia of the Lakes and Caelid Wilds pretty thoroughly now, and done Ranni's questline, and now gone to Altus Plateau. It seems way, way easier than what I've been doing for the past few hours. It really seemed like the game pushed me to go to Caelid first, but that zone seems much harder than Altus. It's been a while since I've done a proper legacy dungeon - is there one up here?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oneiros posted:

the (optional) boss there does suck hairy rear end, tho

but the lake of rot itself isn't too bad. for a poison lake

Turns out that you can land around three Moonveil WA R2s as he gets up.

Coincidentally, it takes three consecutive WA R2s to stagger him.

I ended up just taking the rot and cramming as much damage into that opening window as possible to try and kill him before I die.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Bardeh posted:

So, I've explored Liurnia of the Lakes and Caelid Wilds pretty thoroughly now, and done Ranni's questline, and now gone to Altus Plateau. It seems way, way easier than what I've been doing for the past few hours. It really seemed like the game pushed me to go to Caelid first, but that zone seems much harder than Altus. It's been a while since I've done a proper legacy dungeon - is there one up here?

You are currently smooshed between two of them: one to the West and one to the East.

And hooo boy if you wanted legacy dungeons are you gonna have some.

That said, Caelid is significantly easier than either of those two. The zone is filled with big scary mobs but I don't think you're actually supposed to fight them right off. You can basically zoom right to the Shardbearer and knock it out if you want and come back later for clearing/exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Does Redmane Castle have a dungeon lol I just booked Radahn and hosed off