Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what do we want
This poll is closed.
nothing 64 22.70%
no quid pro quo 63 22.34%
it all 44 15.60%
YTURMP 111 39.36%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

this poo poo used to be tight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Harton posted:

this poo poo used to be tight!

Same

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Basebf555 posted:

I just find it hard to believe because when you buy a car and then turn around and sell it a year later you're selling it at a loss. Literally when you drive the car off the lot it loses like a third of it's value right then and there. So every single year you're losing thousands of dollars on top of the cost of buying a new car.

exactly, it's wild.
I didn't want to keep chatting about how your husband seems really stupid so I just kind of kept the :stare: to myself after confirming that they actually bought 2 new cars every year.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1501242521548115971

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

I guess Roger's going to have to autograph a few more rocks for his legal defense fund.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you used to be able to drive any Mercedes you wanted for like .. 900$ a month

I wonder if they still do that

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
heard about someone yesterday who goes to subway and orders a sandwich with only pickles and cheese. I'm not sure of the bread type.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this has got to be a top ten non trump tweet

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
https://twitter.com/photowhitehouse/status/1501244420682829827

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

UFOTacoMan posted:

heard about someone yesterday who goes to subway and orders a sandwich with only pickles and cheese. I'm not sure of the bread type.

veggie cubano. its a secret menu item like the pizza sub

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1501245611852677120?t=-CK4yqnRyrrYBSwC4PBIoA&s=19

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

UFOTacoMan posted:

I had former co-worker tell me that her husband made them buy new cars every year. One for him and one for her even if she didn't want to replace her vehicle.
These are not wealthy people. I was flabbergasted and gobsmacked.

Basebf555 posted:

I assume they mean they lease a new car every year? Still dumb but some people do it.

Back when I bought my first Outback in 2014 I sorta became casual friends with the guy who sold it to me, who had worked at car dealerships for three decades. He told me that the big frontier at the time was to get people to trade in a car they still have a loan out on. They still owe more than the car trades in for, so they get a new loan and roll the old loan into it. The car note just turns into a perpetual forever bill for them like doing minimum payments on a credit card for the rest of your life.

One woman came in and bought a new Outback and brought it back four days later because the driver's door had been gouged somehow. She asked them to take the car back and they wouldn't, so she traded it in at vastly less than she paid due to the damage to the car and rolled her four day loan into a new loan on the same kind and tier of car without damage.

People are insane about cars, in part because they've been programmed by a century of advertising to believe that their car is not a disposable utility and is actually a mobile billboard advertising their worth to the world.

Basebf555 posted:

I just find it hard to believe because when you buy a car and then turn around and sell it a year later you're selling it at a loss. Literally when you drive the car off the lot it loses like a third of it's value right then and there. So every single year you're losing thousands of dollars on top of the cost of buying a new car.

This hasn't been true for a while, the used car market has getting steadily more insane since Cars for Clunkers and especially in places like I live where cars rot out after a decade or so. I can still take the car I bought last April and sell it to Carvana for more than I paid.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

At first I was like ohh no gas prices but then I realized I don't care about it that much

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

And I don't even know where we get our gas from anyway

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CODChimera posted:

At first I was like ohh no gas prices but then I realized I don't care about it that much

The first time I hear a pickup truck guy cry about how much it costs to fill his shitheap, I'm going to get a perpetual boner that never goes away

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

pee. poo. gently caress you.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

so how bad is russia suffering from all these sanctions and people cutting off their exports?

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm going to get a perpetual boner that never goes away

Enjoy your blood clot

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

war...war never changes

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
a lot of people go into a car transaction thinking they're gonna get one over on the dealer. you buy a car like every three years, the sales guy you're talking to sells twelve a week. you will never get one over on him, the best you can do is go in looking to get minimally hosed.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
https://twitter.com/equalityfl/status/1501238301222748163

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

war...war has changed

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

"Mr President! Mr President! Bobson Dugnutt from Big Ol News... can I have a go in the firetruck?"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The first time I hear a pickup truck guy cry about how much it costs to fill his shitheap, I'm going to get a perpetual boner that never goes away

see it's not all bad heh

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

my coworker just loudly proclaimed this at lunch and also made allusions to being "ganged up on" if Trumpo gets another term because he is a truck driver

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

anyway my 2009 Volvo has been pretty good to me but it just needed a major repair that was a pain in the rear end and it's sitting north of 150,000 and I'm not looking forward to the inevitable replacement process

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

exhausting

https://twitter.com/realLizUSA/status/1501247613923901443

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I honestly don't even read these. Too long & boring

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dustcat posted:

There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars.

I once could have quoted the next line here too. SAD!

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
i had to buy a new car last night because the engine gave out on the car I’ve driven for the last 12 years. Used car prices are pretty hosed because new cars are in such short supply. a bunch of cars with 100,000 miles on them going for 15,000 to 18,000. Got lucky and walked into the dealership about 10 minutes after they found out they were getting a deliver of 2 new cars.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

plucky America

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

CODChimera posted:

well yeah, you can walk everywhere because you live in wee tiny new zealand. stroll down to dunedin to take in a game at the house of pain, then wander on back to aukland for a beer. takes like 20 minutes each way

new zealand is cool af

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I just want a small older truck to have an easier time hauling things but the options are either "pay out the rear end for a tacoma" or "Ford ranger" which is a no no because i want something actually reliable

My friends first vehicle was his dads tiny Toyota pickup that was older then we were. It didn't have AC and the front was dented where his dad mowed down some dogs in the fog. It was so small and light we almost drove it off a canal bank because it couldn't get any traction in the mud and just slid around. The football team would prank him by picking it up and moving it around tje school parking lot

titty_baby_ has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Mar 8, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

My 2007 Toyota Matrix is approaching 300k km and there is sweet gently caress all available right now to replace it with so I will keep it for another year and hope the car market loosens up somewhat.

I hate buying cars so much. When I got this one I waited until we haggled the price down then I sprung the trade in on them, which pissed them off. Then they wanted us to sit through their finance guy's rap even though it was really late and after trying to interrupt his rap a few times my partner just turned her back to him and started loudly talking to me "why don't we just buy this thing outright and go home? I'm hungry." It was funny watching the realization this guy was getting sweet gently caress all from us but he just couldn't stop talking. Like, dude, no, I don't want an extended warranty on the engine or drive train. I am buying a loving TOYOTA they run forever

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

titty_baby_ posted:

The football team would prank him by picking it up and moving it around tje school parking lot

Lmao

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Slumfrog posted:

well yeah, you can walk everywhere because you live in wee tiny new zealand. stroll down to dunedin to take in a game at the house of pain, then wander on back to aukland for a beer. takes like 20 minutes each way

new zealand is cool af
Auckland is a shithole

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

I just want a small older truck to have an easier time hauling things but the options are either "pay out the rear end for a tacoma" or "Ford ranger" which is a no no because i want something actually reliable

My friends first vehicle was his dads tiny Toyota pickup that was older then we were. It didn't have AC and the front was dented where his dad mowed down some dogs in the dog. It was so small and light we almost drove it off a canal bank because it couldn't get any traction in the mud and just slid around. The football team would prank him by picking it up and moving it around tje school parking lot

ford just released a new small truck

it looks like plastic garbage but it exists

you can also rent trucks from like Home Depot for 20$ an hour

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

the flintstones officially banned in florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

well at least he’s not bitching about the rigged stolen election