Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't think that not playing optimally in random dungeons makes you an rear end in a top hat. There are plenty of people who don't do their rotation properly and end up doing half the damage they should have, or don't have a full up to date set of gear, or don't heal well, or only pull one pack at a time, or don't use their defensive cooldowns properly. That's the expectation for that content.

Like if you randomly queue into Delubrum Reginae lots of people don't have an optimal set of lost actions and it's fine, but if you join a speedrun group and don't bring them you're being an rear end in a top hat because that's the expectation of joining that group.

ImpAtom posted:

It is hilarious to picture most jobs without their 70.

Red Mage having to use only Verflare. BLM without Foul. SMN without Bahamut, MNK without Brotherhood, AST without Minor Arcana.

Out of those i've only levelled Red mage. Not having Verholy wasn't a big deal because i just used Verflare instead and corrected for the slight mana imbalance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

mods i ask you unironically to ban this sick filth

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

CJ posted:

I don't think that not playing optimally in random dungeons makes you an rear end in a top hat. There are plenty of people who don't do their rotation properly and end up doing half the damage they should have, or don't have a full up to date set of gear, or don't heal well, or only pull one pack at a time, or don't use their defensive cooldowns properly. That's the expectation for that content.

Like if you randomly queue into Delubrum Reginae lots of people don't have an optimal set of lost actions and it's fine, but if you join a speedrun group and don't bring them you're being an rear end in a top hat because that's the expectation of joining that group.

Out of those i've only levelled Red mage. Not having Verholy wasn't a big deal because i just used Verflare instead and corrected for the slight mana imbalance.

There's a difference between not playing optimally and not having your core mitigation tool on a tank that is already widely-agreed on to be the hardest tank to heal.

You're an rear end in a top hat to every healer and every group you play this class with.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also it does suck when people queue into dungeons and half rear end it. I try to call them out and help them when I can straighten things up. No one wants a 20 minute dungeon run if it can be done under 15.

A massive 48 person raid where first timers can’t even access the best lost actions isn’t a comparable situation. You’ve made the game harder on yourself and those who queue with you because you didn’t like the paladin and warrior quests. That’s ridiculous.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ImpAtom posted:

It is hilarious to picture most jobs without their 70.

Red Mage having to use only Verflare. BLM without Foul. SMN without Bahamut, MNK without Brotherhood, AST without Minor Arcana.

DRG without Nastrond, DNC without Technical Finish, PLD without Passage of Arms-wait, okay, maybe not that one.

Also do your loving quests, with flying and skip cutscene it takes like 15 min tops.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Doing job quests is part of leveling the job. If you haven't done them, then you don't have the job leveled imo.

If you're going to whine this much about it just buy the level skip.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJ posted:

Yok do know that the correct one assures a proc right? You are sacrificing a lot of damage over time.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

CJ posted:

“Slight mana imbalance”

Uh, you are most assuringly leaving *a lot* of damage on the table trying to correct this at all

My god why are you being so stupidly stubborn about this

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MechaX posted:

My god why are you being so stupidly stubborn about this

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

CJ source your quotes! this has gone on long enough!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

wow, this patch is a gigantic pain in the rear end. it looks like squeenix is down too?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CJ posted:

Dumb dumb

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
This dog pile is infinitely weirder than one guy leveling a job to 90 through roulettes without doing their Stormblood quests because they're never touching the job again until 7.0.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
no it isnt

do your job quest

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hra Mormo posted:

This dog pile is infinitely weirder than one guy leveling a job to 90 through roulettes without doing their Stormblood quests because they're never touching the job again until 7.0.

How bout..No.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FFXIV is a multiplayer game and you owe it to the people you are playing with to not deliberately waste their time through things like not doing job quests.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hi all, I started playing recently and am running into some trouble. I’ve been been loving the main story quests and have been focusing exclusively on those because they’re so good, but I’ve hit a bottleneck a few hours into Heavensward where people have been leaving a few minutes into every dungeon I’m in, calling me an idiot on the way out. They say I’m dragging down the party, but I don’t know how that’s possible. I’m overleveled for the dungeons (I’m queueing for Sohm Al as a level 55 ARC) and my gear is decent (mostly dungeon drops in the 45-51 range). What am I doing wrong here?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

other things that are good: the rdm job quests, why would you not want to help that nice catboy and his adopted daughter

edit: in hindsight, drat this game has a lot of sad dads and their adopted daughters storylines

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 8, 2022

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

blastron posted:

Hi all, I started playing recently and am running into some trouble. I’ve been been loving the main story quests and have been focusing exclusively on those because they’re so good, but I’ve hit a bottleneck a few hours into Heavensward where people have been leaving a few minutes into every dungeon I’m in, calling me an idiot on the way out. They say I’m dragging down the party, but I don’t know how that’s possible. I’m overleveled for the dungeons (I’m queueing for Sohm Al as a level 55 ARC) and my gear is decent (mostly dungeon drops in the 45-51 range). What am I doing wrong here?

If you aren't doing dumb poo poo that results in you dying frequently, they're probably mad about you not having done the job quests that will "upgrade" Arcanist into Summoner/Scholar. You still get to keep your old abilities when you equip a job stone, AFAIK, so there's not a lot of reason to stick to a base class when it's possible to upgrade, unless you want to make things more difficult for yourself (and your teammates). :shrug:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Bloody Emissary posted:

If you aren't doing dumb poo poo that results in you dying frequently, they're probably mad about you not having done the job quests that will "upgrade" Arcanist into Summoner/Scholar. You still get to keep your old abilities when you equip a job stone, AFAIK, so there's not a lot of reason to stick to a base class when it's possible to upgrade, unless you want to make things more difficult for yourself (and your teammates). :shrug:

:thejoke:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
What I don’t get is how someone who managed to buy a house prior to Endwalker would find doing job quests too much of a hassle.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Doing the HW crafter quests and there's a great moment in the Armorer questline in which a tank refuses to upgrade his gear and essentially tells the healer to adjust. This game is great :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

CJ posted:

There's a difference between playing suboptimally because you haven't learned to play the game correctly and playing the game suboptimally because you're deliberately choosing to hamstring yourself by not unlocking all of your job's abilities. The first one just means you're bad, while the second makes you bad and an rear end in a top hat, because you know you're doing things wrong and refusing to accept responsibility for making things harder on yourself and the rest of your party.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I refuse to upgrade my gear. New gear is just a waste of time and bad game design. They should just make everything glams. To protest this injustice I will only be doing dungeons in my level 1 2b glams

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ImpAtom posted:

I refuse to upgrade my gear. New gear is just a waste of time and bad game design. They should just make everything glams. To protest this injustice I will only be doing dungeons in my level 1 2b glams

drat you for sneakily editing out clams

Everything should be clams

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

of all the class quests to dismiss because you assume the devs don't care about the story, you picked dark knight

just lmao really

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

drat you for sneakily editing out clams

Everything should be clams

I was very tempted not to. My phoneposting sucks

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So I've been playing FFXIV on Linux for several months now after finally dropping Windows. I'm using Steam Proton on Linux Mint, and it's been flawless, except for the glaring issue of not being able to properly run the new launcher to actually start the game. Up until yesterday, I've been able to just force the old launcher in the config settings. Unfortunately, yesterday's update broke this because they now force the new launcher no matter what. Even if you try to put NOSTEAM=1 in your launch options, you won't be able to log in because of this Steam account linking they're making us do.

Here's some bug tracking stuff I found today as well as an official forum thread calling out the issue:

https://www.protondb.com/app/39210
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/580
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48006

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/457352-Old-launcher-no-longer-working/

Just calling it out here in case anyone's interested in helping tackle this issue, and as a warning to anyone interested in playing FFXIV in Linux. Again, the game itself has been perfect; it's just the lovely new launcher that's the problem!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 8, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Kerrzhe posted:

of all the class quests to dismiss because you assume the devs don't care about the story, you picked dark knight

just lmao really

It's been a while but i'm pretty sure one of the last quests i did had the moogles do a funny dance and tell me the dark arts were actually the power of friendship or something. I don't think i'm missing out.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultimately I find it tough to sympathize with the CJ position, it's probably under 30 mins to get through most stormblood class quests if you're mashing skip. But I also find it hard to care enough to get mad about as long as it's constrained to the roulettes where everyone can just push buttons randomly and it makes minimal difference

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CJ posted:

You’re an rear end in a top hat.

100%

Now own up to it. You are actively dragging down others experience because you can’t be bothered to skip some cutscenes and take half an hour to get an extremely important ability. I don’t get how you think the expectation for content is “everyone half-asses it.” I’ve been playing since 2.0 and I’m levelling all my jobs to 90 right now and I can’t tell you the only ones to truly half-rear end things have always been 100% pure strain assholes. Sometimes people don’t always have best gear, sometimes someone just plain sucks at the game but when that happens the expectation is when the player isn’t at their best they’re sorry about it because they realize they’ve made things hard for other players. You want to not unlock Blackest Night? Fine, then run with trusts otherwise you’re an rear end in a top hat.

I played with a DRK who queued for the 89 dungeon with mainly ilvl 530 gear still. He was surprised when the healer rage quit after the 2nd pull because surprise surprise he took damage like crazy and actively made the experience like a drat savage raid for the poor healer. I called him out on why he didn’t have the free 560 gear and his answer was the same as yours “it’s dungeons, and I’m almost 90. I couldn’t be bothered.” He is an rear end in a top hat. Is he allowed to do what he did? Sure, but anyone who plays like that is a huge poo poo.

Pulling 1 pack at a time is NOT the same thing. If someone wants to take things slow because that’s how their comfortable with things, that’s perfectly fine. You can do what you want, it’s your sub, but please admit that you’re being a poo poo.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the simple solution is to do the job quests and skip the cutscenes

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CJ unironically pulling out the "you dont pay my sub" but in more words.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

All you had to do was follow the drat train eat the drat eggs do the drat quests CJ!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

So I've been playing FFXIV on Linux for several months now after finally dropping Windows. I'm using Steam Proton on Linux Mint, and it's been flawless, except for the glaring issue of not being able to properly run the new launcher to actually start the game. Up until yesterday, I've been able to just force the old launcher in the config settings. Unfortunately, yesterday's update broke this because they now force the new launcher no matter what. Even if you try to put NOSTEAM=1 in your launch options, you won't be able to log in because of this Steam account linking they're making us do.

Here's some bug tracking stuff I found today as well as an official forum thread calling out the issue:

https://www.protondb.com/app/39210
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/580
https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48006

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/457352-Old-launcher-no-longer-working/

Just calling it out here in case anyone's interested in helping tackle this issue, and as a warning to anyone interested in playing FFXIV in Linux. Again, the game itself has been perfect; it's just the lovely new launcher that's the problem!

Based on a PC Gamer article I saw this morning, it sounds like lots of Steam players are having issues related to the change, even on Windows.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I saw one person say it didn't work because they had katakana in their Steam name and had to change it to basic characters. Seems like a pretty big oversight for a Japanese game to make.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Based on a PC Gamer article I saw this morning, it sounds like lots of Steam players are having issues related to the change, even on Windows.

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding, I think Steam players can't use thirdparty launchers anymore?
Hopefully the devs of those launchers can find a workaround.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thundarr posted:

CJ posted:

I saw one person say it didn't work because they had katakana in their Steam name and had to change it to basic characters. Seems like a pretty big oversight for a Japanese game to make.

Veotax posted:

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding, I think Steam players can't use thirdparty launchers anymore?
Hopefully the devs of those launchers can find a workaround.

All of these are correct.

On the plus side, GabeN apparently plays a lot of FFXIV and has been doing so on the Steam Deck, too. Hopefully that gets us a fix one way or another.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

CJ posted:

It's been a while but i'm pretty sure one of the last quests i did had the moogles do a funny dance and tell me the dark arts were actually the power of friendship or something. I don't think i'm missing out.

The moogles weren't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
FfXIV launcher has a message that they're working on compatibility with the new Steam stuff so hopefully it won't be out of commission for too long.