Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I have found guides for it and they help but I am having a hard time focusing on islands to do because I'm never sure which ones will lead to a long bullshit quest that requires dailies to get the token, or which ones are just long and lovely but don't require dailies, etc. I think I just need to pin the Maxroll island page on my second monitor and start busting them out. This push from 1000 to 1100 is pretty grueling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

explosivo posted:

I have found guides for it and they help but I am having a hard time focusing on islands to do because I'm never sure which ones will lead to a long bullshit quest that requires dailies to get the token, or which ones are just long and lovely but don't require dailies, etc. I think I just need to pin the Maxroll island page on my second monitor and start busting them out. This push from 1000 to 1100 is pretty grueling.

The Island directory on Maxroll will tell you at a quick glance the token source (i.e. "Quest" vs "Dailies" vs "RNG") https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/category/island. Just know that "Quest" can be deceptive, since the questline might require emotes gated behind other content or some random item from across the world.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hefty posted:

Decided to see what this islands stuff is all about and the next thing in the calendar was spida island — turns out that’s not a great intro to island content. Nobody had level 30 mining (I read a guide after the fact) so we sat there for 15 minutes pressing G on consecutively smaller eggs.

That's the spida island experience!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I dunno if I'm being too much of a cheapskate or a special snowflake that wants to be different from the crowd, but I've been real tempted to get into some engravings that I think people are sleeping on and selling for dirt cheap, like Heavy Armor/Emergency Shield for survivability or Ether Predator for damage and protection in one. Yes, I know as a Deadeye I should be focusing on getting something like Master of Ambush or Adrenaline or other meta picks instead (haha Grudge) which I'll eventually need, and I feel like I'm a pretty good dodger already so maybe it'd be best not to get used to having protection as a crutch, but man, they really seem helpful and people sleep on everything that isn't super damage. Especially Ether Predator: sure it takes some time to build up but it's so easy and satisfying to keep the stacks up since it refreshes every pickup and it's so versatile in giving you both damage and protection. Kind of reminds me of Monster Hunter, while everyone wanted damage damage damage I liked getting things like Earplugs (which does somewhat provide easy damage by letting you hit for free during roars).

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

FutureCop posted:

I dunno if I'm being too much of a cheapskate or a special snowflake that wants to be different from the crowd, but I've been real tempted to get into some engravings that I think people are sleeping on and selling for dirt cheap, like Heavy Armor/Emergency Shield for survivability or Ether Predator for damage and protection in one. Yes, I know as a Deadeye I should be focusing on getting something like Master of Ambush or Adrenaline or other meta picks instead (haha Grudge) which I'll eventually need, and I feel like I'm a pretty good dodger already so maybe it'd be best not to get used to having protection as a crutch, but man, they really seem helpful and people sleep on everything that isn't super damage. Especially Ether Predator: sure it takes some time to build up but it's so easy and satisfying to keep the stacks up since it refreshes every pickup and it's so versatile in giving you both damage and protection. Kind of reminds me of Monster Hunter, while everyone wanted damage damage damage I liked getting things like Earplugs (which does somewhat provide easy damage by letting you hit for free during roars).

I had the same thought as well. I did the same thing in monster hunter world too. Its good to maximize damage but that's only when you're really comfortable with your class. People tend to follow the meta and just stack everything on damage and end up dying. If you're not good with the game then adding some defensive layers is good too. A dead person does no damage. It can also cause a party wipe. I have been considering getting some movement speed/mobility on my sorceress.

I also run ether predator (not by choice my ability stone with all-out attack came with it) and I find it pretty decent. Adds a decent amount of damage and defense. It also stacks up pretty fast during a long boss fight. While questing or running around you can usually keep it on max stacks too.

In T3 you can start getting multiple maxed out engravings so having some for utility should be ok. At least that is my plan. I'm going to avoid grudge and cursed doll if possible.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Squishies running grudge/cursed doll, flipping out and raging at getting pancaked by a big monster will not ever stop entertaining me.

Pointing at your corpse on my monitor and big belly laughing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hefty posted:

Decided to see what this islands stuff is all about and the next thing in the calendar was spida island — turns out that’s not a great intro to island content. Nobody had level 30 mining (I read a guide after the fact) so we sat there for 15 minutes pressing G on consecutively smaller eggs.
Go to alakir or erasmos or tooki or any of the daily islands that aren't pvp (check compass under your map). Just about anything is more fun than spida island.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
If you want to do islands, just follow the speed run to t3 guide on max roll. It is by far the best list of islands you should do. There are some ok islands not on it but if you just want to get resources, it is the best. Following it will give you almost 100% of t1 mats needed.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Khorne posted:

They released a change to matchmaking code that results in it taking a bit longer but being significantly more reliable.

I just got DCed. I am unsure how more reliable this new matchmaking has become.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Givin posted:

Squishies running grudge/cursed doll, flipping out and raging at getting pancaked by a big monster will not ever stop entertaining me.

Pointing at your corpse on my monitor and big belly laughing.

This is the nightmare of matchmaking. People who follow guides but don't read the guides.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Flair posted:

I just got DCed. I am unsure how more reliable this new matchmaking has become.

I've lost 4 legendary maps in the last hour just to this, what's the easiest way to contact Bezos for reimbursement?

e. 7 legendary maps actually

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Trying to wrap my ahead around some of the more technical aspects and its a bit difficult due to the inconsistency in translation.

Like for example, Spirit Absorption and Adrenaline. Is Atk. Power the same as just Atk? I assume damage % up is a final modifier to damage rather than a stat modifier, so stuff like Master of Ambush is on a different scale all together than attack power.

Then in my tripods, I have stuff like Outgoing Damage and Base Damage. I assume Base Damage is the actual number that shows up in the tooltip while Outgoing Damage would be affected by all final modifiers like enemy vulnerability ups or damage ups on myself.

And then on top of that, how much does defense actually help for survivability? I can see in my tooltip for the stat:

110% Phys defense is applied to the Scrapper class
Phys damage from foes at the same level -75.51%

So does that mean my physical defense amount I get from armor gets multiplied by 2.1, which results in taking 75% less physical damage from equally leveled foes?

I'm at ilvl 1070 and so far haven't run into an encounter where the enrage timer actually mattered while pugging nearly everything. I assume this means the content at this point in time isn't so tightly tuned assuming everyone is running all offensive options where available so there's plenty of room to run defensives to just survive longer in fights that end up doing a lot damage.

That being said, a surprising amount of damage is avoidable if you know the boss's patterns. Take the final boss of Sea of Indolence for example. During his first phase he does a backwards water kick with no telegraph extremely often. I ate that kick a ton of times trying to look for a tell and burned through a ton of pots. Turns out, there's no tell, the back of the boss just isn't very safe during his first phase so just stick to his side. Suddenly everything becomes dodgeable. Then in his second phase, point blank right behind the boss is safe because there's a blindspot where a lot his attacks miss. On my actual clear I ended up using I think just a single pot because I was just able to avoid so much.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hyper Inferno posted:

I'm at ilvl 1070 and so far haven't run into an encounter where the enrage timer actually mattered while pugging nearly everything. I assume this means the content at this point in time isn't so tightly tuned assuming everyone is running all offensive options where available so there's plenty of room to run defensives to just survive longer in fights that end up doing a lot damage.
In some of the t2 8 player encounters you can encounter enrage if enough people die & there is no one with tier3 gear levels in your group. I don't think I've seen an enrage anywhere else either.

I haven't found good resources for technical things. I've written my own simulation for upgrading because the spreadsheets I've seen take a really naive approach. I might try to work on a combat sim of some kind, but LA requires moving, burst windows, lots of mechanics, etc, so raw dps doesn't matter so much. This is part of why burst classes & specs pull ahead in the really hard content that our version doesn't have yet. You can't guarantee uptime but you can guarantee burst windows.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 8, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The only exception to burst superiority in many situations is mobility superiority. I really like piano mage more than igniter for a lot of content because you have little to no cast times and can throw out spells whenever convenient.

While it’s satisfying to drop some million damage meteors, it’s really nice to not have the end of your meteor cast interrupted by a boss AoE or be killed while casting.

I really enjoy wardancer for the same reason. Excellent mobility and fast hits.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Khorne posted:

In some of the t2 8 player encounters you can encounter enrage if enough people die & there is no one with tier3 gear levels in your group. I don't think I've seen an enrage anywhere else either.

I haven't found good resources for technical things. I've written my own simulation for upgrading because the spreadsheets I've seen take a really naive approach. I might try to work on a combat sim of some kind, but LA requires moving, burst windows, lots of mechanics, etc, so raw dps doesn't matter so much. This is part of why burst classes & specs pull ahead in the really hard content that our version doesn't have yet. You can't guarantee uptime but you can guarantee burst windows.

Yeah, moving from a FFXIV mindset of uptime = everything to this game took a little bit of adjusting. Failing the DPS check cause people are dying is a prime example where more survivability would beat the enrage, not more damage.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
The Dreamgull Island quest chain cannot be anything other than an incredible troll by the developers. Run around the island a dozen times, structured so that you're forced to make a full circuit each time? You're not good enough to pass up these honing mats.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

RoboCicero posted:

The Dreamgull Island quest chain cannot be anything other than an incredible troll by the developers. Run around the island a dozen times, structured so that you're forced to make a full circuit each time? You're not good enough to pass up these honing mats.
It was a deliberate joke. I don't know the full context but maybe someone else does. The game has lots of light-hearted stuff based on memes, complaints people make, etc.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

Steamcharts show that the peak times have shaved off 25% of concurrent players within the last month, but my queue times have grown 40%. Did something happen?

Oh no, the queue keeps growing:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Flair posted:

Oh no, the queue keeps growing:

I may not like being on Vykas for the sake of not being on the same server as any goon community, but by god at least we never have a queue.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Khorne posted:

It was a deliberate joke. I don't know the full context but maybe someone else does. The game has lots of light-hearted stuff based on memes, complaints people make, etc.

I think the joke is that the login screen queue has the sounds of seagulls screeching all the time and the game had similar queue problems in Korea when the game launched. Seagull island was released as a deliberate nod to that.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

There seems to be a leaked roadmap going around (it was on the official site but has been taken down because they want to update it.) But it should give an idea what is going to be coming I suppose. I assume we'll be getting one new class every month at this rate. So it'll be awhile if you want to try the other classes. Raids are coming at warp speed though. One month to learn one before the next one is out.

-A new storyline centered around the first Guardian Slayer, Kadan

-2 new classes (Destroyer in April, Arcana in May)

-The first PvP season (March)

-New Abyss Raid (March)

-A new continent [Southern Vern] (April)

-Valtan Normal/Hard Legion Raid (April)

-Guardian raid [Deskaluda] for 1415+ (April)

-Guardian raid [Kungelanium] for 1465+ (May)

-Thronespire (May)

-Vykas Normal/Hard Legion Raid (May)

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Decided I was going to try to get all the continents to 100% and man it seems like they actively don't want you to do that. For starters you need to max your rapport with everyone and clear the ultra-long timer field raid bosses. But that's just a slowdown mechanic that'll force you to spend a month or whatever doing daily dances and keeping an eye on timers. Some of the other requirements are just plain not nice, though.

Cooking is full of bullshit. There are merchants that are only around sometimes with the ingredients. There are ingredients you need to buy that are named like IX-III!I!I!II1I1III with 5 other ingredients next to it with almost the exact same name and only one of them is right. There are ingredients that you need to hold onto for a minute, and then they'll be good for one minute, and then they'll turn useless. There are ingredients in dungeons that you need to stand next to for 2 hours while they age and if you pick them up early they're useless.

Also the hidden stories come with a hidden timer and need to be picked up in order. Some have 3-5 in the chain on a tightish timer and the last or second to last pickup is at the end of a dungeon. So that sucks. I honestly have 0 clue how anyone ever completed these without a guide

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
It's a lot of bullshit but it's kinda hilarious. These devs have no problem with trolling the playerbase.

You didn't even mention the straight up "grind mobs for drops" for the collection part, either. You can at least buy and sell those on the AH, though, I think. They keep dropping for sure even if you've collected enough of a type.

I did notice (while totally following a guide) that you get a buff on yourself for the hidden stories stuff. A couple I've done have been the "you have less than a minute to find the next thing" but mostly they've been 20 minutes or so.

Maybe it gets even worse in the later continents. I started at the beginning and quickly realized that the rapport and collectibles were going to take ages and decided to settle for just doing the easy stuff.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The mokoko seed in Phantom Palace even has an entire miniboss side quest you have to do to get to it. It's kind of incredible honestly.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

The amount of disrespect this game tosses at you is amazing really. Just look at this bullshit

One of those, the starred one, is one of 5 ingredients you need to craft in order to cook the item. Yes all 5 ingredients are grouped with almost identical looking (useless) ingredients like that.

This game just clowns on you for trying to accomplish anything and I can respect that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thing is that this is all side bullshit that is catering to a very specific type of player. It’s pretty awesome tbh.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

Cooking is full of bullshit. There are merchants that are only around sometimes with the ingredients. There are ingredients you need to buy that are named like IX-III!I!I!II1I1III with 5 other ingredients next to it with almost the exact same name and only one of them is right. There are ingredients that you need to hold onto for a minute, and then they'll be good for one minute, and then they'll turn useless. There are ingredients in dungeons that you need to stand next to for 2 hours while they age and if you pick them up early they're useless.
100% is a longterm goal. Getting 40%-80% is much quicker. Wandering Merchants sell epic & legendary rapport items and are one of the easiest ways to get good card sets. Picking up cooking ingredients while monitoring their spawns for Seria/Sion/Momoka/Wei or the rapport items is the way to go imo.

There's a discord for Una where people announce the merchant spawns. There's also Saint-Bot in that discord which is kind of federated and also reports spawns.

I like that LA is a cool hybrid of horizontal+vertical and the amount of effort the dev team puts into all kinds of weird stuff isn't something you see much anymore.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 8, 2022

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

The amount of disrespect this game tosses at you is amazing really. Just look at this bullshit

One of those, the starred one, is one of 5 ingredients you need to craft in order to cook the item. Yes all 5 ingredients are grouped with almost identical looking (useless) ingredients like that.

This game just clowns on you for trying to accomplish anything and I can respect that

Don't forget the gelato that's worthless if you eat it before the timer finishes counting down, the various foods that are locked behind getting an RNG success on some item or the million silver martini.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Thing is that this is all side bullshit that is catering to a very specific type of player. It’s pretty awesome tbh.

Oh yeah absolutely none of this is necessary. Usually the reward for spending a ton of time doing this is like +3 skill points somewhere down the line. Or maybe a weird transformation effect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Welcome

to The Cube

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Good Citizen posted:

This is hilarious and rules. More games ought to mercilessly troll completionists with arbitrary bullshit like this.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

The amount of disrespect this game tosses at you is amazing really.

I was about to complain about how I struggle with the raid mechanics that are like “touch the red orb if the boss does a red flash, white orb if white flash”. Like I can even see what color the boss is doing with all the spells/auras/swirlies my own team is throwing around!

Now I realize: this is the same disrespect but for the raiders instead of the completionists.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

JagGator posted:

I was about to complain about how I struggle with the raid mechanics that are like “touch the red orb if the boss does a red flash, white orb if white flash”. Like I can even see what color the boss is doing with all the spells/auras/swirlies my own team is throwing around!

Now I realize: this is the same disrespect but for the raiders instead of the completionists.

You should disable other players effects (except healing) in the settings.
Otherwise raids with 8 people are impossible.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

the panacea posted:

This makes a massive different. I think specific setting is disable spell effects except buffs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

the panacea posted:

I wish it could do this automatically when you went to a 4 or 8 man raid. Or at least give you an option to have it swap automatically.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Saw a bunch of bots farming respawning glowing enemies, I'm guessing for adventure tome drops that are then funneled onto the market for gold. Super quick respawn rate on them too - this was in the city part of Delphi Township.

Also did a chaos gate run where around half the characters were bots that autoran into walls and didn't participate. Once the boss died those very same bots (all with names like qtnxuhfdmqnasf) started a bidding war on a legendary T1 map, it ended at roughly 5500 gold.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Definitely check the market for the adventure tome collectables (especially the lower level bot accessible regions), you can get some good deals. I got the purple enemy drop collectables from rethramis and yuria last night for 5g combined.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Khorne posted:

There's a discord for Una where people announce the merchant spawns. There's also Saint-Bot in that discord which is kind of federated and also reports spawns.

Could you please link this una discord?

Thank you

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The second Bard awakening skill seems really lackluster compared to the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

welp since discord is down I guess I'll ask here, which West Europe server are the goons on and should I bail on my babby 1st char and switch there if it's not Moonkeep?