Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hurray, progress! :whoop:

You know for a moment there I expected Anya to charm the old lady somehow, maybe with her muscles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Some anime info in english

https://twitter.com/animetv_jp/status/1500487164806807558?s=20&t=TfUJRQsEuGYyAjZ8BibCDA

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Your sacrifice was not in vain little peanut.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i believe in starlight anya

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Cool choice of a name for the new teacher. Aside from the obvious direct translation of Schlag being "strike" or "to strike", which works for lightning the same way in German that it does in English (lightning strike -> Blitzschlag), receiving a "Schlag" also very directly means receiving an electric shock, even when not otherwise paired with atmospheric phenomena.

I'll excuse her first name as a bit or artistic license, since while a thunder bolt is equivalent to a lightning bolt in English, the translation of her name works out to a thunder strike instead which is quite a different thing (just sound, no lightning). But Donna is an actual women's name and a good choice, and it's actually closer to the original meaning of a tonitrus, which is also just thunder and not actually lightning :)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I burst out laughing a bit at the last page.

Poor Loid.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Anya correctly identified that Ms Tonitrus only cared about giving out strikes, not about the legitimacy behind them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are a lot of older administrators in schools who fundamentally despise children.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So all of them :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Elfface posted:

Anya correctly identified that Ms Tonitrus only cared about giving out strikes, not about the legitimacy behind them.

Yeah, my Golden Ending™ for the series is now a list:

1: Loid, Yor and Anya becoming a real family :kimchi:
2: Schlag getting schlagged :colbert:

Twitter's kind of laggy on my connection- any news on how they're handling the ending, if any?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

This is what's finally gonna force me to get a crunchyroll sub I guess

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/spyfamily_anime/status/1504653826435035138

I dunno if I'm a fan of Anya's voice

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dexo posted:

I dunno if I'm a fan of Yoru's voice

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

yeah, same

but they nailed scruffy's va, and that's all that matters

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Youtube version (with subtitles!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXigq9aIpo

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I know it's not easy to find good child actors, but getting an adult to feign such a young girl's voice rarely (if ever) works, so it's not a good alternative. And -- no surprises -- it's not working here.

The animation from that trailer also didn't look particularly impressive.

Welp, at the least, the manga will continue to delight and this adaptation can be safely ignored.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 18, 2022

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Out of the top of my head, I only seem to remember two anime adaptations that had good VAs for children characters: Barakamon and Usagi Drop. There's likely more, but I don't watch that many shows.

All that to say when one of your story's main character is meant to be a really young child, picking the right VA makes a world of difference, otherwise it's just "hello fellow kids" with a very high pitched voice.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't know what you guys are on about, Anya's voice is fine.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I actually like her voice.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Kotaro Lives Alone recently aired on Netflix and Kugimiya Rie did a pretty good kid voice imo (the series is also great btw)

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I thought the anime looked and sounded ok?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Fangz posted:

I don't know what you guys are on about, Anya's voice is fine.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's only one voice that matters and that's Daybreak's.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Her voice is fine and the animation looks plenty good to me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah it all looks fantastic, y'all are nuts

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Chapter 62 part 1: Another time, another place, another war.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

narm00 posted:

Chapter 62 part 1: Another time, another place, another war.

Jesus that's a flashback.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

This is the perfect time for this backstory, just as the anime’s about to come out.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Despite being mostly comedy, Spy x Family handled the occasional serious bit about war really well too, so.... uh, I am both curious and concerned about this flashback. :staredog:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:ohdear:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Absolutely shameful gaps in Westalis' intelligence services to allow the son of an Ostanian spy to rise so high

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This seems relevant for 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I would not be surprised if that's why the mangaka decided to pull out this story now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Current, adult Loid hug your family

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In a vacuum, I'm kind of wary of the fact that Twilight got hit by his dad and the rest of the chapter is about proving his dad right and Twilight trying to unilaterally improve their relationship after reading other manga kinda flub similar stuff, but in context I'm fine with it. The chapter does have Twilight realize his father was correct, but his father also has a strained home life and it's somewhat suggested that Twilight is on some level emulating his father with the wargames. It's just complex enough for it to work for me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DrakePegasus posted:

This is the perfect time for this backstory, just as the anime’s about to come out.

Pretty much there's an explicit chapter 1 callback.

Which also has this page

Which of course the anime is gonna cover in it's first episode.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
At last, forelock and glasses guys is officially part of everyone's backstory.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Pretty much there's an explicit chapter 1 callback.

Which also has this page

Which of course the anime is gonna cover in it's first episode.

Dang. Now I can't wait for the next chapter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

First episode is up on Crunchyroll, disappointed in how they handled "turn around and you're dead" but other than that I'm happy with it. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Anya just being absolutely adorable really does carry the anime (and manga of course) on its own, not that it ever needs to.