Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The United States posted:

So Lian Li is manufacturing DAN A4 cases now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuwoiyvCQ4U
He always had Lian Li manufacturing the cases, this is just the first/only one they released under their own brand.

IIRC the A4-H2O is similar to the original C4-SFX concept, before Dan redesigned that one to be slightly larger in order to be more generally useful. I guess there was enough demand for the old version for Lian Li to pick it up. It's also much cheaper than the C4 (mostly due to using lots of steel where Dan mostly uses aluminium).

E: Added quote because new page.

orcane fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there itty bitty AMD APU cases? Even if its OEM? I think Lenovo has some but who else?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Seems my eGPU plugged into my Surface Pro 8 (i7/16GB) is a massive success and I can sell my computer parts.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ASRock DeskMini? Not sure how tiny you want to go.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there itty bitty AMD APU cases? Even if its OEM? I think Lenovo has some but who else?

Depending on how small you wanna go:

https://www.servethehome.com/tag/tinyminimicro/

Lenovo, HP, and Dell will all sell you a 1L AMD APU box.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Speaking of APU systems.

New Mac. Dual blower design. Almost zero internal cabling as usual.

Flat PSU the size of the mainboard. GPU type blower.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shaocaholica posted:

Speaking of APU systems.

New Mac. Dual blower design. Almost zero internal cabling as usual.

Flat PSU the size of the mainboard. GPU type blower.

Isn't that going to be loud?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Integrated cpu and gpu, starts at 1999.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Rinkles posted:

We will see, but not necessarily. The Max is pretty thrifty, but you can get it to chug the juice in a dual GPU/CPU power virus style load.

The Ultra is theoretically just 2x a Max, which would still use less power than one of those silly gaming laptops, and it looks like the Studio has a much chunkier cooler than any laptop.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah the 16" with a Max isn't that loud in most cases, and the cooling on the Studio looks like it'll be way more powerful that what's on the 16". If you're running @ 100% load for an extended period of time and those fans actually need to spin all the way up, then it's possible it will be kinda loud (though the larger fans may have a less harsh sound when spun up that what we're used to in MBPs/Minis), but for many people their workloads aren't pegging the CPU or GPU constantly, just in bursts. Apple is marketing that it'll be quiet even under heavy workloads, so I'm thinking for most people it'll be near silent most of the time.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 9, 2022

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Rinkles posted:

I bet under load it will likely be near silent. The fan spinning at 2k rpm in my M1 Mini when I stress it for the express purpose of maxxing it out for extended periods (precisely to see if I can actually hear the fan) is barely audible, the hum from my HDD in my PC next to it is louder.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 9, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The fan spinning at 2k rpm in my M1 Mini when I stress it for the express purpose of maxxing it out for extended is barely audible

That's hard to believe.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Rinkles posted:

That's hard to believe.

Ok.

It's running at 1700rpm right now doing nothing. It is completely silent, you have to press your ear right up against the vents to hear a whoosh of air at all. It goes up to 4500 rpm (which it enver does under load, just if you purposely max it with a utility).

All fans are not the same, this is a tiny, tiny fan - this is not like running a 140mm case fan at 2k.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 9, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

That's hard to believe.

small fans that spin at high rpms are quieter than big fans that spin at high rpms. so no, it's not really hard to believe

your old loud blower gpu probably spun at 4k rpm or something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Ok.

It's running at 1700rpm right now doing nothing. It is completely silent, you have to press your ear right up against the vents to hear a whoosh of air at all.

All fans are not the same, this is a tiny, tiny fan - this is not like running a 140mm case fan at 2k.

Impressive.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Mac Studio is 3.6L 370W psu

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Extremely loving late reply but

Sphyre posted:

I'd definitely be building in the A4-H2O if I didn't have the king of cases (NCASE M1). A lot of great new SFF cases dropping all of a sudden
With all the new ITX offerings in the wake of the NR200, I periodically try to see if there's a <15L case that has a traditional front-to-back airflow path for a 120/140mm intake fan, and end up concluding that buying an NCase back in 2020 was the right move.

I really don't want a much bigger case, I just want more aircooling potential :shrug:

Looking forward to seeing what necere comes up with for the next NCase product.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Shaocaholica posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jZWNbosYMqk

Also the Inwin Chopin is the same thing but more expensive.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I noticed the Aorus 3080 Gaming Box was on sale and in stock... Then I saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWsEQK6pQ4

Would be kind of cool to gut it put this in my M1 case. Probably the smallest 240MM radiator card you'll see.

But I already have a 3080.. so I'm not going to do it.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
/crosspost from the pc building thread:
Wifey needs a low power small form factor pc to run 3440x1440. I'm stupidly hoping we can land a 12100 (not f), to use the igpu but I'm coming to terms this may not be feasible withing the next few weeks.

Should I be looking for 5600G or get a 10100 intel with igpu, which seems to be around 100 bucks atm?
Also are there any goon recommended itx mobos/case combos?

I like a few of these siverstone slim towers, (FTZ01, RVZ01) but will they take a regular power supply? People are saying bewaer even with a fully modular psu, while others say its fantastic to build in.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

I noticed the Aorus 3080 Gaming Box was on sale and in stock... Then I saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhWsEQK6pQ4

Would be kind of cool to gut it put this in my M1 case. Probably the smallest 240MM radiator card you'll see.

But I already have a 3080.. so I'm not going to do it.

The FE cards should be comparable, at least eyeballing it. A 3080 FE with an EK waterblock on it tops out at around 207mm.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

maniacripper posted:

I like a few of these siverstone slim towers, (FTZ01, RVZ01) but will they take a regular power supply? People are saying bewaer even with a fully modular psu, while others say its fantastic to build in.

They both say SFX or SFX-L for the power supply.. If you get one with flexible sleeved cables you should be fine. The ones with the hard rubber cables are a pain sometimes.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

maniacripper posted:

Wifey needs a low power small form factor pc to run 3440x1440. I'm stupidly hoping we can land a 12100 (not f), to use the igpu but I'm coming to terms this may not be feasible withing the next few weeks.

Should I be looking for 5600G or get a 10100 intel with igpu, which seems to be around 100 bucks atm?

Big question is how important are things like cost - overall size - parts compatibility (e.g. there are some that can fit normal ATX sized PSUs) - noise/thermals - ease of build. It sounds like you don't care about GPU compatibility (iGPU only) which makes things easier. Also, what about a NUC? Depending on your requirements you might end up with a smaller package and much less hassle for not too much more money.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

maniacripper posted:

What are her needs? Is it just office work? Do you want to add a GPU later?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Splinter posted:

Big question is how important are things like cost - overall size - parts compatibility (e.g. there are some that can fit normal ATX sized PSUs) - noise/thermals - ease of build. It sounds like you don't care about GPU compatibility (iGPU only) which makes things easier. Also, what about a NUC? Depending on your requirements you might end up with a smaller package and much less hassle for not too much more money.

VulgarandStupid posted:

What are her needs? Is it just office work? Do you want to add a GPU later?

Thank you guys for taking the time to look at it, we basically went with this because we had to order it later that day to have it ready in time, hope we didnt mess up too badly.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/62zBbK

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I really despise the YT thumbnail meta that everyone is stuck in because algorithm poo poo.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

teagone posted:

I really despise the YT thumbnail meta that everyone is stuck in because algorithm poo poo.

I'm confused because the thumbnail shows you the end of the deconstruction so you don't really have to watch the video.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Cheese Thief posted:

Should I build in a secondhand Ncase M1 from ebay, or is there a better sff alternative?

It depends on what you want to put in it and how you want to cool it. Anything hotter than 5800X (135W TDP iirc) you may want to throw an AIO in to keep things cool. Larger GPUs may require you to remove the front I/O panel to create wiggle room during the install; had to do it for my Asus 3080. If your PSU has dasiy-chained VGA power leads, they can make it a real pain in the rear end to put the side panel on. Cable management can be a little tough in the M1, but not impossible.

I'm super happy with my M1 and see myself using it until there's a better / higher airflow case in the 12-15L size range. It's a really well designed case, fairly easy to build in for ITX, and has the versatility to do 2x240 radiators if you want to get into custom water cooling. The M1 is no longer in production, so getting spare parts is going to a challenge if you should need them.

If you're open to buying a new case, the leading SFF content creator just released a new video today on the best ITX cases currently available.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Louqe is also designing the S2 which seems like a middle ground between the M1 and NR200.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
a while ago I brought up the Velkase Velka line to someone and they opined that there were better options around for that concept, any recommendations?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
also, what is the terminology for those dense shoebox case builds with giant air coolers (like NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, or 120mm dual towers), and does anyone know a few models I could look at there?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

usually when people talk about 'shoebox cases' they mean something like the Dan Case A4, which absolutely cannot fit a giant air cooler unless you leave the side panel off

the FormD T1 is another case in that genre, slightly larger but better cooling support (240mm aio, i think the dan case is limited to one specific model of 92mm aio)

most people refer to this style of case as the 'sandwich layout': mobo + psu on one side, gpu on the other

no idea about velka alternatives, wonder if they meant taobao copycats

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I bought a Sliger S620.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

To me, "shoebox" is the term I use for what the pre-Ncase M1 cases tended to look like, the Silverstone SG-05 or more recently SG-13 being the iconic models. They literally look like shoeboxes, or large toasters. I generally found these cases difficult to build in, if I am being honest, and not worth it when more 'modern' designs like the NR200 are readily available.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

I bought a Sliger S620.
very cool, interested to hear how it works out for you

sliger has some interesting ideas and god awful aesthetics (imo)

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

denereal visease posted:

very cool, interested to hear how it works out for you

sliger has some interesting ideas and god awful aesthetics (imo)

I know what you mean. I'm using an SV590 with the "minimalist" side panels, since the normal ones are strange looking and less breathable. The build quality is a little on the rough side (the wrap-around front panel isn't bent 100% square so it's hard to screw into place) but temperatures have been great. It was a little tricky to build in, since some wires and tubes have only one way they'll fit around other components while still being able to reach their destination since it's so tall.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
A shoebox case is what I would call the one on the far right, under his arm, but even so it is much larger than an actual shoebox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWKATJXOLZ4

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Paul MaudDib posted:

also, what is the terminology for those dense shoebox case builds with giant air coolers (like NH-D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, or 120mm dual towers), and does anyone know a few models I could look at there?

I have a DRP4 in a Lian Li TU150, which while mITX is still rather large for SFF. It's something like 23 L IIRC which some people barely even consider SFF. The DRP4 is so tall though that you really need something fat like the TU150 to fit it -- it barely fits in the TU150. The NR200 is essentially a slightly sized down TU150 (at something ~18L IIRC), and I think technically it doesn't even have enough clearance for the DRP4. I believe you can make it work if you deshroud it and downsize the 135mm fan to something smaller, but at that point you may as well just get a slightly shorter cooler like the FUMA 2. The TU150 is a great case if you want a giant air cooler and plenty of GPU clearance. It's very well built and easy to work in. However, I'd probably choose the NR200 over it as it still offers plenty of CPU cooler & GPU clearance for air cooling, is cheaper, and has the option of top exhaust fans which is better for thermals (the TU150 doesn't due to the handle, though IIRC people have modded the case to fit a 120 or 140mm top fan while still maintaining the handle functionality). The TU150 is just a little bigger than it needs to be. I unfortunately pulled the trigger on the TU150 right before the NR200 was released.

Just to give you an idea just how huge something like a DRP4 is in a mITX case, here's a pic I posted somewhere up thread right after my build (GPU has since been replaced with a 3070 that I managed to snag early 2021, so it's now making much better use of the case's GPU clearance):

The heatsink essentially covers the entire mITX board outside out the GPU slot. It makes building a little tricky, as you need to put the heatsink on prior to installing the mobo, which means it can be a huge struggle to connect the case light/front panel IO cables depending on the mobo layout (since those cables typically are hardwired to the case). PSU cables can at least be installed prior to dropping the board into the case if the PSU is modular. If I had to do it again I would've got extension cables for some of the front panel I/O and put them on prior to the heatsink (IIRC at one point I was using tweezers to try to get the front panel audio connected).

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

There's no specific thread (I don't think?) for what I'm looking for, but I think you guys would at least be able to push me in the right direction.

I am looking for a small, simple way to run Windows on a whim. There are very very few times where I *need* Windows these days, but it's more than 0. I need USB, wifi support, some amount of storage, and HDMI.

Amazon sells these quirky HDMI sticks that have everything I need: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Windows-Support-Bluetooth-AIOEXPC/dp/B08PF6K5NZ

They go for about $100 or so, but they also seem to offer a lot more usability than I would use -- so I'm wondering if there's a cheaper option available. $100 isn't a bad price for what I'd be getting at all, but I really need like, nothing major. It'll be for programs that for some reason don't work correctly in Parallels or when it's just easier to, y'know, be on an actual copy of Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

There's no specific thread (I don't think?) for what I'm looking for, but I think you guys would at least be able to push me in the right direction.

I am looking for a small, simple way to run Windows on a whim. There are very very few times where I *need* Windows these days, but it's more than 0. I need USB, wifi support, some amount of storage, and HDMI.

Amazon sells these quirky HDMI sticks that have everything I need: https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Windows-Support-Bluetooth-AIOEXPC/dp/B08PF6K5NZ

They go for about $100 or so, but they also seem to offer a lot more usability than I would use -- so I'm wondering if there's a cheaper option available. $100 isn't a bad price for what I'd be getting at all, but I really need like, nothing major. It'll be for programs that for some reason don't work correctly in Parallels or when it's just easier to, y'know, be on an actual copy of Windows.

Like a Kangaroo Plus or a Latte Panda?