Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

bi crimes posted:

Health emergencies and disasters in the US require you to be employed during your least employable and most vulnerable times. The figgies come with the sword of Damocles, which can seem normal if you’ve never experienced the security of knowing you’ll not be bankrupted if you have a health crisis or develop an arbitrarily expensive chronic condition

Is this really a concern in software? Short term and long term disability along with FMLA and a good healthcare plan should alleviate most concerns and it's not uncommon for a company to give more than that if you need it.

The biggest downside of healthcare in the US for software peeps is the psychology aspect of having to pay. The amount you pay is irrelevant in comparison to compensation differences, but having to pay when you get treatment puts pressure to put it off if it isn't urgent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

asur posted:

Is this really a concern in software? Short term and long term disability along with FMLA and a good healthcare plan should alleviate most concerns and it's not uncommon for a company to give more than that if you need it.

Sure, if your company happens to act in good faith, play by the rules, and recognize the value of retaining senior employees.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

asur posted:

Absolutely having to work so that I can retain my benefits from said software company is a concern, yes. Developing a disability or illness that makes it difficult to work, permanently, is a risk, yes. Your framing requires that your illness neatly feat within the bounds of FMLA or the off the books good will from your leadership you may or may not have which will be fleeting with any organizational changes. As soon as 40 hours a week of work is difficult to do chronically and perhaps permanently, you will be cast into the margins of society. I hope you saved a lot of money or have a partner that also works and can support you and and the ever increasing costs of your disability

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 6, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

asur posted:

Correct

If you got cancer or whatever (ventilator level covid? bad car wreck/coma?) and could only work 1 or even 0 days a week you'd qualify for short term (100% pay usually, for ....1-6 months, I think 90 days is "standard"?) disability, and then you'd switch over to long term disability which, from what I've seen is 60-75% pay and runs indefinitely, and in most(? non-deep red?) states once you're on long term disability they technically can't fire you, and you just become a ~$7000/year budget line item indefinitely

If you work for a startup that's not part of trinet or whatever, you might not get disability, but I think any VC backed company is going to offer it along with life insurance, as they want they pay-out in case the product doesn't ship at least they can recoup some of their investment etc

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
If you're well established at a company, temporarily being unable to work generally isn't a huge issue. If it turns out that you're never going to "get back to normal", you might suddenly find your employer starting to look for reasons to be rid of you. Once you have chronic health problems you'll struggle to ever get a new job, so if you get laid off (which may not be a concern for someone at a large tech company today, but that won't last forever) or just get to the point where you hate your job and are miserable every day, you're just kinda hosed.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

If you're well established at a company, temporarily being unable to work generally isn't a huge issue. If it turns out that you're never going to "get back to normal", you might suddenly find your employer starting to look for reasons to be rid of you. Once you have chronic health problems you'll struggle to ever get a new job, so if you get laid off (which may not be a concern for someone at a large tech company today, but that won't last forever) or just get to the point where you hate your job and are miserable every day, you're just kinda hosed.

I don't disagree with this. I'm more questioning if it's significantly better in other countries. Is it easier in Europe to find a job if you can't work full-time due to chronic illness? Are companies forced to retain workers in these situations due to stronger worker rights? The US does cover the poverty line level with Medicaid and/or disability though again I'm unsure how it compares.

I'd also be curious if anyone has statistics on how likely this is to occur to a person as anecdotally the chance is very very low. Of course, I'm saying all this from the privileged position of a company that offers very good short term, long term disability, FMLA and will go above and beyond.

To be clear, I think the US system is terrible for the majority of people, I just don't think most software peeps fall in that bucket.

asur fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 7, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hadlock posted:

Correct

If you got cancer or whatever (ventilator level covid? bad car wreck/coma?) and could only work 1 or even 0 days a week you'd qualify for short term (100% pay usually, for ....1-6 months, I think 90 days is "standard"?) disability, and then you'd switch over to long term disability which, from what I've seen is 60-75% pay and runs indefinitely, and in most(? non-deep red?) states once you're on long term disability they technically can't fire you, and you just become a ~$7000/year budget line item indefinitely

If you work for a startup that's not part of trinet or whatever, you might not get disability, but I think any VC backed company is going to offer it along with life insurance, as they want they pay-out in case the product doesn't ship at least they can recoup some of their investment etc

The only thing you are entitled to in the US is FMLA which does not give you any pay, but does mean you can't lose your job (so they don't have to pay you) for 12 weeks. The % thing you're talking about is disability insurance, which is sometimes provided by employers, but not a requirement. If they offer it, even if it's a good size company, will vary wildly by region and industry.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

asur posted:

I just don't think most software peeps fall in that bucket.

I think this is the idea you might want to disabuse yourself of. You're a car accident with an in-hospital infection away from tens of thousands in bills that your insurance company, no matter how good your plan is, will fight tooth and nail to get out of.

Health in America is so precarious that it doesn't matter how good your insurance is, it just means you have a slightly smaller chance of being hosed extremely hard.

Edit: I'm not talking about being permanently disabled or out of work, I'm talking about being taken to a hospital that's out of network and your insurance denying the whole claim leaving you with a $100k bill. Doesn't matter how good your job is, that'll still be a huge to impossible hit.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

It's a good reminder to make sure that, as a highly paid computer toucher in the US, you get your disability and life insurance squared away; especially if you have a family to support. These things, additional disability (above the company offering) and term life insurance, are extremely inexpensive (relatively) when you're young-ish and healthy, and they're often not thought about. Divert some of those figgies to things you hope you never need, but you or your family will be thankful for if you do.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I maxed out my stuff I think it's like $35/mo out of my paycheck. Will pay off the mortgage to the house with enough left over to put my kid through college if I accidentally step in front of a bus some day. Hopefully I'll (they'll?) never use it, but the cost benefit ratio is too good not to buy it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

asur posted:

Hahahahaha. My last employer had short term and long term disability. When I actually became long-term disabled, first I had to sue the insurance company to get it at all, and second they denied it after three years because they only pay for "self-reported diseases" (migraine) for three years. Needless to say, this wasn't in the paperwork I was given when I joined the company. I'm sure the insurance company has other ways to deny coverage to people whose problems can be seen on X-ray.

This is the sort of bullshit you only find out about when it's far, far too late.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
european disability bureaucratic fuckups are strictly bureaucratic instead of literally having an entire genre of lawyer just for suing insurance companies about it, but there is still material fuckery all the time. its less poo poo than in east asia in either case tho

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm sure the insurance company has other ways to deny coverage to people whose problems can be seen on X-ray

I have a degenerative condition easily corrected through surgery that I've been trying to deal with on and off for 4 years. Insurance keeps making them try "conservative" treatments that do nothing for me and really are just symptom management as opposed to a fix. Meanwhile my risk of permanent nerve damage just keeps increasing.

It's super frustrating to deal with and the whole "debilitating pain" thing makes it extra awful. Luckily this time around I have a good surgeon who seems like he gives a poo poo and has his staff aggressively clearing roadblocks when they come up. Insurance isn't denying coverage but they're doing everything possible to keep me from getting the actual treatment that would solve the problem. Not that I want parts of my spine replaced with titanium, but it seems to beat the alternative.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A coworker called me today to ask why I wrote some code that someone else had written and presented less than a week ago. I showed him how to use the git integration with his IDE to display the line by line git blame for the file so he could see who'd actually written the code. MSVS 20xx makes it super easy to pull up the line by line history of a file with a right click (source control > git blame), which is almost as nice as VS code's gitlens extension.

Hiring on as a senior engineer at a new company is weird. Everyone else on the team has been here for over a year, and I still wind up teaching them how to use tools I have only been using for a month at least a couple of times a week.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hahahahaha. My last employer had short term and long term disability. When I actually became long-term disabled, first I had to sue the insurance company to get it at all, and second they denied it after three years because they only pay for "self-reported diseases" (migraine) for three years. Needless to say, this wasn't in the paperwork I was given when I joined the company. I'm sure the insurance company has other ways to deny coverage to people whose problems can be seen on X-ray.

This is the sort of bullshit you only find out about when it's far, far too late.
Oof. This is the kind of thing that gives me nightmares. A large portion of my savings plan is an attempt to manage medical emergencies, but with the way medical costs keep rising I don't think I'll ever be able to be confident of being able to pay when my insurance company screws me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

LLSix posted:

A coworker called me today to ask why I wrote some code that someone else had written and presented less than a week ago. I showed him how to use the git integration with his IDE to display the line by line git blame for the file so he could see who'd actually written the code. MSVS 20xx makes it super easy to pull up the line by line history of a file with a right click (source control > git blame), which is almost as nice as VS code's gitlens extension.

Hiring on as a senior engineer at a new company is weird. Everyone else on the team has been here for over a year, and I still wind up teaching them how to use tools I have only been using for a month at least a couple of times a week.

Git especially seems to slide right off people's brains or be a really spiky ball nobody wants to touch or something idk, because it takes almost nothing to become the local git expert (congrats it's you).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you really actually need to understand dags to understand git, so its real actual ds&a crap that needs to be understood. obviously this is anathema for many folks

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
d'ya like dags?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the real trick is somehow translating git's obscure definitions* of things into whatever knowledge you have around boring rear end academic data structures

* which are documented in an utterly impenetrable pseudo-legalese on a man page somewhere. this will not be on the first 3 or 4 man pages you look at

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you know roughly six git commands you can do 90% of what you need to, and it's pretty easy to look up everything else.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you don't have to understand graphs in any meaningful way to understand git. you need to understand what a dag _is_ but it's not like you need to know implementations or use cases or anything

people who think git is difficult or particularly complicated just have another tool that works for them better so they don't give a poo poo about git, and are looking for excuses. there does not exist a remotely competent computer-toucher that would actually find anything in the 99% use-case for git difficult

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In order to understand Git, you have to know the algorithm to find the shortest possible path to a merge conflict

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

redleader posted:

which are documented in an utterly impenetrable pseudo-legalese on a man page somewhere
just here to link to one of my favorite computer joke websites

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

d'ya like dags?

:chord:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I did a revert the other day and was pointed to an internal document telling me I should never do them and should always do hard resets and force push fixes, even on main. When I asked for justification for this heresy I was told they did it once and it lead to a load of conflicts and loss of work so it's just been banned ever since (they didn't know you revert the revert when you've fixed the problem).

I've deleted that document.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

you need to understand what a dag _is_ but

i have no idea what a dag is and ive never heard the term but ive never had problems with git

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the commit network is a dag, prolly your workflow just has it be a tree like most

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
The biggest problem with git is that the porcelain is full of inscrutable flags and a bunch of different ways of doing the same thing. It's a UX nightmare and the man pages don't do much to help.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

marumaru posted:

i have no idea what a dag is and ive never heard the term but ive never had problems with git

Directed Acyclic Graph. A tree.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tree = nodes have 1 or fewer parents
dag = nodes have whatever number parents, just no cycles allowed

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's even a rooted acyclic digraph, so you can insist on correcting them that its a RAD, and irritate pedants everywhere.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
octopus merges are real, and strong, and my friend

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

leper khan posted:

Directed Acyclic Graph. A tree.

DAG, not tree.

Blinkz0rz posted:

The biggest problem with git is that the porcelain is full of inscrutable flags and a bunch of different ways of doing the same thing. It's a UX nightmare and the man pages don't do much to help.

Git Koans:

quote:

Master Git and a novice were walking along a bridge.

The novice, wanting to partake of Master Git's vast knowledge, said: "git branch --help".

Master Git sat down and lectured her on the seven forms of git branch, and their many options.

They resumed walking. A few minutes later they encountered an experienced developer traveling in the opposite direction. He bowed to Master Git and said "git branch -h". Master Git tersely informed him of the most common git branch options. The developer thanked him and continued on his way.

"Master," said the novice, "what is the nature of long and short options for commands? I thought they were equivalent, but when that developer used -h you said something different than when I said --help."

"Perspective is everything," answered the Master.

The novice was puzzled. She decided to experiment and said "git -h branch".

Master Git turned and threw himself off the railing, falling to his death on the rocks below.

Upon seeing this, the novice was enlightened.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

:lol: Sounds about right, but it left off the part that makes git helpful.

Instead of panicking, the student then performed the very first rite their master taught them. "git checkout origin\master". Seconds later, Master Git was alive and well, with no memory of being murdered by his careless student.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
git reflog, you mean, lol

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

git reflog, you mean, lol

I know it's ref log. But I cant help but read it as re-flog every time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Re-flogging myself is any time I work with computers, really.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

leper khan posted:

I know it's ref log. But I cant help but read it as re-flog every time.

:aaaaa:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

you don't have to understand graphs in any meaningful way to understand git. you need to understand what a dag _is_ but it's not like you need to know implementations or use cases or anything

people who think git is difficult or particularly complicated just have another tool that works for them better so they don't give a poo poo about git, and are looking for excuses. there does not exist a remotely competent computer-toucher that would actually find anything in the 99% use-case for git difficult

Blinkz0rz posted:

I was told once that Git's command set is intentionally differently-named from CVS/SVN's to keep people from trying to use it like SVN. Unfortunately this results in many of its commands having names that make no goddamn sense. I have no idea if this story is true, but it would explain a lot.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Okay so serious question. In git, is a "commit"

1. a snapshot of the complete state of the repo at one moment in time, or
2. the diff between two such snapshots?

If this is explained in the git documentation, do show me where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

Okay so serious question. In git, is a "commit"

1. a snapshot of the complete state of the repo at one moment in time, or
2. the diff between two such snapshots?

If this is explained in the git documentation, do show me where.

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Internals-Git-Objects

See commit objects