Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nothing is locking you in, you can always try a different weapon. Just because you have a +6 whatever doesn't mean everything less upgraded is actually worse. I've moved away from my "main" weapon a lot of times and often switch to a cooler weapon or something more situational just to try it, and in a lot of cases have added it to my rotation. I even have a few really good weapons that aren't upgraded at all but do plenty of damage and/or have excellent status effects or arts.

You really can use whatever weapon you want and the only actual locking is based on your stat choices. Which you can respec anyway. Sure some of the upgrade materials can be hard to farm at various points in the game but that doesn't make weapons useless if you can't get them to some arbitrary upgrade level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

thecluckmeme posted:

VaatiVidya has a spoilery guide on his YouTube channel on how to be incredibly overpowered and upgrade any weapon to +12 within the first 2 hours of the game through a combination of just knowing where to find the items to unlock upgrade materials as infinite purchases from merchants and exploiting teleports to endgame areas if you really want to just try put everything.

It still doesn't excuse how bad the souls games are for trying out multiple weapons from the beginning of the game, and locking you into usually one boring weapon while giving you interesting weapons that require a shitload of investment to really let them shine.

I kinda like locking you into a few weapons per play through. It makes everyone’s experience totally different. I’m running some bleed dagger (Redulva?) main hand with a bloodhound greatsword offhand and the combination of the two isn’t conventional but works reasonably well. Enemies that resist both staggering and bleed are my kryptonite.

I also upgraded a morningstar to +15 and a longbow to +12 and can swap to a parrying shield offhand when needed. I fiddled with the paired ornate swords for a bit and although they look flashy and cool, they don’t perform as well. I have yet to find a dex weapon I’m in love with. Early game I ran a rapier and parrying shield.

Edit: I also have a scythe +12 I’ve never actually used.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SLOSifl posted:

Nothing is locking you in, you can always try a different weapon. Just because you have a +6 whatever doesn't mean everything less upgraded is actually worse. I've moved away from my "main" weapon a lot of times and often switch to a cooler weapon or something more situational just to try it, and in a lot of cases have added it to my rotation. I even have a few really good weapons that aren't upgraded at all but do plenty of damage and/or have excellent status effects or arts.

You really can use whatever weapon you want and the only actual locking is based on your stat choices. Which you can respec anyway. Sure some of the upgrade materials can be hard to farm at various points in the game but that doesn't make weapons useless if you can't get them to some arbitrary upgrade level.

Because of the normal/somber stone distribution issue I mentioned above, one of my weapons does twice as much damage as all of my others and it’s still fairly time consuming to kill things with it here in northern caelid with 40 dexterity, which does make my less upgraded options pretty useless lol

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Because of the normal/somber stone distribution issue I mentioned above, one of my weapons does twice as much damage as all of my others and it’s still fairly time consuming to kill things here in northern caelid with 40 dexterity, which does make my less upgraded options pretty useless lol

A lot of the big things in Caelid are meant (?) to be fought on horseback (the dogs and birds especially). That threw me for a while too.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Try some of the later bosses with an unupgraded weapon and come back to say it doesn't matter. Healthpools through the roof and big weapons barely tickle them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Upgrading weapons is the same as lowering boss hp, so only do it if you want to play the game on easy mode like a casual instead of gitting gud :c00lbutt:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

A lot of the big things in Caelid are meant (?) to be fought on horseback (the dogs and birds especially). That threw me for a while too.

That doesn’t have anything to do with upgraded weapon damage differences?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SLOSifl posted:

If I have a longsword +12 that's boring as poo poo but does twice the amount of damage as a cool uh glowing shortsword or something, I'm not going to use the cool glowing shortsword. If I fully upgraded the cool glowing shortsword and it does more damage than my longsword then why did I waste materials on the longsword in the first place, if I had know the cool glowing shortsword was in the game then I probably would've just gotten that

Every game needs the upgrade system of DQ XI: things can only be upgraded three times, but they use a fairly common material, the boost in power isn't insignificant, and so it means you can extend the life of a piece of equipment you quite like for some time longer before finally finding something that's better and is also cool.

That or just have it take runes, not some material that requires hunting down.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Literally just let me take the +12 off the plain sword and let me put it on the cool sword.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
My ER problem now at present is that the game is giving me fuckall material to upgrade past my current +4 and the mine dungeons have skipped straight to the next few tiers. Which in retrospect is because I switched to a bastard sword so yeah, this is That One Janky Thing in every FromSoft game (blood vials, adaptability, hating mages, etc) has.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Celebration posted:

My ER problem now at present is that the game is giving me fuckall material to upgrade past my current +4 and the mine dungeons have skipped straight to the next few tiers. Which in retrospect is because I switched to a bastard sword so yeah, this is That One Janky Thing in every FromSoft game (blood vials, adaptability, hating mages, etc) has.

+5 and especially +6 somber stones are crazy hard to come by for some reason even though I already had 7s and 8s.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
gently caress all the different status effects in this game.

We've got all the returning Dark Souls classics.
Poison? Yup. Same as before, though it seems to build up faster, but it's such a slow damage tick it's easy to work around.
Bleed? You betcha.
Toxic/Fast poison/rot? Sure enough!
Frenzy/Madness? Why yes, let's bring back the worst one that existed so far! I love a status that builds up even AFTER you've removed yourself from what causes it for several more seconds, and then just does a bleed effect but more.

And then we've got a few more:
Scarlett rot? What if poison also did a bleed effect when it procced? Pretty cool, huh?
Frost? What if bleed, but also it made you take more damage?
Death Blight? Remember curse? It's like that, only you have a brief moment you think you WON'T die because it does a chunk of initial damage, (like bleed...again) so you think you're fine, then you just die anyway, lol. Fooled you.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Frank Frank posted:

+5 and especially +6 somber stones are crazy hard to come by for some reason even though I already had 7s and 8s.

l usually find if this happens to me, it's because I skipped an easier area and went to a harder one by accident.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

gently caress all the different status effects in this game.

We've got all the returning Dark Souls classics.
Poison? Yup. Same as before, though it seems to build up faster, but it's such a slow damage tick it's easy to work around.
Bleed? You betcha.
Toxic/Fast poison/rot? Sure enough!
Frenzy/Madness? Why yes, let's bring back the worst one that existed so far! I love a status that builds up even AFTER you've removed yourself from what causes it for several more seconds, and then just does a bleed effect but more.

And then we've got a few more:
Scarlett rot? What if poison also did a bleed effect when it procced? Pretty cool, huh?
Frost? What if bleed, but also it made you take more damage?
Death Blight? Remember curse? It's like that, only you have a brief moment you think you WON'T die because it does a chunk of initial damage, (like bleed...again) so you think you're fine, then you just die anyway, lol. Fooled you.

What I want to know is why bleed builds up through shields.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

kazil posted:

I fought a couple of NPC phantoms with great shields. I'm so glad bleed builds through shields.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Morpheus posted:

I just figured it was him being a moody teenager lol.

But yeah it smacks of something that was supposed to be developed further, with maybe some quieter discussion from dad. Frankly I'm glad his state didn't last longer. Fire the goddamn arrows Atreus!

There’s a really spoilery additional detail that adds on to that: That mood swing started after they shared the wine, Atreus just gets real lovely when he’s got a buzz going. Which is totally accurate to Norse myth considering Atreus’s other name.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kratos was about to beat the game before that little poo poo flew off the handle, resulting in a failed any % speedrun and forcing them to replay the Helheim level. I'd be mad too.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Atreus acting like an rear end is funny because he does it for like 30 mins of gameplay before Kratos takes him to the proverbial bathroom in the grocery store.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond: I'm getting a little tired of monsters just inexplicably losing access to moves they've been able to learn since the generation they were introduced in.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

kazil posted:

Messes up your knuckles

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are contentious mechanics that people defend, but nobody would complain out if they were absent?

Stuff like weapon durability, or your aim being lovely in an action-rpg until you level up your Gun stat.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

This is very specific but I was watching a streamer go over this survey Blizzard put out on Diablo 2 remastered. One of the questions was should they remove quivers or make quivers unlimited. The answers were split and the streamer said they should leave the quivers alone.

But quivers are such a nothing item. The only non-gimmick use for them is for the Amazon class. And only really half of the class at that. So 6/7 of the classes it doesn't even exist as a mechanic. For the Amazon they're almost nothing. They contain 250 arrows and cost basically nothing to refill. If you want to stay out of town extra long maybe you put another quiver or 2 in your backpack. They also drop and you can just pick them up to refresh your stacks. Maybe sometimes you forget and are like "oh I forgot to buy arrows" and then you town portal back to town and back in like 5 seconds.

They add almost nothing beyond the tiniest bit of irrelevant busywork and yet people care about it because it exist. And for no other reason. The streamer was like oh it would make the game easier and you wouldn't have to track your arrows and make sure to pick them up but that poo poo is just rationalization for sure. People will just glom on to literally anything so long as it already exists.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I would be more mad about status effects if they weren't so effective against bosses. Everything I've fought that wasn't visibly undead or some sort of statue has been super susceptible to bleed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Something dumb bugging me about Mario Kart 8 is the pause menu options - the steering assist and auto-accelerate functions are toggled by the L & R triggers, exactly what get bumped all the time if you pause and set the controller down. I can't count the number of times I suddenly realize I can't make a tight turn in a race because the game's being too-helpful in trying to force me on the main course. I even toggled it when setting the controller down to write this complaint!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are contentious mechanics that people defend, but nobody would complain out if they were absent?

Stuff like weapon durability, or your aim being lovely in an action-rpg until you level up your Gun stat.

I can't imagine anyone being upset about losing things like food and water meters, outside of games where its a main point like Don't Starve or Sims or whatever

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

thecluckmeme posted:

VaatiVidya has a spoilery guide on his YouTube channel on how to be incredibly overpowered and upgrade any weapon to +12 within the first 2 hours of the game through a combination of just knowing where to find the items to unlock upgrade materials as infinite purchases from merchants and exploiting teleports to endgame areas if you really want to just try put everything.

It still doesn't excuse how bad the souls games are for trying out multiple weapons from the beginning of the game, and locking you into usually one boring weapon while giving you interesting weapons that require a shitload of investment to really let them shine.

I’m really more worried about stuff like arteria grass and gravewort, less just stones and somber stones.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I think carry limits (can be) fun and hoovering up every pencil and coffee cup is stupid, but I wouldn't be opposed to including a toggle for all the garbage collectors out there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

if you're gonna include vendor trash for flavor
A) make sure it can all be easily distinguished and sold
B) don't ever make it a quest item
C) don't involve it in crafting

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Opopanax posted:

I can't imagine anyone being upset about losing things like food and water meters, outside of games where its a main point like Don't Starve or Sims or whatever

There are actually people who mod those into games like Skyrim.

Tunicate posted:

IMO when you pick it up it immediately converts to cash. That way you still get the flavor but cut out all of the busywork nonsense.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

christmas boots posted:

IMO when you pick it up it immediately converts to cash. That way you still get the flavor but cut out all of the busywork nonsense.

that's fine too

Like, there does exist interesting games based around inventory management, but unless you're Death Stranding you aren't one of them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Limited inventory space is good in games like deus ex where it makes you think about what you want to keep and prevents you from simply having all the weapons at once so there’s no character choice. depending on where you fall on the spectrum there’s also some satisfaction in packing everything into your inventory grid just right so everything fits.

But it’s important that decisions about what to keep and what to leave don’t come up too frequently. If it’s an occasional thing like deus ex it’s fine, if you have to think about whether this pencil is worth more than a couple of hairbands every two seconds as you loot another drawer it sucks

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 00:43 on Mar 9, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Weapon durability in games where it's just a matter of popping to town and fixing all your items for 10 quid or whatever is so absolutely pointless. Some games it makes sense, but the game has to be designed around that fact.

Anyway my answer is carrying capacity based around weight. Unless, again, it's a survival game or something. I don't mind slot-based inventory limits, but weight limits are dumb since it's always in games that incentivize picking up all kinds of stuff and simply would waste time walking between a storage unit or a merchant, back to the dungeon where the stuff is.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Wasn't it in FF13 where you get "credit chips" whose description flat out says "Sold for money" but then later on suddenly its used in upgrading equipment?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Leal posted:

Wasn't it in FF13 where you get "credit chips" whose description flat out says "Sold for money" but then later on suddenly its used in upgrading equipment?

Way too many games have done this and the people who designed those games need to be put away somewhere that they can't be a menace to society

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Hey whoever was wondering what weapon to use for a dex build - I found super freaking easy mode today if you’re interested:

god skin peeler (twin blade) with a bleed infusion just annihilates everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tunicate posted:

A weird bit in AC Valhalla where you can run into a side quest where you meet a couple of little kids living on their own. If you're nice to them they give you a necklace as a sign of friendship. Said necklace goes right into your vendor trash pile.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
almost the same thing happens in odyssey too. i wanted to save the necklace the girl made in my stash but it wouldn't let me :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm as jaded as Geralt collecting quest rewards, I'd be dumping those shits on a shopkeep anyway

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Elden Ring, why can't you give me a Ghost Glovewort 8? I've found so many 9s.

And can you please stop crashing? That'd be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Weird thing is, I was worried about Elden Ring having the opposite problem w/r/t upgrade materials. Because in Dark Souls 3 their solution to getting titanite into the player's hands was to just make 80% of the loot in any given area more titanite. On the plus side, it really wasn't a hassle at all to upgrade a new weapon you wanted to try, with enough wiggle room for at least 3-4 different weapons if not a few more. But on the downside it made looting really boring and most of the time I didn't actually need more titanite.