Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

ASAPI posted:

I've seen statements like this a few times now and they confuse me.

I am under the impression that the bulk of the forces currently deployed are conscripts that are poorly trained. I am also under the impression that the Russian military uses these conscriptions to make up their force, with very few being a "career soldier".

Under a system like this, why do they place the "strength" of the military at peak conscription levels? Are they just counting bodies/vehicles with no regard to their effectiveness/training?

I'm not sure the exact breakdown of Russian conscripts vs contract soldiers (what we could consider a normal enlistment) physically present in Ukraine right now, but as recently as post-Crimea, doctrinally, the Russian mil uses conscripts for jobs that aren't expected to involve direct combat - truck drivers, cooks, other trades, etc. Contract soldiers fulfill the infantry role. Essentially, someone who wanted to be infantry would need to volunteer for it, although many volunteers are likely motivated simply by desire to have better pay and living conditions compared to conscript life.

This is from a War College professor's briefing written a solid half decade ago, so it's entirely possible the conscripts are being used in a more frontline role than they were in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/firstsquawk/status/1501261009385787396?s=21

So does that mean he’s turning off the pipelines?

Edit:

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1501263231947612162?s=21

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 8, 2022

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We're just tearing up all the sanction playbooks here

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
weird how the right wing globally increased our dependency on fossil fuels from Russia in recent years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Oh look, he made the choice FOR Germany.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Oh look, he made the choice FOR Germany.

Yeah, it’s pretty lol. Man Merkle hosed that country.

I wonder if there’s a specific exemption for China in his decree? Still congrats on turning your country into the largest version of North Korea ever.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

So uh. I'm gonna guess you can't run a modern country with no imports and no exports.

Are there even any examples of countries that have actually operated that way? I can't think of any historical ones.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

So uh. I'm gonna guess you can't run a modern country with no imports and no exports.

Juche time bitches!

Ahahahaha

https://twitter.com/firstsquawk/status/1501269166740758532?s=21

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Wow we should look at who's been pushing crypto lately?

Oh wow it was made up by a loving ghost? And loved by billionaires and criminals?

And while Nvidia is being ransomed to remove GPU mining limiters?

drat can't believe this could happen right now

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 8, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
MiG Party at Rammstein!

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/1501268895939837954

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

How much Russian gas and oil does France export?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Poland just announced that they're officially onboard with trading their MiG-29 fleet to Ukraine (via US intermediaries) in exchange for secondhand US jets to backfill.

https://www.gov.pl/web/diplomacy/st...anes-to-ukraine

E:f;b

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Are there even any examples of countries that have actually operated that way? I can't think of any historical ones.

Pre-Edo era Japan?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Source for the Russian Export Ban

https://ria.ru/20220308/putin-1777185533.html

Decree itself
http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Document/View/0001202203080005

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Looks like that some netfuckery is afoot.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChubbyChecker posted:

Moscow is going to have some power problems shortly I suspect...or wherever Cyber Command decides to gently caress them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How many MiG-29s does Poland have?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Holy poo poo it's happening. Could this also see expedited delivery of the F-35s that Poland has on order, or just us scraping up some spare F-16s to supplement their current fleet?

psydude posted:

23 according to Wikipedia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ChubbyChecker posted:

I noticed a bunch of stuff being slow/not working, figured it's this. Good times.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arrath posted:

23 according to Wikipedia.

Well that's certainly a number.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

psydude posted:

20-30ish IIRC.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

:nice:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ChubbyChecker posted:

Thats a lot of major services suffering major outages at a suspicious time. I don't think we have odds on this being a weakwristed "cyberattack" vs some knockon effect from yet another AWS outage.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Grand Fromage posted:

I noticed a bunch of stuff being slow/not working, figured it's this. Good times.

Discord wasn't loading for me at all a few minutes ago and this explains it.

Owning The Libs Europe.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

psydude posted:

Well that's certainly a number.

And what's the usual rule of thumb, figure no more than half are combat capable, a quarter are undergoing routine stuff and the remaining quarter are torn apart in depot somewhere?

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 8, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Rammstein is the band, the air base is at Ramstein (which the band named itself after).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Rammstein is the band, the air base is at Ramstein (which the band named itself after).

No, Rammstein themselves are the proxy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQM1c-XCDc

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Spain tried, from the end of the civil war until 1959 and Albania and India tried until 1991.

It's not a coincidence the years they stopped mark the beginning of massive economic booms.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ukraine Trolling is Just Sublime
https://twitter.com/Armia_fm/status/1501276400938098693?s=20&t=l1lsfa52oxpdbmpr9_bxpA
"2nd Army in the World, they said."

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats a lot of major services suffering major outages at a suspicious time. I don't think we have odds on this being a weakwristed "cyberattack" vs some knockon effect from yet another AWS outage.

Discord and Spotify are largely on GCP, but AWS and Facebook properties also saw simultaneous upswings. I still think yet another BGP fuckup or major east coast fiber cut is more likely though, versus Russia launching a wet fart of a cybernuke.

Stuff is mostly coming back now too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ANOTHER AIRBORNE ATTACK :lmao:

https://twitter.com/pmakela1/status/1501249293763682307?s=20&t=l1lsfa52oxpdbmpr9_bxpA

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That report is pretty sketch. A claim of 3 choppers carrying 120 people supported by a video of trucks on a road?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
So are Poland getting block 70 F-16s?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

mlmp08 posted:

That report is pretty sketch. A claim of 3 choppers carrying 120 people supported by a video of trucks on a road?

I've seen that road footage a day or three ago, it is old.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, I suspect it was just attached to show a general vibe of "gently caress around and find out."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Does Russia even have medium-lift helos capable of fitting that many people like the Chinook?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

psydude posted:

Does Russia even have medium-lift helos capable of fitting that many people like the Chinook?

Yes, the Mi-26 can carry up to 90 pax.

edit: Actually they could be using Mi-38s which can hold up to 40. For reference a Chinook's capacity is listed at 33. Low elevation in Ukraine so maybe they can squeeze even more in there.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 8, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

Mi-26 - Wikipedia says 316 built but no breakdown by operator and there are a lot.

Over 17,000 Mi-8s were built on the other hand. The Mi-8 can nominally carry 24 passengers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1501288850055995396?s=20&t=FZh8DrCPNUGGkmnBno1h2w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I read A Taste of War that had more info on how different WWII armies managed food and cooking. I don't recall exactly how Germany and the Soviets managed it although I would assume the Soviets had some dedicated logistics people so they didn't have to throw truck drivers and train engineers into trenches as a matter of policy. On the light hearted side there were photos of grinning Australian sailors who got to visit US ships and had heaping plates of food including ice cream, on the flip side Japanese infantry on islands were given sacks of rice and expected to figure it out, leading to tens of thousands of Japanese non-combat deaths.

My grandpa, a west Texas dirt farmer kid who joined up to serve in WWII because it meant he could actually eat, would wax poetically about the wonders of actually getting enough food while with the navy. He *loved* the ship he was on just for the chow hall.

When the fridges broke halfway to Guam it was all you could eat ice cream and fried chicken every day. Then all you could drink melted ice cream with fried chicken. *Then* it was just fried chicken that you were careful about biting into on account of the steadily growing ring of black around the bone.

To bring this back around to the actual topic, seems like my company's gotten most of our folks out of Ukraine... save for the native residents that decided to stay behind and fight.