Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

azflyboy posted:

If you're talking about Mathias Kok, he's famously an rear end to basically everyone who criticizes Aerosoft, so none of that is surprising.

Pretty sure that's the guy.

I was vaguely aware of the situation (I follow CCM and have watched his development streams). But man that Kok guy is something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

azflyboy posted:

In other MSFS news, Aerosoft are still being complete asshats.

They released a Twin Otter that had a ton of issues (it was basically a copy-paste of their P3d product, but with a janky flight model, more bugs, and a completely broken sound set), and when someone released a mod that substantially improved the flight model, Aerosoft filed a DMCA notice, had it taken offline, and then threatened to doxx the guy who created it.

The mod in question was simply a modified version of one of the .cfg files included in the product (which is useless if you don't already own the product), which is an incredibly common way of modifying MSFS aircraft, and Aerosoft doesn't seem to understand that there's a substantial difference between what they can legally do and what's smart to do from a PR standpoint

Meh, as a modder that's when you just roll your eyes and distribute a patch file instead.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

It's buggy as hell for me, sometimes the window doesn't even appear and it has gotten stuck once to the point where I literally couldn't move my plane (previous version without preplanning always worked great though), but when it works it's really good! I hated the convoluted pushback system in MSFS and was hoping for someone to copy the BetterPushback thing from X-Plane and that's basically what this is. It also works better in VR than BetterPushback.

I'm sure the bugs will be worked out quickly enough but you really can't go wrong with this free thing. Baffling that Asobo didn't do something like this natively, it seems such an obvious way to do it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I picked up the TDS Garmin NXi software for MSFS2020 and it’s really nice. I do wish it had the latest Navdata but that’s my only gripe with it.

That being said, I’ve been doing more XP11 flying as of late. Downloaded vStates Ortho for the majority of the Eastern US, got LiveTraffic plugin working (which also led me down the rabbit hole of making my own ADS-B receiver), xChecklist, StableApproach, and the JP Evo KingAir C90 mod, and I’ve been really happy.

Edit: Even going full nerd and making my own liveries.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 14, 2022

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Haven't tried VR with this in months. Has it had any performance improvements with the recent updates?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

JayKay posted:

JP Evo KingAir C90 mod, and I’ve been really happy.

That and the UncertifiedPilot C90 mod have been most of my xPlane flying these days. The number of different engine failures I've encountered is almost comical. Took off from a gravel runway without your interial separator on? Engine failure on departure. Moved the prop lever too quickly? Broken prop shaft. Introduce fuel before 15% N1? Engine fire. Half of the fun the first two weeks was trying to figure out what I was doing to cause my airplane to die. It was also nice to have actual turboprop engine logic simulated like rising ITT and falling torque.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

A partial release of VNAV was added to the experimental branch of the FBW A32NX earlier today.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a add on that replaces the G1000 with a tablet? Or some sort of add on where it's easy to tune? Maybe typing in a frequency/id?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

slidebite posted:

Is there a add on that replaces the G1000 with a tablet? Or some sort of add on where it's easy to tune? Maybe typing in a frequency/id?

MSFS Touch Panel lets you pull up a virtual G1000 on any browser so long as it's on your network. I haven't tried it with a tablet specifically but it worked ok with my Surfacebook.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Huh, I think I'll download that for an old galaxy tab I don't use for anything else and see if I can make it work. Thanks.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

God, after the latest World Update for MSFS my starting loadtime has seemingly quadrupled, it's crazy. Most of the wait is before they even start showcasing the world update itself in the splash screens. What in the gently caress happened? I'm not even sure what to try.

EDIT: Wait...I bought the Twin Otter too, and it has like 13 different variants that aren't just livery changes. I wonder if that's it instead.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 4, 2022

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

After the last update, or NVIDIA driver update, or just for the lulz, the game became so stuttery it’s completely unplayable. 12900k + 3080 + 32GB DDR5 5600.

Would a reinstall likely fix it? I’m at the point where if I uninstall it without a certainty that it will fix the problem, it’s probably gonna remain uninstalled, as the installation process is ridiculous.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Have they changed the installer/updater/etc or is it still the same bullshit as a year ago? I don't want to run the game for 20 hours to reinstall it and find out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's the same bullshit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

As a year ago, yes.
It's not quite the same old self-DDoS tool any more though, so there's always that. :haw:

Granted, that was a bit of a rare bug so maybe it's not much of an improvement to begin with.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 4, 2022

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Squiggle posted:

God, after the latest World Update for MSFS my starting loadtime has seemingly quadrupled, it's crazy. Most of the wait is before they even start showcasing the world update itself in the splash screens. What in the gently caress happened? I'm not even sure what to try.

EDIT: Wait...I bought the Twin Otter too, and it has like 13 different variants that aren't just livery changes. I wonder if that's it instead.

If you don't already have it, MSFS Addon Linker is great for figuring out if a specific addon is causing issues, since it makes it super easy to enable and disable any 3rd party content you have installed (except stuff from the marketplace), to see if there's something causing a problem.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Have they changed the installer/updater/etc or is it still the same bullshit as a year ago? I don't want to run the game for 20 hours to reinstall it and find out.

I believe they changed it so it consumes way fewer system resources than it used to.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I believe they changed it so it consumes way fewer system resources than it used to.

I recently did a reinstall. Not sure about the resources but the download was just as slow, if not slower, than the first time.

It's quite remarkable to see a download system so bad these days. Great testimonial for Azure services.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's not the download speed itself that's the issue, but the fact that downloading and unpacking must happen in sequence instead of simultaneously, with the unpacking process taking forever too. So that part still sucks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not the download speed itself that's the issue, but the fact that downloading and unpacking must happen in sequence instead of simultaneously, with the unpacking process taking forever too. So that part still sucks.

Watching network traffic go to zero while it decompresses a file, spike for a second, then go to zero while it decompresses a file, for ten hours.

This was a solved problem more than twenty years ago.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

God drat it, what is the loving deal with USB 3, 3.1, 3.2? I officially have more peripherals that only work right connected to USB 2 slots than I have USB 2 slots.

My Honeycomb Alpha developed some crazy juddering even when hands-off but it at least started centered so I would just deadzone it... then after about 10 minutes the centerpoint just shifts 3% to the right, which is enough to escape the deadzone and start turning at neutral. Disconnecting and reconnecting it would fix it for 10 minutes or so. I was about to ask support when I found a forum post from April 2021 with exactly the same behavior that was fixed by plugging into USB 2 instead of 3.2. Worked like a charm, and I couldn't get it to act right on ANY of the 3.x ports on this motherboard.

Likewise my pedal input is jumpy on USB 3, and my headset's wireless receiver keeps disconnecting/reconnecting on it too. It's frustrating.

All that aside, and the Aerosoft drama aside too, I love the fuckin' Twin Otter. Found the flight model modifications that CptMustache made for it before they took it down, and it's a fun plane that makes me feel like Baloo in TaleSpin.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 5, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Must be some power saving bullshit. I guess you could try changing this setting in the power plan you use:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Unfortunately it looks like my plan already has that off, but I suspect you're right that it's power or power-draw related. Or maybe even interference? Who knows...I'm sure I'll get annoyed and curious and start messing with it again, but it's nice to at least be able to fly straight in the meantime.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Have you tried using a powered USB hub?

Completely ancedotal, but I use a passive 4 port USB 2.0 hub to one of the front USB3 ports of my PC case. Either CH Pedals+Stick+Throttle or CH Pedals +Alpha+Bravo without issue.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 5, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Hmm - haven't got a powered USB hub but I've used my monitor in the past for my T.16000M setup, but haven't tried the Honeycomb stuff. Does that uh count as powered? I'll happily give it a shot.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I used to be obsessed (sort of pointlessly) about plugging everything into the back of the tower, but man having a powered USB hub easy to reach on top of my desk for flight sim accessories has solved so many problems for me. Especially when you boot a game that insists on pulling input from an idle flight stick and the only way to fix it is to unplug it.

Definitely recommend. I got a cheapo one years ago and it’s worked fine.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Agree with the powered USB hub suggestion, it made a big difference with a lot of my peripherals. I actually recently replaced my Anker one with on of these switched hubs so that I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging my flight sim stuff whenever I switch to an FPS because the joystick interferes with the controls and it's been great.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Especially when you boot a game that insists on pulling input from an idle flight stick and the only way to fix it is to unplug it.

Holy crap - I've been playing with vjoy and joystick gremlin to tidy up All The Levers and just realised this might solve this problem for controllers as well. Thanks for sparking that idea.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think my favorite is Yakuza Zero's PC port failing to respond to gamepad input if any joysticks or other flight sim accessory type things are plugged in. Which is kind of impressive since Windows provides a single function you can call to sample gamepad input for player 1, 2, 3, or 4 that a game can just call repeatedly and not worry about any low level stuff, so they went out of their way to do gamepad input the hard way I guess.

Real Yakuza use a gamepad don't play flight sims

simble
May 11, 2004

I've had great success with HidHide for this (I also have a powered usb hub with switchable ports, just in case).

https://github.com/ViGEm/HidHide

This lets you whitelist certain applications to see all connected HID devices. The rest get a cloaked list of HID devices. So you add all of your joystick configuration software to the whitelist. Then you can control the cloak with a few checkboxes. There's also a CLI so you could script it as well, but I think it's still a WIP.

In Elden Ring for example the controller just wouldn't work unless it was the only thing plugged in. Just had to go in and hide everything except the controller and you're good.

This is also good for limiting the number of devices showing up in sims as well. I use vJoy and Gremlin as well, so I hide everything except the vJoy devices and then it makes DCS for example, much cleaner to deal with, UI wise.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

^^^ all of this, with all the buttons and knobs and levers sensibly ordered on 2 vjoy devices, it's a great system.

I think it's been mostly Unity games where indie devs haven't considered the multiple controller issue until hassled in their steam discussion, looking forward to never worrying about it again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

I think my favorite is Yakuza Zero's PC port failing to respond to gamepad input if any joysticks or other flight sim accessory type things are plugged in. Which is kind of impressive since Windows provides a single function you can call to sample gamepad input for player 1, 2, 3, or 4 that a game can just call repeatedly and not worry about any low level stuff, so they went out of their way to do gamepad input the hard way I guess.

Real Yakuza use a gamepad don't play flight sims

I reinstalled Dead Space recently and it crashes instantly to desktop if you have any joysticks plugged in, because it only supports XBox 360 controllers and apparently has zero error handling for seeing a "game controller device" that is not one of those.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I reinstalled Dead Space recently and it crashes instantly to desktop if you have any joysticks plugged in, because it only supports XBox 360 controllers and apparently has zero error handling for seeing a "game controller device" that is not one of those.

xboxports.txt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh yeah no it's an incredibly bad port. It wouldn't run at all when I first downloaded it, even though it was from GoG. I eventually got it to run pretty nicely but it took literally days. Search my name and dead space if you want to play it again; I made an effortpost about it in yospos.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Any real gamer knows that when you boot up a 3rd person action game, you have to spend a minute or two setting your throttle to just the right setting to stop your character from running forward/backward.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Any real gamer knows that when you boot up a 3rd person action game, you have to spend a minute or two setting your throttle to just the right setting to stop your character from running forward/backward.

Ubisoft games are the worst at letting every connected joystick control your character without letting you configure any of them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/hJ8RC7m.mp4

This looks like a fun thing to do…
:stare:

Which runway is this?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

It's a famous one whose name completely escapes me. Gustaf III (TFFJ) in St. Baarts.

quote:

Gustaf III Airport[3] (IATA: SBH[3], ICAO: TFFJ[1]), also known as Saint Barthélemy Airport, Rémy de Haenen Airport, sometimes as St. Jean Airport (French: Aérodrome de St Jean[1]), is a public use airport located in the village of St. Jean on the Caribbean island of Saint Barthélemy.

It's in the Caribbean I think, but it's not St. Maarten (that's the beach landing with people getting blasted at the fence).

JayKay fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 6, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sigher posted:

Which runway is this?

It's runway 10 at St. Bart's. (St Barthelemy).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S....9!4d-62.833333

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that's st barts (TFFJ)

i'm gonna go crash into it