Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's pretty much word-for-word the justification for the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, and the "interventions" elsewhere around the world.

At it's core they're kinda stating that they want to establish a monopoly on violence in that area, but with added propaganda spice.

The PAL video standard has a per-second frame rate of 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If we could send both tonty blair and putin to the hague that would be nice.
Yeah some of the Russian sources are doing the "well actually this is no worse than what the coalition did to Iraq" and the best response to that would be to go "good point" and arrest blair.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for all the replies about charities, but it turns out that Family are not interested in sending money via AirBnB, Etsy, or any other means. In the meantime their bags of rice are enjoying an extended stay in a carrier bag. I predict they will get 'tidied' into the regular storecupboard supplies in a fortnight.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

YOu should deliver unto them a powerful roundhouse kick

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Even just thinking about doing that would make all the ligaments in my legs rupture. Could I do a really heavy sigh and maybe an eye roll (after a suitable warm up)?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Yeah but you better make it utterly devastating

I believe in you!!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Red Oktober posted:

And really, it’s not about making the care homes nicer, it’s about making the prisons more poo poo.

They don’t care about care homes, except as a means to bash prisons. It’s like the men who bang on about domestic abuse of males and male suicide, both of which are clearly awful, during women’s day, week etc, and then completely ignore it the other 51 weeks of the year.

And never organize any kind of 'day' to celebrate International Men's Day.

Locally, we (CLP women's forum) organized several really good event days for International Women's Day. When I circulated the date and themes for International Men's Day suggesting the menfolk might like to do similar for IMD? Not a peep.

That was a memory I didn't need bringing back - the horrors of the school language lab.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I've been watching a lot of Walker Texas Ranger lately (normally because it's the only thing on at 2am that doesn't require a lot of brainpower from me and I can't be assed to change the tv channel). There are some whacky episodes with Native American ghosts and so on .

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 7, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That MEN article got deleted apparently lol, you would think it would be easier to report on russia bad without accidentally including nazis but it keeps happening.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Literally the legal maximum on how much they're allowed to charge on a CFA, cool.

(also the most common amount for firms to charge so don't let me put you off, it all sounds on the level to me, the form saying "you are liable for all of my costs here is my hourly rate" is scary I know but it's genuinely nothing to worry about & it is literally a legal requirement for them to say that)

Hmm, this is reassuring but does it mean they can't possibly charge me any money beyond 25% of the winnings? They promise not to in the email, but I don't know if that would count for anything against actually signing a contract agreeing to pay whatever. How come it's a legal requirement?

I like how she compares her current £275 bill to the OP's current £197 bill and still says the OP is needs to use less. Presumably she thinks their bill is going up because they plan to triple their usage, rather than any kind of national price rise on the horizon.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

That MEN article got deleted apparently lol, you would think it would be easier to report on russia bad without accidentally including nazis but it keeps happening.

Unfortunately…

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1500922414015913989

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Something weird is going on here, a helicopter has been buzzing low over Chelmsford since about 16.00. I'm not suggesting its the first 2ave 9f Russians, but even Essex Police could have caught whoever they are searching for by now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I did a bit of research. Kluka was reported on as having been settled in Glossop in Derbyshire in 1947; however, the Galicia Division were mainly settled in Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincolnshire, with smaller groups in Dalkeith and Lockerbie, and they weren't assigned to the EVWs until 1948. So it's possible that he was one of the Ukrainian forced labourers who were captured during D-Day and who joined up with Western Ukrainian units in the Polish Army to avoid repatriation to the USSR. Those units were in regular contact with the pre-war Ukrainian community in Manchester and a lot of them settled in the area between 1946-47.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's really odd though that he would say he fought stalin, like I get not wanting to be repatriated to the soviet union because they're exactly the sort of idiots who would execute or imprison anybody who didn't die fighting the germans, but specifically fighting the red army invading ukraine in the second world war afaik only happened at one point... which was a year and change after the nazis conquered it in operation barbarossa.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think the issue is less exactly what this guy did and more the absolute historical ignorance of the press. If through some kind of loophole it turns out he wasn’t actually fighting with the Nazis it probably would have been a good idea to mention it in the article, as “I fought Stalin in WW2” has obvious implications, or they should be obvious anyway.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

e: nevermind

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

Something weird is going on here, a helicopter has been buzzing low over Chelmsford since about 16.00. I'm not suggesting its the first 2ave 9f Russians, but even Essex Police could have caught whoever they are searching for by now.

Getting :tinfoil: about air traffic is my thing, we need to discuss royalties. Anyway Flightradar24 doesn't show any helicopter traffic around Chelmsford yesterday afternoon/evening, but does show a couple of small GA planes buzzing around from 1500 - they're noisy enough, especially when low, to sound like choppers.

(Police helicopters generally don't show up on FR24 because they have ADS-B turned off for nebulous "security" reasons even though military traffic normally has it turned on)

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Getting :tinfoil: about air traffic is my thing, we need to discuss royalties. Anyway Flightradar24 doesn't show any helicopter traffic around Chelmsford yesterday afternoon/evening, but does show a couple of small GA planes buzzing around from 1500 - they're noisy enough, especially when low, to sound like choppers.

(Police helicopters generally don't show up on FR24 because they have ADS-B turned off for nebulous "security" reasons even though military traffic normally has it turned on)

I knew you'd know. It was going 9n until about 2am

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I get a lot of Chinooks flying overhead (being in the general vicinity of RAF Odiham) and none of them ever show up on those ADS-B trackers either. Have to say though, it’s quite aan experience being buzzed by one of them flying just above treetop height. Those things are big!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol, not only is UK refusing to take in Ukrainians, it also would like Ireland to get more racist

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1500964937207795713?t=hcM3ouFK3pWQCHRzmbUFPg&s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Catzilla posted:

I get a lot of Chinooks flying overhead (being in the general vicinity of RAF Odiham) and none of them ever show up on those ADS-B trackers either. Have to say though, it’s quite aan experience being buzzed by one of them flying just above treetop height. Those things are big!

Weird, I get loads of them coming down the Thames (often from Odiham/Farnborough, heading for Foulness) and they (almost) always *do* show up on FR24 - might just be you've not got any nerds nearby running a receiver.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jabby posted:

Hmm, this is reassuring but does it mean they can't possibly charge me any money beyond 25% of the winnings? They promise not to in the email, but I don't know if that would count for anything against actually signing a contract agreeing to pay whatever. How come it's a legal requirement?
iirc the way it works is basically: you've got 2 separate contracts with the solicitor. One of them is for them to do the work at their normal rate, so they are required to provide all the information about their charge out rates &c (that's the scary document). The other is the conditional fee arrangement, under which they agree not to charge you that. They have to do it that way as the industry is tightly regulated (iirc CFAs were originally used by law firms to get around the regulations, so now they're regulated too, hence the 25% maximum). The only circumstance in which they could charge you full whack is if you breach the CFA - which is extremely hard to do, I remember asking at the firm I used to work at & apparently it had happened in that department literally once ever, with a client that had provided a bunch of fraudulent evidence & basically wasted everybody's time all the way up to trial when it came out.

One thing that occurred to me last night though that I should probably have mentioned (seemed obvious to me but in hindsight it absolutely wouldn't be obvious to clients): your solicitor won't charge you if you lose. You may still be liable for the other side's legal costs. You should talk to the solicitors about that: costs aren't recoverable in some types of claim (but it seems unlikely that they'd be happy to use a CFA in those cases), and the costs can vary wildly in other claims. e.g., it's not uncommon for costs in defamation claims to run into the hundreds of thousands, which would be a serious problem if there aren't many people involved in this action. In straightforward contract claims it's generally a lot lower, I've personally not seen it go much higher than ~30k for a first instance hearing in the more complex cases, which is nbd if there's a few thousand of you. Definitely ask about it though.

e: also if they're taking a big claim on a CFA they are probably pretty drat sure that they won't lose, but even a 99% certainty is still a 1% risk so it's definitely something you should ask

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 8, 2022

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Weird, I get loads of them coming down the Thames (often from Odiham/Farnborough, heading for Foulness) and they (almost) always *do* show up on FR24 - might just be you've not got any nerds nearby running a receiver.

Probably, I am in Rural Hampshire. I wonder if they are required to turn them on in London airspace though given how busy it is?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

It's really odd though that he would say he fought stalin, like I get not wanting to be repatriated to the soviet union because they're exactly the sort of idiots who would execute or imprison anybody who didn't die fighting the germans, but specifically fighting the red army invading ukraine in the second world war afaik only happened at one point... which was a year and change after the nazis conquered it in operation barbarossa.

Yeah, which is why I stressed "possible". He's also in his late 90s and if he had to repatriate because of Stalin he could have muddled up who he was fighting. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be in the least shocked to learn that he was a Nazi, but there's just enough to give me a twitch of doubt.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Catzilla posted:

Probably, I am in Rural Hampshire. I wonder if they are required to turn them on in London airspace though given how busy it is?

When people find out you’re near Hook, how many have implored you to go throw a brick through virgin medias offices?

Ps if I supply a brick..

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/DailyDorries/status/1501113206034608131

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Oy vey.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Twitter preview just cuts off the revelation that someone is talking about homosexuality like someone discovering something new and revolting and unknowable, openly and without a hint of shame, in 2014.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
On one hand you're allowed to write characters with terrible opinions without being terrible yourself, as long as those as used interestingly in building a character, because people like that do exist.

On the other hand we already know she's terrible and this reads like some Ben Shapiro grade shitfic, so :wtc:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Catzilla posted:

You could always see if they'll send you a freebie.

(Or if you're some kind of ultraturbonerd who just happens to have a Pi and an old DVB-T dongle lying around you can build your own, not that any kind of saddo like that posts here or uses the free Business account they give you to practice latter-day augury, attempting to find deeper meaning and truth in the movements of air traffic around London)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

"The note" (the millenials' version of "the bins") appeared in the wild today.
Was talking with a friend (age 40) who is of the "why do people keep bringing politics in to it" "most people are centrist" "why can't we all get along" variety and she was saying how in the next few months most people are going to be completely buggered financially.
I reminded her that the tories had been in power for 12 years now. And she replies "but the last labour government was just as bad" "was it?" I said. "Yes I remember reading about it" "Did you?" I said.
"Hm. Now you come to mention it.... But there was The Note" (the 'no money left' note for those who are too young to remember!)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You could always see if they'll send you a freebie.

(Or if you're some kind of ultraturbonerd who just happens to have a Pi and an old DVB-T dongle lying around you can build your own, not that any kind of saddo like that posts here or uses the free Business account they give you to practice latter-day augury, attempting to find deeper meaning and truth in the movements of air traffic around London)

Indeed not. I can't even think of a poster ITT who even remotely approaches that ... clear the runway... (non-aggressive ellipsises)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 8, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Cross via gonadic io from the Irish Politics thread:

LMBO get hosed Priti.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1501192047633608707

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Borrovan posted:

iirc the way it works is basically: you've got 2 separate contracts with the solicitor. One of them is for them to do the work at their normal rate, so they are required to provide all the information about their charge out rates &c (that's the scary document). The other is the conditional fee arrangement, under which they agree not to charge you that. They have to do it that way as the industry is tightly regulated (iirc CFAs were originally used by law firms to get around the regulations, so now they're regulated too, hence the 25% maximum). The only circumstance in which they could charge you full whack is if you breach the CFA - which is extremely hard to do, I remember asking at the firm I used to work at & apparently it had happened in that department literally once ever, with a client that had provided a bunch of fraudulent evidence & basically wasted everybody's time all the way up to trial when it came out.

One thing that occurred to me last night though that I should probably have mentioned (seemed obvious to me but in hindsight it absolutely wouldn't be obvious to clients): your solicitor won't charge you if you lose. You may still be liable for the other side's legal costs. You should talk to the solicitors about that: costs aren't recoverable in some types of claim (but it seems unlikely that they'd be happy to use a CFA in those cases), and the costs can vary wildly in other claims. e.g., it's not uncommon for costs in defamation claims to run into the hundreds of thousands, which would be a serious problem if there aren't many people involved in this action. In straightforward contract claims it's generally a lot lower, I've personally not seen it go much higher than ~30k for a first instance hearing in the more complex cases, which is nbd if there's a few thousand of you. Definitely ask about it though.

e: also if they're taking a big claim on a CFA they are probably pretty drat sure that they won't lose, but even a 99% certainty is still a 1% risk so it's definitely something you should ask

That's very interesting, thanks. I don't suppose you have any idea what the potential payout might be for a data breach lawsuit like this?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Found out earlier Rowling spent most of yesterday telling Laurie Penny that it was actually good and funny that Julie Bindel was making fun of her cPTSD because authors need to suck it up. The extremely decent human has logged on! She's picking up fans, too:

https://twitter.com/DouglasKMurray/status/1500894640614084608

e: no need to see all that, yeah

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
why are we posting terf bullshit ITT?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

why are we posting terf bullshit ITT?

Specifically I was laughing at the fact that even with everything Labour still aren't good enough for her.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

Found out earlier Rowling spent most of yesterday
Rowling has spent the whole week on an extended Normal One.

Helping the displaced women and children of Ukraine? No. Claiming that because some cis men pretended to be priests to abuse children, Nicola Sturgeon wants... you can guess the rest.

https://twitter.com/ChrisTheHills/status/1500229638097936390

I wonder if she's got a new film coming out or something.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm just back home from a "getting married" wedding bubble with very little Internet connection.

I saw something briefly about a gas price spike the day I left for it but haven't been able to follow it since.

Basically I'm still wondering if my decision to take a fixed price last week, with an estimate of £210 a month (up from £130 on the current cap) was a good idea or not.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Canadians are losing their minds because petrol prices have gone up... it's now at the equivalent of ~£1.03 per litre.

Like, it is a real crisis for a lot of people here so I don't want to minimise it but it's also wild that they don't realise they've had really cheap prices relative to average earnings, compared to much of the world, for a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kin posted:

I'm just back home from a "getting married" wedding bubble with very little Internet connection.

I saw something briefly about a gas price spike the day I left for it but haven't been able to follow it since.

Basically I'm still wondering if my decision to take a fixed price last week, with an estimate of £210 a month (up from £130 on the current cap) was a good idea or not.

Congratulations (on the wedding assuming it was yours!)

Fuel prices:

Someone was telling me yesterday that a friend of theirs is whatever the chauffeur equivalent of a luxury yacht is (pilot?) and they just paid £500k to refill the tank! (Obviously not their own money but of whichever oligarch - Russian or otherwise - they drive the boat for) and apparently the quotes were going up £30k a day as the prices changed!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 8, 2022