Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

"I don't understand this show or have any love for its characters, let me write an article demanding it change"

Peggy Hill is a perfect being of light, and should not change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Peggy, is that you?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

"I don't understand this show or have any love for its characters, let me write an article demanding it change"

I disagree, I think she’s too meek and her feet are too small.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Peace be with you

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Starting season 12 on my watch-through, and while season 11 was pretty dire, 12 has started out strong. Death Picks Cotton is fantastic, it hits the sentimental beats really well without betraying Cotton's character. Peggy's hateful rant at him right before he dies, and her lying to Hank about Cotton's last words, are both smart choices and I'm glad the show had the balls to not walk either of them back.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s still funny up to the end. The episode when hank works at the organic coop is good

I just got to that episode last night and was pleasantly surprised that the plot didn't have Hank realizing the hippie way of doing things sucks. Yeah they're naive dopes who end up selling out, but their organic co-op just unquestionably makes great food, then Hank introduces them to profit and efficiency and it ends up ruining the whole thing. The Appleseed coda is really sweet, too.

That episode opens with an all-timer quote that I never would've guessed was in season 12:
Hank: Firm, but with a little give. Yup, these are medium rare.
Bobby: What if somebody wants theirs well-done?
Hank: We ask them politely, yet firmly, to leave.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

All the coop hippies hiding behind cash registers because a dude with tassels on shoes walks in.

Hank empathizing with them, he doesn’t like it either. But he also sees a customer who is tired of big business flavorless food.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I just want to say that my spouse got me on the organic meat and veggies train about 10 years ago and it really does taste better. It might just be my brain tricking me into thinking more expensive == better but I don't care.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tears of an Inflatable Clown is a bad episode.

But it's followed by The Minh Who Knew Too Much.

A For Effort posted:

I think that's easily the worst episode in the entire show's run. So generic and predictable. Late series KOTH strawman episode #34

In contrast, watched this episode last night too and yeah it's terrible. Its moral is literally this comic, but unironically:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another Bill posted:

I just want to say that my spouse got me on the organic meat and veggies train about 10 years ago and it really does taste better. It might just be my brain tricking me into thinking more expensive == better but I don't care.

A lot of produce is bred for looks/ease of transport, not flavor.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The reason Peggy is a good character is because she's the one who gets to do fun schemes and plots with Hank as the straight man instead of just being a buzzkill ruining the dad's fun like a lot of sitcom moms. Bob's Burgers is a similar setup

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dacap posted:

The reason Peggy is a good character is because she's the one who gets to do fun schemes and plots with Hank as the straight man instead of just being a buzzkill ruining the dad's fun like a lot of sitcom moms. Bob's Burgers is a similar setup

It's basically flip Homer & Marge's roles, but make them a little less zany, and you got Hank & Peggy.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

seiferguy posted:

It's basically flip Homer & Marge's roles, but make them a little less zany, and you got Hank & Peggy.

Exactly, it's good to have a mom character not just be a nagging scold with her own character and flaws, and it's needed to balance Hank who is meant to be the rational straight man focus character reacting to an increasingly unfamiliar world.

In the latter seasons they just go a bit too far with making too many episodes "Hank defeats a liberal" as a plot

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Hank defeated George W Bush, the ultimate liberal

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The most Hank thing is that when you see their wedding photo instead of kissing they are shaking hands. It explains so much why he could not get over Bush's handshake sucking.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

pixaal posted:

The most Hank thing is that when you see their wedding photo instead of kissing they are shaking hands. It explains so much why he could not get over Bush's handshake sucking.

Someone should have explained to Hank that not kissing his wife on their wedding day would make him appear abnormal. He’d have done it then. He has an irrational fear and hatred of non-conformity.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Hank on the first date: "Boy howdy, Miss Platter, that's a mighty fine handshake."

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tender Bender posted:

I just got to that episode last night and was pleasantly surprised that the plot didn't have Hank realizing the hippie way of doing things sucks. Yeah they're naive dopes who end up selling out, but their organic co-op just unquestionably makes great food, then Hank introduces them to profit and efficiency and it ends up ruining the whole thing. The Appleseed coda is really sweet, too.

i think the earlier seasons have more episodes like this, where Hank has some negative opinion of something banal but "weird" to him and he's proven wrong. later in the series it gets lazier and Hank just became a more of a conservative complainer

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Hank: "You know, if I hadnt hurt my back that day, I wouldve known she couldnt cook, and then i wouldve been forced to not marry this little gal."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Do you think Alex Trebek is sexy, Aunt Peg?

Get out of my mind, Luanne.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, really? Well, speaking of hell, if I wasn't so in control of my emotions, I'd be inclined to say that's the sort of place you should consider making a visit towards!

*GASP

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how there’s a lot of little times in the series where Hank shows he barely tolerates Peggy’s cooking

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I didn't marry you because I need someone to cook and clean for me. I married you because... you know... the love.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I mean she does have a legendary Brown Betty.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

add ginger

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Spa-Peggy and Meatballs :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't even remember the context right now but the funniest Nancy line is when she's cursing God and yells "Why, Sug, why???"

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i've got to admit that i didn't like lucky at first but upon rewatch he's really grown on me

"were you in the state oil rig, or federal"

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
also both deducing it was hank and peggy in the railroad car bathroom and having the tact to keep it between him and peggy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't even remember the context right now but the funniest Nancy line is when she's cursing God and yells "Why, Sug, why???"

When Dale ran out of their re-wedding to confront his dad about being a G-man at the gahaaaaay rodeo

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

dolphinbomb posted:

I didn't marry you because I need someone to cook and clean for me. I married you because... you know... the love.

I’m approaching you with…romantic intent

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

External Organs posted:

I mean she does have a legendary Brown Betty.

:colbert:

Brown PEGGY

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Her Frito Pie is probably alright.

Love the moment when they're having the potluck for Reverend Stroup and it's at least 2/3s Frito Pie.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
"Hank doesn't want me, he wants younger, equally pretty, women"

I don't want to imagine a King of the Hill without that Peggy Hill in it. She's perfection.

I've seriously never understood the Peggy Hill hate. She is my favorite animated character by a long shot. Everything she says is gold.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I don't want to imagine a King of the Hill without that Peggy Hill in it. She's perfection.

I've seriously never understood the Peggy Hill hate. She is my favorite animated character by a long shot. Everything she says is gold.

back when I was going to school in Texas I didn't need another Peggy in my life

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Her Frito Pie is probably alright.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Everyone hates her unless they know an IRL Peggy Hill and suddenly she loops around to being hilarious.

dolphinbomb fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 9, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

seiferguy posted:

It's one of the weakest things about good simpsons. Doubly so because some of the best episodes are marge being as crazy as the rest of them

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Agreed. Peggy is a great character and no more hosed up or annoying than any of the other ones. I don't "like her" but I like her character a lot. You're not meant to sympathize with her.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Peepee money is not an employment history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Zero One posted:

Peepee money is not an employment history.

Don't matter, he ain't nivver gon hafta werk agin.