Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

It really is funny how many people are stepping on rakes over this.

https://twitter.com/jimmyvan74/status/1501235497028493316

what does this guy think the job of a commentator is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MassRafTer posted:

"If they had done this thing badly, it might have been bad".

Some real loving geniuses on Twitter tonight!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

https://twitter.com/THEVinceRusso/status/1501248890007289857

wrap it up aewailures

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MassRafTer posted:

People in the replies are like “But Excalibur explained what it was on commentary” and he replies “Yeah but I think he only did that because he could tell people were confused” and it is another window into how bad people can be at the simple act of watching TV

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

When something happens which references something I don't know about I think "I'd like to learn more about that"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Trying posted:

When something happens which references something I don't know about I think "I'd like to learn more about that"

Congratulations on being an adult

It blows my mind how many people are so self centered that they feel entitled to have everything cater to them specifically

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

xbilkis posted:

People in the replies are like “But Excalibur explained what it was on commentary” and he replies “Yeah but I think he only did that because he could tell people were confused” and it is another window into how bad people can be at the simple act of watching TV

Excalibur, on the spot, realized that an arena filled with cheering fans (many of whom were singing along to the music) and the entire at-home viewing audience were confused. He really is the best in the game.

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

Elephant Ambush posted:

Congratulations on being an adult

It blows my mind how many people are so self centered that they feel entitled to have everything cater to them specifically

which is funny because why would you have that sense of entitlement yet watch WWE, which caters exclusively to the whims of an insane old man with goo brains?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I even think it’s fine to go “I didn’t immediately understand this niche reference and was lost until it got explained.” It’s nonsense to go “I didn’t immediately understand this niche reference, and that’s inherently bad even though it was explained on commentary.”

People need to have a sense of scale and understand that 20 seconds of confusion during a 4 hour broadcast can maybe be OK in service of a larger story and a segment of the audience it will really, really connect with. (And also, people outside spaces like this thread need to stop giving stuff like this oxygen even if it feels good to dunk on. So much of online wrestling discourse can boil down to “Whooooooooo carreeeeeessssss”)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Trying posted:

I had this feeling when I started watching Doctor Who. I started at the weeping angel episode and went through the end of that season. And there were so many references that it made the world feel lived in. I never felt scared or confused lol. It made me like the show more. I love that feeling of trying to figure out the lore.

These people on twitter must hate Fromsoft games.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

Excalibur, on the spot, realized that an arena filled with cheering fans (many of whom were singing along to the music) and the entire at-home viewing audience were confused. He really is the best in the game.

I mean, yes.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

It's just another chance for people to concern-troll about Alienating the Casual Viewer

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

every time i don't understand a reference to something my wife leaves me again

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This is why WWE made like a billion dollars, so many people are dumb as hell and assume everyone else is dumb as hell, too.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Wrestling is the only niche product where fanboys consistently handwring about appealing to "Casual Viewers" and it's kind of hilarious compared to like Gamers who poo poo their pants at the thought of casual fans being allowed to play their games

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
AEW is the Dark Souls of wrestling, apparently.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Stone Punkbull 141 posted:

AEW is the Dark Souls of wrestling, apparently.

By that comparison WWE would be like Anthem or the Avengers game, one of them games that cost a billion dollars to make and gets massive marketing hype and everyone plays it but nobody actually likes it.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Drakkel posted:

By that comparison WWE would be like Anthem or the Avengers game, one of them games that cost a billion dollars to make and gets massive marketing hype and everyone plays it but nobody actually likes it.

Would that make GCW Devolver Digital?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drakkel posted:

Wrestling is the only niche product where fanboys consistently handwring about appealing to "Casual Viewers" and it's kind of hilarious compared to like Gamers who poo poo their pants at the thought of casual fans being allowed to play their games

and they're the same people in a lot of cases

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Drakkel posted:

If Ubisoft made Elden Ring:

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I was just thinking to myself the other day how some wrestling fans come up with weird logic for complaining about things like this. Cobra Kai had Carrie Underwood cover a song from the first Karate Kid movie. You wouldn't get the reference without going back to a movie from the 80s but I doubt anyone is as baffled by it. Do fans of the Marvel movies bitch about "how am I supposed to take the loss of half of humanity serious when it's some goofy purple bastard doing it and there's a talking racoon from some outlaw mud show running around?"

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I don't get why people who don't get the reference care, he just came out to a different song. If you don't get why what does it matter? It's just an entrance theme. Undertaker came out to johnny cash once and people didn't poo poo themselves cause they didn't understand it.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Marvel fans have a whole industry of "explainer" articles so no "easter egg" goes unfound. same with Star Wars. wrestling fans are just super defensive because the thing they like is absolute mass popularity poison so their version of an easter egg explainer article is "I didn't know what this was and that's why nobody else watches this."

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Karma Tornado posted:

Marvel fans have a whole industry of "explainer" articles so no "easter egg" goes unfound. same with Star Wars. wrestling fans are just super defensive because the thing they like is absolute mass popularity poison so their version of an easter egg explainer article is "I didn't know what this was and that's why nobody else watches this."

It's partly because WWE has trained them to expect everything to be spoonfed to them. Like, they wanted someone on an AEW TV show to tell them that was Punk's old ROH entrance before he did it at the PPV so they could be "in on it" instead of it being the amazing surprise that it was

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Drakkel posted:

I don’t think this is true necessarily - baseball has had years of debate about rule changes ostensibly designed to make the game more appealing to casual fans, and there are a decent number of hardcore fans who support the changes on those grounds (although there are more traditionalists opposed to them). I assume the same is true for other things that are dealing with steep falls from a peak in popularity, but you usually have to put in a little more legwork to get to those corners of the fandom.

I think it’s way more pervasive (and more annoying) in wrestling for a few reasons:

-Wrestling fan discourse is to a strange degree centered on maximizing revenue generation rather than subjective quality
-Many wresting fans seem to live in a state of paranoia about the medium ceasing to exist (which I guess is understandable to a certain extent, given WWE monopolization over the past 20+ years)
-Others yearn for a bygone era in which their niche interest was mainstream, not understanding that the diversification of media options has basically made it impossible to recreate late 90s conditions
-A vocal contingent of online wrestling fans have not actually enjoyed any wrestling product in the past two decades, and appealing to the idea of new/casual fans is just a tool to argue for the superiority of their preferred vision of wrestling
-Wrestling fans have a propensity to exist in a media consumption bubble that gives them a very bad perspective on what would actually appeal to people who aren’t currently fans

Like, you don’t have high-profile weirdo baseball Twitter accounts called @MLBFails where they post clips of guys swinging at a high and outside fastball or hitting directly into a shift and posting “Lmao clown poo poo 😂😂😂 This is why the fans aren’t coming back Manfraud” with hundreds of people who post about baseball every day egging them on in the comments. People have the dignity to just move on and find a new interest

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

The best thing you can do as a booker is to never ever do anything Vince Russo suggests.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Drakkel posted:

I thimk that if AEW was appealing to casuals (it 100% is, because it has colourful characters, entertaining storylines and puts on amazingly good and fun matches on free TV weekly, but if the Twitter wrestling weirdoes thought it was and the WWE wasn't), they'd be shouting elitist poo poo about keeping out the casuals and the women. AEW literally can't win because these people decided it must be bad and are now trying to justify that position with whatever poo poo they can think of.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

God the way wrestling fans care so much about how much money the companies are making is also really weird. Like so many fanboys on twitter will counter any AEW/WWE comparison with "Yeah but they make more money so they're clearly better" like somehow that's supposed to matter to anybody besides shareholders. I COULD go to a fancy restaurant but Burger King makes more money so clearly their food is better.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Wrestling fandom is sports fandom but not quite hence everything

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trying posted:

Wrestling fandom is sports fandom but not quite hence everything

It’s somehow the worse of sports fandom and pop culture fandom at the same time. Because at least a lot of sports fans are routinely humbled by losses. But wrestling fans just trade weird barometers for “winning” like a bunch of people arguing that the streaming numbers are bigger than the box office.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Wrestling fans know that everyone thinks they’re a massive idiot for watching wrestling, they’re desperate for validation.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's partly because WWE has trained them to expect everything to be spoonfed to them. Like, they wanted someone on an AEW TV show to tell them that was Punk's old ROH entrance before he did it at the PPV so they could be "in on it" instead of it being the amazing surprise that it was

Wrestling fans above all other fandoms definitely get the angriest and most defensive about not 'getting' something. Was there discourse over MJF using old Punk promo lines in the go home show before the PPV?

Genuinely curious if the wrestling discourse would be better if WWE didn't have a pile of poo poo for a product, but NJPW hardcore fans seem to indicate that it would just be a different flavor of the same sauce.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I thimk that if AEW was appealing to casuals (it 100% is, because it has colourful characters, entertaining storylines and puts on amazingly good and fun matches on free TV weekly, but if the Twitter wrestling weirdoes thought it was and the WWE wasn't), they'd be shouting elitist poo poo about keeping out the casuals and the women. AEW literally can't win because these people decided it must be bad and are now trying to justify that position with whatever poo poo they can think of.

the kind of people who worry about AEW not attracting casual fans are saying that because they think casual fans don't actually want to watch the wrestling matches

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

From my limited experience the two things that best attract casual fans are:

1) funny stuff

2) cool stuff

Luckily AEW has quite a lot of both.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Shard posted:

I had this feeling when I started watching Doctor Who. I started at the weeping angel episode and went through the end of that season. And there were so many references that it made the world feel lived in. I never felt scared or confused lol. It made me like the show more. I love that feeling of trying to figure out the lore.

Let me tell you about Big Finish...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Akileese posted:

Wrestling fans above all other fandoms definitely get the angriest and most defensive about not 'getting' something. Was there discourse over MJF using old Punk promo lines in the go home show before the PPV?

Genuinely curious if the wrestling discourse would be better if WWE didn't have a pile of poo poo for a product, but NJPW hardcore fans seem to indicate that it would just be a different flavor of the same sauce.

Given how the AEW thread can get it'd probably still be there and annoying but nowhere near the level WWE gets

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CobiWann posted:

My favorite Big Finish joke is the meme of 12s speech from when the Cybermen were attacking him and he was pleading for the masters to help him and he has this great line like "it's certainly not because it's cheap!"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CobiWann posted:

Big Finish is the reason why Eight is my favourite Doctor. And the reason why Six is in my top five instead of dead last.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Akileese posted:

the promo joe youtube channel generally has my back for that kind of stuff.

it's funny too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9hvZNiuSHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MONSTERMATTTRAV/status/1501339969297731587?s=20&t=y9hsCfDuoVRNK3Lpq0oDcA

https://twitter.com/MONSTERMATTTRAV/status/1501344154097442820?s=20&t=y9hsCfDuoVRNK3Lpq0oDcA